Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game Pack: Restaurants

I've posted about this before on the forum, but I think one of the game packs should be restaurants, preferably in the near future.
Origin ID: Derpiez

Comments

• FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Restaurants are the second most requested feature (after toddlers) so if they aren't adding restaurants we know that they're not hearing us
    a256aFi.gif
  • LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    They have to ... there's no way that they don't have anything in the works for restaurants.

The most recent update gave us the ability to have caterers on all those objects like fridges, ovens, bars, etc. GT also has the foodie trait and little cafes. They want to give players the ability to eat out, but I don't think they have a dedicated system yet.
  • Pristine42784Pristine42784 Posts: 48 Member
    Because of that new ability, I was able to build a banquet hall. With several dinning rooms, a couple of bars and a dance floor. I think its cute. I shared it to the gallery.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I need the podium and hostess back and a proper functioning restaurant. But I also want fast food restaurants. If it's a GP then that should be it's sole focus. Nothing but making sure that restaurants are fully functional, and we are able to fully run it as a business, and also make full use of it as a customer.
    @fullspiral I agree as well ... it has to be executed properly. People need to be able to run their own restaurants for it to work in my opinion.
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I'd like proper restaurants back too. I'd also like to be able to own and run a restaurant: setting the menu; taking orders; working in the kitchen; and profiting from sales. TS2 had pretty good restaurants. I also liked how in TS1 you had the cheap, and the expensive podiums (one for a diner, one for a bistro) and they would spawn NPC workers. I liked the guy who serenaded people at the tables, and tipping him well made him play a special romantic song. I liked the table interactions like 'play footsie' and 'steal food from plate' and there should be a special 'propose over dinner' interaction. I liked that you could try and skip out without paying, and I think you had to wash the dishes if you got caught?

Oh, even if you don't actively own and run the restaurant with your sims, if you only want to visit it, you should still be able to make themed restaurants. Maybe by clicking on the podium. There should be options to hire staff, choose uniform, and set which food is available on the menu. I liked that the TS3 store bistro allowed you to select from a huge list of meals that were installed in your game.
  • redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,050 Member
    edited December 2015
    Cinderellimouse you took the words right out of my mouth. I was pretty much going to say the same exact thing. It's probably because we have played all the iterations.

What I want out of a restaurant pack is this:

1. The ability if I so choose to own the restaurant
    • Hire Staff - NPC or my own Sims for job positions
    • Set uniforms for staff individually by job (Host, Server, Cook, Bartender, Musicians)
    • Set the Menu as I see fit (Breakfast,Lunch, Dinner, Desserts, Appetizers)
    • Set the opening hours
    • Set ambiance - (Types of Music) (Live entertainment i.e. musicians or radio)
    • Set the Type of restaurant (Japanese, Italian, French, American Diner/Deli/Hamburger Joint, English Pub Grub, German, Indian, Tex-Mex)

2. Bring back table interactions from Sims 2 basically how we all act when we eat out
    • Steal Food from Plate
    • Propose Marriage
    • Order multiple course before you pay the bill including from the bar
    • Dine & Dash
    • Make a toast
    • Flirt
    • Leave a tip
    • Blow a Kiss
    • Play Footsie (Thanks Cinder forgot about that one)
    • Give a Bite of food
    • Deep Discussion
    • Listen to traveling musician

3. Restaurant Equipment that helps define what style of restaurant we can have
    • Tandoori Oven for Indian restaurants
    • Brick Oven for Italian/Pizza places
    • Sushi Counter for Sushi/Japanese places
    • Hibachi Grill for Japanese places
    • Bbq Pit for Bbq restaurants
    • Don't forget Hostess stations
    • Themed Bars
    • Refrigerated Cases
    • Ice Cream Freezers - Ice Cream Store/Hamburger Joint
    • Shake Blenders - Ice Cream Store/Hamburger Joint

4. Radio speakers that play a single station and music appropriate for various previously mentioned restaurant types. Setting the mood is half the battle for successful restaurants
    • Generic Asian music - Using what Sims 3 had will work
    • Generic Italian music
    • Generic French - Using what Sims 2 & 3 had will work
    • Generic German
    • Generic Indian music
    • 50's style for Diners
    • Classical - for fine dining
    • Country for Bbq joints

