Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

#PurpleDaySims - Dec. 1

CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
What is Purple Day?

While Purple Day is officially held on December 1, we observe it all year long each time we remember our past Sims.

At our PurpleDaySims blog, we're spreading the remembrances throughout the year, with Spotlight Sims and other features. If you've got a special Sim you'd like to have commemorated on Purple Day Sims, please let us know.

See more at the Purple Day website >>

How do we celebrate?

There are so many ways to celebrate Purple Day! Here are just a few:
  • Wear purple!
  • Post the Purple Day logo on your blog, Simblr, or Twitter, and link back here!
  • Write a post on your blog and tag it #PurpleDaySims
  • Tweet memories of Sims and tag them #PurpleDaySims
  • Share photo of Sims!
  • Look through old posts for Sims you’d like to remember.
  • Take a moment to simply remember–in joy–all the feelings and insights and wonderfulness that each of these Sims shared with you.
  • Take a moment of gratitude: we are so fortunate to have computers, the Internet, our friendships, our Sims, EA programmers, developers and designers to create this game we love. We have so much! Vadish!

As you write Purple Days posts, let us know here, and we’ll add links to your stories on the Purple Day website!
Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
Post edited by CathyTea on

Comments

• SilverDaybreakSilverDaybreak Posts: 2,080 Member
    Hi Cathy, Just read Exra D'Amore's story and his name fits him well. Left a comment on his (your) wordpress page.

Hope you're having a great Saturday and there are some new pictures & updates in my thread.

silverdaybreak.wordpress.com

This is my old blog that has many of my Sims 3 stories from the first three years of my playing years before creating my second Facebook page for my Sim stories since then.

https://facebook.com/silvers.simstories

forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/838791/silvers-campfire-stories-formerly-a-sim-campfire#latest

forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/838785/silvers-sim-homes-and-other-creations-new-photos#latest

These are links to my current and past Simming stuff. B)

Silver
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    edited July 2015
    Purple Day is hosting a logo competition!

Help us honor and remember all passed Sims, from Sims 1 through Sims 4, by entering the Purple Day logo competition!

Logos should in some way relate to the message and meaning of Purple Day Sims, through color, wording, Sim-related icons or images (plumbobs, llamas, freezer bunnies, and the like).

Entries will be accepted through September 1, 2015.

See the Purple Day Sims website for complete information.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Help spread the word about Purple Day! Share the logo on your website!

You can grab the logo from the Purple Day website, or just use this image URL: https://purpledaysims.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/purpledaysm.png

Please link the image back to the Purple Day site so that viewers can learn more about it: https://purpledaysims.wordpress.com/

As my own and other legacy writers' legacies are wrapping up, I've been reflecting so much on all these lovely Sims and what we've learned from them and how much we've enjoyed them!

Q: Who are some of the past Sims in your game that you remember with joy and affection?

(Please share your thoughts and stories here!)

• OJennOJenn Posts: 8,429 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

Q: Who are some of the past Sims in your game that you remember with joy and affection?

Lee!

Without a doubt it was Lee. I think I developed such a special bond with him because I played him when he was very young. That doesn't show up in the story too much but he just grew on me. He was the first and only child, to date, that I have had complete all childhood aspirations.

With Memoirs moving into the second generation I really do miss him, he had the most soothing sim voice and he was such a loving parent. Lee is the type of sim that really sets the tone for the legacy I think.
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member

Is "the entire cast of D2D" a valid response? :lol:

If I have to pick one, it's gotta be Lucas. He was such a special character and such a special SIM too. I was (and am!) so attached to him. :heart:

But I loved Mel and Damien too! What special sims! :heart: (and when she eventually is gone in-game, Krystina too!). Okay, see? I told you I'd basically say the whole cast haha.

By the way, I know that much of my affection for these characters comes from the personalities I have projected on to them through my writing and my imagination. But that love I feel for my characters definitely extends to the sims who represent them!

And @OJenn I loved Lee so much :heart: I can see why you were so attached! I'm sure I'm heavily influenced by your wonderful and emotional writing style, but that's not a bad thing ;)
    snvAF3B.png
    @CitizenErased14 @OJenn

I felt so sad at Mel's death--but peaceful, too, because of her attitude. And Evelyn, too! And Lucas! Oh, my! That just shook through the whole family AND all the readers!

