Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Challenge rules, Legacy questions, random events

So, I'm trying to spice up my Legacy family. I'm running into my dreaded inability to make it past the second generation. With this in mind, I have some questions/requests from you guys:

1. I've just gone over the official legacy rules. There aren't really much regarding the spouse, other than that they must be a game-generated (or #legacylove), and cannot bring money in. I wonder why, though, there's so much emphasis on not downloading anyone from the gallery. It's mentioned that they don't want you to try to shop for the perfect traits, but there's no rules saying you can't learn the potential spouse's traits before you decide whether to marry them or not, so you can easily shop around there. Does anyone have any thoughts/understanding of the reasoning for not allowing regular gallery choices (ie: not just #legacyloves)?

2. Does anyone know of any supplementary rules for Gameplay or Spouse choices that I could add?

3. Does anyone know of a nice list of random events tailored to the Sims 4 (complete with rules about when to use them)? I love disasters and suprises, so things like "Cousin died, adopt "their" baby," or "Unstable economy, lose job" are totally welcome, in addition to nice options.

4. Are there any general challenge rules out there, not tied to a specific challenge itself (Legacy, 100 babies, Apocalypse, what have you)?

Feel free to go outside this list and suggest/comment on anything that might be interesting, helpful, or add to the conversation. :) Thanks a bunch guys.

Comments

• ScalesofGreyScalesofGrey Posts: 183 Member
    1. Maybe it has to do with skilling/A students? I know that #legacyloves must be marked unplayed before they can be uploaded to the gallery. I think the point is to make them as close to townies (say, a blank state) so players won't get an unfair advantage.

4. First thing that comes to mind is that you must play with 'Normal' lifespan and aging must be turned on for everyone. Is that what you mean?

The rules are more like guidelines anyway. Most of the legacies (through WordPress, tumblr, what have you) I follow break the rules consistently which allows for less rigid playstyles. As long as the stories are interesting I don't mind at all.
  • thankucatgodthankucatgod Posts: 398 Member
    edited December 2015
    I can answer the first question.

I assume it'd be quite a bit quicker (and easier) to pick the traits you want by picking someone out from the gallery. If you spend all your time in game trying to find someone with valuable traits, it could be wasting valuable play time. Like "Oh, this sim is a goofball! Perfect" A few minutes later you find out he's hot-headed, and if you don't like that, you'd have to go find another sim, and risk the same thing happening.

Of course you can do whatever you'd like, though. It's your legacy, so if you want to use a gallery sim, you can use a gallery sim. The big legacy challenge in the sky isn't going to shoot you with a bolt of lightning for doing it.

If you like the idea of random events, (I tried looking for some specifically for random events but couldn't find any that weren't S3) you could look at other specific challenges and use some of their ideas. (Such as your examples or a natural disaster happening and having to rebuild from scratch) I've done this before and numbered them. Then I'd roll a die every couple generations and whatever number it landed on was the event that would occur.

I think it adds a lot of freedom and you can really make it your own that way. Hope this was helpful!
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    For the first...I think it's because it takes the randomness out of the challenge if you can go to the gallery and basically one stop shop for the perfect mate for you Sim be it their looks or their traits or even some of the skills they may get already have and plop them into your game to easily go meet them rather than to have to search and hunt for them in the game. I've used LegacyLoves once and for me it ended up being a lot less fun since I already knew everything about him before we even met. For me it adds to the fun of the challenge when I have to search for the perfect mate for my sims and I've run into quite a few amazing townie sims in my game. Yeah they might not have perfect looks or perfect traits but that just adds to their charm in the end.

But the important thing to remember is that at the end of the day the rules are just guidelines. I know a lot of people (myself included) who just use the challenge rules as a basis and the flesh it out in ways that worked best for their own playstyle. There's nothing to say you can't tweak the rules as you see fit.

And if you're not happy with the challenges that are out there you could also always make up your own challenge. That can be a lot of fun too!
    ~ ~ ~
  • AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    Here's a nice link to spice up your legacy: http://randomlegacy.com

It tells you exactly how a generation must be played. I intend on going by this for all 10 of them and just roll the rules when a new heir takes over.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • ModifienModifien Posts: 363 Member
    @Amiutza oh, that's an interesting one to try. Thanks for the link!

@3KNPen eh, I am ways give spouses or friends CAS makeovers anyway. I am actually trying to see if this generation can find their own spouse, with the new autonomy.

I play on long life, so I do bend the rules. :) I also ignore scoring, since I play for story telling. I like to be able to take a day off and just enjoy the city, or do what I think my sim would want to do, instead of focusing on goals the whole time.