Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

From Sim culling to Relationships culling!! What is going on EA?

Comments

• fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Ayumap wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I can't believe we are actually talking about an expansion pack that is geared to groups -- where the members of the group cannot remember each other!
    *boggled mind*

This! It doesn't make any sense at all! If anything, those club relationships should be developing even better on their own and not being completely forgotten when not playing them.

This kind of reminded me... the townie limit of sims they can know is 10 (I was thinking this was going to be an issue, but I didn't think much on it past that) Now I understand why (I think) club members are vanishing off the relationship panel. It's not just because of the sim amount your sim has, but it's also because they can only know 10 people, so that's just "doubling" the culling. Townies are constantly talking to each other.

They couldn't have honestly expected us to add all our club members as "played" households... At least I hope not. I like organization. I personally like being friends with townies, but I'm fine with them living their own lives and doing npc careers. I mean if you want to be friends with the mailman you can only be friends with him as the mailman while he's not played.

Most of my clubs consist of my other played sims and there are few few townies in any of my clubs. It doesn't make sense that my musician club ends up not knowing each other when they are all my played sims. Same with my jocks, dancers, franks darts club, etc. A couple of my country bar line dance clubs have townies and that's it.

So my played sims get to know townies while not playing them and that is why they forget each other???
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    @Stdlr9 Don't feel bad there is an aspect of all this that I find a little amusing too. It's not that people are having problems with their game but it reminds me of a post I read months ago. I don't even remember who said it but someone who was upset that their game play had been effected by the game mechanics. They were pretty much dismissed by the "happy" players so they posted that sooner or later something would be done to effect the satisfied players play style. Turns out to be an accurate prediction.

Not this us and them stuff again, please.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2015
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Some of the problems that may have existed for some players in Sims 3 and some of those players thought that it would be different in Sims 4 should think again because some of the solutions used in Sims 3 or previous versions must be used in Sims 4. It all depends on the dev and how well they tweak their game and if they cannot correct the problem without it leading to another problem they should inform the customer and be honest about it.
    Yeah I keep seeing similar design choices applied for both games which just makes me shake my head is disbelief which require Twallan's mod for TS3 and MC Command Center for TS4.

I hate having to rely on mods too, but beats getting a headache playing the game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    @ModerateOsprey Okay thanks, I was wondering and that does clear it up for me more. Yeah, I don't think that would affect my play style. I'm sorry it's bothering others though. Personally I don't want a glut of faces of sims I barely know.. or don't want my sims to know popping up in that relationship panel because it seems too full as it is too me already.
    I wish we had more tools to like put a check next to a sim we want to remain on our relationships panel.

This would be glorious! I'd like to be able to manually delete sims from my relationship panel. Especially NPCs that have aged and are now ghosts.

@Ceres_Meiriona I think this should be possible with testingcheats true enabled. (I mean I think they should make that a reality, not that it exists already). That said you can do this with mc cmd center.

I couldn't agree more! That would be a great way to implement the feature.
    I wanted to avoid mods, but I think at this point mc cmd is going to become a staple for me. (It has always been tempting for me anyway, since it offers so many wonderful features and options).

If you ever get one mod for this game, honestly that's the one to get (imo) Every update just offers more and more customization and nothing in it is forced upon the player. You want more story progression? It will give it to you. You want less? It'll help. Also it fixes all kinds of issues. Honestly don't know how a rotational or family/generational player can play without it. I'd be terrified for my sims. :no_mouth:

I know you're testing the games limits though, still can't wait to see your results.

I finally hit culling, (though it wasn't where I expected it to be) so I'm done testing. In all truthfulness, I'm kind of weary of testing game limitations... it's time to get back to my real legacy family and enjoy myself. ;)

Which unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it lol) means I'll need mc cmd. Excited to have access to the story progression and woohoo features that come with that mod, not gonna lie! lol I've wanted it for a long while!

It adds another layer of play options of a similar magnitude to GT, IMO.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    edited December 2015
    I can't believe we are actually talking about an expansion pack that is geared to groups -- where the members of the group cannot remember each other!
    *boggled mind*

This! It doesn't make any sense at all! If anything, those club relationships should be developing even better on their own and not being completely forgotten when not playing them.

This kind of reminded me... the townie limit of sims they can know is 10 (I was thinking this was going to be an issue, but I didn't think much on it past that) Now I understand why (I think) club members are vanishing off the relationship panel. It's not just because of the sim amount your sim has, but it's also because they can only know 10 people, so that's just "doubling" the culling. Townies are constantly talking to each other.

