Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Interesting - the game out just 3 days and already on sale at Target. Amazing or what?

Comments

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited December 2015
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    TMBrandon wrote: »
    So, in other words, it reflects nothing.

If you want to believe so, not here to change your way of thinking. :)

I mean the sale reflects nothing, as does the 'best seller' portion of the image. It's just a sale at a store and nothing more.

I would assume that the chain doesn't actually get to invent bestseller lists out of pixie dust. Truth in advertising laws etc.

Maybe it's different here in Canada. But we can state the bestsellers of our stores. The Best Seller list doesn't have to be Universal. There are loopholes gallore.

@Ponder the Sim The best seller in my store is related to paper crafting. I am not trying to disprove anything. I'm just saying Stores do as they will to generate sales.

Why would a large chain go to extra effort to twist things to sell a game title? They have a system for selling things that aren't selling well. They also have no need to pander to people who like the title and want to believe it sells well. What's it to Target? Nothing. They lose nothing by selling actual bestsellers as such and actual nonsellers on clearance - and using the real data takes less work. Large chain economics aren't the same as single indie store economics.

There's just so much grasping at straws in these discussions, trying to find evidence that the game isn't doing well. What's the point? Just for people who don't like it to feel they're more right about not liking it? in bigger and therefore better company? I don't get why people don't just accept that different folks have different tastes and sometimes something we don't like is going to be somewhat popular without our help and without cheating its way there.

I'm not saying the game is or isn't doing well. I just know how retail works. To say they don't do anything to push sales is naive. They have every need to pander to the population. Without it, they'd go out of business. In their minds, they lose everything by sales that are not met. Business feeds off of sales. They look at numbers. You. Me. their employees. We are all nothing but numbers. Numbers that don't add up are lost sales.

As for proof: I believe I already stated that the sale proved nothing (refer to original topic). Not sure why you're arguing with me on an arbitrary point.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I didn't say they don't do anything to push sales. Of course they do! I'm saying that when you scale data to a large chain level, making up bestseller lists etc. isn't an efficient way to do that.

That something is on sale at Target, given what we've been told by someone with actual inside knowledge about Target's use of clearance, suggests (not proves) that it's selling well (bringing people into stores) or neutrally at Target. That it's on a bestseller list at Target suggests that it's a bestseller at Target, as opposed to selling like plum. Call me crazy, but I don't think that's meaningless.

I do, on the other hand, think that this discussion is pointless and I should have just gone to bed instead of getting into it.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited December 2015
    I didn't say they don't do anything to push sales. Of course they do! I'm saying that when you scale data to a large chain level, making up bestseller lists etc. isn't an efficient way to do that.

That something is on sale at Target, given what we've been told by someone with actual inside knowledge about Target's use of clearance, suggests (not proves) that it's selling well (bringing people into stores) or neutrally at Target. That it's on a bestseller list at Target suggests that it's a bestseller at Target, as opposed to selling like plum. Call me crazy, but I don't think that's meaningless.

I do, on the other hand, think that this discussion is pointless and I should have just gone to bed instead of getting into it.

No hard feelings. I'm just saying Target isn't really something we should be looking at as proof of anything. It's a bit personal on my end, but at the end of the day, the sale means nothing. If you're tired, I hope you sleep well. As a creepy character said in the first season of Farscape: Rest... and... revitalize... for tomorrow... is a... rest... day...

:)

Again: No hard feelings.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    TMBrandonTMBrandon Posts: 229 Member
    edited December 2015

Thank you.

Bestseller, means just that, it's a best seller across the entire chain (that's all 2000+ stores). Sales are made according to different sets of data, the actual sales (how many units are selling) are one of the many different factors that go into the creation of a sale. And the other titles listed are best sellers themselves outside of Target, namely GTA V. I'm not at the authority to go into further detail as that would be leaking confidential information. I'm not at knowledge of how "retail" may work in Canada, but I can tell you without doubt and complete certainty that Target (or any other big-box retailer) has no reason to falsify metrics to sell a videogame.

And yes, I agree this discussion is pointless, and this will be my last response. I just saw a clear lack of information and insight on the subject that I felt the need to clean up. Now that I'm home, I shall return to playing GT. :)
  • Options
    poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    Yeah someone already mentioned this but Get To Work was $10 cheaper before launch at Best Buy. I could have gotten MGSV for 40-ish bucks instead of the 60 it launched at (but I didn't care cause hello, MGSV) AT LAUNCH. It's pretty common to see games (if you do your bargain hunting properly) at less than MSRP day one. Especially if they are digital. The only one losing here is Target cause they're selling it at a discount when they just recently received their shipment.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited December 2015

I mean the sale reflects nothing, as does the 'best seller' portion of the image. It's just a sale at a store and nothing more.

