Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The 4x4 Challenge for Sims 3

Comments

• SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    @suzses - your house is so pretty! And here I was nagging you for updates - ok, enough updates! lol (kidding!) Weather just kills my pc so... no weather for me. :( But soooo pretty. I don't know why I haven't played in this world either. I got it when it first released and then it just... kinda sat there. Bad Surreal!! I get what you mean about forgetting to take pictures - that is usually my downfall with challenges - get too involved in play and no snappies and then people are like... what the plum happened? You had two rooms, now it's a freakin' mansion...

@Charlottesmom - do the rules address whatever money a sim has on-hand when they move in? You could do the 5x5... or just crack that whip a bit! lol (crack that whip, give the past the slip... oh, sorry - but I mean... it's unavoidable; and no I'm not wearing a weird red hat right now)
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Surreal wrote: »
    @suzses - your house is so pretty! And here I was nagging you for updates - ok, enough updates! lol (kidding!) Weather just kills my pc so... no weather for me. :( But soooo pretty. I don't know why I haven't played in this world either. I got it when it first released and then it just... kinda sat there. Bad Surreal!! I get what you mean about forgetting to take pictures - that is usually my downfall with challenges - get too involved in play and no snappies and then people are like... what the plum happened? You had two rooms, now it's a freakin' mansion...

@Charlottesmom - do the rules address whatever money a sim has on-hand when they move in? You could do the 5x5... or just crack that whip a bit! lol (crack that whip, give the past the slip... oh, sorry - but I mean... it's unavoidable; and no I'm not wearing a weird red hat right now)

I think whatever money the roommate, fiancee, or spouse had when the moved in should be deleted out with familyfunds, or just spent on something very close to the amount and object deleted out. A couple dollars wouldn't matter but if they moved in with hundreds or thousands it would be unfair to the rules.
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Minor (hah!) update: Marshall and Morida decided it was time to start their family. We have one crib and no extra space, right? Game rarely throws me twins, but of course . . . it did. Entering on the scene: daughters Maeve and Merna. Good thing Marshall just cut some gems and was able to raise enough cash for the next house expansion. Probably also a good thing Morida doesn't have much to do with herself. Think she'll be busy.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • dx1965dx1965 Posts: 335 Member
    I love what everyone is sharing. Great houses.
    I tried and failed to do this but I want to try again. Can someone explain how I post images of what I end up doing?
    suzses wrote: »
    Minor (hah!) update: Marshall and Morida decided it was time to start their family. We have one crib and no extra space, right? Game rarely throws me twins, but of course . . . it did. Entering on the scene: daughters Maeve and Merna. Good thing Marshall just cut some gems and was able to raise enough cash for the next house expansion. Probably also a good thing Morida doesn't have much to do with herself. Think she'll be busy.

Congratulations on the twins!! I have only had 2 sets of twins in my game (I never use the potion to increase the chances as I like singletons) the first time it was fine as the couple already had 4 kids so 2 more was fine, the older ones were all children and teens so no biggie.

The second set really miffed me as I had a whole story in my head and the entire story revolved around Summer giving birth to a daughter, a single daughter as it would be her only child before Summer's untimely demise. I needed her to have her daughter, divorce Simon-her husband, start dating another Sim, have a son with him then die. Summer's boyfriend starts taking care of his son and Summer's daughter, then stuff happens as the daughter ages up....it is a really warped senario that I have played through once and loved. But Summer and Simon shocked me with twin girls Sasha and Sophie so my evil plans were ruined and I wound up just playing with that family for a long time, they even had a son later on, a cute little vampire kiddo named Seth (no not my Seth now). Their family was my all time favorite for a long time but I couldn't for the life of me save the family to my library. I had a copy of Simon and Summer but not the kids, still do and they go into every one of my new games. :) . I'm actually very glad she had twins, fouling up my plans as they might have been a throw away family (except Simon, my all time favorite vampire and his daughter as she would have been the main character).

Wow, that turned into quite the post....sorry. ;)
    dx1965 wrote: »
    I tried and failed to do this but I want to try again. Can someone explain how I post images of what I end up doing?

I hope you will try again :) Would love to see/hear about whatever you do.

I've been using photobucket for my pics, and I just cut and paste the link it gives marked "img" into my post. You just have to have your picture up somewhere online; can't be only on your computer.

There's an icon above where you type in your comments here on the forum that looks like a piece of paper and says "attach image/file" that you can use, too. It puts the img tags on it for you. Haven't been needing to use it (because the photobucket link is already doing that for me) so not sure if there's anything else I should be remembering to tell you about it.

My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Congratulations on the twins!! I have only had 2 sets of twins in my game (I never use the potion to increase the chances as I like singletons) the first time it was fine as the couple already had 4 kids so 2 more was fine, the older ones were all children and teens so no biggie.

