Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The 4x4 Challenge for Sims 3

Comments

• SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    Bunnies! The rat is kinda cute too. :wink:

Wait... are you saying if I have uploaded screenshots, and then go into my sims folders and delete screenshots, it will delete them from my online account?
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Bunnies! The rat is kinda cute too. :wink:

Wait... are you saying if I have uploaded screenshots, and then go into my sims folders and delete screenshots, it will delete them from my online account?

It looked like they disappeared from my posts, but now they are back so I have no idea what I did. Computers and I are a bad mix at times. :(
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    @Charlottesmom I keep Sims and lots I'm not currently using in my game in sub-folders in their respective folders. That way I can keep the content but since the game doesn't read sub-folders not have it clogging up my game if I don't want it right then. The same goes for screenshots--after I get about so many I tuck them away for safe keeping until I want to use them. I don't think any of those have to do with Error 12, though, but it does help decrease load times.

I might be repeating myself here, can't remember for sure, but from what I can tell Error 12 ends up happening when a town save gets too full of stuff, a lot of it stuff the save no longer even needs. That's why so many people use Save-as because they get a cleaner fresh save that way.

My problem with Photobucket was due to deleting screenshots, I thought getting rid of some of them would also help with error 12, all it did was mess up Photobucket. I started up a new account and everything is fine now. Except of course with the photos that no longer show up in my posts. :(

There's no correlation between images on your computer and copies of said images in your PhotoBucket account besides the fact you originally uploaded said images to PhotoBucket. Once that's done, what's on PhotoBucket is just a copy of what's on your hard-drive. You probably just ran into a glitch on PB at the same time you got the Error 12.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
    @Charlottesmom I keep Sims and lots I'm not currently using in my game in sub-folders in their respective folders. That way I can keep the content but since the game doesn't read sub-folders not have it clogging up my game if I don't want it right then. The same goes for screenshots--after I get about so many I tuck them away for safe keeping until I want to use them. I don't think any of those have to do with Error 12, though, but it does help decrease load times.

I might be repeating myself here, can't remember for sure, but from what I can tell Error 12 ends up happening when a town save gets too full of stuff, a lot of it stuff the save no longer even needs. That's why so many people use Save-as because they get a cleaner fresh save that way.

My problem with Photobucket was due to deleting screenshots, I thought getting rid of some of them would also help with error 12, all it did was mess up Photobucket. I started up a new account and everything is fine now. Except of course with the photos that no longer show up in my posts. :(

There's no correlation between images on your computer and copies of said images in your PhotoBucket account besides the fact you originally uploaded said images to PhotoBucket. Once that's done, what's on PhotoBucket is just a copy of what's on your hard-drive. You probably just ran into a glitch on PB at the same time you got the Error 12.

Yup, I am beginning to thing Photobucket is more glitchy than I thought, it keeps flubbing up my pictures! I took about 8 screenshots that refuse to download. :(
    @Charlottesmom I've never run into problems with PB and I've been using it since, well by now it's been so long I've forgotten how many years but it was fairly new when I started there. You have me wondering, though, are you resizing your images before you upload them or letting the site do it for you? I always do that before I upload.
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    I've been using photobucket for a very long time, too, and it's usually just fine for me. I did seem to have trouble with things I linked showing up in the past couple days, but maybe it was me (you know, someone caused me to have a lack of sleep by creating an irresistible challenge ;) ). I see it tells me editing stuff might not work right if I have adblock enabled, which I do, but I don't have issues with that (so far as I can tell).
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    How are you resizing them prior to upload?

