Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Patch Notes Addressed Culling Issue

So I found this part of the patch notes to be really refreshing. I've often complained about the lack of communication regarding culling, and so this detailed response was extremely appreciated by me. How about you guys? Does this change how you feel at all?

Source: forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/863471/december-4-2015-patch-notes#latest

If you don't want to read it from the notes, here it is.
Hey folks,

I wanted to take a moment to speak directly to one of our most important issues.

We have listened to your feedback on culling and performance. And we have been, and will continue to address these issues, and have a group dedicated to them.

Some of the work they have been doing recently has been focused on optimizing load times, reducing memory usage, and increasing performance… but what about culling? Well, it turns out culling happens because of the need of those three items: load times, memory usage, and performance.
Outdoor Retreat was over using our compatibility region filters (when a Sim is requested for a “thing” we use a filter to determine who). Such that when the filter failed to find someone that fit the requirements exactly (male, bartending skill 5, young adult), it created a new Sim to fit the role rather than allowing for some flexibility (bartending 4 or 6 is probably just as well).
Along the same lines, we took the above fix and made it general – rather than always creating exactly what was requested by the game, we allow flexibility. Reducing the number of new Sims being created, that more often than not, would just come and go without the player realizing.
Get to Work added aliens, and one of the requests of the spawning system was to create disguised aliens. Turns out we were creating A LOT of disguised aliens. Not on purpose, but there was a cool down assigned to the spawned Sim that would then prevent them from spawning again in a given period of time. Sadly, the system was requesting ‘in disguise’ aliens more frequently than the cooldown’s timer… and thus creating brand new Sims on each request. We adjusted the tuning, and saw an increase in performance.
We have spent some time optimizing lighting draw calls, to assist with framerate issues while in Build Mode.
We removed some data duplication between the game side code and Create A Sim code, saving around 50kb per Sim data (also known as SimInfos).
The smaller the size of a SimInfo, the faster it is to load a given Sims information.
We discovered a large memory and performance spike as a result of inventories. Turns out that NPCs, who don’t need to know exactly what is in their inventory when they are an NPC, were carrying around large amounts of data and in some cases could have many hundreds of inventory objects, resulting in slow load times, and memory/performance spikes when the NPC was created.
Now NPCs do not instantiate most of the objects in their inventories until needed. This provides a much needed relief in the runtime performance spikes in our test environment.

These are some of the specific issues we have addressed recently, all with the goal of making the game stable, performant, and enjoyable. Please know that we are always looking at performance, culling, memory, and load time optimization issues among our highest priority issues. And while we can’t always speak to them, we are always appreciative of your feedback.

Thank you,
SimGuruGnome
tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg

Comments

• PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I found it to be a bit ambiguous as to if it's actually been fixed or if they don't know what they did will fix it.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    I kinda of didn't understand what they said about culling, did they fixed it or not??? :|
    tenor.gif
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Seems more like they adjusted it. Wouldn't that be a fix?
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    Have they not increased the limit though? Seems to me they have just decreased the number of Sims created.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I saw this. It was a reply to a question about the culling fix.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I like that they have looked at the npc spawning and found out how to curb that a bit. It looks like the npcs were dragging things around when they shouldnt be and it also looks like they've tweaked the requirements for their roles so as to not make it so rigid. Therefore the game won't spawn that exact sim that they set up. Which is a good thing!
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    It's great to see some additional communication but it would be even greater if it was a little more clear- From what I can read they've worked around the game auto-creating so many sims and aliens (thank-you to that last one) but in the end it still seems a stop gap measure that provides zero assurance that if your sim takes up a relationship with a non-housed character they won't simply disappear the next day. Nor does it speak to the decimation of family trees. Yes, it does try to explain why culling happens- my game play is periodically destroyed so it can load faster, great- but I still don't see fixes and sorry, but it's been a year and there should be something more to fixing the problem done at this point.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    @XopaxPax To me it sounded like they did some digging, found some issues, made some adjustments, but will need our continued feedback to be sure it's working correctly. Be on your toes and if you see family tree culling, be sure to post it in the feedback section.

Yes, this.

Thank you.

Thanks SimGuruBChick! I appreciate the confirmation greatly. ::hugs::

Oh I missed that on twitter, thanks for sharing @PHOEBESMOM601
    That definitely reaffirms what I was thinking. The transparency is nice, though, and I do appreciate them sharing the efforts they're making to remedy the situation.

