Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

OS X 10.11 El Capitan official release thread

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Have the Sims 4 team acknowledged that the December patch hasn't worked or is that it? No more Sims 4 for Mac forgotten again as with the problems in Sims 3 Seasons..

Yep. It's extremely frustrating for those whose games don't work. It would be courteous if @SimGuruJanitor could post with an update maybe?

apple-signature.png
  • olive337337olive337337 Posts: 410 Member
    edited December 2015
    I know others are having similar problems, but I just wanted to add mine to the list! I originally thought GTW was the source of my problems but I'm thinking now that it's actually El Capitan, because I'm having the same graphical errors as others and then crashing.

Here is info about my computer:

OS X El Capitan version 10.11.1
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
    Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB

I updated from a previous version of OS X.

I have Get to Work, Spa Day, and the holiday stuff pack.

Here's info from my config.log:

=== Graphics device info ===
    Number: 0
    Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
    Name (database): GeForce GTX 660M [Found: 1, Supported: 1]
    Vendor: NVIDIA
    Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 0fe0, Board: 00000010, Chipset: 00a2
    Driver: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M OpenGL Engine, Version: 0.310.42.24321
    Driver version: 24321
    Monitor: 00000000
    Texture memory: 512MB
    Vertex program: 4.10
    Pixel program: 4.10
    Hardware TnL: 0
    Opt. features: +sab +a8l8 -rgba16f +r32f -bc4 -bc5 -rawz -intz

Recently it's been crashing without graphic issues, but crashing all the same. If this is helpful, here's an excerpt from the crash report that popped up when my game crashed for the third time in twenty minutes! (this is what compelled me to come here finally)

Crashed Thread: 19

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
    Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000001321dd8c0
    Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

I hope this issue gets resolved soon, because it's really impacting how I can play the game!
  • cbartsch69cbartsch69 Posts: 169 Member
    It seems like this must be my problem, too! How upsetting to learn that so many Mac Simmers are having issues, but I'm also glad to know I'm not alone. Hopefully that means that EA is already working on a fix (please!!!).

I only had had 1-2 crashes after hundreds of hours of playing before I installed Get Together. Now it's all the time. I'd post my info, but I've already done that in another thread, and it's pretty much identical to olive337337's.

Anyone have any info. on whether or not EA is actually working on a fix for this? I had my doubts about Sims 4 (didn't buy until it was on a steep discount) and thought I'd been pleasantly surprised, but now all those old fears from Sims 3 are back again...
  • ShadilyShadily Posts: 11 New Member
    Ok, people, here's a thing... My hdd went bad and I had to replaced it. Then I installed all again with my new hdd: El Capitan, Origin and The Sims 4. Now, I'm testing and I can play again. I dont have so much time playing but it's not like the other time with my old hdd that I could not play even a minute. Not sure whats happening, but I think it's a great info. Maybe it's just some data error why we could not play. Don't know, hope this could guide us to a solution. Now I'm playing :smiley:
    edited December 2015
    Shadily wrote: »
    Ok, people, here's a thing... My hdd went bad and I had to replaced it. Then I installed all again with my new hdd: El Capitan, Origin and The Sims 4. Now, I'm testing and I can play again. I dont have so much time playing but it's not like the other time with my old hdd that I could not play even a minute. Not sure whats happening, but I think it's a great info. Maybe it's just some data error why we could not play. Don't know, hope this could guide us to a solution. Now I'm playing :smiley:

Oh that's interesting. So a clean install of El Capitan worked rather than an upgrade from Yosemite? Or did you restore from a backup using Time Machine or similar?

apple-signature.png
  • ilovebunnys65ilovebunnys65 Posts: 1,611 Member
    edited December 2015
    @SimGuruJanitor @simgurugrant @SimGuruDrake @SimGuruGraham @BluebellFlora

EVER SINCE THE PLUM UPDATE, MY TS4 GAME HASN'T BEEN WORKING!

I have an iMac and I keep getting this message when I try to go to lots and play my families, "vmmap needs to take control of another process for debugging to continue. Type in your password to allow this."

I uninstalled the game, re-downloaded it, repaired it, took the cc out, although I did have my cc in when it updated. I did everything I could possibly do. My game has worked well but this update made it horrible!

My Specs:

OS X El Capitan
    iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012)
    Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB
    edited December 2015
    @BluebellFlora

The people who fixed my iMac (by installing a new hdd) began the updates, they give me my imac with Yosemite, and then I updated it to El Capitan. I didn't restore using Time Machine or similar.
    Well, I was playing good until today... Now I have the same problem again... :( but it only happens when I go to my Sims's jobs.
    And now I can play again... what's going on?! X'D
  • onnaday14onnaday14 Posts: 8 New Member
    Will EA ever respond to Mac users about this crashing problem that makes the Sims 4 unplayable for us for any length of time if at all? There hasn't been any further word from them that they are working on the problem and it is beyond frustrating. I think some communication from them would be courteous considering that they have made a good amount of money from us. We deserve some feedback EA, I don't think that is asking too much!

