Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Interesting - the game out just 3 days and already on sale at Target. Amazing or what?

Comments

• PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I love how the OP vanished from the thread as soon as convincing proof was shown. I think it's funny how some people are on a personal journey for the death of TS4 and thrive with every negative thing like this (it's more like grasping at straws at this point).

Well that's better than twisting another's words around to make them right and everyone else wrong or devaluing others for thinking differently. My way of thinking anyways. (c:

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Sasquatch7Sasquatch7 Posts: 240 Member
    Target has done this sort of thing for quite awhile. I know that they did it with some of the expansions for Sims 3; here's a post from SimsVIP showing that they put University Life on sale for half off when it had only been out for a few weeks.

http://simsvip.com/2013/03/22/target-sale-university-life-19-99-324-330/

This isn't quite as good of a discount, but they did have a buy one, get one 50% off sale on Seasons and Supernatural when Seasons came out.

http://simsvip.com/2012/11/11/target-bogo-50-off-sims-3-supernatural-seasons/

I'm fairly certain that they did this for some other Sims 3 expansions, too, because I always waited to buy them at Target for a discount when they'd been out for a couple weeks. I think that Best Buy does this too from time to time, and has for quite awhile.

Amazon also listed Seasons and Supernatural for half off when they hadn't been out for very long; Seasons had only been out for less than a week.

http://simsvip.com/2012/11/18/amazon-supernatural-seasons-base-digital-for-19-99/
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    I got my copy for $29.99 whoot whoot! I know the OP's intention was to bad mouth this game, but I wouldn't have known about the savings without them. So.... thanks! Downloadingnowsoexcited!!!!!
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    If anything, it reflects more on Target than EA Games. As others have mentioned, Target paid what they paid for the games. They're taking the hit. Maybe I should check to see if the sale is on Origin.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • TMBrandonTMBrandon Posts: 229 Member
    edited December 2015
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    It's telling me Target didn't get the orders they expected and did not want to take a loss as that ten bucks is their profit they would make on the game.

Actually no, this is not true. All the expansion packs are currently on sale as well as the Sims 4 basegame, as said this was mistake. The delay on the game happened to fall on the same week the sale kicked off. We do not do sales by inventory. Sales are done by all sorts of factors. If it were on clearance, that would be a different story. Clearance is when we want to get stuff out of the store, off the shelves and much more. In fact, this sale is actually part of the "best sellers sale".

ETA: I work at Target and have been for the past 4 years. Primary source right here.
    edited December 2015
    TMBrandon wrote: »
    It's telling me Target didn't get the orders they expected and did not want to take a loss as that ten bucks is their profit they would make on the game.

Actually no, this is not true. All the expansion packs are currently on sale as well as the Sims 4 basegame, as said this was mistake. The delay on the game happened to fall on the same week the sale kicked off. We do not do sales by inventory. Sales are done by all sorts of factors. If it were on clearance, that would be a different story. Clearance is when we want to get stuff out of the store, off the shelves and much more. In fact, this sale is actually part of the "best sellers sale".

ETA: I work at Target and have been for the past 4 years. Primary source right here.

True. We are having killer sales where I work right now.

Update: The game is not on sale on Origin.
  • lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    http://simsvip.com/2015/12/09/the-sims-4-get-together-target-discounts-the-expansion-by-10-00/

I find this - I don't know - peculiar. I have never seen a Sims game go on sale so fast in my life. Spookystuff at least was out a week before it went half price.

You see, this is what I was talking about in the boycott thread. No one wants to step forward and actually DO SOMETHING. Not one comment on my post but plenty of comments on the negative posts. And now another thread about game sales. What good does this do?

Honey they never will that boycott is as usefull as Facebook likes to end world hunger. Either way those who sign up would never of bought these games (pledge or no pledge) and plus people are already giving up on it (I recommend some to not go on the GT thread and comment as you get caught out). People want the feeling of creating change but the most minimal effort to do so and then they end up creating these kind of posts in their spare time. No matter what no game will ever be perfect when I was on the Sims 3 forums it was WORSE everywhere people got upset and that lasted until the end the series anyone who says differently has one hell of a selective memory. I really believe no matter what they do or create EA know's it will not make everyone like this game because some are just so set on their belief nothing can change their minds. I still can't believe that people criticize the free patches saying they should of been in the game at the start but are missing the point that they're in the game now when EA could of just ignored it. I expect someone to come along and tell me i'm wrong cause that is inevitable but whatever they say I would of honestly heard before and I have given up trying to have a proper conversation with some because let's not forget in the end it's just a game it's a small pretty useless part of your life that you choose to purchase and play.
    edited December 2015
    Also just in case anyone want to say TS4 is not selling or a best seller:
    B9B73194-C1A8-4CD3-899E-C173846C9C12_zpstpjhj8fb.jpg

If that's a clipping from a flyer, it simply applies to the best sellers at that particular store within that category.