OK, so I got started on a new save.
    22812151300_be85f46f52_b.jpg

I took a page out of @suzses book and decided to play in Dragon Valley - haven't played that world since it came out - makes it more of a challenge as I don't remember where anything is other than the dragon egg in that one tavern place. To be more in keeping with the world, Nichol has embraced her inner ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ
    23118326062_01c4d81eca_b.jpg

Did a porch this time - had to make it 2 squares deep because it wouldn't let me just do 1, but I'm not keeping anything on it so don't think it matters. If I decide to use it as space, I'll add it to my next expansion.
    22714072508_7552e4589e_b.jpg
    That's really cute @Surreal. I had thought about doing ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ, too, but when I saw you were, I decided to try to be more original. Decided on sort of once-upon-a-time that never was. Perhaps we'll see each other around DV. ;) Oh, I just discovered dragons. I mean, I knew they were in there somewhere, but I've never actually encountered one before. Found a green egg and a black one and haven't been to the tavern yet. So, now that Marshall stole the green one from his girlfriend's parents house, I guess we have a pet. I see their powers can be kind of cheaty, so trying to limit what I do to just feeding/playing once a day and then back in the backpack, poor thing.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    I use Paint Shop Pro but there are free programs too like Gimp and Paint.net. I just stuck with PSP because I started using it way back in the early 0ts and got used to it so I've just stuck with it over the years. I figured since it was never horribly expensive (have no idea now, haven't upgraded it in years) I'd rather spend money on an upgrade than try to have to learn a new graphic editor.
    edited November 2015
    Dragon "breeding" is a REALLY good way to make money. 1000 for every unnamed dragon you sell.

I didn't know you can breed dragons! How does one go about doing that?

Edited to add: It's 2 AM *again.* This is going to kill me. LOL Marshall has his second 4x4 and I think his fiancรฉ is going to be moving in.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited November 2015
    suzses wrote: ยป
    Dragon "breeding" is a REALLY good way to make money. 1000 for every unnamed dragon you sell.

Edited to add: It's 2 AM *again.* This is going to kill me. LOL Marshall has his second 4x4 and I think his fiancรฉ is going to be moving in.

Usually when I have a question like how to breed dragons I do an internet search for it and almost every time I find a guide on Carl's with the info I need. I like that Duckduckgo search engine since it doesn't track me in my travels.

And here it is.

Oh, and make sure you're browsing this stuff with plenty of protection. I trust Carl's site but not necessarily some of the off-site scripts that run on it.
    Post edited by BSIRegina on
    suzses wrote: ยป

Usually when I have a question like how to breed dragons I do an internet search for it and almost every time I find a guide on Carl's with the info I need. I like that Duckduckgo search engine since it doesn't track me in my travels.

And here it is.

Oh, and make sure you're browsing this stuff with plenty of protection. I trust Carl's site but not necessarily some of the off-site scripts that run on it.

I love Carl's guides I learn tons from them. I have had dragons before but never did breed them, actually didn't know you could.

About resizing pictures, I don't resize, I can't find any information about picture size on this site and have asked several times in my posts so I just figured there was no size requirements and post them as is.

Glad you guys are still enjoying my challenge! The new one is driving me batty, I think the rules may be too confusing. :(
    @BSIRegina Thanks for that. Yeah, I'm no stranger to searching. It was just 2 AM, I was excited, and like to make conversation. LOL Although, I also don't want to derail Charlottesmom's thread too much.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited November 2015
    Oh no... @suzses - you could have gone ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ! I don't mind at all - it's always fun to see the interpretation by different people of the same concept. I bet your gypsys would have been totally different from mine and that would have been just fine. :smile: We could upload each other's families and create a ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ community! lol

I did some checking and am pretty sure you cannot actually breed dragons - you could rp it, though. Not a bad idea, actually... whenever you encounter an egg in the wild, you could rp it as belonging to *your* dragons and go from there. Hmmm....

Am enjoying Dragon Valley - considering how much of the land is flat and routable, this world is HUGE... don't think I remembered that from playing it when it first came out. And seeing all the different colors of hair and skin is almost like playing a world full of Berry sims. :smile:

Edit to add: @Charlottesmom - if you need help with the new challenge, let me know. Apparently it's challenge month in my house. :smile:
    Oh no... @suzses - you could have gone ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ! I don't mind at all - it's always fun to see the interpretation by different people of the same concept. I bet your gypsys would have been totally different from mine and that would have been just fine. :smile: We could upload each other's families and create a ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ community! lol

I did some checking and am pretty sure you cannot actually breed dragons - you could rp it, though. Not a bad idea, actually... whenever you encounter an egg in the wild, you could rp it as belonging to *your* dragons and go from there. Hmmm....

