Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cache file

My FileCache.cfg cache disappeared from the cache folder. It was there before. I didn't delete it. If I had it would be in the recycle bin but its not. How important and necessary is it to the game?. What should I do to get it again?

Comments

• TheGreenLionTheGreenLion Posts: 1,635 Member
    edited September 2014
    You might try right-clicking the TS4 box in Origin and select Repair Game, hopefully that will work.

Edit: you might want to back up any mods and stuff you have though first!
  • lovejoyriteialovejoyriteia Posts: 198 Member
    edited September 2014
    The same thing just happened to me (but because of my own stupid.ity ;)). Load the game and go into Game Options; enable Online access. Open the Gallery, then close it again. Disable Online access and exit the game. Make sure Origin is closed, too, then open the "cache" folder. Your FileCache.cfg (or FileCache.ini) should be back where it belongs. Delete all other files in that folder.

You may need to repair the game first, as TheGreenLion states above.
  • Cassandra52182Cassandra52182 Posts: 525 Member
    I'm sorry to reopen this but I've just had this happen to me, I've repaired the game, I've done the little trick, I even uninstalled and reinstalled the game and my FileCache.cfg isn't there and it isn't coming back either. I didn't delete it and at this point I don't know what to do to get it back.
    yqCsdo8.gif
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    I'm sorry to reopen this but I've just had this happen to me, I've repaired the game, I've done the little trick, I even uninstalled and reinstalled the game and my FileCache.cfg isn't there and it isn't coming back either. I didn't delete it and at this point I don't know what to do to get it back.

hey @Cassandra52182 sorry this old thread actually isnt applicable after the latest patch. the last patch has apparently altered how files are being stored in the cache file. note cache files in generally just hold temp data files. the data is only stored when the necessary activity has occurred. what im understanding is that one the patch purged that file and is now using the file differently. it relates to activity in gallery.

there isnt anything to worry about. in fact generally you only clear out cache files to keep them up to date as to not conflict with any new permanent changes. its not generally an issue if they are empty, HTH
  • KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member
    The same thing just happened to me! :neutral: so... can I erase all the content in cache folder, now?
    I can't see that file anymore, but that folder is really big and I usually clean all of that mess from time to time.
    Is it safe to do it, still?
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,608 Member
    Yup, mine is missing after today too. The game runs fine without it - so far!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    The same thing just happened to me! :neutral: so... can I erase all the content in cache folder, now?
    I can't see that file anymore, but that folder is really big and I usually clean all of that mess from time to time.

You always *could* delete it all, actually.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member

Even that one file?
    Anyway, I've cleaned all content from the cache folder, and everything still works perfectly fine.
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor

Even that one file?
    Anyway, I've cleaned all content from the cache folder, and everything still works perfectly fine.

Even that file. At launch, it was recommended not to delete it because we didn't know exactly what it did. Since then, it's been clear that it's deletable and will recreate itself.

Only these won't recreate themselves:
    Saves (but you can delete the Scratch subfolder)
    Tray (= Library)
    Custom Music
    Screenshots
    Mods (but you can delete Resource.cfg now and it will recreate itself with nesting enabled)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    Hi guys, I believe you are referring to the file "cache/filecache.ini". We removed the need for this file in a recent patch, so the game no longer generates it, and that is fine.

In general you should not need to worry about the cache directories, the game should manage those on its own.

But if you want, you can safely delete the following directories to clear your caches (not while the game is running!) and the game will regenerate them:
    cache
    cachestr
    cachewebkit
    onlinethumbnailcache

Note that you may not have all of these directories on your hard drive, this is because some of them are only generated when you perform specific actions in game,

-SGMS
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    Hi guys, I believe you are referring to the file "cache/filecache.ini". We removed the need for this file in a recent patch, so the game no longer generates it, and that is fine.

In general you should not need to worry about the cache directories, the game should manage those on its own.

But if you want, you can safely delete the following directories to clear your caches (not while the game is running!) and the game will regenerate them:
    cache
    cachestr
    cachewebkit
    onlinethumbnailcache

Note that you may not have all of these directories on your hard drive, this is because some of them are only generated when you perform specific actions in game,

-SGMS

Thank! An official explanation is always truly appreciated :)
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,608 Member
    Thanks so much for letting us know :)
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • BerrySim79BerrySim79 Posts: 51 Member
    @SimGuruModSquad Thank you Soooo much for that information. I was about to lose my mind because when I went to clear my cache folder, I seen the cachefile there then within a snap of my finger, it disappeared.
  • lovlyblovlyb Posts: 968 Member
    Thank you, glad I look here before I did anything else.
  • BellaCullen208BellaCullen208 Posts: 4 New Member
    > @SimGuruModSquad said:
    > Hi guys, I believe you are referring to the file "cache/filecache.ini". We removed the need for this file in a recent patch, so the game no longer generates it, and that is fine.
    >
    > In general you should not need to worry about the cache directories, the game should manage those on its own.
    >
    > But if you want, you can safely delete the following directories to clear your caches (not while the game is running!) and the game will regenerate them:
    > cache cachestr cachewebkit onlinethumbnailcache
    >
    >
    > Note that you may not have all of these directories on your hard drive, this is because some of them are only generated when you perform specific actions in game,
    >
    > -SGMS

it doesnt work I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO AND I HAVE TO RECORD IN A BIT

What is the particular problem that you have?
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    edited December 2015
    > @SimGuruModSquad said:
    > Hi guys, I believe you are referring to the file "cache/filecache.ini". We removed the need for this file in a recent patch, so the game no longer generates it, and that is fine.
    >
    > In general you should not need to worry about the cache directories, the game should manage those on its own.
    >
    > But if you want, you can safely delete the following directories to clear your caches (not while the game is running!) and the game will regenerate them:
    > cache cachestr cachewebkit onlinethumbnailcache
    >
    >
    > Note that you may not have all of these directories on your hard drive, this is because some of them are only generated when you perform specific actions in game,
    >
    > -SGMS

How can we help you? Did you accidentally delete something else? Note that the filecache file won't exist anymore in our games by now and it doesn't matter anymore.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • FrijFrij Posts: 1 New Member
    I really do not know what to do, my game is not working at all, Iv tried repairing the game in origin and opening it up in many places (when I click on my game it goes onto a black screen for about 17 seconds and then goes off) I've also looked at my cache file and there is nothing in there, it is empty!!! (I only installed the game 2 days ago)
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Frij wrote: »
    I really do not know what to do, my game is not working at all, Iv tried repairing the game in origin and opening it up in many places (when I click on my game it goes onto a black screen for about 17 seconds and then goes off) I've also looked at my cache file and there is nothing in there, it is empty!!! (I only installed the game 2 days ago)

Hello @Frij
    Shut down your computer completely. Start the computer again, then try to launch the game and see if that helps.

Try opening your game in windowed mode and see if that helps.
    http://help.ea.com/en/article/playing-the-sims-4-in-windowed-mode/

Try switching back to 32 bit mode and see if that helps. To do that ,
    Go to My Games in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture.
    Click on “Game Properties”
    Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit"

Check that your graphics drivers are up to date.

If after doing the above things the issue still continues, could you please post your DxDiag info here. It will take multiple posts.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
    Then copy and paste the information from where you saved it, to here in this thread.