Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The phone/skill opportunity bug

WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
Many have noticed that with Into the Future, it's impossible to get a skill opportunity as the Sim auto-rejects the phone as seen in this video. At first, I thought I was the only one with this issue as no one else on the forums reported problems with answering the phone but I came across two threads on Carl's Sims 3 Guide regarding the bug, Phone/Opportunity bug and Can't Receive Phone Opportunities (Beware of ads).

Sadly, I haven't found a mod that corrects this issue. I do like The Sims 3 and been playing since 2009 but I'm easily bothered by glitches. It's kind of sad that TS3 won't get any new updates as some (or most) of the bugs aren't fixed such as Isla Paradiso lag, the Meteor bug, Sims using Berate Ignorance, the everyday party invites as well as glitched parties considering that many Simmers especially those who don't like The Sims 4 still play The Sims 3, even I still play this game as well as The Sims Medieval.

The mod to fix the issue is availible from Mod the Sims: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=560635

The everyday party invites at Sims University aren't game breaking but they're annoying and there's no way to disable parties without a mod.

What bug in The Sims 3 annoys you the most?
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
Post edited by WinMacSims3 on

Comments

• sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    Autonomous Berate Ignorance was one that annoyed me the most. It can damage friend relationships severely and I don't understand why you would do that to a friend! At least there is a mod for that one No autonomous berate ignorance...

I wonder if this mod More/Less Opportunities, No Answer Phone, Call Anytime, No auto smartphone tasks would help with the phone opportunities problem?
  • Sophia666Sophia666 Posts: 427 Member
    I've not had this bug and haven't heard of it. However the mods suggested above would be a good fix (we are all aware that EA cannot leave a game fully bug free, that just wouldn't be in the spirit of things) and mods seem to be the only way of fixing things now. But with Isla Paradiso lag, that isn't a bug as such, the town is so big, has so many people in and is Islands that pets are not able to swim between so the lag tends to be caused by routing issues (try installing mods Error Trap, Overwatch and Master Controller for this).
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    Sophia666 wrote: »
    I've not had this bug and haven't heard of it. However the mods suggested above would be a good fix (we are all aware that EA cannot leave a game fully bug free, that just wouldn't be in the spirit of things) and mods seem to be the only way of fixing things now. But with Isla Paradiso lag, that isn't a bug as such, the town is so big, has so many people in and is Islands that pets are not able to swim between so the lag tends to be caused by routing issues (try installing mods Error Trap, Overwatch and Master Controller for this).
    I managed to workaround the lag in that town by docking the Scott household's houseboat and I installed the mod to correct the Berate Ignorance issue. The only way to avoid the everyday parties is not gain relationship with any Sim at University such as Liz Terry. Also I don't think there's a mod to fix the sprinkler problem as it won't water plants that are on the soil rug or planter bowl.
    Autonomous Berate Ignorance was one that annoyed me the most. It can damage friend relationships severely and I don't understand why you would do that to a friend! At least there is a mod for that one No autonomous berate ignorance...

I wonder if this mod More/Less Opportunities, No Answer Phone, Call Anytime, No auto smartphone tasks would help with the phone opportunities problem?

Make me wonder if this would fix it because no comments mention about the glitch. I tried searching the Opportunity glitch and the only thing I could find was this thread, and other 2 from Carl's Sims 3 Guide. I want to spread this video to show people about the glitch. It's a shame that it won't be patched since EA isn't doing updates.

Also I'm having issues with Sims using Fairy tricks.
  • Kaon45Kaon45 Posts: 6 New Member
    I know, this subject is very old, but I has this bug too and solve it on myself so it can help other people if they have the same (it's the first subject on google when you ask "sims no skills opportunities").
    There is this bug with the storyprogression of Nraas. Delete him and you should have no problem.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2015
    Kaon45 wrote: »
    I know, this subject is very old, but I has this bug too and solve it on myself so it can help other people if they have the same (it's the first subject on google when you ask "sims no skills opportunities").
    There is this bug with the storyprogression of Nraas. Delete him and you should have no problem.
    Telling players to delete NRaas StoryProgression because of a bug involving lack of skill opportunities by phone is not going to be considered great advice by those who are enjoying the mod for other reasons. Perhaps a better approach might be to report the bug on our site and help us get it fixed?
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/StoryProgression+Issues (free registration required to post)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I recently noticed the behavior shown in the video in my own game. I have no idea if it's related to skill opportunities. My sims still get the occasional skill opportunity, but not very often. I have no idea whether that's due to SP or not.
    [qu
    igazor wrote: »
    Kaon45 wrote: »
    Telling players to delete NRaas StoryProgression because of a bug involving lack of skill opportunities by phone is not going to be considered great advice by those who are enjoying the mod for other reasons. Perhaps a better approach might be to report the bug on our site and help us get it fixed?
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/StoryProgression+Issues (free registration required to post)