They couldn't have honestly expected us to add all our club members as "played" households... At least I hope not. I like organization. I personally like being friends with townies, but I'm fine with them living their own lives and doing npc careers. I mean if you want to be friends with the mailman you can only be friends with him as the mailman while he's not played.

So there is a limit on how many friends you can have now?

Ridiculous

:disappointed:

Right, that's what we're talking about. Someone posted it already, but there are rules to the relationship culling, but from my personal experience they're not always working. Your sim can know 20 people in your relationship panel before sims start getting culled. If you play rotationally and with a lot of sim family members, that culling is going to hit you very often. Townie sims (non-played) can know a max of 10 (apparently) before their relationships are culled. So, if you know that townie sim when it's culling time it should (in theory) cull the... actually, just realized something. They're supposed to be keeping "played" friends (I think, right?)... but they can only have 10 friends.. so what if 10+ of your sims know that townie, now I'm getting confused lol.

Edit: Apparently it doesn't specify how many "played" friends a npc can have, it just says how many non-played friends a npc sim can have. That leaves me scratching my head a bit.
    @ModerateOsprey Okay thanks, I was wondering and that does clear it up for me more. Yeah, I don't think that would affect my play style. I'm sorry it's bothering others though. Personally I don't want a glut of faces of sims I barely know.. or don't want my sims to know popping up in that relationship panel because it seems too full as it is too me already.
    I wish we had more tools to like put a check next to a sim we want to remain on our relationships panel.

This would be glorious! I'd like to be able to manually delete sims from my relationship panel. Especially NPCs that have aged and are now ghosts.

@Ceres_Meiriona I think this should be possible with testingcheats true enabled. (I mean I think they should make that a reality, not that it exists already). That said you can do this with mc cmd center.

I couldn't agree more! That would be a great way to implement the feature.
    I wanted to avoid mods, but I think at this point mc cmd is going to become a staple for me. (It has always been tempting for me anyway, since it offers so many wonderful features and options).

If you ever get one mod for this game, honestly that's the one to get (imo) Every update just offers more and more customization and nothing in it is forced upon the player. You want more story progression? It will give it to you. You want less? It'll help. Also it fixes all kinds of issues. Honestly don't know how a rotational or family/generational player can play without it. I'd be terrified for my sims. :no_mouth:

I know you're testing the games limits though, still can't wait to see your results.

I finally hit culling, (though it wasn't where I expected it to be) so I'm done testing. In all truthfulness, I'm kind of weary of testing game limitations... it's time to get back to my real legacy family and enjoy myself. ;)

Which unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it lol) means I'll need mc cmd. Excited to have access to the story progression and woohoo features that come with that mod, not gonna lie! lol I've wanted it for a long while!

I'm sorry that you'll need it, but the modder who created it is really great at keeping it up to date. Seems like a really nice person in general. I think you'll enjoy its use. :)

And I didn't realize you finished testing. How much greater was the culling limit compared to what it was before (on the family tree) ?
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    Well this sucks. Really makes the game unplayable - or at least for me. No way I'll keep rebuilding relationships if they'll just disappear.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    edited December 2015

Right, that's what we're talking about. Someone posted it already, but there are rules to the relationship culling, but from my personal experience they're not always working. Your sim can know 20 people in your relationship panel before sims start getting culled. If you play rotationally and with a lot of sim family members, that culling is going to hit you very often. Townie sims (non-played) can know a max of 10 (apparently) before their relationships are culled. So, if you know that townie sim when it's culling time it should (in theory) cull the... actually, just realized something. They're supposed to be keeping "played" friends... but they can only have 10 friends.. so what if 10+ of your sims know that townie, now I'm getting confused lol.
    I wish we had more tools to like put a check next to a sim we want to remain on our relationships panel

I am honestly shocked about such a limitation

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    @Stdlr9 Don't feel bad there is an aspect of all this that I find a little amusing too. It's not that people are having problems with their game but it reminds me of a post I read months ago. I don't even remember who said it but someone who was upset that their game play had been effected by the game mechanics. They were pretty much dismissed by the "happy" players so they posted that sooner or later something would be done to effect the satisfied players play style. Turns out to be an accurate prediction.

Not this us and them stuff again, please.

