Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your Preference: Wedding Ceremony or Eloping?

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Sheesh! I'm still waiting for the notification that reads, "[Sim A] and [Sim B] Just Fell In Love!" :s

That does not exist in TS4 :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    edited December 2015
    Wedding or just get it over with? I always go with Just Get It Over With. There's zero reason to use the 'wedding' since there's zero features/content to it other than people standing under some lawn ornament and people standing around them, big whoop right? Right. Now if they released DLC that expands it into a real wedding ceremony then sure I'd use the wedding option. Walking the bride down the isle, flower girl, ring bearer, bride and groom dance, wedding cake, cake in face interaction, honeymoon, limo, chapel, everyone standing when the bride walks down the isle, etc. especially if they bring back bachelor/bachelorette parties-oh those dancers! <3
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I usually have a wedding party. I tend to play large families so that is a great way for them to get together outside of a typical party.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • ferret9005ferret9005 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Elope. quick and painless!
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Unless it's for story purposes, elope. I don't like weddings.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    Every time I try to have a wedding, there is a problem with it, my sims either fall asleep before it happens, or they have to go to the bathroom, or they are hungry. None of their friends watch the wedding until it is well underway. I had one sim have to go to work. Also you have to stop and have them change clothes, as they are never wearing anything appropriate. Maybe I am just doing somethings wrong, but the wedding does not seem to work out well for me at all.

The thing is, a perfect wedding is impossible, a good wedding takes meticulous planning.

Here's a few tips/some unasked for advice ;):
    Before the wedding:
    • Make sure the bride and groom have the day off, or take the day off.
    • Plan outfits, make the perfect wedding outfit under formal wear, remember/write down the number (e.g. formal 2).
    • Know your intended guests' job and their work hours, choose a day a lot of the don't have to work.
    • Bake the cake, put the thing on it (don't remember what it's called), put it in the fridge. Make some more food too, prepare drinks (unless you have the drink/chocolate fountain from LP), store everything in the fridge.
    • Place a wedding arch (in the back yard, or at least some distance off the place Sims ordinarily enter the lot).
    • Make sure you have enough tables with chairs and a stereo. Move any instruments you may have to your family inventory.

Planning the wedding:
    • Weddings take forever, so start early and make sure your Sim's needs are full (a bit hungry is OK, they'll have cake later).
    • Invite plenty of guests (eight at least, in case someone doesn't come or leaves during the party).
    • Do not hire a caterer, bartender or entertainer.

The wedding:
    • Get bride and groom to the wedding arch, as guests start arriving call them to you (that's why you place the arch at a bit of a distance or you won't be able to perform that action).
    • Perform the ceremony.
    • Get the cake out of the fridge, cut it, eat it.
    • Guests will help themselves to drinks if you prepared them beforehand.
    • Follow the party requirements, I don't think weddings require flirty or playful moods, if they do, the VIP bucket thing you get for gold dates may be useful, or MySims statues (I always use those things to get past those party goals fast and on dates too).
    • Engage guests in conversations, dance with them to the stereo.

It may end up looking like this:
    pjwq4qvd9byp.png
    k3jj2kij8egc.png
    xoxzgbiy2yp7.png
    2zgpds0a4qgr.png

Hope this helps :)
    Scobre wrote: »
    That is so sad. :( I hope you have a nice Sims wedding in your game someday. My most epic wedding was in the Sims 2 in which the limo caught on fire.

How did you do that? And where is the LOL button when you need it? ;)

Hmm.

Using Get Together you could have one of the sims be a member of a group of friends. Let them talk, dance and be friendly. Since the club-feature gets them even if they have a job you won't have to look at the schedule of every sim that you want to invite. I will experiment with it myself, have two sims who will get married some time after moving to Windenburg. Could have one group with the bride's family and one with the groom's. Hmm....
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Love love love doing weddings. I hope they fixed the invisible cake bug when two sims share a slice. It's just so cute in TS4.

