Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

OK, I totally do not get this game.

Comments

• Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Piperbird wrote: »
    Yeah,
    As I said earlier, I had tried to drop trash on the ground first. Several times. I had trash everywhere, and none of it ever grew. It didn't matter where it was, or how much space it had to grow, or how long I left it. It never grew.

I came to the forums for help and someone suggested making a visiting Sim angry so they would kick the bin. But no matter how angry they got, they never kicked it over.

So I figured I'd have to make my Sim angry and have her do it herself. I bought the angry hat, but it wasn't enough to over-ride the happiness of being outdoors. So I painted an angry painting and left it right inside the door. Even Very Angry lasted seconds once my Sim made it outside to the garbage.

I simply needed a trash plant to grow to complete my gardening collection. It took me several hours and a huge amount of frustration, simply because someone decided that we should not be allowed to kick the bin when we want. Someone decided that a Sim that loves the outdoors is not allowed any emotion but happy if they are outdoors, no matter what the situation is.

I am tired of people telling me that I'm playing it wrong, or I don't understand how to play it, or to get mods, or to use cheats.

I just want a playable game.

OK...the simple answer...drag a pile of trash to the ground with your mouse...dull for sure, but it works :)

Seriously not listening.

I.
    DID.
    ALL.
    THAT.

NONE OF THAT WORKED.

That's why I had to go through all that mess. All the usual ways of growing the trash plant were not working. Dragging trash piles from in side the house. Interrupting bringing it to the bin so it falls on the ground. Moving the trash piles around in the yard looking for clear space. I had piles for weeks that never grew.

Works only too well for me, but hey, I am not the in the remotest bit interested in being involved in an argument on Christmas Eve.

I thought a day or so ago I had something to contribute. Obviously I don't, so have a good one guys. Hope you find your solution

I think perhaps many of us are just looking for different things than you in The Sims. Like I said, I play lots of other games. I don't want The Sims to be goal orientated like them. I just want to load the game up, take my sim into town and have fun without having to think oh I've got to be in this emotion to do that, but the game has randomly put my sim in this emotion, so I need to do this, this and this to get out of that emotion into this one.

The Sims 4 to me is too much about micromanaging emotions. The emotion system does not feel natural and because of this, the states do not seem like emotions to me because they constantly change. I feel like I'm in a constant battle with them. I just to play the game. I want to rule, but it seems like the random and all encompassing emotion system does in fact rule constantly negating my control of my sims. I think the moodlets in 3 were far better and more realistic.

Well, there ya go :)

I am a veteran micromanager.

Been doing it since I was kid playing Napoleonic wargames from rules sets that I ordered through the post with battlefields made from a green blanket, spread over cushions on the floor and different colored wool to mark terrain - and cardboard counters with the stats written on instead of figures - lol. I have been a heavy video game player from pretty much when they were invented.

While I am doing this soul spilling, it is perhaps worth mentioning that this game (4) was my first sims game. I was waaaay to snobby about my games to play something like the sims! Until I played it. Blew my mind. Loved it. I picked up the others in the series as well, because I am one of those that just has to have the background to things.

Of course the first thing I did was set out to bend it to my will, so after some serious mod research I got going.

Yeah, it has piles of issues. Hell I could write a text book on the problems I see with the game, but I keep coming back for more.

The whole notion of corporates controlling the art that we consume is something I have been railing against for decades, not just games, the music world is a victim as well. Most art is constantly held to ransom. That isn't new. The non creatives have been controlling and exploiting the creatives for millennia.

I picked this game up on a whim in last year's Black Friday sale and had the mechanics pretty much nailed shortly after. I really enjoy getting it so my sims get a smooth ride, or not - if I am feeling that way out.

I know this has got jack to do with trash cans, but I'm drinking Glenfiddich :)
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited December 2015
    As I said earlier, I had tried to drop trash on the ground first. Several times. I had trash everywhere, and none of it ever grew. It didn't matter where it was, or how much space it had to grow, or how long I left it. It never grew.

I came to the forums for help and someone suggested making a visiting Sim angry so they would kick the bin. But no matter how angry they got, they never kicked it over.

So I figured I'd have to make my Sim angry and have her do it herself. I bought the angry hat, but it wasn't enough to over-ride the happiness of being outdoors. So I painted an angry painting and left it right inside the door. Even Very Angry lasted seconds once my Sim made it outside to the garbage.

