Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The 4x4 Challenge for Sims 3

Comments

• CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Surreal wrote: »
    Thanks :smile: I figured any sim insane enough to work this challenge would probably have fairly eclectic tastes lol Yes, that first expansion is a biggie! The all in one bathroom was a lifesaver, let me tell you. As to spouse working, that's pretty much what I figured. Sigh. What will I do with him.... not that it much matters - didn't realize when I married him in how old he was. He's set to hit elderly any second now. Are there any rules about children? Not the having of them so much as any profits from skills they work on? Just wondering because I think Lenny is going to have to be Mr. Mom - he can train the kid(s) and cook and clean and repair, etc. Next extension (or the one after) will be a child's room so... need to get that in the works since he's so much older than her. Thought about a young again potion but so far one hasn't shown up at the potion shop, so I guess he's just going to have to be old. Oh well - lol

Go for it and have a baby :) ! I would say if the kids are painting just hang them up (the paintings not the kids ;) ). You are taking this much further than I had tested it out for, I got to marriage and 9 add ons and considered it done. Wish I had known how to do screenshots when I first started writing all this out and testing, it would have been so cool to have a picture story of the ever growing house, it is great that you have the pictures! I am working on a new challenge now but will keep posting to this thread if more questions pop up as you go along plus I want to see your progress! :)
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    Thanks :smile: I figured any sim insane enough to work this challenge would probably have fairly eclectic tastes lol Yes, that first expansion is a biggie! The all in one bathroom was a lifesaver, let me tell you. As to spouse working, that's pretty much what I figured. Sigh. What will I do with him.... not that it much matters - didn't realize when I married him in how old he was. He's set to hit elderly any second now. Are there any rules about children? Not the having of them so much as any profits from skills they work on? Just wondering because I think Lenny is going to have to be Mr. Mom - he can train the kid(s) and cook and clean and repair, etc. Next extension (or the one after) will be a child's room so... need to get that in the works since he's so much older than her. Thought about a young again potion but so far one hasn't shown up at the potion shop, so I guess he's just going to have to be old. Oh well - lol

I love that, any Sim insane enough to do this would be pretty eclectic. That's one of the reasons I haven't started it yet but I've spent considerable time working on the setting. I plan on using Rflong7's Bellatrix world and this Sim, although I will set her to young adult (she's currently adult). I already have her lot picked out but need to do a few things to the world and move in other Sims and turn off immigration.

For your guy who's just shy of elder can you use some life fruit to make him stay younger? You might be able to find some plants around town. If I'm remembering right (it's been a long while since I used them for this) the lower quality fruits don't add as much to their lives as the higher quality ones but they do add some.

I know whenever I start a challenge like this I am always pulled to using a male but there are also advantages to a female starter since if you end up in your position they can still have a family.

I love your house @Surreal and wish I had that all-in-one bathroom object but alas I'll just have to do it the hard way. ;)
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
    It's still doable with a toilet and shower, just a bit more cramped. ;)
    Oh, I know it is, it's just that single-tile item would come in so handy, wouldn't it? As it is my Sim's house will probably be 5x5 but with corners cut off to fit into the architecture of where it will be situated in the world I'm using.
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    Oh and @BSIRegina - that's a really interesting looking sim! I'd love to hear her back story.
    Surreal, can't wait to see the baby! I love the set you are using, I almost got it a couple days ago on the DD.
    @Surreal she comes with a back story already made up by Yogi-tea. I've been working on getting the Sims that will populate the town into families but I can only get about five families done before I have to restart my game. As I've been working on that I've built a small, if cliched, back story for the town.
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    This is tempting me . . . but the rebel in me wants to put an easel outside. :p

Just FYI - I don't own ITF, and it may have an all-in-one bathroom, but the one pictured in Surreal's house is from IP, which I do have.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    suzses wrote: »
    This is tempting me . . . but the rebel in me wants to put an easel outside. :p

Just FYI - I don't own ITF, and it may have an all-in-one bathroom, but the one pictured in Surreal's house is from IP, which I do have.

Oh no you don't miss cheaty pants! Easels need to fit inside the house. ;)
    So, it's entirely your fault, @Charlottesmom , that I stayed up much too late last night. When I get in from work, if I'm conscious, I'll show you what I did. And, you'll never guess what I managed to get in my 4 x 4 house.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    So, it's entirely your fault, @Charlottesmom , that I stayed up much too late last night. When I get in from work, if I'm conscious, I'll show you what I did. And, you'll never guess what I managed to get in my 4 x 4 house.

I can't wait to see! :)
    @Charlottesmom - that's a fun set, isn't it? Loving the whole 🐸🐸🐸🐸 vibe. I don't own all of it, but a very kind simmer is helping me acquire it with the CYS discount next time it's on DD - can't wait!!