Jenn, I'm holding off reading your chapter. I know it's going to be so sad. I really love Lee. <3

@CitizenErased14 @OJenn

I felt so sad at Mel's death--but peaceful, too, because of her attitude. And Evelyn, too! And Lucas! Oh, my! That just shook through the whole family AND all the readers!

Jenn, I'm holding off reading your chapter. I know it's going to be so sad. I really love Lee. <3

The next two are what I call Rememberance/Memorial chapters *hugs* Don't worry Cathy things will pick up in Memoirs soon. Rhea does have the goofball trait afterall :wink:
    OJenn wrote: »
    @CitizenErased14 @OJenn

The next two are what I call Rememberance/Memorial chapters *hugs* Don't worry Cathy things will pick up in Memoirs soon. Rhea does have the goofball trait afterall :wink:

Yes! Goofballs! :)

• NewToTheSimsNewToTheSims Posts: 1,160 Member
    @CathyTea One of the Sims I remember is the Sim I made when I started playing Sims. I hadn't discovered stories yet, or CC, I was a brand new player, and I created a Sim named Alexander Dyrrios. I played out his life and I think I cried when he died, LOL, even though he never had a story written about him, I will always remember him because of his place as the true very first Sim I ever made.
    @CathyTea One of the Sims I remember is the Sim I made when I started playing Sims. I hadn't discovered stories yet, or CC, I was a brand new player, and I created a Sim named Alexander Dyrrios. I played out his life and I think I cried when he died, LOL, even though he never had a story written about him, I will always remember him because of his place as the true very first Sim I ever made.

Oh, this is beautiful, @NewToTheSims!

And this makes me think of the next question for everyone:

When is the first time you cried at losing a Sim?

• UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    edited November 2015

It wasn't a humanoid Sim, but a pet. When ts2: pets came out, I was like...14. IRL, We had just lost the dog we had since before I was born. I wasn't the sensitive person I am today so I didn't cry when it happened because he was 16 and failing and we were moving across the state. So it was logical in my mind that it was meant to happen.
    But anyway, I made my family, included our dogs and cats. When the time came for Grimmy to visit Charger (my dog) I just sat there and cried and cried. Because it clicked that he was part of the family, and it was okay to be upset about a pet's death.

After that, I've tried to have pets for my sims because to me, a life without pets isn't much of a life. But I can never let them die because I love animals too much, even if they're pixel.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~

It wasn't a humanoid Sim, but a pet. When ts2: pets came out, I was like...14. IRL, We had just lost the dog we had since before I was born. I wasn't the sensitive person I am today so I didn't cry when it happened because he was 16 and failing and we were moving across the state. So it was logical in my mind that it was meant to happen.
    But anyway, I made my family, included our dogs and cats. When the time came for Grimmy to visit Charger (my dog) I just sat there and cried and cried. Because it clicked that he was part of the family, and it was okay to be upset about a pet's death.

After that, I've tried to have pets for my sims because to me, a life without pets isn't much of a life. But I can never let them die because I love animals too much, even if they're pixel.

Wow. This is amazing. Can we reprint this story on the Purple Day website?

The reason that we're doing Purple Day (actually) is because one of my young readers read a post I'd written where Sugar Maple talks about mortality after Grim comes for her mom. And this reader, who's 12, and who just lost her dad recently suggested that we have an event to remember our Sims. Later, she wrote on her blog that she was really thinking of her dad, since his birthday was coming up: https://simmerworld.wordpress.com/purple-day-remembrance-of-sims-past/

So, I've been reflecting on how the experience of our Sims' mortality helps us process and heal our own grief. I would love to include this story on the Purple Day site to help others reflect on this, too.

• SummerFallsSummerFalls Posts: 6,413 Member

I've been playing since TS2 but the first time I cried was only in TS4! That's when I lost Orion, his first 'almost' death was hilarious but when he actually died, it was just painful!
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
    Origin ID: SummerFalls
    House: Ravenclaw/Wampus - Wand: Alder wood with Unicorn hair core 10 ¾" and Slightly Springy flexibility - Patronus: Neblung Cat
    | Simblr | Youtube | I love creating sims! |
  • UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    @CathyTea yeah, go ahead, I don't mind...I'm all for helping people, so if you think it'll help. I had no idea how Purple Day really started, I knew it was around Shug's generation...but no idea it was because of a young reader. Now I love Purple Day even more.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~

I've been playing since TS2 but the first time I cried was only in TS4! That's when I lost Orion, his first 'almost' death was hilarious but when he actually died, it was just painful!