I simply needed a trash plant to grow to complete my gardening collection. It took me several hours and a huge amount of frustration, simply because someone decided that we should not be allowed to kick the bin when we want. Someone decided that a Sim that loves the outdoors is not allowed any emotion but happy if they are outdoors, no matter what the situation is.

I am tired of people telling me that I'm playing it wrong, or I don't understand how to play it, or to get mods, or to use cheats.

I don't know why you're having a problem with the trash plant. That's unfortunate. Maybe they changed it during a patch or something? I had a trashplant before too but it wasn't from kicking a trash can.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    @ModerateOsprey : maybe that's the problem. This is the first Sims game you've ever played. You did say you picked up the others, but I don't know how long you've played them. The thing is, that those of us who have played the other Sims games from the beginning are used to having far more control over our Sims than this game allows us. I believe that's where the frustration comes from.

In the old Sims games, if you wanted your Sim to kick over a trash can, the Sim pretty much did, especially if the Sim was in the red when it came to their aspiration meter. The only way to get rid of that urge to kick the trashcan over was to cancel the action and replace it with something else that would bring the aspiration meter up, such as fulfilling something in their wants panel that would raise that aspiration bar to green or at least yellow. The difference between this game and the other games is that emotions were in the background. They were there, but they weren't so "in-your-face" as they are in this game.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    @ModerateOsprey : maybe that's the problem. This is the first Sims game you've ever played. You did say you picked up the others, but I don't know how long you've played them. The thing is, that those of us who have played the other Sims games from the beginning are used to having far more control over our Sims than this game allows us. I believe that's where the frustration comes from.

In the old Sims games, if you wanted your Sim to kick over a trash can, the Sim pretty much did, especially if the Sim was in the red when it came to their aspiration meter. The only way to get rid of that urge to kick the trashcan over was to cancel the action and replace it with something else that would bring the aspiration meter up, such as fulfilling something in their wants panel that would raise that aspiration bar to green or at least yellow. The difference between this game and the other games is that emotions were in the background. They were there, but they weren't so "in-your-face" as they are in this game.

I've been playing since The Sims 1 (skipped 3 tho) so I get what you mean. But the whole point of The Sims 4 is the emotions as advertised countless times, so I'm not surprised that some or most of the interactions are tied to their emotions. For me at least, I'm not frustrated by it cuz I adapted pretty quickly to the game. I can't even remember if I was frustrated by it the first time either.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options

It isn't a problem. Certainly not mine :)

I played enough. Sims 2 I still play, occasionally. Sims 3 not so much, well never anymore, simply didn't like it. I don't need to have had The Experience to come up with a solid opinion of the earlier games.

Out of them all, I can safely say that the 4th is without doubt my favourite, though I wish it had a lot more of the minutiae provided by the Sims 2 and by that I couldn't care less about having the ability to kick bins, but rather the attention to detail in the animations and, yes emotions.

As I was trying to say in earlier posts, once you have mastered the mechanics of 4, then you can do pretty much what you want and the sims themselves are very convincing, most of the time, when controlled according to the mechanics of the game. Sure why be limited by mechanics? All games are in one way or another. It is what makes them a game.

Comparisons don't really serve any purpose, IMO - the game absorbs me or it doesn't. This game does. If I want a sims 2 vibe, I'll play the sims 2. Sometimes I just want to kill things, so I fire up Fallout. I don't play that always thinking, well in FO:NV they did this, or that. I just play a game on it's own terms. If I don't like a game, it is history. Life is too short.

As for the in your face thing, yeah they are unless you bring them sims under control and controlling sims in 4 means controlling their emotions and not letting them run wild. Playing the sims 4 is like herding cats, tricky, but the game provides all teh stuff you need to do the job and there are many, many different solutions to the game problems it throws at you. Hell, I would kill for the sims AI in my beloved RPGs. Can you imagine the settlements in FO4 with sims as settlers - wow!

It is a hard game, no doubt and that is one of the reasons I like it. Of course, it doesn't have to be. It all depends on the objectives you set yourself.