I don't think a mod causes the problem with the phone Opportunities. The problems occurs with Into the Future installed and it happens whatever the game is modded or not. I've learned in Compiled list of bugs in The Sims 3 that there are ITF Opportunities with a high chance to trigger but the dialog won't appear if you're not in the required town/world which is Oasis Landing. This explains why if you uninstall Into the Future, you will usually get the Opportunity dialog in Movie Stuff when answering phones whereas you get less with Into the Future.
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    I recently noticed the behavior shown in the video in my own game. I have no idea if it's related to skill opportunities. My sims still get the occasional skill opportunity, but not very often. I have no idea whether that's due to SP or not.

It's probably the Skill Opportunities that trigger from the phone. Into the Future has Opportunities that have a high chance of triggering a dialog but the dialog doesn't appear if you're not in the required world which I assume is Oasis Landing. Even with Into the Future, it's still possible to get some Skill Opportunities and I did get some skill Opportunities.
  • MoonandStars83MoonandStars83 Posts: 1,735 Member
    It's an EA bug, not an NRAAS one. MTS has a mod that fixes this bug. It works quite well, as my Sim now gets these opportunity calls almost immediately after completing the previous one (or almost immediately upon game loading if it's a new game). It's called Opportunity Phone Call Fix. I highly recommend it.
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
    My Blog // Click me if you dare.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Thank you so much, @MoonandStars83 ! Downloading...
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Well then, I hereby invite everyone to not file an SP bug report at NRaas. Just in this particular case, that is. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    My sims get plenty of skill and other opportunities, and I have been using NRaas Story Progression for at least 2 years. However, I don't have ITF.
    It's an EA bug, not an NRAAS one. MTS has a mod that fixes this bug. It works quite well, as my Sim now gets these opportunity calls almost immediately after completing the previous one (or almost immediately upon game loading if it's a new game). It's called Opportunity Phone Call Fix. I highly recommend it.

It's nice there's a mod to fix the Opportunity issue.
  • trollnexustrollnexus Posts: 508 Member
    Oh my god. It's a miracle! *rushes off to download this mod and then re-install ITF*

(I know I'm re-necroing an old thread, but this is a new solution to me, and I hope those who also have this ITF issue will see it!)
    trollnexus wrote: »
    Oh my god. It's a miracle! *rushes off to download this mod and then re-install ITF*

(I know I'm re-necroing an old thread, but this is a new solution to me, and I hope those who also have this ITF issue will see it!)

I am happy the mod is available. It's nice to have if you want the Opportunities fixed.
  • Llandros2012Llandros2012 Posts: 620 Member
    you know, i have gotten so used to just using Master Controller and picking the opportunities I want when I want them. I have found that to work for me just because my sims have a wide variety of skills and will never get certain opportunities any other way.
  • OhHeyLuckyOhHeyLucky Posts: 1,338 Member
    Awesome thread, thanks for posting! I just started playing ITF and noticed this problem. Tried everything I could think of and searched endlessly, and finally after putting in a more simple search term, I happened upon this thread. Now I can get my sim the opportunity to grow cheese and egg plants. That's all I wanted!
  • Okblondee7Okblondee7 Posts: 2,607 Member
    @MoonandStars83, since the thread has been revived, I'll just say thank you!! My ITF copy will arrive in a few days and now I will have a solution to a future issue. :)
  • SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    I have to say, the bug is fairly annoying, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure it has a rather nasty bug, when I go to oasis landing with it installed, my game crashes when it tries to start the oasis landing opportunities. The simplest solution I have found (other than removing the mod) is to reset emit relevart after my sims arrive.
  • ZodiacCoffeeZodiacCoffee Posts: 9 New Member
    > @MoonandStars83 said:
    > It's an EA bug, not an NRAAS one. MTS has a mod that fixes this bug. It works quite well, as my Sim now gets these opportunity calls almost immediately after completing the previous one (or almost immediately upon game loading if it's a new game). It's called Opportunity Phone Call Fix. I highly recommend it.