5. New foods which makes everyone happy and add it to the list that can be learned by Sims even if they don't own a restaurant
    • Bangars & Mash - English Pub Grub
    • Beef Brisket - Bbq
    • Corned Beef Reuben Sandwiches - Deli/Diner/German
    • Club Sandwiches - Deli
    • Blt's - Deli
    • Fried Chicken with Mashed Potatoes & Green Beans - Diner/Southern/Soul Food
    • Fried Pork Chops with Mashed Potatoes & Carrots - Diner/Southern/Soul Food
    • Jambalaya - Cajun/ Southern
    • Fried Catfish with Corn on the Cob & Hush Puppies - Diner/Southern
    • Chicken Tikka Masala - Indian
    • Italian Submarine Sandwiches - Italian
    • Pizzas of various descriptions - Italian
    • Calzones of Various Descriptions - Italian
    • Weiner Schnitzel und Gravy - German
    • Cabbage Rolls - German
    • Hofbrau Schnitzel - German
    • Saurbraten und Gravy - German
    • Bratwurst - German
    • Chicken Parmasagn - Italian
    • Lasagna - Italian
    • Aloo Samosas - Indian
    • Vegetable Korma - Indian & Vegetarian
    • Butter Chicken - Indian
    • Tandoori Chicken - Indian
    • Goat Biryani - Indian
    • Steak au Poivre - French
    • Bbq Chicken - Bbq
    • Bbq Shredded Pork - Bbq
    • Bouillabaisse - French
    • Grandma's Chicken Noodle Soup - Deli/Diner
    • Cassoulet - French
    • Yakitori - Japanese
    • Chirashi - Japanese
    • Ramen - Japanese
    • Okonoyaki - Japanese
    • Takuyaki - Japanese
    • Curried Rice with an Egg on top - Japanese
    • Chicken Wings - Wing Place
    • Enchiladas - Tex-Mex
    • Street Tacos - Tex-Mex
    • Breakfast Tacos - Tex-Mex
    • Banana Splits, Shakes and Sundaes - Ice Cream Parlor/ Diner

6. A bit of ethnic attire that would be cute for uniforms especially for hosts
    7. If an instrument such as a piano, guitar or violin is placed in the restaurant a musical NPC will play upon it. Roving if it is portable from table to table and serenading.
    8. A little bit of decor that would be appropriate for each of these above mentioned restaurant types especially if they are ethnic in nature to help set the ambiance

9. I think as a cool new thing in a restaurant is "Have a Birthday" the waiter comes out with a slice of cake and sings a "Happy Birthday thing" then the Normal Birthday animation happens.
    Post edited by redrogue60 on
    “All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.” Terry Pratchett
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I'd like proper restaurants back too. I'd also like to be able to own and run a restaurant: setting the menu; taking orders; working in the kitchen; and profiting from sales. TS2 had pretty good restaurants. I also liked how in TS1 you had the cheap, and the expensive podiums (one for a diner, one for a bistro) and they would spawn NPC workers. I liked the guy who serenaded people at the tables, and tipping him well made him play a special romantic song. I liked the table interactions like 'play footsie' and 'steal food from plate' and there should be a special 'propose over dinner' interaction. I liked that you could try and skip out without paying, and I think you had to wash the dishes if you got caught?

Oh, even if you don't actively own and run the restaurant with your sims, if you only want to visit it, you should still be able to make themed restaurants. Maybe by clicking on the podium. There should be options to hire staff, choose uniform, and set which food is available on the menu. I liked that the TS3 store bistro allowed you to select from a huge list of meals that were installed in your game.

Yes I want OFB back too. Too bad GTW has already released lol
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited December 2015
    @Cinderellimouse Setting a menu would be easy too, since there are a lot of dishes to choose from already ... they could split it up into appetizers, entrees, and desserts.

APPETIZERS: Garden salad, shrimp cocktail, etc.
    ENTREES: Basically everything else, lol.
    DESSERTS: Anything that you can bake really.

Since there aren't that many dishes that could be considered "appetizers", they could dedicate a portion of their game pack to creating different soups and salads ... if they didn't want to complicate it that much, every restaurant could have a list of like 1-10 dishes that a player sets to choose from for their restaurant, and instead of having designated appetizers/entrees/desserts, they just allow the Sim to choose from those 1-10 dishes for as long as they want ... so you could have a Sim that stays there all day eating dish after dish, or a Sim that eats there for 1 dish and then leaves.

@redrogue60 Those are really good ideas. Your suggestions actually make it seem like it could be an entire expansion pack.
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    @redrogue60 I really like your list! I'd be thrilled if we got that! The good thing about making the basic coding of restaurants adaptable is that we can customise them with all future content! So if we got... say... and India inspired world, we could use that content to make India-themed restaurants. Or a sushi bar if we got Japan inspired content! I know those are stereotypes, but the point is that adaptable features make for a more rewarding gameplay experience in the long term. Also, it benefits the developers because they can sell us more stuff to make the various themes. 'Hey, if I buy that new Italian themed content I can make a pizzeria with my restaurant pack!'. Also it's always interesting to see what simmers come up with when they are given creative tools and freedom! Maybe we could make a restaurant specifically for vampires with a Supernatural pack! Or a vegan bistro for those ethically minded uni students.