There was a moment when it all fell together for me, I could fine tune their emotions and and watching those sims was like watching a dance - utterly entrancing.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    TS4 is a hard game? My goodness, I am definitely playing a different game than some of you. I have never played a more simple, watered-down, consequence-free version of the Sims in my entire life, and I'm including the side-games in that. Literally nothing bad aside from death happens in TS4 and when it does, this AI forgets all about it within minutes, if they even notice at all. Sickness is pointless. Enemies are pointless. Strife is pointless. It all ends in happiness.

Oh well. Happy Holidays to all, I'm off to get my Christmas party on!
  • Options
    mortia wrote: »
    TS4 is a hard game? My goodness, I am definitely playing a different game than some of you. I have never played a more simple, watered-down, consequence-free version of the Sims in my entire life, and I'm including the side-games in that. Literally nothing bad aside from death happens in TS4 and when it does, this AI forgets all about it within minutes, if they even notice at all. Sickness is pointless. Enemies are pointless. Strife is pointless. It all ends in happiness.

Yup, you are playing a different game. Mine are packed with tragedy and pathos. Oh and I'm a bit of a Grinch ;)
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    s1mszzangs1mszzang Posts: 797 Member
    edited December 2015
    DeKay wrote: »

I've been playing since The Sims 1 (skipped 3 tho) so I get what you mean. But the whole point of The Sims 4 is the emotions as advertised countless times, so I'm not surprised that some or most of the interactions are tied to their emotions. For me at least, I'm not frustrated by it cuz I adapted pretty quickly to the game. I can't even remember if I was frustrated by it the first time either.

I am always frustrated by ts3. I cannot help with their dull and blank face and awkward animations and creepy laughter sound(*shudderz*) they do once in a while among long nothingness. I cannot feel any sympathy with sims there, well sometimes I am even scared of sims,esp child sims are creepy when they make blank face.
    htwggEX.jpg
    (she is a pre made rich child sim living in bridge port )

I personally think ts4 original is much better with ts3+all packs bundled. I tried so many times like lately when I was bored at ts4 I tried ts3 for months checking on ts3 threads to get help and get more packs I didn't have and not playing ts4 but I failed again. When i failed before there was lil hope cuz I didn't own packs I wanted like seasons and pets but after I failed this time.. well no hope at all. hahah everyone has different preference. so cheers.
  • Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member

Yup, you are playing a different game. Mine are packed with tragedy and pathos. Oh and I'm a bit of a Grinch ;)

Well, I'm not! Happy Holidays to all! ;)
  • Options
    s1mszzang wrote: »

I am always frustrated by ts3. I cannot help with their dull and blank face and awkward animations and creepy laughter sound(*shudderz*) they do once in a while among long nothingness. I cannot feel any sympathy with sims there, well sometimes I am even scared of sims,esp child sims are creepy when they make blank face.
    DkMD3tL.jpg

I personally think ts4 original is much better with ts3+all packs bundled. I tried so many times like lately when I was bored at ts4 I tried ts3 for months checking on ts3 threads to get help and get more packs I didn't have and not playing ts4 but I failed again. When i failed before there was lil hope cuz I didn't own packs I wanted like seasons and pets but after I failed this time.. well no hope at all. hahah everyone has different preference. so cheers.

Yes, she is definitely Beta class - Brave New World reference :)
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options

Well, I'm not! Happy Holidays to all! ;)

Yay!!!

f3PgBha.png
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    CreoleSimCreoleSim Posts: 334 Member

I couldn't agree more! I see everyone is trying to bring your opinion down by not facing the facts. It may be a game glitch or error, but my goodness there's a lot more ERRORS than I've ever seen. This is a controlled salvaged situation/Mess. It breaks my Sim loving heart.

8zjsc9.png
    Origin@ Simday1
  • Options
    CreoleSimCreoleSim Posts: 334 Member
    Yeah,

OK...the simple answer...drag a pile of trash to the ground with your mouse...dull for sure, but it works :)

Seriously not listening.

I.
    DID.
    ALL.
    THAT.

NONE OF THAT WORKED.

That's why I had to go through all that mess. All the usual ways of growing the trash plant were not working. Dragging trash piles from in side the house. Interrupting bringing it to the bin so it falls on the ground. Moving the trash piles around in the yard looking for clear space. I had piles for weeks that never grew.

Works only too well for me, but hey, I am not the in the remotest bit interested in being involved in an argument on Christmas Eve.