Am enjoying Dragon Valley - considering how much of the land is flat and routable, this world is HUGE... don't think I remembered that from playing it when it first came out. And seeing all the different colors of hair and skin is almost like playing a world full of Berry sims. :smile:

Edit to add: @Charlottesmom - if you need help with the new challenge, let me know. Apparently it's challenge month in my house. :smile:

@Surreal Thanks for the help offer I might just take you up on that! I did post another one I had written up form months back, it is an extension of the Dice challenge, I did the CAS spins but also added more daily spins, I love playing it. But did spin Deathwish once and was mad at myself for putting it in there as I had to kill off one of my favorite Sims!

I like Dragon Valley too but have been sticking close by Sunset lately testing out my annoying challenge.
    edited November 2015

@Surreal Thanks for the help offer I might just take you up on that! I did post another Challenge I had written up from months back, it is an extension of the Dice challenge, I did the CAS spins but also added more daily spins, I love playing it. But did spin Deathwish once and was mad at myself for putting it in there as I had to kill off one of my favorite Sims!

I like Dragon Valley too but have been sticking close by Sunset lately testing out my annoying challenge.

oops! meant to edit not quote....
    edited November 2015
    Started a new 4x4 with Shane my formerly gay guy whom I adore. His house is not very colorful but he seems to like it so far. ;)
    Screenshot-274_zpsvikp8pfo.jpg
    Screenshot-276_zps7zbpychk.jpg
    @Charlottesmom I don't think there's a size limit here. I resize for a number of reasons, one of which is because it makes a lot faster upload times but also because I know there are still a lot of people out there who don't have the fastest internet connection so don't want them to have to wait too long for the images to load. Also, we have people reading the forums on mobile devices with data caps so smaller images help with that too.

I'm looking very forward to starting this 4x4 challenge. I almost have the Sims I'm going to be putting in that town dressed and binned. I forgot just how long it can take with CASt to dress them up properly. I got thirteen of them done yesterday but I could see in some of their outfits my creativity was waning. It always takes me a little extra time since I like to make sure to copy their original .sim file to someplace safe then copy the finished .sim file to someplace else before I delete the ones in the game.

@Suzses that's perfectly understandable. At two in the morning practically anything goes, right? :lol:
    Still having fun with this challenge. Decided not to be in such a hurry with expansion and marriage and all that. She's still in the original 4x4 space, no current love interests, but she *has* discovered dragons. Sigh. I think the dragons are just as popular as the sprinklers.
    22730996317_6887b5a9a8_b.jpg

I've had her writing books but she HATES it - lol - too bad, little simmie! She enjoys fishing though.
    22730956027_99c93553e0_b.jpg
    (yes, I know that's a BB outfit, but there isn't a good time-period appropriate outfit for athletic, imo, and this was fairly close, so... I figure so long as there have been boats, there have been pirates which makes the outfit work, so there!)
    Still having fun with this challenge. Decided not to be in such a hurry with expansion and marriage and all that. She's still in the original 4x4 space, no current love interests, but she *has* discovered dragons. Sigh. I think the dragons are just as popular as the sprinklers.
    22730996317_6887b5a9a8_b.jpg

I've had her writing books but she HATES it - lol - too bad, little simmie! She enjoys fishing though.
    22730956027_99c93553e0_b.jpg
    (yes, I know that's a BB outfit, but there isn't a good time-period appropriate outfit for athletic, imo, and this was fairly close, so... I figure so long as there have been boats, there have been pirates which makes the outfit work, so there!)

I had Connor hatch out one of the dragon eggs but all he wanted to do was play with the darn thing so I eventually deleted it, is was a cute little bugger (forgot what I named him/her). He had one of the cute creatures from Into The Future (can't remember what they are called) but he ignored it unless I directed him to play with it.