I downloaded the mod that MoonandStars83 linked to. Works great and really clears up the problem. Thanks a ton MoonandStars!
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited December 2015
    SimKeats wrote: »
    I have to say, the bug is fairly annoying, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure it has a rather nasty bug, when I go to oasis landing with it installed, my game crashes when it tries to start the oasis landing opportunities. The simplest solution I have found (other than removing the mod) is to reset emit relevart after my sims arrive.

Thanks for mentioning that! I just recently started playing with that mod because I think it was affecting my band's ability to get gigs in Bridgeport. I haven't traveled to the future since I've installed it. So, if I run into any issues I'll definitely try your tip first.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    My son got me ITF for Christmas. I haven't installed it yet. I've already been getting phone calls like the ones in the video, but I didn't realize they were supposed to be opportunity phone calls. My sims still get plenty of opportunities of all kinds. One or more of the links I followed from the thread said the bug came with UL. Does it get worse with ITF?
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    My son got me ITF for Christmas. I haven't installed it yet. I've already been getting phone calls like the ones in the video, but I didn't realize they were supposed to be opportunity phone calls. My sims still get plenty of opportunities of all kinds. One or more of the links I followed from the thread said the bug came with UL. Does it get worse with ITF?

@IreneSwift I've noticed it since I've gotten University Life but didn't know about the problem. Currently in 1.63-1.69, Opportunities will work properly for non-ITF games (i.e., if your latest Sims 3 game is Movie Stuff or earlier) but I only tested it without University Life. Into the Future will make it worse as most Skill Opportunities will not appear due to a flaw.

The issue is that there are ITF Opportunities with a high chance (about 500) whereas other Opportunities has 5 or 10, in addition, the two Advanced Skill Opportunities have the <TargetWorldRequired>FutureWorld</TargetWorldRequired> tag usually used for World Adventures but doesn't work the same in Oasis Landing. When the game prepares an Opportunity, it checks for the appropriate requirements (such as Skills and Career) and selects the Opportunity based on the chance. Since the ITF Opportunity chances are very high, they're always picked but it also bypasses the aforementioned tag so it'll pick the Advanced Technology skill opportunities. When the phone is answered, it checks the requirements but also checks the tag. Since the Sim is not in Oasis Landing, the game rejects the Opportunity.

That means most of the calls without a dialog in Into the Future are the Advanced Skill Opportunities that game is trying to prepare. However, some Skill Opportunities will still appear but not as much. There is a mod that fixes it but you have to enable mods of TS3 as well as needing an account for Mod The Sims.

For University Life (without Into the Future), It makes me wonder if the rejected Opportunities in UL have a <TargetWorldRequired> tag or something. I don't know if the mod fixes the UL issue as well.

I have a Compiled list of bugs showing all TS3 bugs.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    I have everything installed and I haven't noticed a lack of opportunities. I hope I don't develop this bug.
  • dx1965dx1965 Posts: 335 Member
    edited December 2015
    Personally I don't have Into the Future but I really wish when I silenced my sims phones they actually remain so. I don't really like the constant random opportunity calls personally.
    I am not sure if bug or my computer but I got list of things my sims game does I don't like.
    Probably on top of the list is when there is object that I have been using for weeks.
    The second most irritating thing I have experienced is the land going all uneven and fixing the land sometimes leads to other issues like making a stove entirely different section of basement not reachable.
    Of course the land still doesn't remain stable, I have logged in and had hot tubs sink in really strange ways.
    I hate the sunlit tides blue terrain texture interfering whatever it is when I make my sim island lots.
    Midnight Falls was so dark, I couldn't really play the world.
    Origin has messed with my game, and its patch making my computer crash, basically holding game hostage unless I go through them adding more resources it really fricking doesn't need from my computer.
    It refuses to stay offline and will nag and refuse me access to the game unless I let it run in the background online.
    That is top of my list.
    There small glitchy things like if you're sims living in same home and is a dating/romantic interest they won't sleep in same bed together.
    Other strange unknown sims call my main sim for dates, but if my sim tries to invite someone out I get the message that I don't know anyone well enough for a date.
    Sims show up that I don't very well and refuse to leave or complain about locked doors.