I thought a day or so ago I had something to contribute. Obviously I don't, so have a good one guys. Hope you find your solution

I think perhaps many of us are just looking for different things than you in The Sims. Like I said, I play lots of other games. I don't want The Sims to be goal orientated like them. I just want to load the game up, take my sim into town and have fun without having to think oh I've got to be in this emotion to do that, but the game has randomly put my sim in this emotion, so I need to do this, this and this to get out of that emotion into this one.

The Sims 4 to me is too much about micromanaging emotions. The emotion system does not feel natural and because of this, the states do not seem like emotions to me because they constantly change based on the slightest thing. I feel like I'm in a constant battle with them. I just want to play the game my way. I want to rule, but it seems like the random and all encompassing emotion system does in fact rule, constantly negating my control of my sims. I think the moodlets in 3 were far better and more realistic.

Hello! These Sims are cray! We're slaves to the freaking mixed and tangled emotions! I have to deal with that enough in real life! Lol, The Sims 2 was awesome because they'd be feeling some kind of way, it'd show on their face. I think in the next Sims game. It should be just understood, if I keep doing these certain interactions with them, NEW additional interactions should open up, or how about just let every interaction be shown! That would take a lot of animation, but come on. We deserve it! I'm so disappointed in this game, to the point where I don't have a strong desire to play. They just HAVE to learn from this, and deliver next time. This next one will be a make or break. In the mean time, at least make the scraps we have somewhat tolerable to play. Make the next Sims game a TRUE Sims Game! I can see a clean and Polished version of "The Sims Medival" Sims, and stylized look. That would be a perfect style for it!
    8zjsc9.png
    Origin@ Simday1
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    CreoleSim wrote: »

I couldn't agree more! I see everyone is trying to bring your opinion down by not facing the facts. It may be a game glitch or error, but my goodness there's a lot more ERRORS than I've ever seen. This is a controlled salvaged situation/Mess. It breaks my Sim loving heart.

I really don't think anyone is trying to bring anyone else's opinion down so much as help. I mean, if the issues she has are not common for other players, it means there's probably something she can do to fix them. If the issues are common with a lot of other people experiencing them, then she'll probably have to wait for a patch from EA or find a mod that can fix it for her.

My point is, she's trying to play the game and enjoy it so if she comes to the forum listing out issues she's having, people will naturally want to offer suggestions to help her out. Granted, there are people on the forums who simply run around arguing but I really don't think the majority of the simmers here come into the forums looking to pick a fight.

As for the rest, I had tons of issues with TS3 that some people never experienced. I'm sorry that you're seeing a lot of issues as well but we are talking about a game series that's incredibly complex at its heart. Unfortunately, I guess that means that sometimes people will run into issues that aren't common and the best anyone else can do is commiserate and offer whatever suggestions they might have to help that person out.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    ebuchala wrote: »

I really don't think anyone is trying to bring anyone else's opinion down so much as help. I mean, if the issues she has are not common for other players, it means there's probably something she can do to fix them. If the issues are common with a lot of other people experiencing them, then she'll probably have to wait for a patch from EA or find a mod that can fix it for her.

My point is, she's trying to play the game and enjoy it so if she comes to the forum listing out issues she's having, people will naturally want to offer suggestions to help her out. Granted, there are people on the forums who simply run around arguing but I really don't think the majority of the simmers here come into the forums looking to pick a fight.

As for the rest, I had tons of issues with TS3 that some people never experienced. I'm sorry that you're seeing a lot of issues as well but we are talking about a game series that's incredibly complex at its heart. Unfortunately, I guess that means that sometimes people will run into issues that aren't common and the best anyone else can do is commiserate and offer whatever suggestions they might have to help that person out.

The issue she's having has to do with the way the emotion buffs work. And others are trying to tell her how to get around it, or telling her to do things she's already done. The issue she's having with the emotion buffs is part of the core game. The inability to control that Sim's actions because one of their traits overrides the mood she's put them in, in order to complete the action she wants is what's causing the frustration. Don't try to make it sound like it's some sort of bug. I suspect others are having that same issue of trying to perform an action in a certain mood only to have it overridden by a trait.

And, right now, from what I've read, I don't think there is anything to be done, unless the player maybe wants to try a mod.

EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    ebuchala wrote: »

The issue she's having has to do with the way the emotion buffs work. And others are trying to tell her how to get around it, or telling her to do things she's already done. The issue she's having with the emotion buffs is part of the core game. The inability to control that Sim's actions because one of their traits overrides the mood she's put them in, in order to complete the action she wants is what's causing the frustration. Don't try to make it sound like it's some sort of bug. I suspect others are having that same issue of trying to perform an action in a certain mood only to have it overridden by a trait.