They didn't. This happened during the first ceremony I tried the other day.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    I always have a Wedding Party. Even for random side-character sims who I never really play, but I wanted them to get married for whatever reason. I think Weddings are my favorite event to watch in the sims. Rocket launches are a close runner up.
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I always have a big church Wedding I have Bridesmaids and I make sure everyone is dressed for the occasion. After the Wedding Ceramoney there is alway a reception afterwood. THen I send my couple on a honeymoon, I try to make each Wedding different I decorate each one according to the personalites of my Sims. I always use CC for my Brides dresses they are the best.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    Every time I try to have a wedding, there is a problem with it, my sims either fall asleep before it happens, or they have to go to the bathroom, or they are hungry. None of their friends watch the wedding until it is well underway. I had one sim have to go to work. Also you have to stop and have them change clothes, as they are never wearing anything appropriate. Maybe I am just doing somethings wrong, but the wedding does not seem to work out well for me at all.

The thing is, a perfect wedding is impossible, a good wedding takes meticulous planning.

Here's a few tips/some unasked for advice ;):
    Before the wedding:
    • Make sure the bride and groom have the day off, or take the day off.
    • Plan outfits, make the perfect wedding outfit under formal wear, remember/write down the number (e.g. formal 2).
    • Know your intended guests' job and their work hours, choose a day a lot of the don't have to work.
    • Bake the cake, put the thing on it (don't remember what it's called), put it in the fridge. Make some more food too, prepare drinks (unless you have the drink/chocolate fountain from LP), store everything in the fridge.
    • Place a wedding arch (in the back yard, or at least some distance off the place Sims ordinarily enter the lot).
    • Make sure you have enough tables with chairs and a stereo. Move any instruments you may have to your family inventory.

Planning the wedding:
    • Weddings take forever, so start early and make sure your Sim's needs are full (a bit hungry is OK, they'll have cake later).
    • Invite plenty of guests (eight at least, in case someone doesn't come or leaves during the party).
    • Do not hire a caterer, bartender or entertainer.

The wedding:
    • Get bride and groom to the wedding arch, as guests start arriving call them to you (that's why you place the arch at a bit of a distance or you won't be able to perform that action).
    • Perform the ceremony.
    • Get the cake out of the fridge, cut it, eat it.
    • Guests will help themselves to drinks if you prepared them beforehand.
    • Follow the party requirements, I don't think weddings require flirty or playful moods, if they do, the VIP bucket thing you get for gold dates may be useful, or MySims statues (I always use those things to get past those party goals fast and on dates too).
    • Engage guests in conversations, dance with them to the stereo.

It may end up looking like this:
    pjwq4qvd9byp.png
    k3jj2kij8egc.png
    xoxzgbiy2yp7.png
    2zgpds0a4qgr.png

Hope this helps :)
    Scobre wrote: »
    That is so sad. :( I hope you have a nice Sims wedding in your game someday. My most epic wedding was in the Sims 2 in which the limo caught on fire.

How did you do that? And where is the LOL button when you need it? ;)

The Caterers are useless. But the entertainers and bartenders work fine.
  • kerryn96kerryn96 Posts: 205 Member
    I've always made my Sims just elope out of pure laziness, lol, I've never been one to throw many parties on the Sims. However the other day I threw my first actual wedding on TS4 and it was actually quite fun, almost made me late for work IRL lol. Only problem was that I didn't realise the wedding would begin as soon as you click "Plan Wedding event" o.O I was thinking it would be the same as previous Sims games and you could set a time for the wedding to begin... So it was a very disorganised wedding. I chose a Sim that I know has a high cooking skill to be caterer, but she didn't do a thing. She just arrived and stood around, so I had to ask her to leave. The poor groom had to quickly slap together some BLT before the ceremony.

At least next time I will know to plan ahead, because I certainly want to throw more weddings from now on. They made good photo opportunities :)
  • SimsFurSimsFur Posts: 1,998 Member
    It definitly depends on the characters. I usually go for big wedding on a wedding venue, cause i want to play something that could be remembered.

With 3 roommates living together, one of them found his soulmate outside the house and got married with her in a chruch. i choose this cause they were good, decent people and i thought a churche would fit well in their story and personality. Here are some pics of it

8_5_15_21_18_2.png

8_5_15_21_33_2.png

8_5_15_21_36_2.png

The other two roommates gor married together eventually after a long ride and since they had a lot of money and the male was the fancy rich type, he decided to give a classy party at home and marry there. I didnt feel like they had to go to an open venue and celebrate their marriage there since they are both a bit private people. It was more classy to have it in their nice, big home with good friends.