I just got Barnacle Bay the other day, I like it but the lots are pretty small, I like big lots like in Riverview, though if I'm doing a 4x4 I can get away with small lots and build UP! ;)
    I had Connor hatch out one of the dragon eggs but all he wanted to do was play with the darn thing so I eventually deleted it, is was a cute little bugger (forgot what I named him/her). He had one of the cute creatures from Into The Future (can't remember what they are called) but he ignored it unless I directed him to play with it.

I just got Barnacle Bay the other day, I like it but the lots are pretty small, I like big lots like in Riverview, though if I'm doing a 4x4 I can get away with small lots and build UP! ;)

Eh... I don't worry about it too much - if I want her doing something else, then she can put the silly dragon away. She has two now... don't remember just now what I named the black one, but the green one is H.R. Pufn'stuff.

I like Barnacle Bay but I've only played in it a couple of times. My default play game is either Sunset Valley or Moonlight Falls - really need to branch out a bit! lol
    I've had Barnacle Bay forever but have never played in it. It was a funny thing how I ended up with it. I just happened to be looking on Amazon and someone had a card for it they were selling for $6. Score! Then the other day I took a serious look at it as a potential home for my very first TS3 family and realized it isn't that bad at all. It has some large lots (they need a 60x60 unless I want to rebuild their house), is fairly well laid out and it seemed like a pretty good amount of space to add things from the expansion packs. I'm sure I'll have to add some smallish lots here and there and will probably move some of the houses and their Sims from the middle of town but it should work out pretty well.

Anywho, I just fixed one poor little Simmie I downloaded the other day. These being "alien" Sims and all they have some pretty outlandish features. This poor gal looked like someone had made her nose out of putty and just stuck it to her face and didn't smooth down the edges.
    There was some kind of deal to get BB - don't remember the particulars of it now but it included everything.. was it free? don't know, but I picked it up then - it's actually laid out pretty well - didn't have any problems with it the couple of times I played in it. Darn. Now I have to fire up BB! lol
    edited November 2015
    OK, so update time. I like the buffs you get from the dragons but for the love of God... must they play with them constantly? lol
    23132066796_815f454950_b.jpg

Our girl works hard at writing, even if it isn't what she'd rather be doing. I've had her writing sports books since they are the higher earner with the lowest number of pages = less time to write a book.
    22730953977_400036fc00_b.jpg

She's also spent some time getting to know the townsfolk
    22757148149_3a79cee165_b.jpg
    Although I don't understand why everyone was socializing in the bushes

Managed to catch a protest at City Hall
    23158170025_d1d1e15537_b.jpg

And finally, first expansion! I decided rather than a 4x4 expansion (16 squares altogether), I would do 8 tiles to the side and 8 tiles to the back, giving me a square room
    22862378030_67fae9f0c1_b.jpg

And the decorating
    22862376650_ff95ca3c9e_b.jpg
    22862375220_f7a0bb6f96_b.jpg
    23132061306_871334f61c_b.jpg

And from the outside
    22790183099_7c4307bcdb_b.jpg

Yeah, that roofing is awful but since I count myself lucky to get a roof that actually covers all tiles, it'll have to do. :wink: I added a few more windows, she has a proper kitchen now (well... kinda - I guess I mean she has a stove and an empty counter) and a bunch of decorating stuff to use up that 10,000. She used the quilt off of her old bed to recover a beat up chair for her "office" area. I also included her first witchy component - the voodoo doll - which she will eventually become a student of (she's a ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ, what did you expect?)

Waiting to see pictures, people!! lol
    Didn't play with Shane too much today, he did get a job in law inforcement (snitch) just for a few days. I want him to be a gatherer eventually and may turn him into a fairy at some point can't decide....I actually think he may be the first Sim I want to sit down a write up a bio on, give him a back story so to speak.

Waiting patiently for breakfast
    Screenshot-280_zpsjztdvdxp.jpg

Yummy!Screenshot-282_zps9n2sgnkv.jpg