The second set really miffed me as I had a whole story in my head and the entire story revolved around Summer giving birth to a daughter, a single daughter as it would be her only child before Summer's untimely demise. I needed her to have her daughter, divorce Simon-her husband, start dating another Sim, have a son with him then die. Summer's boyfriend starts taking care of his son and Summer's daughter, then stuff happens as the daughter ages up....it is a really warped senario that I have played through once and loved. But Summer and Simon shocked me with twin girls Sasha and Sophie so my evil plans were ruined and I wound up just playing with that family for a long time, they even had a son later on, a cute little vampire kiddo named Seth (no not my Seth now). Their family was my all time favorite for a long time but I couldn't for the life of me save the family to my library. I had a copy of Simon and Summer but not the kids, still do and they go into every one of my new games. :) . I'm actually very glad she had twins, fouling up my plans as they might have been a throw away family (except Simon, my all time favorite vampire and his daughter as she would have been the main character).

Wow, that turned into quite the post....sorry. ;)

Haha, no need to be sorry, especially not with me. Not long ago, I seemed not to be able to post anything that didn't look like a couple chapters of War and Peace. Fortunately (for everyone), I seem to have gotten over it.

Sometimes it's fun if the game sends you in another direction from your plans. At least it is for me because I tend to be a big bore when left to my own devices. :p I think there's more than just a random chance of twins going on in the programming sometimes, though. I had a nursey with one crib, no extra space, decorated in blue . . . and the game throws me twin girls. See what I mean? (They still have blue :p just two cribs and a bigger room now.)

My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    I got hit with twins in another game just the other day - no trying for them either. Sigh. It's great to get them when you want them but... sometimes it's a bit much! Still, our poor simmies carry on. It's fun, at least I think so, to deal with the random things the game throws at you. Had a perfect story going? HAHAHAHAHA Not anymore!! lol This is why I stopped planning out stories - I start going in a particular direction and then just kind of let the sims decide.

@dx1965 - would love do see what you do with the challenge. When you upload your photos to photobucket or flickr or whatever image hosting platform you are using, the sites usually give you a choice of which kind of link to use. I usually use the BBCode link - this way I don't need to add anything to the link to make the pictures appear properly - actually, I have to edit the link because it gives my flickr username under the picture - and since it's my actual name, not a sims-related name - that's a forum no-no - I take it out - so just be aware. If you have any trouble, just let us know and we'll see if we can't help you out.
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    I agree, you'll want to use the BBCode link for the forums. That feature is such a cheat, I just love it.

@Surreal I'm the same way in that I pretty much let my Sims decide the direction we're going to take. It's more fun to have some spontaneity than plan everything out. I especially enjoy when they're children letting them try different activities they seem to be interested in, like one might decide they want to try writing and another decide they want a bake sale stand. Sometimes the one that tried writing gives up on that and tries something else. I had the funniest thing happen with my Derleth family. The oldest daughter, the little couch potato, wanted to learn to write when she was just little. Apparently it wasn't all she thought it would be so she decided to try painting. One day she was out with her mom and I had her catch a little animal. Boom, that was it! All of a sudden she started rolling wants to catch little animals more than anything else. Almost as soon as she hit teen she rolled up the LTW for collecting them so I let her keep that LTW. Before she hit adulthood she had fulfilled it. One of her younger sisters was one who wanted a bake sale table and she'd bake goodies to sell in the park over the weekend. It took her a lot longer than her sister to decide what she wanted to do with her life but finally she did. Her life's mission? Learn all the recipes. And this is one of those instances that put a kink into my well-thought plans because I was hoping she'd decide to be a Celebrity Chef or something and I could move her out and she could probably achieve that on her own. But no, now I'll need to keep her in the family home to help her with that. One of the things I do love about TS3 is how the things Sims have done over their lives does influence their life goals.

And, more on topic for this particular thread, at about 10:15 last night I got the last family of Sims I'll not be playing moved into Bellatrix. Maybe I'll be able to start playing today.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
    I've noticed as well that sims have preferences if you don't interfere too much - they'll let you know what they like and don't like. Sometimes it's predictable and other times... not so much - hahahaha. Wish I could run Pets on this PC. Can we say lagggg? Hoping the Christmas fairies are listening!!

