Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do we determine Maxis Faves?

Comments

• PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    edited November 2015
    I like this and the way you guys have presented it :) It feels good to know that you guys are checking creations
    before adding them to your tab. I only have one question. Many of us has seen, more than once, reuploaded works
    ending up on the Maxis tab. Is this just a case of not paying enough attention to the original by field or do
    you somehow compare the original work with the reuploaded work and then decide? :)

Edit: Just to clarify. I do know the Original By tag is something you guys have been working on to
    make sure it really sticks. So my question was mostly regarding works with a visible Original By tag.
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,903 Member
    Why was the Moo cheat added if it was going to have so many restrictions on it! I would have never thought that you couldn't get a Fav' because a game issued cheat was in place!! :( This makes me sad!:(
  • Ginzu19Ginzu19 Posts: 239 Member
    Thanks for answering! @SimGuruDrake I just have one more question, actually the same than @BreeMiles

Why bothering on giving us MOO if you guys kind of "forbid" it (or at least discourage its use)? the same thing about resized objetcs. I think almost all my lots have them, cause I hate cars not being included in the game, so for a more realistic touch I like to add garages and car entrances, and they look rather empty without a car on them. And they really don't neglect the game play at all! Also when doing landscaping, I think almost all of the creators tend to use MOO, to gave a better and more realistic look to our builds.

It's rather sad, especially when I, and a lot of other creators, spend a lot of time testing our own creations to ensure they are fully playable despite our use of MOO and the resized objetcs :'(
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    @BreeMiles and @Ginzu19 @SimGuruDrake can clarify, but I don't think that using MOO is necessarily the kiss of death here. What she said specifically is that the team places lots with MOO turned off. In many cases, MOO'd lots still place just fine with MOO off; it's something I usually check with my own lots.

She also mentioned that they check for flickering. As we all know, when we combine objects using MOO, there indeed can be flickering, but it can also often be prevented (elevate the height of one object a touch above the other, for instance). I think it's a reasonable objection to favoriting a lot, since the flickering might cause visual issues for some downloaders, and it may also cause people to think that the game is bugged or that they have some kind of problem with their graphics card.

Now, as for the resized objects, I do think we need some clarification there. I could swear we've seen lots of Maxis faves in the past that included resized objects. Pretty sure that there were some in my own fave'd lots too. Maybe they are looking for resized objects that cause specific routing issues or block lot visuals in the gallery images. I hope it's not simply a check of if there are any resized objects at all, the lot fails to curate...
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    @BreeMiles and @Ginzu19 @SimGuruDrake can clarify, but I don't think that using MOO is necessarily the kiss of death here. What she said specifically is that the team places lots with MOO turned off. In many cases, MOO'd lots still place just fine with MOO off; it's something I usually check with my own lots.

She also mentioned that they check for flickering. As we all know, when we combine objects using MOO, there indeed can be flickering, but it can also often be prevented (elevate the height of one object a touch above the other, for instance). I think it's a reasonable objection to favoriting a lot, since the flickering might cause visual issues for some downloaders, and it may also cause people to think that the game is bugged or that they have some kind of problem with their graphics card.

Now, as for the resized objects, I do think we need some clarification there. I could swear we've seen lots of Maxis faves in the past that included resized objects. Pretty sure that there were some in my own fave'd lots too. Maybe they are looking for resized objects that cause specific routing issues or block lot visuals in the gallery images. I hope it's not simply a check of if there are any resized objects at all, the lot fails to curate...

