Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Back with yet another question...

Okay! I'm about ready to export a beta version of the world I'm working on so I can start building and testing, but I'm having a weird problem that shows up in caw and in game that I haven't been able to fix.

2z6c83n.jpg

The water is a different color on either side of the map border. It's made even worse when I add a lighting mod to the world file, but this is what it looks like without that. Is there any way to fix this? I've tried everything I can think of.

Comments

• AshpeefAshpeef Posts: 173 Member
    One way to mitigate this is to make sure the water at the borders is deep enough, so lower the terrain at the edge. If you can't make it any deeper there, try to make the water less transparant (more 'murky').
  • srHz86srHz86 Posts: 54 Member
    Thanks for the answer, Ashpeef. The terrain can't get any lower at the edges of the map, and it has been flattened all the way around. How do you go about making the water less transparent?
  • flstriderflstrider Posts: 1,912 Member
    You may have to raise your sea level a bit to hide the map boundaries, if you can do that it may help
    My World's thread linked in Sig
    NewSig.jpg

The sea level is pretty high as is, but I did try raising it in increments to see if that would help and it didn't :( I think this might just have to be something I have to deal with, unfortunately.
  • StellaTorontoStellaToronto Posts: 2,123 Member
    If this is something that will come to bother you down the road. It's best to fix it before you put more work into world.
    It will take a little fiddling now, but it'll be much more problematic if you decide to do it later.
    The water transparency is determined by it's ini file. You'll need to extract/alter/re install using Spe3.
    A worlds ini files determine global conditions, so might be a bit heavy handed for dealing with this one issue.
    Simpler solution would be to export your world height map, alter with a graphics program to lower map edges, then reinstall altered map in CAW.
    These changes can be made to your pre export world files.
    stellatorontosims.tumblr.com
    edited December 2015
    Are there any tutorials you could link me to that would explain how to lower map edges? I've tried finding them on my own but have come up empty handed. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to all this stuff.

Editing to add: If all else fails, would someone mind taking a look at the world for me? I've worked hard on it and would hate to scrap it if this is something that can be fixed.
    Post edited by srHz86 on
  • AshpeefAshpeef Posts: 173 Member
    Stella pointed at the answer to your question: export the height map, change it in a graphics program, then re-import into CAW. Here's a basic description of how to do the graphics part.

A height map is a grayscale image. Different grays mean different heights. So, using something like PhotoShop's curves on such an image you can selectively change your landscape.
    In your case you'd like to lower the contrast in the higher (above sea level) parts and stretch it in the lower (below sea level). That's possible by applying an uneven S-shaped curve. That way your mountains get slightly squashed, your mid height terrain is not affected much (more or less evenly pulled upward) and your ocean's depth profile is made more steep.
    Now you can bring the sea level plane up to match the original coast line, thus making the borders of your map deeper.
    @srHz86 If you would like I can take a look at the world for you. I would need the world file, settings file and the world folder to open it properly in CAW. I also think you should use what Stella had mentioned about exporting your heightmap if you are comfortable with photoshop or another graphics program.
    NewSig.jpg

@Ashpeef Yeah, I'm lost ha. I wouldn't know where to begin using a photo editor to alter a height map, or anything else for that matter. I think I'd do more harm than good, to be honest. Thanks for the instructions though!

@flstrider Oh man, that would be great. You've been so helpful with all the questions I've had I really, really, REALLY appreciate it. Is there a way to pm you a link? It's an edit of a user-made world and I wouldn't want them to think I'm putting it out there without permission or something.
    just send me a PM here on my profile page
    NewSig.jpg

edited December 2015
    @srHz86 I looked at your world and on the version you sent I do see the issue with the map edges. It is a CAW thing I get that in some of my worlds as well. But when you get the world in game it will be ok and you will not see that edge at all. Its just a weird camera angle in caw that creates that "edge" it usually sets on a chunk boundary border when the camera is far enough away from the second boundary it will draw that edge at times.
    NewSig.jpg