I said it was a little amusing in that some players couldn't foresee that their game play could ever be effected. There was no us or them in it.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    @Ayumap Yes, once my genealogy had recorded 127 sims in it, my town was pretty sparse (in terms of fresh genetic material lol), so I repopulated it with some gallery sims. After that, 3 sims were culled from the genealogy. I expected my founder to disappear first, and that wasn't the case. 3 deceased siblings from a relatively current generation were culled instead. It was an interesting choice that the game made, and I'm not sure why they disappeared first.

@king_of_simcity7 Neia posted the rules for relationship culling. It's actually a really interesting read, though a bit baffling for all of us. lol
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14391214#Comment_14391214
    Neia wrote: »
    Some info regarding this new relationships culling :
    - The max number of relationships that a non-played NPC is allowed to have with other NPCs : 10
    - The max number of relationships that a played NPC is allowed to have with other NPCs : 20
    Exceding those caps will trigger the relationships culling

- When relationships are culled from an NPC relationship tracker due to the number of relationships exceeding the cap, this is how much below the cap the number of relationships will be after the culling : 5
    - The relationship depth below which an NPC relationship will be culled, this is for sims that have never been played : 25
    - The relationship depth below which an NPC relationship will be culled, this is for sims that have been played in the past : 15
    - This is happening between 2am and 5am

There are a couple of conditions that makes Sims completely immune to relationships culling :
    - Brother and Sister, Son and Daughter, Grandchild, Grandparent, Parent, Stepsibling, Cousin, Aunt and Uncle, Niece and Nephew, Husband and Wife
    - BFF, Good friends
    - Divorced, Promised, Engaged, Widow/widower, Married, Significant other, Lovebirds, Lovers, Soulmates, Sweethearts, Total Opposites, Exchanged Numbers
    - Enemy, Enemies with benefit,
    - First Kiss, Renewing vows, Have done woohoo, Have done woohoo recently, Leave at the altar/Left at the altar, Cheated with, Has been unfaithful, Partners in crime, Getting married, Got cold feet
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    This change makes 0 sense for anyone no matter the play style.
  • ThalmorThalmor Posts: 52 Member
    I wish this was an option, that you could choose the culling if you wanted it, because this is just a game wrecker for me.
    @Ayumap Yes, once my genealogy had recorded 127 sims in it, my town was pretty sparse (in terms of fresh genetic material lol), so I repopulated it with some gallery sims. After that, 3 sims were culled from the genealogy. I expected my founder to disappear first, and that wasn't the case. 3 deceased siblings from a relatively current generation were culled instead. It was an interesting choice that the game made, and I'm not sure why they disappeared first.

@king_of_simcity7 Neia posted the rules for relationship culling. It's actually a really interesting read, though a bit baffling for all of us. lol
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14391214#Comment_14391214
    Neia wrote: »
    - The max number of relationships that a non-played NPC is allowed to have with other NPCs : 10
    - The max number of relationships that a played NPC is allowed to have with other NPCs : 20
    Exceding those caps will trigger the relationships culling

- When relationships are culled from an NPC relationship tracker due to the number of relationships exceeding the cap, this is how much below the cap the number of relationships will be after the culling : 5
    - The relationship depth below which an NPC relationship will be culled, this is for sims that have never been played : 25
    - The relationship depth below which an NPC relationship will be culled, this is for sims that have been played in the past : 15
    - This is happening between 2am and 5am

There are a couple of conditions that makes Sims completely immune to relationships culling :
    - Brother and Sister, Son and Daughter, Grandchild, Grandparent, Parent, Stepsibling, Cousin, Aunt and Uncle, Niece and Nephew, Husband and Wife
    - BFF, Good friends
    - Divorced, Promised, Engaged, Widow/widower, Married, Significant other, Lovebirds, Lovers, Soulmates, Sweethearts, Total Opposites, Exchanged Numbers
    - Enemy, Enemies with benefit,
    - First Kiss, Renewing vows, Have done woohoo, Have done woohoo recently, Leave at the altar/Left at the altar, Cheated with, Has been unfaithful, Partners in crime, Getting married, Got cold feet

I am a little confused on the NPC types in the context of the game. Is a played NPC a sim that is a played sim, but is not currently being played (i.e. active)?