My computer specs are pretty much the same as everyone else who is experiencing the problem:

OS X El Capitan10.11.2
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
    Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    One thing that many of you have not answered. Are you playing with Mods and CC? If so, try removing those as that maybe what is causing your game to crash.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • cbartsch69cbartsch69 Posts: 169 Member
    I'm not using any mods or CC and I'm still having this random crashing and pixelating graphics issue. I've a screenshot of some windows that went funky on me, showing code and pixelation. I could delete them and replace them with a different window, but if I tried to replace them with the exact same window (new from buy mode), that same pixelation showed up. It only fixed itself by restarting the game.

I mention this mainly because it's typically when that graphics issue occurs that the game crashes. This time I happened to pause the game right when the windows went funky, so I was able to play around with it to try to figure out what was going on. If I'd have let the game in play mode with those funky windows it would most likely have crashed the game as usual.

Now if I could only figure out how to share that photo here...
    For all of you affected by this NVIDIA issue, maybe you would be eligible for refunds as EA have acknowledged the issue but nearly 3 months later still haven't fixed it.
    apple-signature.png
    I have one mod installed and some CC as well. I have tried to play the game with and without them installed and the same issue occurs. All was well until I upgraded to El Capitan. As far as asking for a refund, I have considered doing that but I would really like some sort of explanation from EA. Is the graphics card issue fixable or not? If not, then why not tell us and offer a refund?
    onnaday14 wrote: »
    I have one mod installed and some CC as well. I have tried to play the game with and without them installed and the same issue occurs. All was well until I upgraded to El Capitan. As far as asking for a refund, I have considered doing that but I would really like some sort of explanation from EA. Is the graphics card issue fixable or not? If not, then why not tell us and offer a refund?

@SimGuruJanitor responded here stating a fix would be available in December.......

apple-signature.png
    I have read that post, EA threw the ball back at Apple about updating the graphics card and here we stand stuck in the middle with a 'broken' game. I have also read the refund guidelines and big surprise...we are not eligible.
    I have contacted Apple regarding the issue with the graphics card and they have no ETA on when or whether the issue will be resolved. However, I was advised by the Apple tech to enter my problem here: www.apple.com/feedback which is where it will most likely be seen by their developers. I hope all of you Apple users will do the same...perhaps we will get a solution and be able to play our game once again.
  • pop_electricpop_electric Posts: 126 Member
    it's a complete joke! they won't even offer an apology and a 'we are working on the issue' never mind a refund it's so frustrating that they do not care the game doesn't work for a large group of users who have paid the same amount of money as people who play on PC!
    This issue isn't an Apple issue though is it? Are you having general graphics issues on your Mac or just with TS4?
    apple-signature.png
    The only thing I am having a problem with is TS4, so no it really isn't an Apple issue. The post made on Nov 7th by @SimGuruJanitor indicates that the graphics card is more than likely the cause of the issue (note that he didn't say it definitely is) and because updates for drivers are only done by Apple through an OS update, I took a chance and contacted Apple directly. I really don't appreciate the way EA is handling this and they really need to do something and quit treating us as if we don't matter. It is a really shoddy way to treat Mac gamers.
    onnaday14 wrote: »
    The only thing I am having a problem with is TS4, so no it really isn't an Apple issue. The post made on Nov 7th by @SimGuruJanitor indicates that the graphics card is more than likely the cause of the issue (note that he didn't say it definitely is) and because updates for drivers are only done by Apple through an OS update, I took a chance and contacted Apple directly. I really don't appreciate the way EA is handling this and they really need to do something and quit treating us as if we don't matter. It is a really shoddy way to treat Mac gamers.

I agree. And all specs. from people affected point towards the 512Mb NVIDIA cards, although since Get Together has been released a few 1Gb NVIDIA users are also reporting the issue. This is up to EA to fix, not Apple. Yes it would be nice if Apple updated the GPUs more regularly but they never do. I wondered whether it was a Metal issue as late 2012 Macs support it but my late 2012 MBP with NVIDIA 650M 1gb is running the game fine.
    apple-signature.png
  • 33mini4533mini45 Posts: 7 New Member
    Well I have OS Yosemite, I just downloaded the sims 4 yesturday and al my menu bottons dont work, someone help me please!!
    33mini45 wrote: »
    Well I have OS Yosemite, I just downloaded the sims 4 yesturday and al my menu bottons dont work, someone help me please!!

This thread is specifically meant for El Capitan issues so any problems can be narrowed down. You're running Yosemite.

Number 4 on the bug thread details your issue, I'm guessing.

apple-signature.png
  • KllKll Posts: 2 New Member
    I have just updated to El Capitan, and ever since have been having "vmmap errors for debugging" and then the game crashes! Any ideas?
    Kll wrote: »
    I have just updated to El Capitan, and ever since have been having "vmmap errors for debugging" and then the game crashes! Any ideas?

How much RAM does your Mac have and what graphics card does it have?

What else are you running?

How high are your graphics settings?

What EPs/GPs/SPs do you have installed?

apple-signature.png