And, right now, from what I've read, I don't think there is anything to be done, unless the player maybe wants to try a mod.

Having trash piles that don't spawn trash flowers has nothing to do with the emotion system. Having skill bars remain overhead for indefinite periods of time is not related to the emotion system. Having multi-tasking issues--only peripherally related to the emotion system in a similar way they were in TS3 where sims would drop actions due to emotions, but that wasn't what she was talking about as far as I can tell. So don't try to make it sound like everything is related directly to the emotion system. Does the emotion system need to be tweaked, fine tuned, altered, etc.? Yep, I don't think too many people argue with that. But based on the sheer number of issues she seems to be having with her game, as well as issues that aren't very common (like the trash plants one), it doesn't sound to me like it's solely due to the game design, but more of a local issue.

However, I'm not here to argue with people over their opinions on the game or on suggestions I may give them in an effort to help. If someone doesn't like core aspects of the game (like emotions), there is very little I can suggest to fix it and certainly nothing that doesn't involve a mod of some kind. And if someone doesn't like my suggestions, they can simply ignore them. I am making them in good faith, with the hopes that they might assist someone who seems to desire to play the game but can't seem to get it to work.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2015

htwggEX.jpg

Wait... Did we just jump from being able to kick over trash cans to a random Sims 3 kid? What point are you making please, you lost me.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

htwggEX.jpg

Wait... Did we just jump from being able to kick over trash cans to a random Sims 3 kid? What point are you making please, you lost me.

I didn't just jump out of nowhere. I just replyed to dekay when she replyed to jarsie
    You can read from jarsie then dekay and my reply
    any problem?

[edit] maybe you should read from moderate person first. thats how conversation flowed

1) blueter user

The Sims 4 to me is too much about micromanaging emotions. The emotion system does not feel natural and because of this, the states do not seem like emotions to me because they constantly change based on the slightest thing. I feel like I'm in a constant battle with them. I just want to play the game my way. I want to rule, but it seems like the random and all encompassing emotion system does in fact rule, constantly negating my control of my sims. I think the moodlets in 3 were far better and more realistic.

2)Moderate user

Been doing it since I was kid playing Napoleonic wargames from rules sets that I ordered through the post with battlefields made from a green blanket, spread over cushions on the floor and different colored wool to mark terrain - and cardboard counters with the stats written on instead of figures - lol. I have been a heavy video game player from pretty much when they were invented.

While I am doing this soul spilling, it is perhaps worth mentioning that this game (4) was my first sims game. I was waaaay to snobby about my games to play something like the sims! Until I played it. Blew my mind. Loved it. I picked up the others in the series as well, because I am one of those that just has to have the background to things.

Of course the first thing I did was set out to bend it to my will, so after some serious mod research I got going.

Yeah, it has piles of issues. plum I could write a text book on the problems I see with the game, but I keep coming back for more.

The whole notion of corporates controlling the art that we consume is something I have been railing against for decades, not just games, the music world is a victim as well. Most art is constantly held to ransom. That isn't new. The non creatives have been controlling and exploiting the creatives for millennia.

I picked this game up on a whim in last year's Black Friday sale and had the mechanics pretty much nailed shortly after. I really enjoy getting it so my sims get a smooth ride, or not - if I am feeling that way out.

I know this has got jack to do with trash cans, but I'm drinking Glenfiddich

3) jarsie user
    maybe that's the problem. This is the first Sims game you've ever played. You did say you picked up the others, but I don't know how long you've played them. The thing is, that those of us who have played the other Sims games from the beginning are used to having far more control over our Sims than this game allows us. I believe that's where the frustration comes from.

In the old Sims games, if you wanted your Sim to kick over a trash can, the Sim pretty much did, especially if the Sim was in the red when it came to their aspiration meter. The only way to get rid of that urge to kick the trashcan over was to cancel the action and replace it with something else that would bring the aspiration meter up, such as fulfilling something i n their wants panel that would raise that aspiration bar to green or at least yellow. The difference between this game and the other games is that emotions were in the background. They were there, but they weren't so "in-your-face" as they are in this game.