Awake.
    The day's divinity....
    edited December 2015
    I kind of knew culling would get worst as more packs are released back when GTW was released. I just didn't know it would hit the relationships too. But that was a fun math project to do. I wonder what feature culling will hit next? I still think culling was a quick last minute solution when the Sims 4 made the always online to offline switch. I just don't think the Sims 4 was designed to be an offline PC/Mac game on a strong enough foundation to handle the usual expansion rate Sims main series games usually get. I mean at least with the laptop version of the Sims 2, the Sims 2 Life Stories, they knew it couldn't handle running too many packs at once. I sometimes wonder, "What were they thinking?"
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited December 2015

Thanks for posting that Neia quote again. Cleared some confusion I had then left me with more confusion. Wondering if anyone knows how many played friends an npc can have, because I just seen (written) how many non-played friends the townies can have...

Anyway, @Ceres_Meiriona thanks for sharing that information. Really was just curious, but it of course just reinforces for me I'll never play without a no culling mod. I'm guessing it helped you get that high because the game was generating less townies? That's still a lot of family members for one family tree, but when you have multiple families and an older save, that feels like nothing (at least imo).

Sounds okay for the short term, single sim family player though. And now I'm wondering too why it chose to cull sims from such a new generation, maybe they didn't want to mess with founding sims first because of previous backlash.

----
    Edit: @ModerateOsprey In this context I think "npc" (non-playable [played in this case] characters) are just townie sims. At least I hope that's the case lol.

2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I wonder what feature culling will hit next?

Babies probably, they're already treated as objects, why not take it a step further
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    I really, really don't want to have to rely on mods. I'm not against mods, but I don't want to NEED them.

This is how I feel too. In the beginning I had so many issues with this game and people would tell me "just use mods"... I hated that. I never wanted to use script mods because the game is unfinished and these mods can go unsupported and cause issues (loss of game play elements) when you have to remove them, temporarily or permanently.. I don't like that.

Sadly I think that's just the way things are going to continue to be. There are going to be things we want or dislike and we'll have to rely on our mods. I'm really grateful for the modding community because I could not play (personally) without the mods I have.

I had to use Twallen's mods all the time in TS3 in order for the game to play so I think that the modding community is an asset to all the sims games, and to share their expertise for free is mind-blowing great in my opinion!

I agree with what you just said 100%. I just do not like having to use mods because the game is not yet finished (still getting updates) so it is very easy for mods the stop working (thus not allowing me to play as I like, which means I won't want to play) and if the modder one day decides they no longer wish to keep up with their modding... well I'm just SOL.

I agree that we should not have to use mods, but for me it has been the way I have been playing since sims 3 and I think it has just become routine for me. But your points are well taken.
  • Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    Excuse me a moment while I grasp at some straws...

but what if this change is necessary perhaps in preparation of some sort of attraction / dating relationship system. I'm thinking about an upcoming love pack for February. Or maybe they are reworking genealogy /relationships for an upcoming generation pack?

I just can't make sense of this change without a good reason behind it.
    Logisitcs wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    I wonder what feature culling will hit next?

Babies probably, they're already treated as objects, why not take it a step further
    Yeah probably. I wouldn't be surprised by that. I guess that could mean all inventory objects could be culled too.
    edited December 2015
    *boggled mind*

Most of my clubs consist of my other played sims and there are few few townies in any of my clubs. It doesn't make sense that my musician club ends up not knowing each other when they are all my played sims. Same with my jocks, dancers, franks darts club, etc. A couple of my country bar line dance clubs have townies and that's it.

So my played sims get to know townies while not playing them and that is why they forget each other???

@fullspiral
    Sorry, didn't see this post before. Yes, when rotating sims will typically make new relationships. If you don't rotate away long you may not have noticed, or a particular household may not spawn around town as often.

When the game first came out and I'd rotate away I'd always be interested in who my sims were starting a romance with or making friends with. It was like they were deciding their life (and they were). As I played more I began actually caring about the sims in my rotation (I mean I cared about where their story was going in a stricter sense) and no longer enjoyed the random relationships they were accumulating.

Now that there is relationship panel culling as well, you can see how a sim might easily be racking up 20 sim relationships while you're not playing them. (You have your sims family,the sim friends you intentionally made, exes, enemies, and relationships the sim makes on its own.)

Then you have (well always had) relationship decay to consider. If you're consistently not talking to sims the relationship will decay and once it gets to 0 (I suppose) the sims will be culled off the panel. So there was always relationship culling, but it never affected the sims you were consistently speaking to because you were going out of your way to keep them in your sim's life (though one may have not realized this).