@BSIRegina - I hope you'll post pictures once you get it started.

@suzses - we want pictures!! That tiny little space requires serious thinking to get everything placed.
    OK, so Marshall Grey, my new favorite sim (born in game but repeatedly copied and made into about 4 different sims now :p ) has moved into Dragon Valley. He spent a lot of money on a very large lot outside of town and so has very little with which to start out.

Here's his little house . . .

Screenshot-81.jpg

The layout (see there in the corner by the front door!) . . .

Screenshot-82.jpg

A couple non-overhead shots inside his spacious 4x4 abode (one which Marshall decided to get in the middle of) . . .

Screenshot-83.jpg

Screenshot-85.jpg

One question: He has a pond. May I stock it with fish? (They're free.) Was thinking just the . . . what are they called? . . . common fish? Not the rares or anything like that.

My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited November 2015
    OK, so Marshall Grey, my new favorite sim (born in game but repeatedly copied and made into about 4 different sims now :p ) has moved into Dragon Valley. He spent a lot of money on a very large lot outside of town and so has very little with which to start out.

Here's his little house . . .

Screenshot-81.jpg

The layout (see there in the corner by the front door!) . . .

Screenshot-82.jpg

A couple non-overhead shots inside his spacious 4x4 abode (one which Marshall decided to get in the middle of) . . .

Screenshot-83.jpg

Screenshot-85.jpg

One question: He has a pond. May I stock it with fish? (They're free.) Was thinking just the . . . what are they called? . . . common fish? Not the rares or anything like that.

Awesome pictures, you got an easel in there!! I love your house, very pretty! I was working on a new write up for 4x4 last night that includes marriage and kiddos. Will add it to the original write up soon.

I also do the duplicating with Julia, my favorite Sim, she is maxed out on at least 6-7 skills, she is 3 Sims in Sunset right now, Julia (who is always married to Jared Frio) Rebecca (who I will be either deleting or changing her name as I have my simself Becky in this town), and Summer who is married to Simon my favorite Vampire, who is also duplicated (Seth, and Sebastian who are also vampires). I have also duplicated Connor Frio (Nate) and Jared (Brandon). Keept the pictures coming, I love seeing what you guys are doing with this challenge! :)<3

To finally answer your question :), yes stocking a pond (with any type of fish) is fine BUT you have to catch them for your pond, no putting in spawners.

BTW, I had a couple with the last name Gray, Shane and Nathan, they were my 2nd same sex couple (my first was Fiona McIrish and a sim I made up named Rachel). With the guys I had to evict them from town because all my guys were becoming interested in them! The girls have ne effect on the town whatsoever...i want to add Shane back in because he is so funny and super cute!
    Yeah, I was talking spawners. Haven't enjoyed actually stocking with caught fish because I can only seem to have one kind - maybe I don't know what I'm doing? (likely lol) Haven't tried it in a long time.

Your sims sound interesting and fun.

Looking forward to your marriage/kids write-up. Marshall has himself a romantic interest (now that it's winter and he's not gardening/fishing ALL day) and was trying to figure out what to do with her. He sure can't afford to bring her home, not this year. Has only a little under 2k. I haven't really played DV before and have no clue where the spawners are, so things are going slower than usual for me with making money (well, then again, there was the constant gardening/fishing thing - that easel didn't get used much either before Spooky Day!). I know I could get him a job, but (a) usually my sims are richer if they don't have one and (b) I have more fun this way.

Will you be covering pets? Was thinking about a dog but told myself he probably has to fit in the house and that sure won't be happening soon. :D
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    I've been wondering about pets too since I downloaded this adorable little dog that would be so perfect for my Sim who will be doing the challenge.

@suzses good job on getting that easel in there--I can imagine with Seasons winter would be a lot like winter in Harvest Moon--need some indoor activities. It's been a long while since I had a Sim stock a fish pond but I do remember building some big ponds so he could stock one fish type in an area instead of having multiple types in one spot and he had several types in one pond.
    @Charlottesmom - I am so bummed right now!! In doing all the prep work and what not for the other challenge, my 4x4 challenge save has disappeared!!!! I don't know if I deleted it by mistake or what happened. ARRRGGGGGHHHHH. Now I have to start over. NO MORE DELETING SAVES!!! lol There were a couple saves I no longer play and thought I was being organized. Sigh. You'd think I'd learn by now... :headdesk:
    @Surreal is it in your Recycle Bin?