4) dekay user

5)moderate user

I played enough. Sims 2 I still play, occasionally. Sims 3 not so much, well never anymore, simply didn't like it. I don't need to have had The Experience to come up with a solid opinion of the earlier games.

Out of them all, I can safely say that the 4th is without doubt my favourite, though I wish it had a lot more of the minutiae provided by the Sims 2 and by that I couldn't care less about having the ability to kick bins, but rather the attention to detail in the animations and, yes emotions.

As I was trying to say in earlier posts, once you have mastered the mechanics of 4, then you can do pretty much what you want and the sims themselves are very convincing, most of the time, when controlled according to the mechanics of the game. Sure why be limited by mechanics? All games are in one way or another. It is what makes them a game.

Comparisons don't really serve any purpose, IMO - the game absorbs me or it doesn't. This game does. If I want a sims 2 vibe, I'll play the sims 2. Sometimes I just want to kill things, so I fire up Fallout. I don't play that always thinking, well in FO:NV they did this, or that. I just play a game on it's own terms. If I don't like a game, it is history. Life is too short.

As for the in your face thing, yeah they are unless you bring them sims under control and controlling sims in 4 means controlling their emotions and not letting them run wild. Playing the sims 4 is like herding cats, tricky, but the game provides all teh stuff you need to do the job and there are many, many different solutions to the game problems it throws at you. plum, I would kill for the sims AI in my beloved RPGs. Can you imagine the settlements in FO4 with sims as settlers - wow!

It is a hard game, no doubt and that is one of the reasons I like it. Of course, it doesn't have to be. It all depends on the objectives you set yourself.

There was a moment when it all fell together for me, I could fine tune their emotions and and watching those sims was like watching a dance - utterly entrancing.

6) mortia user

7)moderate user
    Yup, you are playing a different game. Mine are packed with tragedy and pathos. Oh and I'm a bit of a Grinch

8) then my reply

got it?
    Post edited by s1mszzang on
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I really was just trying to point out that the emotions were out of control by showing how difficult it was to get a Sim into a certain mood, and to keep them there. I had to do it due to another glitch I was having with the trash plant not growing, but the point I was really making was the emotions cannot possibly be working as they intended. I was then told I should have just tried all the things I said I already tried.

Guess I am just not smart enough to play this game, right?
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    I really was just trying to point out that the emotions were out of control by showing how difficult it was to get a Sim into a certain mood, and to keep them there. I had to do it due to another glitch I was having with the trash plant not growing, but the point I was really making was the emotions cannot possibly be working as they intended. I was then told I should have just tried all the things I said I already tried.

Guess I am just not smart enough to play this game, right?

Well color me confused then. Unless two threads were merged, your thread starts out listing out some specific bugs/glitches you're having in the game. The trash plant and emotions didn't come in until later. So, if the main issue you're having is that you don't like how the emotions are working, then the only suggestions anyone can really give have already been given (wait for changes from EA, change your play style, use mods). Either way, I'm sorry you're finding the game so frustrating and wish you luck in either figuring it out for you or finding something else you prefer playing.
  • Options
    starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member
    edited December 2015
    A family club gathering can allow for pretty consistent emotional control (except maybe embarrassment). I do agree that some emotions especially the powerful negative ones don't seem to work as consistently as they should because too many positive environmentals override them. I think basically they need bigger bonuses for the most part. I mostly keep my auras off, and try to keep my decor to +1 happiness. This keeps my sims more consistent in their emotional state. I also steer clear of the ones that provide buffs based on environmental considerations (like Loves Outdoors) because those can cause frustration but I love the ones that cause a sim to periodically be some emotion (sad, creative, and hot head being my favored choices).

Like I said I do want some adjustments made, and I do think the team has made progress - especially around death and jealousy detection, which was dismal, but there's still a ways to go. For now I just keep things muted as far as auras and environment goes and I find my sad sims cry a fair number of mornings (unless I intervene and send them to a good breakfast), my creative sims can gain and maintain that mood, and my angry sims can keep a good rage on especially if I indulge their mood and get them into an aggravating conversation (unless they're evil - truly Maxis needs to make it so evil sims can keep a good rage going, because right now they can't).

Anyhow I thought this was a good conversation, despite it getting a little tense, and folks should definitely keep pointing out places the emotions system can or should be tweaked, as it'll never get better otherwise! Good luck, @Piperbird and hopefully some of this will get easier for you!