To further clarify: When we test we do not enable MOO so we can come from a normal user experience. Not every person who plays The Sims 4 is aware of the MOO cheat or how to implement it so we try to make sure that if they download something that does use MOO that it is the best experience possible for them. BryonyRae has it correct with flickering, now we do make exceptions on occasion: For instance if the flickering could be seen as a really cool cosmetic addition then we might let it pass. As for resized objects I don't recall ever saying we forbid it? We've even curated plenty of lots that use MOO and resize objects. We just like to make sure that when things are placed from the gallery into a lot that they are where you intended them to be.
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • AIRIS6962AIRIS6962 Posts: 5,611 Member
    I suppose that those criteria are new from now, because there are tons of rooms and lots faved by Maxis which have intensive mooing and/or without a description.
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,903 Member

To further clarify: When we test we do not enable MOO so we can come from a normal user experience. Not every person who plays The Sims 4 is aware of the MOO cheat or how to implement it so we try to make sure that if they download something that does use MOO that it is the best experience possible for them. BryonyRae has it correct with flickering, now we do make exceptions on occasion: For instance if the flickering could be seen as a really cool cosmetic addition then we might let it pass. As for resized objects I don't recall ever saying we forbid it? We've even curated plenty of lots that use MOO and resize objects. We just like to make sure that when things are placed from the gallery into a lot that they are where you intended them to be.

Thanks for the INFO! I feel better about it now.......
  • SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    AIRIS6962 wrote: »
    I suppose that those criteria are new from now, because there are tons of rooms and lots faved by Maxis which have intensive mooing and/or without a description.

Responded to this above. We do not exclude lots that use MOO we simply do not ENABLE MOO when we are testing things so we can come from a normal user experience for anyone who doesn't know what MOO is. We also mentioned that a description isn't necessary we just think it's a nice addition.
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    Ginzu19 wrote: »
    Thanks for answering! @SimGuruDrake I just have one more question, actually the same than @BreeMiles

Why bothering on giving us MOO if you guys kind of "forbid" it (or at least discourage its use)? the same thing about resized objetcs. I think almost all my lots have them, cause I hate cars not being included in the game, so for a more realistic touch I like to add garages and car entrances, and they look rather empty without a car on them. And they really don't neglect the game play at all! Also when doing landscaping, I think almost all of the creators tend to use MOO, to gave a better and more realistic look to our builds.

It's rather sad, especially when I, and a lot of other creators, spend a lot of time testing our own creations to ensure they are fully playable despite our use of MOO and the resized objetcs :'(

I don't download the curated OR any stuff from the gallery much but I do upload some- I think the guidelines presented here are just that and they aren't held to by a strict letter of the law. One of the few lots I did download as curated had flickering (so it used MOO) and the "pool" which was being used as landscape water was not tiled- so it wasn't perfect (I didn't care- still a great design) and therefore there's going to be exceptions. Especially on MOO (AND SIM KNOWS RESIZING which I've seen numerous times curated), cause most of the landscaping I see utilizes it AND MOO causes few problems, even during lot placement and I don't think the Guru meant it was an automatic kill, just something they look at for execution.

I know a lot of builders get frustrated, I'm one of them, with the rapid uploading of new lots that pushes whatever you've just uploaded several pages into oblivion within five minutes- happens ALL THE TIME- but I do think things are being done the best they can and that there's little that can be done to make it better with the HUGE humber of people creating and uploading. Just make sure that you are building for you first and others second and you'll be happier in the end.
    Thanks for answer, @SimGuruDrake. What you say is reasonable, I build to play. I like playable creations, of course.
  • MarkHarris17MarkHarris17 Posts: 537 Member
    I just wanted to add in here nothing bothers me more then when I download a lot and I can't enter a room always play test it when you use MOO. I get that you spend hours on it and want to share,but maybe take the extra 10 minutes to test it. I know I can spend up to 3 to 4 hours on a room and I'm exhausted, but I take 5 minutes just to make sure. Now back to room and sim designing.
    Shelly Mellow Maxis
    Madden Maxis
    Riles Maxis
    Harris Maxis
    Hunger Games Modeling Comp
    [img][/img]ezgif.com-gif-maker_zpsjrmqrvoc.gif
    Last one made by me [my handwriting is bad on computers!]
    Thanks to the talented @Cbear13 for making these!

• LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    @simgurudrake how would one know if they had a maxis fav for me I one with all the comments but their wasn't anything told me

I'm actually curious as well. Is there a way to know your lot/household/room was favourited? I don't check it very regular. And could easily miss it.

Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
    Lebanna wrote: »
    @simgurudrake how would one know if they had a maxis fav for me I one with all the comments but their wasn't anything told me

I'm actually curious as well. Is there a way to know your lot/household/room was favourited? I don't check it very regular. And could easily miss it.

Go to the Gallery ( in the web site ). Select BROWSE and search by your EA ID. Then click "Advanced" and "Only by Maxis". Click SEARCH (in blue color, at the right) . Immediatly will appear all your creations faved by Maxis. If you don´t have any, a message: "No items found".

I hope that helps.
  • YJB19299YJB19299 Posts: 5,801 Member
    Thanks @SimGuruDrake for open this informative thread :) I always wondered which criteria you are using for the Maxis Favs. Now it is clear :)

And now I know what to do :mrgreen: lol xD
    c6fj8ujnodut.png
  • YJB19299YJB19299 Posts: 5,801 Member
    Just a little joke, I think Maxis Favs are a great way to honor the hard work creators put in their sims, and I'm very happy that many of the Builds and Sims I like are faved :)
    c6fj8ujnodut.png
  • islarosexivislarosexiv Posts: 454 Member
    Here's my question does adding # help?

Hashtags help with letting other users find your lot, if it's what they're looking for, i.e., architectural style, themes, etc. Which in turn increases visibility, which can then help increase the odds of getting nominated.
    Gallery: Islaroses
    Build Showcase: Islaroses
    Simblr: islarosesims.tumblr.com
    Sims Mobile: NJUTWNP

kamb1403 wrote: »
    [*]Besides being nominated in the recommendations thread, what other method can creators go about in order to get Maxis’ eye on their lot? Does Maxis look at any of the showcase threads? Is it a good idea to try to reach out on social media (i.e. Twitter and Facebook)?
    • We check out lots that are shared with us on Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr and even our SimGuru’s pass along lots that are shared with them. We do try to keep up with the showcase / challenge threads that are found throughout the forum.

So basically if people don't tweet or share their builds on Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr and they aren't nominated on the popularity thread, then there is no way that they are going to receive a Maxis fav. Yet again, the popular kids get all the glory and the rest just get left in the dark. This is why you have so many people leaving the game.

Now back to building for myself.

It's not a popularity contest. The thing is, even now not many people know about the nomination thread, and those that do, like myself, often nominate a mix of lots (and rooms and sims) they see in their feed (from those they follow) as well as those they may randomly encounter in the gallery. Personally, if I see a build that's well done (I'm always looking to add to my neighborhoods) and plays nicely, I'll nominate it - and I always try to include "new" builders, or those who don't have faves/exposure already in my nominations.

There are so many creations uploaded every day that it's hard for content to be seen in the midst of all of it, and can sometimes simply be a matter of timing. I was an "unknown" builder (and still mostly am, tbh) but I had a handful of lots with high downloads, that never were faved, and at the time I didn't understand why. Almost all of my highest downloads weren't from faves, actually - to the point I assumed they had too much exposure to be favorited. I didn't know about the nominations thread - and I'll admit I felt a bit overlooked in the beginning. But once I started engaging with the community and other creators, and supporting them, I found I got that same encouragement and support in return. Which made me improve, and gave me a greater sense of reward.

I realized it wasn't practical of me to expect that something I uploaded would be immediately seen and recognized, when I wasn't engaging with anyone. I made a showcase thread, participated in building challenges that challenged me to grow as a creator, and I only once or twice shared builds on twitter and tumblr (of which I have minimal followers, and nothing ever came of it). SimsCommunity was kind enough to publish a showcase of mine, and I believe SimsVIP also does showcase posts, highlighting work by the community, periodically -- to be considered for that, just comment a link to your showcase thread, or tweet an image of your build to them.

As with any content created on the internet, I made sure to apply some very basic marketing to actually be seen in the masses of content shared daily - using descriptive hashtags, making sure my images were the best I could manage (high settings), playtesting everything, naming keywords, timing, etc. - as otherwise you won't get the exposure and traction you're looking for.