@Moodbeamy If the game is over generating sims, and you were to adjust the rate to stop doing that, maybe we wouldn't need a cap increase? I'm not sure, but I will definitely be watching my family trees so that I can provide some feedback as to how effective these adjustments are during game play.
    @fullspiral I agree (the NPC thing surprised me too). I'm really happy with the changes they made and that they shared what they found with us.

@JasonAnthonySterling You're totally right about that. There is no concrete IT'S FIXED statement, and I think that was omitted on purpose, because they really aren't sure what is going to happen after 16 generations of game play. I think that's where we as the player are supposed to step in and lets them know if this is a good "fix" for legacy gameplay. It was nice to read that they have a team dedicated to this issue, though. It's nice to know they view it important enough for a dedicated team, because it sure is important to me!
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @XopaxPax To me it sounded like they did some digging, found some issues, made some adjustments, but will need our continued feedback to be sure it's working correctly. Be on your toes and if you see family tree culling, be sure to post it in the feedback section.

Yes, this.

Thank you.

Thanks SimGuruBChick. Appreciate your confirmation. I noticed that there were some tweaks to disguised aliens, which makes me a bit nervous. I really hope this isn't turned down too much. Alien abductions were turned down too, to where they hardly ever happen. I definitely appreciate all of the efforts you guys put in to give us a great gaming experience. Hopefully, we will still see disguised aliens.
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    I am glad about those digging and fixes of sim generation but the question is what is the new cap?
    When will the culling mechanic gets triggered by the game?
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
    edited December 2015
    @halimali1980 I'm not sure if any adjustments were made to the cap limit. @SimGuruBChick do you know if there was a change to the cap limit?
    I do plan to do a lot of legacy playing to see if I can get culling to trigger, though, so I'll keep everyone posted on how that goes. Hopefully others are doing the same!

Edit: As much as I adore TS4, culling is a primary joy killer for me, so I'm probably a bit overly excited about this. Forgive me! lol
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    @halimali1980 I'm not sure if any adjustments were made to the cap limit. @SimGuruBChick do you know if there was a change to the cap limit?
    I do plan to do a lot of legacy playing to see if I can get culling to trigger, though, so I'll keep everyone posted on how that goes. Hopefully others are doing the same!

Edit: As much as I adore TS4, culling is a primary joy killer for me, so I'm probably a bit overly excited about this. Forgive me! lol

culling is a game killer indeed.
    If the game is not generating unnecessary sims anymore (which is something good) does not mean culling will not start because we players are making many sims as townies or playable. Not raising the minimum cap to a much bigger number or stopping culling all together would mean the problem will continue to haunt us again and again.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    I can confirm that the cap limit has been expanded to account for new features added in Get Together. Combined with improved tuning, bug fixes and performance optimizations, we hope this will help with the culling issues.

Thanks! Do you know the new limit?
  • jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Hi @SimGuruBChick !
    Can you tell us how high the cap limit has been expanded from the old one?
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • The_SimScraperThe_SimScraper Posts: 2,083 Member
    I can confirm that the cap limit has been expanded to account for new features added in Get Together. Combined with improved tuning, bug fixes and performance optimizations, we hope this will help with the culling issues.

Could you let us know the new limit? It's not 181 is it? :D
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited December 2015

Thank you (and everybody there) so much! Really happy to not have to worry about this on Tuesday :)

Also, thank you for all the culling notes! We really needed the reassurance and details!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Okay, thank you for the info :)
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member

Thank you (and everybody there) so much! Really happy to not have to worry about this on Tuesday :)

Also, thank you for all the culling notes! We really needed the reassurance and details!

i second this! such good stuff and notes on culling very informative of how complex the issue is
  • Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    This message is more about why the game generates a lot of Sims, but culling can still occur after playing a lot of generations, because townie ghosts count as population and if you don't delete them before they die, there is no other way to remove them and they clog up your game.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Anemone7 wrote: »
    This message is more about why the game generates a lot of Sims, but culling can still occur after playing a lot of generations, because townie ghosts count as population and if you don't delete them before they die, there is no other way to remove them and they clog up your game.

Check @SimGuruBChick's comments later on p. 1, though.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.