ETA: Some emotions could also benefit from being longer lasting! They have improved this for some things like death and jealousy, but 4 hours often feels too short for many moodlets.
    OriginID: CrunchedStars
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2015

htwggEX.jpg

I didn't just jump out of nowhere. I just replyed to dekay when she replyed to jarsie
    any problem?

[edit] maybe you should read from moderate person first. thats how conversation flowed

1) blueter user

2)Moderate user

Yeah, it has piles of issues. plum I could write a text book on the problems I see with the game, but I keep coming back for more.

3) jarsie user
    maybe that's the problem. This is the first Sims game you've ever played. You did say you picked up the others, but I don't know how long you've played them. The thing is, that those of us who have played the other Sims games from the beginning are used to having far more control over our Sims than this game allows us. I believe that's where the frustration comes from.

In the old Sims games, if you wanted your Sim to kick over a trash can, the Sim pretty much did, especially if the Sim was in the red when it came to their aspiration meter. The only way to get rid of that urge to kick the trashcan over was to cancel the action and replace it with something else that would bring the aspiration meter up, such as fulfilling something i n their wants panel that would raise that aspiration bar to green or at least yellow. The difference between this game and the other games is that emotions were in the background. They were there, but they weren't so "in-your-face" as they are in this game.

4) dekay user

5)moderate user

As for the in your face thing, yeah they are unless you bring them sims under control and controlling sims in 4 means controlling their emotions and not letting them run wild. Playing the sims 4 is like herding cats, tricky, but the game provides all teh stuff you need to do the job and there are many, many different solutions to the game problems it throws at you. plum, I would kill for the sims AI in my beloved RPGs. Can you imagine the settlements in FO4 with sims as settlers - wow!

6) mortia user

7)moderate user
    Yup, you are playing a different game. Mine are packed with tragedy and pathos. Oh and I'm a bit of a Grinch

8) then my reply

got it?
    Funny, this is what I make of it (quite literally):

Player 1: "The difference between this game and the other games is that emotions were in the background. They were there, but they weren't so "in-your-face" as they are in this game."

Player 2: "The whole point of The Sims 4 is the emotions as advertised countless times, so I'm not surprised that some or most of the interactions are tied to their emotions."

You: "Hey hey hey, listen, hey guys, listen, hear me out, sims in 3 have dull and blank faces and awkward animations and creepy laughter sounds and I cannot feel any sympathy with them, looklooklook, I've got a pic of a child in Sims 3, see?!"

I mean..., ok.

Austin%2BPowers.%2BSay%2Bwhat.gif

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited December 2015

htwggEX.jpg

any problem?

1) blueter user

2)Moderate user

3) jarsie user

4) dekay user

5)moderate user

6) mortia user

7)moderate user

8) then my reply

got it?

Player 1: "The difference between this game and the other games is that emotions were in the background. They were there, but they weren't so "in-your-face" as they are in this game."

Player 2: "The whole point of The Sims 4 is the emotions as advertised countless times, so I'm not surprised that some or most of the interactions are tied to their emotions."

You: "Hey hey hey, listen, hey guys, listen, hear me out, sims in 3 have dull and blank faces and awkward animations and creepy laughter sounds and I cannot feel any sympathy with them, looklooklook, I've got a pic of a child in Sims 3, see?!"

I mean..., ok.

Hm... You want to argue with me? cuz I dont want to.
    I will explain then in depth.
    Users are talking about emotion system and debating which system is better between 3 and 4.
    I just said one example of broken system of ts3.
    Sure ts3 system works as prgrammed cuz it doenst have many options. If they meet they say ' someone thinks you are ok'
    and when they are mad they just do that typical pose of 'stareing at' for a long time
    and another nothingness for more than 10 seconds with that dull face.
    If anyone thinks that is a well made emotion system I would say no.
    Sure sims act sometimes as programmed for a short time but after that long time nothingness with lifeless face remains again.
    I cannot feel any emotion with them. I said it is how I feel not you feel , that's why I said 'everyone has different preference'
    Did i say ts3 emotion system is broken? NO! I said "I" feel no sympathy with them.
    I spent more than 150 dollars on ts3 for for just 3 months but I want to refund all of them.
    It is my feedback toward game , not yours.