For me this never worked well because I rotate too many households and some times play some longer than others (which is why I favor relationship decay 0 and aging off).
    2m60a6q.jpg
    edited December 2015

Thanks for posting that Neia quote again. Cleared some confusion I had then left me with more confusion. Wondering if anyone knows how many played friends an npc can have, because I just seen (written) how many non-played friends the townies can have...

Anyway, @Ceres_Meiriona thanks for sharing that information. Really was just curious, but it of course just reinforces for me I'll never play without a no culling mod. I'm guessing it helped you get that high because the game was generating less townies? That's still a lot of family members for one family tree, but when you have multiple families and an older save, that feels like nothing (at least imo).

Sounds okay for the short term, single sim family player though. And now I'm wondering too why it chose to cull sims from such a new generation, maybe they didn't want to mess with founding sims first because of previous backlash.

----
    Edit: @ModerateOsprey In this context I think "npc" (non-playable [played in this case] characters) are just townie sims. At least I hope that's the case lol.

Right the way I read it is:

A non-played NPC is a sim that has has never been played, regardless of whether they are living on a lot or are a townie. They will only remember 10 sims that have the highest friendship bar in the early morning cull.

A played NPC is a played sim that is currently not being played and will be part of a household.

The active currently played sim follows the old rules

Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    *boggled mind*

@fullspiral
    Sorry, didn't see this post before. Yes, when rotating sims will typically make new relationships. If you don't rotate away long you may not have noticed, or a particular household may not spawn around town as often.

When the game first came out and I'd rotate away I'd always be interested in who my sims were starting a romance with or making friends with. It was like they were deciding their life (and they were). As I played more I began actually caring about the sims in my rotation (I mean I cared about where their story was going in a stricter sense) and no longer enjoyed the random relationships they were accumulating.

Now that their is relationship panel culling as well, you can see how a sim might easily be racking up sims past 20 when you're not playing them.

Then you have (well always had) relationship decay to consider. If you're consistently not talking to sims the relationship will decay and once it gets to 0 (I suppose) the sims will be culled off the panel. So there was always relationship culling, but it never affected the sims you were consistently speaking to because you were going out of your way to keep them in your sim's life (though one may have not realized this).

For me this never worked well because I rotate too many households and some times play some longer than others (which is why I favor relationship decay 0).

I play the same. I rotate through a lot of households ( over 30) and I don't play them all on a set schedule and there are times I will play one household for a good long while.

It seems very silly to have to keep introducing my club members over and over again and the minute I rotate to a different house that relationship gets lost because it is only an acquaintance. Like I said, club members should take president over townie developments and my club members should be maintaining those relationship over new townie relationships. The game should not be deciding that a townie a sim met ( lol) when not playing them is more important or has a better relationship than the ones the player is trying to establish.
    edited December 2015

but what if this change is necessary perhaps in preparation of some sort of attraction / dating relationship system. I'm thinking about an upcoming love pack for February. Or maybe they are reworking genealogy /relationships for an upcoming generation pack?

Wouldn't a romance pack encourage relationships not stunt it? I really hope there is a logical reason for this other than for performance issues.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The worrying thing is, the only time everyone agrees on something, it is usually negative

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    The worrying thing is, the only time everyone agrees on something, it is usually negative

That is true. :( It is usually either about bugs or wonky features, at least the more civil ones.

----

Right the way I read it is:

A non-played NPC is a sim that has has never been played, regardless of whether they are living on a lot or are a townie. They will only remember 10 sims that have the highest friendship bar in the early morning cull.

A played NPC is a played sim that is currently not being played and will be part of a household.

The active currently played sim follows the old rules

@ModerateOsprey
    I think we're thinking similar things, but slightly different. I find it easier with pictures, though I'm not sure if I'm correct, or if you're correct, or if something else is correct.
    2uhpff6.jpg
    2ntcspy.jpg

This is what I always assumed was the case, but I'm not positive any more.

---

@Ponder the Sim I think this is an interesting theory, but it still doesn't make sense to me. Why release it now? This can't be finished because it is (imo) not practical and not well tested. Even if this was for an attraction/dating system, why would they assume that the player wants friendships culled away? (not to mention the players who may not want such a pack) Heck, some people go out of their way to use cheats/mods so that they know all the sims in the town.

Really it should be the players prerogative. I understand having these "features" in place for people who can not handle all the game has to offer, but these "features" should be able to be disabled.
    2m60a6q.jpg