@Sigzy05 Well, I think GTW dealt with the retail aspect, but it would be nice to see the business ownership side too. I don't think having GTW means we can't own restaurants. :-)

@Luke Yes! I really like the idea of setting the starter, main, and dessert courses! But I think I'd still like the freedom to choose between them as I please. Maybe someone might find it amusing to have a restaurant that serves chocolate cake for every meal! It could be next to the gym. XD

I like the suggestion of adding more 'starter' type meals too.
    @redrogue60 I really like your list! I'd be thrilled if we got that! The good thing about making the basic coding of restaurants adaptable is that we can customise them with all future content! So if we got... say... and India inspired world, we could use that content to make India-themed restaurants. Or a sushi bar if we got Japan inspired content! I know those are stereotypes, but the point is that adaptable features make for a more rewarding gameplay experience in the long term. Also, it benefits the developers because they can sell us more stuff to make the various themes. 'Hey, if I buy that new Italian themed content I can make a pizzeria with my restaurant pack!'. Also it's always interesting to see what simmers come up with when they are given creative tools and freedom! Maybe we could make a restaurant specifically for vampires with a Supernatural pack! Or a vegan bistro for those ethically minded uni students.

@Sigzy05 Well, I think GTW dealt with the retail aspect, but it would be nice to see the business ownership side too. I don't think having GTW means we can't own restaurants. :-)

@Luke Yes! I really like the idea of setting the starter, main, and dessert courses! But I think I'd still like the freedom to choose between them as I please. Maybe someone might find it amusing to have a restaurant that serves chocolate cake for every meal! It could be next to the gym. XD

I like the suggestion of adding more 'starter' type meals too.

Well I hope you are right....
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    edited December 2015
    How about we added Family resturants (ie places like Fast-Food like Mickey D's) and also add places like Timmies (Tim Hortons) with GTW you can have donutholes (Timbits in Canada) and..I need to look at my own resturant thread. We need for seafood items (look up Red Lobster)

Type 1 is fast food. French Fries, burgers, Fried Chicken.
    Type 2 would be causal dinning (like Tim Hortons)
    Type 3 would be a restaurants that have a host and servers (wait/waitress)
    Addiontal
    Cultural restaurants choices: Chinese, Italian, etc
    Post edited by MadameLee on
    6adMCGP.gif
    @MadameLee I don't really like the idea of "fast food" places like McDonald's ... I would prefer to just have diners, bakeries/cafes, and restaurants. We already pretty much have bakeries/cafes, but I want them to open them up more and create a system that actually replicates a bakery/cafe.

@Cinderellimouse I think one of the things that TS4 struggles with is that adaptability. I think that they have a bit of trouble creating content that is fluid and adaptable for future packs. You want all of the EP's to compliment each other, instead of each EP being in "boxes", so to speak. I think GT was a step in the right direction, and I think having an open-ended restaurant system would add so much to the game.

In my opinion, they should focus more on open ended systems that give the player control of their game play ... like how clubs were made with GT, and then they applied a theme to that system, but the heart of the EP is in the clubs and all the different things that you can do with them.
  • thankucatgodthankucatgod Posts: 398 Member
    Luke wrote: »
    @MadameLee I don't really like the idea of "fast food" places like McDonald's ... I would prefer to just have diners, bakeries/cafes, and restaurants. We already pretty much have bakeries/cafes, but I want them to open them up more and create a system that actually replicates a bakery/cafe.

Well, no one's saying you would have to use the fast food restaurants! There are a lot of things I don't want in my game, but other people deserve the option. :)
    MadameLee wrote: »
    How about we added Family resturants (ie places like Fast-Food like Mickey D's) and also add places like Timmies (Tim Hortons) with GTW you can have donutholes (Timbits in Canada) and..I need to look at my own resturant thread. We need for seafood items (look up Red Lobster)

Type 1 is fast food. French Fries, burgers, Fried Chicken.
    Type 2 would be causal dinning (like Tim Hortons)
    Type 3 would be a restaurants that have a host and servers (wait/waitress)
    Addiontal
    Cultural restaurants choices: Chinese, Italian, etc

I would LOVE these options for restaurants.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member
    the map should be twice the size of Magnolia Promenade....
    39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

@Thankucatgod You can have your ideas, for sure, but I just stated that I don't really like the idea of having "fast food" as a restaurant. I think the concept might be cool ... but I personally don't want it. Like what was stated earlier, perhaps they could create a system so that future EP's/GP's would work with it ... I wouldn't be enticed with fast food restaurants as part of a restaurant GP, but maybe they could come up with something in a future EP/GP, much like if a pizza oven were to be included in future content, you could use the restaurant GP to create a pizzeria.
  • ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,037 Member
    YAAASSS, so much YES to everyone in this thread! I need my restaurants and NPC waiters and chefs back! But we need to be able to run them ourselves as well! Please hear us Maxis, restaurants and fast food restaurants (+pizzerias) would make the game much more realistic! A game pack dedicated to this system would be perfect! <3
    @ULIBABA66 Let's get their attention then. :)
  • ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,037 Member
    @SimGuruDaniel @SimGuruSarah @SimGuruLyndsay @SimGuruDrake I hope you guys will see and read this thread and why restaurants mean so much to us :)