• Options
    mylenaureliemylenaurelie Posts: 53 Member
    > @Piperbird said:
    > Reading recent patch notes made me want to try the game again. So I made a new Sim, stuck her in a cheap premade home, and started her writing books. The weirdness started right away.
    >
    > The welcome party of three showed up after a few hours. Two stayed on the porch, where I went out to greet them, but the third walked straight into my house and started playing on the computer, without a single word to my Sim. After a while, she stopped playing on the computer and helped herself to a bunch of fruit cake. Long after my two new friends went home, she was crying about needing to pee and being tired, all while refusing to leave my home. She stayed all night, waving about being unhappy, before FINALLY leaving the next day.
    >
    > The glitch that leaves your full progress bar over your head forever is still happening, only now sleep does not get rid of it, so that was a bummer.
    >
    > For some reason my Sim wont shower even though the shower is clean, accessible, and not broken. Also, using the toilet seems to cancel anything else in the queue. (These are fixed now, yay!)
    >
    > But here's the thing that made me want to post this. Here is Travis. Travis is standing on my porch. I am currently talking to Travis. I am also currently getting a text from Travis stating he would like to come over and hang out.
    >
    >
    >
    > Please, I WANT to love this game, but every time I attempt to play again, there are nothing but glitches and issues. ~_~

Something similar to this happened to me. It was like 1 AM and one of my sim's friends had left five sim minutes earlier. Then my sim received a text from him asking her if she would like to hang out. ???
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited December 2015

htwggEX.jpg

any problem?

1) blueter user

2)Moderate user

3) jarsie user

4) dekay user

5)moderate user

6) mortia user

7)moderate user

8) then my reply

got it?

I mean..., ok.

Hm... You want to argue with me? cuz I dont want to.
    I will explain then in depth.
    Users are talking about emotion system and debating which system is better between 3 and 4.
    I just said one example of broken system of ts3.
    Sure ts3 system works as prgrammed cuz it doenst have many options. If they meet they say ' someone thinks you are ok'
    and when they are mad they just do that typical pose of 'stareing at' for a long time
    and another nothingness for more than 10 seconds with that dull face.
    If anyone thinks that is a well made emotion system I would say no.
    Sure sims act sometimes as programmed for a short time but after that long time nothingness with lifeless face remains again.
    I cannot feel any emotion with them. I said it is how I feel not you feel , that's why I said 'everyone has different preference'
    Did i say ts3 emotion system is broken? NO! I said "I" feel no sympathy with them.
    I spent more than 150 dollars on ts3 for for just 3 months but I want to refund all of them.
    It is my feedback toward game , not yours.

I prefer the blank faces in 3 to the constantly smiling ones in 4. Blank faces are more realistic. When I am walking down the street I have a blank face as do most people. I do not smile all the time. Most people do not smile all the time. I have a blank face as I'm typing this.

The problem I have with the emotion system in 4 is that they do not feel like emotions. I don't find them fun because I have to micromanage them. The Sims 3 had moodlets and I thought they were a good implementation of an emotion system. They affected your sim's feelings which in turn had an effect on their behaviour. It was there but it did not have to be micromanaged and it felt natural.

When people in real life are feeling an emotion it is not always so in your face as it is in 4. In real life we do not micromanage our emotions.

When I play 4, I want to play the game and do what I want but I am constantly having to battle with the emotions system. I take my athletic, genius, loner to the gym, to only use the equipment there to get fit. But he ends up talking to a bunch of sims I did not instruct him to chat with and then all of a sudden the game puts him in a flirty mood and he starts flirting with complete strangers. HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE A LONER! He should not be acting this way. If I wanted a sociable sim that flirts all the time I'd've made a sim with traits that would make them that way. My loners in 3 have better emotions - they find it difficult to talk to strangers and feel uncomfortable.

I don't feel like I have any control in 4. Get to Work makes the emotion system even worse when it is beneficial for your sim to be in a particular emotion at work. You spend all your time trying to put your sims in emotional states via artificial and unnatural feeling game play. In 3, my sims had emotions (moodlets) based on MY gameplay. I never once spent all my time trying to give them moodlets. Their moodlets were a consequence of my direction of them. In 4, my gameplay - my direction - is a consequence of the emotion system. I feel like the emotions are controlling me and directing all of my gameplay decisions. I just want to play the game my way.

Emotions should be a consequence of gameplay, not a director of it.