Yay!! Can't wait to see what you do, @BSIRegina
    I can't even play Sims right now my stup1d computer is give me a tough time for some reason. I get a black screen with only the cursor arrow after I press the arrow on the loading screen....UGH!!
    Oh no @Charlottesmom - I hope it isn't serious - sending "good vibes" to your computer! :smile:
    Surreal wrote: »
    Oh no @Charlottesmom - I hope it isn't serious - sending "good vibes" to your computer! :smile:

Unfortunatly it was very serious, luckily my computer savvy husband helped out, he didn't want to see me bawling my eyes out after I got my game working again but all my store stuff and all my library Sims, houses, and community stuff was erased from existance! My Favorite Sims disappearing really upset me, I felt like throwing up! Luckily when he got everything working again properly my last town that I was playing was still usable and thus all my favorite Sims were saved, they are all safely tucked in the library again (i really have to learn how to backup files). I still have a bunch of store content to redownload but I will be doing that slowly in the next week or so, barring any issues.

I just wonder what set off my game messing up badly in the first place....
    *Hugs.* I'm glad you're getting it sorted out. I know how much work it is, though, that you have ahead of you. Not fun.

Hopefully you'll have better luck with backups than I tend to. Had my stuff on a thumb drive and my dog ate it. Yes, I'm serious. I'm thinking it needs to be in the cloud next time.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited November 2015
    With TS3 I find it's a good idea to save things in a few different places, just in case. @Charlottesmom - are you uploading your sims and lots and stuff to the TS3 site? If you aren't, you should. That way they are at least in your studio if for some reason your game glitches out and erases them. Now, I know this isn't the perfect solution - we don't know how long EA will continue to maintain that site - but it is one form of back up that while you have it, you should use.

Edit: The easiest way to back up is to go into documents, then EA, then right click on The sims 3, copy it and save it to your desktop or thumb drive or cloud or whatever you prefer. Viola - back up of everything.
    @suzses, My dog (Charlotte) has eaten some strange things in her 11 years but never a thumb drive! :wink:

@Surreal I will look into that any backups are good backups is my new motto!
    @Charlottesmom And here I thought Charlotte was your daughter. LOL My one-year-old naughty pup might not make 11 if he doesn't stop eating that kind of thing!
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    I came by to say that I'm tired and may be quiet for a couple days, but I'll be back. :) Those twins wore me out. Never mind what they're doing to their mama and papa, it's me I'm worried about. :p Also, my last house expansion was frustrating. Nothing was going smoothly (we'll blame that on the twins ruining my concentration), and I'm not sure where I want to go with it next. Think I need a small vacation to clear the cobwebs and get over the twins. The early part of this week will be busy, with cramming all my work into three days, then it's Thanksgiving. We'll be home so you'll probably hear from me on the weekend, if not before.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    No worries @suzses - we'll save your spot. :wink: Take your time and when you're ready, let us know how it's going. And if I don't "see" you before then, Happy Thanksgiving.
    @Charlottesmom And here I thought Charlotte was your daughter. LOL My one-year-old naughty pup might not make 11 if he doesn't stop eating that kind of thing!

Nope all my kiddos are boys, Charlotte is my fuzzy daughter. :smiley:

And now I'm getting error 12...................UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Awwwww... hope you figure it out, @Charlottesmom - but annoying glitches or not, it's time for an update

With as quickly as Nichol is pumping out books, you knew it wouldn't be long. The new addition:
    22936718700_5b20e0f3da_b.jpg

I know she has the all-in-one bathroom, but somehow a house just doesn't seem complete without an actual room... that I forgot to put a light in. Sigh.
    22604070214_04a2dbc8d4_b.jpg

Some more decorating gives her a nice little place to sit and eat until I can expand the kitchen to allow a table and chair:
    23232518985_e6fdb58137_b.jpg

And the full frontal view:
    22838370607_7219bd8720_b.jpg

Apparently dragons weren't enough for dear Nichol and she decided to add to her menagerie (because I just got this the other day from the Store and I *needed* to use it)
    22838374807_068dd43d39_b.jpg

She likes to tease the poor thing - let's hope she doesn't anger him/her/it and become a snack:
    22605424283_18a5a62e20_b.jpg

Nichol got the opportunity to donate 3 books to City Hall. Awwww... look at the halo:
    22604068474_2075f872b4_b.jpg

Virtuous or not, Nichol tracked down her friend Kearney to see if she could take their relationship to the next level (read: she's almost a full adult and it's time for kids). What is it with the beach at night with the sims in this town? She found him at Mol Beach:
    22936708770_24d25cbe84_b.jpg

Kearney wondered what took her so long
    22838367727_96e539ffd5_b.jpg

A rather odd picture, but Kearney broke into a school cheer
    22864547909_305f65b063_b.jpg
    Then he ran to the bathroom and then hailed a cab. These fairies are strange...