I would assume that the chain doesn't actually get to invent bestseller lists out of pixie dust. Truth in advertising laws etc.

Maybe it's different here in Canada. But we can state the bestsellers of our stores. The Best Seller list doesn't have to be Universal. There are loopholes gallore.

@Ponder the Sim The best seller in my store is related to paper crafting. I am not trying to disprove anything. I'm just saying Stores do as they will to generate sales.

Not really. There are other games on sale at Target that are just on a normal sale.

There is more sense behind the idea that The Sims 4 is a best seller at Target, which is why its with those 7 or so other games. If it wasn't a best seller, they would just put in with the rest of the games.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited December 2015

You can state the best seller inside the stores, but to publish something and advertise it as a best seller is a big deal? Why? Advertising laws. If a game that wasn't a best seller was advertised as one, it means other companies who sell products at Target can actually sue Target for falsely advertising a game at a higher status against other games who didn't get the title of "best seller". It can negatively impact other games who have sold the same, but aren't given the same treatment.
    Same reason why its illegal for stores to use fake reviews to sell products.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I use to work at target, they really don't put stuff on sale the moment it from it comes out but it's almost Christmas time so that could be the reason why. Online it's still 39.99 so the sale going on in stores I guess..really don't know.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    edited December 2015
    I was so pleased to see it on sale at target. I actually assumed Xmas Rush but couldn't really care why. Us australians rarely get good deals, sometimes jb hi offers a good deal but it's been a while if it's been straight after release. Eb games is always expensive in Aus and there is no such thing as Amazon in Aus for games.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2015
    I love how the OP vanished from the thread as soon as convincing proof was shown. I think it's funny how some people are on a personal journey for the death of TS4 and thrive with every negative thing like this (it's more like grasping at straws at this point).

Oh really? Some of us do not sit here on this forum night and day, we go play our other sims games or go about taking care of real life stuff. I simply stop in here a couple times a day - in the morning and again in the evening for a short while. I saw it was marked down 10 bucks and posted it here. I also notice Sims VIP posted that on her forum as well. MUst be she wants it to die then too? Really?.

I have no clue what you mean by by convincing proof - of what are you indicating? IT IS on sale at target - still apparently. What is your point? As to saying the rest of what you said - it makes no sense to me at all. Maybe that is YOUR personal vendetta - but i want the game fixed, so explain again why i would want it to die if I want it fixed?

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited December 2015
    No one here knows how well Sims 4 is doing and will not know until the end of Sims 4 production cycle and maybe still not know. All we can do is speculate on how well it is doing. I brought GT and do like the layout(not love) but I still prefer non static neighborhoods with editors where I can create my own lots and neighborhood. Sims 4 is like the flu, it has to run it's course to the end. However if one wants the game to die that is their opinion and right to expect that and I respect their opinion because in the end it is just a game and I seen a lot of franchises fall even when it had good strong offerings.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited December 2015
    And people wonder why I never make my own topics on this forum.

(No, I'm sure you guys don't really care, but still...it sounded good, so I went with it).

It didn't take long for some one to come along and attack the OP for posting this thread. One would suspect that the people who are getting personal with the OP are the ones who just love this game and think it's the Best Game Evah!

Frankly, calling someone out like a certain poster (who observed that the OP had apparently vanished as a prelude to then attacking the OP's point of view), is totally unnecessary. Why not just stick to the topic at hand, which, if I remember correctly, is discussing whether Get Together being on sale 3 days after release at Target is an indicator that the series isn't doing that great?

There's no need to attack anyone over this.

Oh, and to @simgirl1010: Just what exactly do you expect people to do? And if you're *that* concerned, why aren't *you* doing it? I've seen you in several topics trying to get someone to take real action, but you never manage to say what kind of real action you want to see happen. It could be that you don't know yourself.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited December 2015
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    http://simsvip.com/2015/12/09/the-sims-4-get-together-target-discounts-the-expansion-by-10-00/

I find this - I don't know - peculiar. I have never seen a Sims game go on sale so fast in my life. Spookystuff at least was out a week before it went half price.

You see, this is what I was talking about in the boycott thread. No one wants to step forward and actually DO SOMETHING. Not one comment on my post but plenty of comments on the negative posts. And now another thread about game sales. What good does this do?

I think a lot of the boycotters have changed their mind now after all the rave reviews.

I haven't bought the expansion, but I know I have definitely changed my mind towards it now it's out and I can see what is really on offer and I do plan on picking it up at some point when I'm more confident in the overall direction the game is going in.