Oh, hugs, Joel! I didn't realize you cried when Orion died. I did, too! :)

edited November 2015
    @CathyTea yeah, go ahead, I don't mind...I'm all for helping people, so if you think it'll help. I had no idea how Purple Day really started, I knew it was around Shug's generation...but no idea it was because of a young reader. Now I love Purple Day even more.

Yes! It's all her idea, her suggestion! That's why it's so precious. She's simply awesome.

EDIT: And thanks for letting me include the story! It will be perfect for this new page I want to add! :)<3

• Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    This would've been Rosalynn's death. Technically my first ever sim-death that I had witnessed was Cassandra Goth's, but I didn't have the connection with her that I had with Rosalynn. The situation was actually really interesting- she was dying of old age in the kitchen (where she had been making garlic noodles), but at the exact same time Henry David was upstairs proposing to Hailey, so neither of them actually got to witness her death. My first reaction was that my game was going to crash because two major events were happening at once (like when I tried to take Annabeth into CAS as a child, but Rosalynnand Alexander had also been queued up to do things at the same time, so the game crashed), but since they were major events I couldn't save the game. I paused the game, texted my friend to ask her which event I should watch, and she replied that I should watch Rosalynn's death because it would be the last time that I would see her in non-ghost form. I took a couple quick pictures of Henry David and Hailey, then went back down to the kitchen to watch the death. I was really anxious that Henry David's proposal would be rejected until the notification came up that they were now engaged, and then it hit me: their wedding would be the first party where Rosalynn wasn't the mixologist. That was when I started crying.

Pegasus143 wrote: »
    This would've been Rosalynn's death. Technically my first ever sim-death that I had witnessed was Cassandra Goth's, but I didn't have the connection with her that I had with Rosalynn. The situation was actually really interesting- she was dying of old age in the kitchen (where she had been making garlic noodles), but at the exact same time Henry David was upstairs proposing to Hailey, so neither of them actually got to witness her death. My first reaction was that my game was going to crash because two major events were happening at once (like when I tried to take Annabeth into CAS as a child, but Rosalynnand Alexander had also been queued up to do things at the same time, so the game crashed), but since they were major events I couldn't save the game. I paused the game, texted my friend to ask her which event I should watch, and she replied that I should watch Rosalynn's death because it would be the last time that I would see her in non-ghost form. I took a couple quick pictures of Henry David and Hailey, then went back down to the kitchen to watch the death. I was really anxious that Henry David's proposal would be rejected until the notification came up that they were now engaged, and then it hit me: their wedding would be the first party where Rosalynn wasn't the mixologist. That was when I started crying.

That's a really touching story.

edited November 2015
    I actually cried when I put together the pictures for my wordless chapter for Memoirs. The one where Krysti paints a portrait of Lee, I was listening to the song that I have in the post while I wrote it. And as I was getting the pictures together I would thing back to each of those moments and it just made me sad to think that he was gone.

A Stroke of Love was the chapter title.
    I actually cried when I put together the pictures for my wordless chapter for Memoirs. The one where Krysti paints a portrait of Lee, I was listening to the song that I have in the post while I wrote it. And as I was getting the pictures together I would thing back to each of those moments and it just made me sad to think that he was gone.

I'd like to link to this chapter from the Memorials page on the Purple Day website.

• thesealofthesimsthesealofthesims Posts: 722 Member

Well, it's actually hard to get me to cry, so I never actually cried at losing a Sim, but when I lost one of my first Sims, Violet Daniels, it caught me by surprise, because I wasn't expecting it so soon. I was pretty sad to lose her because I put so much into making her. I was more shocked than anything.

I'd like to link to this chapter from the Memorials page on the Purple Day website.

Go for it @CathyTea it started as a way for me to actually follow the legacy rules and turned into something greater than that, if that makes sense.
  • BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    I didn't cry when my Lola died but I was so heartbroken. I knew it was coming so I didn't play for a while and after it happened I haven't played since the episode I did of Simone mourning.

Lola's death was a bit of a hilarious disaster cuz she died three times!!! So she got some extra chances that I was grateful for.