It all helps, but in the end, a Maxis Fave is nice, and encouraging - sure. But having other creators that support and encourage you is a much more lasting reward - and it doesn't rely on chance. It's as simple as reaching out and providing that encouragement to others first.

BreeMiles wrote: »
    Why was the Moo cheat added if it was going to have so many restrictions on it! I would have never thought that you couldn't get a Fav' because a game issued cheat was in place!! :( This makes me sad!:(

MOO doesn't restrict you from a fave. However, if downloading your lot without MOO makes it load oddly or with everything askew, then it's a problem. If you use MOO to place landscaping (or other items) and placing the lot without MOO doesn't make a mess of everything, you should be fine (I always use MOO on my landscaping, and I test it before sharing - I've had a few faves that used MOO, as have others.)

• rconercone Posts: 407 Member
    I live with #MOO for landscaping and house hold clutter. So I always #MOO 99% time it comes out okay but every once in awhile I have the flower Ivy draping collapses to the ground happened with one of my Fairytale builds Ugh believe it was Obers. It drives me nuts lol sometimes I unlock the earned items to mostly for clutter items but am unsure as to if those download to other players.
    So if you use Moo (for landscaping) you get disqualified period so I can assume I will never get a fave even though my builds are very good.
    Its rather sad honestly and explains the majority of builds faved being rather bland.

IE
    disqulified because I made Ivy crawlers
    10-18-15_12-00-53nbspAM_1.png
    or this one as to get a actually flower garden to look proper you have to use #MOO
    10-25-15_2-34-53nbspAM.png
    10-25-15_2-35-31nbspAM.png

YOu are leaving out a huge number of builds doing this honestly as I do not think I could even do a decent looking build with out using Moo maybe have people make a note at beginning of their gallery of house how to turn on MOO ??? because I would.
    @Scobre I have seen lots faved that had Debugged Trees so they must and one lot I saw had Moo and debug so not at all sure now what qulifacations are really just that I am auto disqualified even though I make great houses
  • MarkHarris17MarkHarris17 Posts: 537 Member
    @rcone They are not completely out as long as you are able to get around and use the objects and access properly than you should be good :)
    Shelly Mellow Maxis
    Madden Maxis
    Riles Maxis
    Harris Maxis
    Hunger Games Modeling Comp
    [img][/img]ezgif.com-gif-maker_zpsjrmqrvoc.gif
    Last one made by me [my handwriting is bad on computers!]
    Thanks to the talented @Cbear13 for making these!

• JoyfulSimsJoyfulSims Posts: 287 Member
    edited November 2015
    What hashtags or @ do I have to use to tweet stuff to the gurus / the sims? I'm fairly new to twitter :)
    @MarkHarris17 The Morgan I know can as I made a family to horse around during the halloween thing I really do not make Sims if you go to my SHowcase thread you will see I am a builder (of which I do in real life though mostly off grid.berm/straw bail/cob type home plans which give me far more freedom. I always treated that Minor in my Degree for years as a Hobby rather then money making but my career went 🐸🐸🐸🐸 up between a auto accident and and the death of people needing Travel agents :( So green freeform architecture is now part of my skills/degree I now use as I said for Green building. Which I wish we could get curved walls as I would build many of my homes on here GOds I would love to make a Hobbit hole :D and yes I have drawn up and sold 2 plans for Hobbit holes lol.
  • kass17kass17 Posts: 92 Member
    edited November 2015
    I don't understand something. I talk about household. I see that recently most of the Maxis fav are really not so good, no story, no hashtags, nothing at all at my own opinion. I don't understand because I see a lot of very awesome creations, and never those are in Maxis fav. I made myself a lot of sims, I take more than half hour to make just one, I try to make no cc since severals weeks, I makeup them, dress them, give them a style, and try to make them very cute, pretty and beautiful, and I have no Maxis fav for anyone of them. The only Maxis fav I have are for only 2 rooms, and I thank Maxis for this. Well, I don't understand, and I say what I have to say.
    Post edited by kass17 on
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top