Nichol headed home (ostensibly to write another book). She's so excited about her new relationship, she did the school cheer that Kearney just taught her. Awwwwww
    22605417143_b2d0e81897_b.jpg

So many nighttime pictures this time around - will have to try to mix it up a bit.
    I started today and took pictures but I'm too tired right now to upload any. Build/Buy mode are about to drive me totally nuts because after I've been building and decorating for more than just about five minutes everything slows down so badly I keep going back into Live Mode just to get Build/Buy all unstuck again. I'd blame it on all the store content I have but it's almost as bad in my test game that has a very limited amount of content.

I do have to say after playing this for two days either it's way too easy to get money in this game or I just got way lucky. On Day 1 she spent some extra monies on a couple of things and paid her bills. By Day 2 she only had 56 Simoleans to her name. By 6 o'clock that evening she had over 13,000 Simoleans.

When it comes to backing up files I think it's a good idea to get an external hard-drive and keep a back-up there. You can also keep a back-up outside of your game on your main drive. Chances are highly unlikely both of them are going to fail at the same time. It wouldn't hurt to have them on an online server somewhere but it's best to not solely depend on that kind of thing.
  • dx1965dx1965 Posts: 335 Member
    edited November 2015
    dx1965 wrote: »

I hope you will try again :) Would love to see/hear about whatever you do.

I've been using photobucket for my pics, and I just cut and paste the link it gives marked "img" into my post. You just have to have your picture up somewhere online; can't be only on your computer.

There's an icon above where you type in your comments here on the forum that looks like a piece of paper and says "attach image/file" that you can use, too. It puts the img tags on it for you. Haven't been needing to use it (because the photobucket link is already doing that for me) so not sure if there's anything else I should be remembering to tell you about it.

The problem I have is I am really big into building, decorating and bit impatient but I did discover quick way to make simoleons with money cheat but you're going to have wait until my sims book comes out.
    It will be called, "How to make 50,000 simoleons collecting sunshine in a week" by Valor Purple:)
    I wasn't sure if we could do img links via our media page.
    Usually I tend to post stuff through a blog page with art, etc I have done in past.
    Perhaps I will create a DX1965 Sim blog, post my first rainbow sim romance:) lol
    Post edited by dx1965 on
  • MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    Jasper Barrington is the sim I made for this challenege. I think I am going to have to think a little on his backstory, because every sim needs a backstory! I want to use barnacles bay as my world. I hope to introduce him soon and show off a house. Haven't started building yet, got distracted by Dragon Age Inquistion.
    Here are some screenies. I forgot to get one of the house in roof view, apparently.

I already posted a link to Yogi Tea's "self" Yoda Sims way back. I decided to make her a witch because of the Force. I was thinking that would extend her lifespan but apparently I was wrong because it doesn't seem like she has any more days on her life than a normal Sim would. It does, however, drastically affect her motives and I'm not sure whether I like that or not. She can go for days on end with no sleep, apparently. Since I built her house the only time she's been home is to tend her garden and take a shower.

We settled on a 64x64 lot in Bellatrix. Here she is surveying that big piece of property figuring out what to put where. You just don't even want to know the lameness of my thinking yesterday where the finances were concerned. I do know the house cost was very close to 10,000.

I took a lot more pictures than this but these are going to have to do for now since I still need to post some screenshots elsewhere.

Yogi-Tea01_zpsxi8f3mgu.jpg

Close-up of our cute little Yogi Tea. Isn't she adorable?

Yogi-Tea02_zpshgl4b754.jpg

Here is the garden spot:

Yogi-Tea03_zpsu9nhjjsv.jpg

Since I'm not strictly doing 4x4 I wanted to take off as much extra space as I could so I made a recessed entryway. Oh and by the way, the trick to building a one-tile porch is to put the door in before putting in the stairs, otherwise the door won't place.

Yogi-Tea04_zps08yu2lip.jpg

Yogi Tea's favorite color is lime green so I decided her house should be brightly colored. I like purple and cyan with lime green. (That chair really doesn't work like that, either, as in she can't actually use it but it's a good place to keep it out of the way.) Aside from a strip down the middle being beyond the 16 tiles there's one extra tile. I decided to put a fairly useless end table on it just to take up the space.

Yogi-Tea05_zpsvtui1jpe.jpg

Yogi-Tea06_zpsbnvbj6dg.jpg

There's a lovely lot with a community garden in Bellatrix. Per usual I started out the gardening skill via book at the library and after Yogi read a few pages set her off to learn from experience.

Yogi-Tea07_zpsqgjl7w6b.jpg

And later she made a garden out of everything she could plant. This wasn't even all of it but she seems pretty pleased with herself so far.

Yogi-Tea08_zpsr4wvurz1.jpg

Considering how much money she made on her first Monday it's time to expand the house already. I had no idea honey was that valuable and didn't realize the claw machine could have such a large pay-out.