22_5_15_18_39.png

22_5_15_19_15.png
  • hope1275hope1275 Posts: 264 Member
    edited December 2015
    Frn0731 wrote: »
    I go either way depending on the couple involved . I have a wedding lot so it's not a lot of planning except I must remember to bake a cake. Some times my bride or groom end up doing the baking because the caterer is useless.

.. I've had some get married in the bathroom... I don't know why that happens to me so often ... same as proposals :s

I've had that happen, too, even when I have the wedding arch outside! It only happens when I have a wedding, though. I don't think any of my eloping sims have ever gotten married in the bathroom.

ETA: I have my sims elope. I don't like the linear party idea. I know I don't have to follow it, but I'm competitive (even with myself) and of course want the gold medal! So it just adds pressure. :smile:
    Post edited by hope1275 on

z8Bu8FZ.gif

• ChambersNChambersN Posts: 227 Member
    There's times I've did an actual ceremony, but mostly I do eloping , its quicker lol
    Weddings are not hard it does take a little practice and patience if it doesn't work the first time dont' save and try again. I had to do this a lot in Sims 3 among other things, but it can be done and you can have a nice Wedding. One thing that does work well in SIms 4 the guests tend to stay a big longer then in Sims 3.
  • LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    candy8 wrote: »
    Weddings are not hard it does take a little practice and patience if it doesn't work the first time dont' save and try again. I had to do this a lot in Sims 3 among other things, but it can be done and you can have a nice Wedding. One thing that does work well in SIms 4 the guests tend to stay a big longer then in Sims 3.

Definitely. As we had the wedding in a "lounge", some just hung around longer for drinks and dancing. I didn't invite too many as it was actually my first party as well...lol. That and I tend to think the two I had wouldn't be much for big crowds. And it's easier to chat to people with. @_@
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
    I usually put some friends in my household and then invite the rest that is of course if you want a big Wedding, but I also tend to prefer smaller ones. I think they work out better.
  • 0Chloe0Chloe Posts: 1,922 Member
    I always hold a wedding ceremony. I've never eloped. I should try it.
    nR9bj3xc5JPW0.gif
  • ScalesofGreyScalesofGrey Posts: 183 Member
    It honestly depends on the couple. I like hosting weddings, but sometimes they more trouble than they're worth.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    It depends on the couple I'm playing.
    Like, the one I'm playing right now are going to have a ceremony, while the boyfriend's sister eloped when she married.
  • siennaSTARsiennaSTAR Posts: 739 Member
    I prefer to have an actual wedding, but like OP for me it's very Sim-specific. I had my 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Sims elope in the park near their home, where they frequently have their morning tea. It was intimate and very relaxed. They spent the rest of the day enjoying one another's company and creating wonderful memories. :-) My other Sim married a woman who was the heir to her father's fortune, and so naturally their wedding was rather extravagant. It all depends on what feels right!
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    Some of my sims really want to have big weddings, but I've noticed I don't really enjoy them that much. Usually it's just something that needs to be played through to get it done. I guess my answer is that I prefer eloping, I wouldn't even care if they never got married at all. It's too bad I have many conservative sims. I think I'll try to persuade my sims to have smaller weddings and also do more eloping in the future.
    siennaSTAR wrote: »
    I prefer to have an actual wedding, but like OP for me it's very Sim-specific. I had my 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Sims elope in the park near their home, where they frequently have their morning tea. It was intimate and very relaxed. They spent the rest of the day enjoying one another's company and creating wonderful memories. :-) My other Sim married a woman who was the heir to her father's fortune, and so naturally their wedding was rather extravagant. It all depends on what feels right!

For your ones that eloped, did you have a cake for them too because they will still do the cake cutting action. Found it really make it personal for my two that did elope. And not even a cake-face smash. :D
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

• siennaSTARsiennaSTAR Posts: 739 Member

For your ones that eloped, did you have a cake for them too because they will still do the cake cutting action. Found it really make it personal for my two that did elope. And not even a cake-face smash. :D

I didn't actually, but now that you say that I am definitely going to try!
    siennaSTAR wrote: »

I didn't actually, but now that you say that I am definitely going to try!

Definitely do so. Just be sure cake is made before eloping, as you would for a wedding and once they finish exchanging vows, click on the cake and the action to take the first slice should be there. It's quite adorable. X3
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184