EA should really hire new people to manage their advertising and PR, this pack has turned out to be far, far better than any of their trailers and promotional stuff suggested it was going to be IMO.
    Jarsie9 wrote: »

(No, I'm sure you guys don't really care, but still...it sounded good, so I went with it).

It didn't take long for some one to come along and attack the OP for posting this thread. One would suspect that the people who are getting personal with the OP are the ones who just love this game and think it's the Best Game Evah!

Frankly, calling someone out like a certain poster (who observed that the OP had apparently vanished as a prelude to then attacking the OP's point of view), is totally unnecessary. Why not just stick to the topic at hand, which, if I remember correctly, is discussing whether Get Together being on sale 3 days after release at Target is an indicator that the series isn't doing that great?

Oh, and to @simgirl1010: Just what exactly do you expect people to do? And if you're *that* concerned, why aren't *you* doing it? I've seen you in several topics trying to get someone to take real action, but you never manage to say what kind of real action you want to see happen. It could be that you don't know yourself.

To me this thread and the subsequent posts comes across as being an attack on people who enjoy the game so I can understand why people have gotten their backs up about it - people who dislike the game quite rightly do not tolerate anything being said about them so why should fans of the game just keep their mouths shut when they're having something thrown in their faces like this?

There isn't even anything to debate here; the OP (and, in fairness other people on here too) just seem to be using the Target sale as an excuse to laugh about how badly the game is supposedly doing. How is that a helpful or even a constructive discussion? There's just no common sense behind it. Stores have sales all the time and Target especially seem to usually have deals on Sims products. The fact it's got money knocked off right after launch, in Target, two weeks before Christmas is not a reflection of how well or how poorly the game is doing at all.

In the end it's a game; if someone doesn't enjoy it then that's fair enough but why would anyone want to rub it in somebody else's face that something they enjoy is "failing"? It's a horrible thing to do and I find it only fair that they are called out on for it.

Again, people who are unhappy with the game wouldn't tolerate stuff like this so why should fans have to?
    Post edited by Darkslayer on
  • Options
    azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    Gee, by the logic here, Sims 4 is doing so well that the EP needs to go on sale right away. And I guess that Fallout 4, which I am still waiting to be discounted, must be doing incredibly badly that it still hasn't gone on sale after all this time. GTA V must be the worst seller of all time because I had to pay full price after waiting for months for it to go on sale. No it must be the new economy that I have to get used to, where poorly selling games like Fallout 4 and GTA V take months to go on sale but hot "best sellers" like The Sims 4: Get Together have their prices cut right away.
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    Gee, by the logic here, Sims 4 is doing so well that the EP needs to go on sale right away. And I guess that Fallout 4, which I am still waiting to be discounted, must be doing incredibly badly that it still hasn't gone on sale after all this time. GTA V must be the worst seller of all time because I had to pay full price after waiting for months for it to go on sale. No it must be the new economy that I have to get used to, where poorly selling games like Fallout 4 and GTA V take months to go on sale but hot "best sellers" like The Sims 4: Get Together have their prices cut right away.

I think it has more to do with EA having some kind of working relationship with Target. This isn't the first time I've seen it mentioned that brand new expansion packs are retailing for less at Target than in other places, I personally wouldn't say it has anything to do with the popularity (or unpopularity) of the game but more the fact that Target just seems to do this kind of thing for Sims games. That's the impression I get anyway.
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member

You really should have actually read the entire thread than one entire post. First; A target employee said that the sale was a mistake. And second; if you knew anything about target and the sims you'd know that target LOVES to put sims game on sale not long after release.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Darkslayer wrote: »

I think it has more to do with EA having some kind of working relationship with Target. This isn't the first time I've seen it mentioned that brand new expansion packs are retailing for less at Target than in other places, I personally wouldn't say it has anything to do with the popularity (or unpopularity) of the game but more the fact that Target just seems to do this kind of thing for Sims games. That's the impression I get anyway.

Precisely. Target loves to put Sims expansions on sale immediately after release.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    http://simsvip.com/2015/12/09/the-sims-4-get-together-target-discounts-the-expansion-by-10-00/

I find this - I don't know - peculiar. I have never seen a Sims game go on sale so fast in my life. Spookystuff at least was out a week before it went half price.

You see, this is what I was talking about in the boycott thread. No one wants to step forward and actually DO SOMETHING. Not one comment on my post but plenty of comments on the negative posts. And now another thread about game sales. What good does this do?

I think a lot of the boycotters have changed their mind now after all the rave reviews.

I haven't bought the expansion, but I know I have definitely changed my mind towards it now it's out and I can see what is really on offer and I do plan on picking it up at some point when I'm more confident in the overall direction the game is going in.