Not that it really matters. Like I mean, I totally jumped on an easel that was the best seller at the store I was shopping at today. Great deal and no one I know has one either. :p
    kremesch73 wrote: »

If that's a clipping from a flyer, it simply applies to the best sellers at that particular store within that category.

Not that it really matters. Like I mean, I totally jumped on an easel that was the best seller at the store I was shopping at today. Great deal and no one I know has one either. :p

Sales are done universally across all stores and metrics are gathered on a store by store basis then averaged/added for quarterly earnings.
    edited December 2015

Sales are done universally across all stores and metrics are gathered on a store by store basis then averaged/added for quarterly earnings.

Okay. So why isn't it on sale at Origin?

ETA: Or Walmart.ca or Walmart.com? Or Amazon.ca or Amazon.com? How does this make it universal?. Amazon's price is the highest I've checked so far with Walmart falling only shortly behind.

The best deal I've seen is at Origin, and it's still not on sale there.

ETA: Again: Ebgames is even expensive right now. It's not on sale. Where is this universal sale?
    edited December 2015

ETA: Or Walmart? Or Amazon.ca or Amazon.com? How does this make it universal?. Amazon's price is the highest I've checked so far with Walmart falling only shortly behind.

ETA: Again: Ebgames is even expensive right now.

I'm referring to Target stores. I.e. stores within Target are done company-wide not based on location. However, clearance is done on the Target store's location.
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member

ETA: Or Walmart? Or Amazon.ca or Amazon.com? How does this make it universal?. Amazon's price is the highest I've checked so far with Walmart falling only shortly behind.

He means universal for that particular chain of stores. Not all chains are going to have the same sales or even have the same prices.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
    So, in other words, it reflects nothing.

If you want to believe so, not here to change your way of thinking. :)

I mean the sale reflects nothing, as does the 'best seller' portion of the image. It's just a sale at a store and nothing more.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

I mean the sale reflects nothing, as does the 'best seller' portion of the image. It's just a sale at a store and nothing more.

I would assume that the chain doesn't actually get to invent bestseller lists out of pixie dust. Truth in advertising laws etc.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    http://simsvip.com/2015/12/09/the-sims-4-get-together-target-discounts-the-expansion-by-10-00/

I find this - I don't know - peculiar. I have never seen a Sims game go on sale so fast in my life. Spookystuff at least was out a week before it went half price.

You see, this is what I was talking about in the boycott thread. No one wants to step forward and actually DO SOMETHING. Not one comment on my post but plenty of comments on the negative posts. And now another thread about game sales. What good does this do?

I think a lot of the boycotters have changed their mind now after all the rave reviews.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    What I do know is as an adult shopping for many people at Christmas is that I don't want to go to that many stores if I can get it all done or most of it done at one time I will. Time is precious some big name that is on someone's list might pull me into a store where I find other things I could give as presents at the same time.. clothing, do-dads, crockpots you name it. Target is being smart.
    egTcBMc.png
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member

I don't find what's probably just a typo in a database peculiar at all. What I find peculiar is a self proclaimed EA shareholder so happy at the thought of EA not making money.
  • Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited December 2015
    Why do people feel the need to try and "prove" the sims 4 isn't selling as well as other games. A sale at target? Not really that far fetched considering it's mid December.
    edited December 2015

I would assume that the chain doesn't actually get to invent bestseller lists out of pixie dust. Truth in advertising laws etc.

Maybe it's different here in Canada. But we can state the bestsellers of our stores. The Best Seller list doesn't have to be Universal. There are loopholes gallore.

@Ponder the Sim The best seller in my store is related to paper crafting. I am not trying to disprove anything. I'm just saying Stores do as they will to generate sales.
  • RARAWRARAW Posts: 863 Member
    To be honest...I wish I could have waited for the Target sale -.- lol Congrats to those who had self control and waited for the sale lol :#
    tumblr_n5dt2fzXjY1s7xoeto1_500.gif
    RARAW wrote: »
    To be honest...I wish I could have waited for the Target sale -.- lol Congrats to those who had self control and waited for the sale lol :#

Even if I wanted, I would not give Target my money.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

Maybe it's different here in Canada. But we can state the bestsellers of our stores. The Best Seller list doesn't have to be Universal. There are loopholes gallore.

@Ponder the Sim The best seller in my store is related to paper crafting. I am not trying to disprove anything. I'm just saying Stores do as they will to generate sales.

Why would a large chain go to extra effort to twist things to sell a game title? They have a system for selling things that aren't selling well. They also have no need to pander to people who like the title and want to believe it sells well. What's it to Target? Nothing. They lose nothing by selling actual bestsellers as such and actual nonsellers on clearance - and using the real data takes less work. Large chain economics aren't the same as single indie store economics.

There's just so much grasping at straws in these discussions, trying to find evidence that the game isn't doing well. What's the point? Just for people who don't like it to feel they're more right about not liking it? in bigger and therefore better company? I don't get why people don't just accept that different folks have different tastes and sometimes something we don't like is going to be somewhat popular without our help and without cheating its way there.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.