I've a habit of shift-deleting stuff and multiple times I did that when I only wanted to soft delete just in case.
    @Charlottesmom - I am so bummed right now!! In doing all the prep work and what not for the other challenge, my 4x4 challenge save has disappeared!!!! I don't know if I deleted it by mistake or what happened. ARRRGGGGGHHHHH. Now I have to start over. NO MORE DELETING SAVES!!! lol There were a couple saves I no longer play and thought I was being organized. Sigh. You'd think I'd learn by now... :headdesk:

(((HUG))) 🐸🐸🐸🐸!!! I know how you feel! I just got the dreaded Error 12 today, and that means most if not all of my saves go in the potty! I only had 3 saves, and none of them were terribly important. I deleted a bunch of empty houses, community buildings and sims that I no longer have any interest in from my library, that always helps with error 12 plus I deleted about 50 screenshots. I did save the save I'm using for my other challenge that should be posted by Friday....it's even more difficult than the 4x4 in my opinion...it's difficult in different ways.

Stinks that you have to start over! I blow a gasket when stuff like that happens, but I can't stay mad at Sims for long. :)

About pets, if you can fit them comfortably in with all their accessories then go for it. BUT obviously you can't sell anything that they may hunt of find. Pets drive my batty but I do like having a fish tank and a small pet around (usually a rat as I have a pet rat IRL, had 3 but 2 died recently :'( ), when my Sim is a witch as it gives them a positive mood thingie.
    @Charlottesmom I keep Sims and lots I'm not currently using in my game in sub-folders in their respective folders. That way I can keep the content but since the game doesn't read sub-folders not have it clogging up my game if I don't want it right then. The same goes for screenshots--after I get about so many I tuck them away for safe keeping until I want to use them. I don't think any of those have to do with Error 12, though, but it does help decrease load times.

I might be repeating myself here, can't remember for sure, but from what I can tell Error 12 ends up happening when a town save gets too full of stuff, a lot of it stuff the save no longer even needs. That's why so many people use Save-as because they get a cleaner fresh save that way.
    I'll be interested to read your new challenge, @Charlottesmom (as if I need another one!!).

No, @BSIRegina it isn't in my recycle bin - but I was only two expansions in and I still have the original sim. It's no biggie to start it again. Need to start remembering to bin my families... I don't always think to do this. This will allow her to maybe meet a younger sim. That guy turned elder within just a few days. Yes, that would have allowed for a second husband but... I was playing on the Long setting so... yeah, no.
    DANG IT!!! sorry for yelling but something went terribly wrong with my Photobucket pictures this afternoon and they all went el poof o! had to create a new account and now will be testing pictures to see if they are okay.

Snickers my pet rat (that I mentioned above)...
    image.jpg1_zpsuthcvh2b.jpg

and Stewie...if he doesn't cheer you up nothing can! :)<3
    image.jpg3_zps494hhatd.jpg
    I'll be interested to read your new challenge, @Charlottesmom (as if I need another one!!).

No, @BSIRegina it isn't in my recycle bin - but I was only two expansions in and I still have the original sim. It's no biggie to start it again. Need to start remembering to bin my families... I don't always think to do this. This will allow her to maybe meet a younger sim. That guy turned elder within just a few days. Yes, that would have allowed for a second husband but... I was playing on the Long setting so... yeah, no.

Now see, if I lost my town..no biggie, if I lost my favorite Sims...BIGGIE!! I always throw them in the library as soon as I get them set up in a house (throw that in with them too). I really only have about 10 families/Singletons that I would actually cry about if I lost them. Three of my all time favorite Sims are Townies with slight makeovers so they would be easy to replace. I do have screenshots of my CAS Sims incase I ever lose them but recreating them and their personalities to a tee would be impossible. :(

I'm doing a second play through right now with the new challenge, it took forever for me to set up her house for some reason, my brain is jello today! The new challenge has a bunch of rewards for gaining friends and making $, but neither is easy to do. A word of warning, a husband or wife is going to be verrrry difficult to get in the challenge (not impossible but not easy) and pets are a no no, you'll see why. ;)
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    @Charlottesmom I keep Sims and lots I'm not currently using in my game in sub-folders in their respective folders. That way I can keep the content but since the game doesn't read sub-folders not have it clogging up my game if I don't want it right then. The same goes for screenshots--after I get about so many I tuck them away for safe keeping until I want to use them. I don't think any of those have to do with Error 12, though, but it does help decrease load times.

I might be repeating myself here, can't remember for sure, but from what I can tell Error 12 ends up happening when a town save gets too full of stuff, a lot of it stuff the save no longer even needs. That's why so many people use Save-as because they get a cleaner fresh save that way.

My problem with Photobucket was due to deleting screenshots, I thought getting rid of some of them would also help with error 12, all it did was mess up Photobucket. I started up a new account and everything is fine now. Except of course with the photos that no longer show up in my posts. :(