EA should really hire new people to manage their advertising and PR, this pack has turned out to be far, far better than any of their trailers and promotional stuff suggested it was going to be IMO.

To me this thread and the subsequent posts comes across as being an attack on people who enjoy the game so I can understand why people have gotten their backs up about it - people who dislike the game quite rightly do not tolerate anything being said about them so why should fans of the game just keep their mouths shut when they're having something thrown in their faces like this?

There isn't even anything to debate here; the OP (and, in fairness other people on here too) just seem to be using the Target sale as an excuse to laugh about how badly the game is supposedly doing. How is that a helpful or even a constructive discussion? There's just no common sense behind it. Stores have sales all the time and Target especially seem to usually have deals on Sims products. The fact it's got money knocked off right after launch, in Target, two weeks before Christmas is not a reflection of how well or how poorly the game is doing at all.

In the end it's a game; if someone doesn't enjoy it then that's fair enough but why would anyone want to rub it in somebody else's face that something they enjoy is "failing"? It's a horrible thing to do and I find it only fair that they are called out on for it.

Again, people who are unhappy with the game wouldn't tolerate stuff like this so why should fans have to?

The op is famous for doing this, I honestly don't know how they get away with it anymore.
  • Options
    MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    Well it can be taken both ways, depends on how you think the game is doing. I'm thinking Target it selling wanted items cheaper since Christmas is coming soon and the Sims series sell well during those times. A lot of shops nearby my place have set popular games on sale some of them 50% off. I don't think they're putting it up for cheaper because it's doing badly, although that's my personal opinion.

Besides, it's a great deal for others not having a lot of money! :blush:

Your post makes a lot of sense to me. And, you're right-not everyone can afford to buy the content as soon as it comes out and a sale can certainly be of help.
  • Options
    LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    If it was on origin for sale then yeah, we could hazard a guess that the EP didn't do as well as expected. But since its just target then i'm guessing thats just a choise that target made. I checked all the UK sites and so far none of them has put it on sale. They have just got it at the slightly discounted price where they are trying to compete with other realtors.
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member

It's called Christmas.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    I bought the physical copy was same price as before 36bucks. And they had a coupon for all their games that i had with 2 bucks and it was 34 the price. Physical and buying out of origin is kinda cheaper always so the physical or retailers have an advantage over Origin easy access (you don't wait in line, don't wait to get the thing, the store to open, etc). I think is fair. :)
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member

Well it is not on sale on EA's site and it is not one sale at Amazon or Walmarts, or Gamestop so I would assume that Targets is just having a Christmas special or sale. Not uncommon this time of the year. Don't bother me non. Good for those who can get it cheaper.

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member

You're exactly right. I don't know. That's why I initially agreed to boycott Get Together. I thought it was the beginning of some type of call for action that I was willing to support. I see now that I was wrong. As for doing it myself I've already explained that I like the game but would definitely support those wanting different things. Which is also why I said I would donate the $80 I spent on two copies of Get Together if anyone wanted to officially get something started. Maybe take out an add in one of the major California newspapers with signatures of those advocating for change. Maybe start a website. Write an article for one of the gaming magazines. It's not that much of an issue for me that I would want to organize it . But again I would support it in any way I could.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Gabe_oz wrote: »

The op is famous for doing this, I honestly don't know how they get away with it anymore.

Gee I am famous for doing this? Really? Good to know, as i did not know that. More examples please. I mean if i am famous for this kind of thing - then surely there are tons of this kind of thing out there from me.

Truthfully - seeing one of us must be truthful - all I have ever wished for Sims 4 was for my play style - added back to the game. How does that say spiteful or even wishing for it to fail. No I want more of the game - not failure. Talk about twisted logic. Almost as astonishing as seeing a so called best seller going immediately on sale right at release - even if it is Christmas - I have after all been buying Sims games for 16 Christmases and this is rather a first for an ep. I mean the same week it get released. We are not talking 4-6 weeks after release - like someone mentioned about Sims 3 WA - that came out well over a month before it went on a slight sale for Christmas. We are talking release day week. Big difference.

But really - if my beef with Sims 4 is over not having my game play style in the game and constantly fighting to get that game play added to the game - where on earth is the logic that my vendetta is to see the game vanish? It is not as if I HAVE NOT INVESTED BOTH MONEY AND TIME INTO TRYING TO PLAY sIMS 4 - the proof is in the game and packs I have installed and the number of hours I have tried to enjoy it. If I wanted failure then I would be a blooming 🐸🐸🐸🐸. for wasting time or money into the game to start with. Unbelievable!

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....