Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone else think the recent update for Sims 3 is proof that Sims 4 is a failure?

I'm being serious here... is EA so desperate for everyone to switch to Sims 4 that they'll do whatever it takes to make Sims 3 unplayable!? That's honestly what I feel like they're attempting to do... while The Sims 3 still plays even after the recent patch, I'm still cringing at the fact that it now requires me to be logged into Origin just to play it. This doesn't even make any sense! The Sims 3 already has its own launcher... WHY does it suddenly need Origin as well? One of the many reasons a lot of people didn't want Sims 4 is because it required Origin!

The Sims 4 received a lot of negative feedback and just didn't end up being the success they thought it would be, so now they're attempting to stop us from playing Sims 3 and "force" us to move onto the next (and worse) installment, "The Sims 4" (a downgraded version of Sims 3, often referred to as "Sims 2.5").

If my Sims 3 game ends up becoming unplayable because of an "update", EA can say GOODBYE to me and my money! I will NOT support them any longer and I certainly will NOT give them money anymore! Making games unplayable is NOT the proper way to get people to play your other games, EA! The Sims 4 is a flop... just get over it and actually try to make it better by adding stuff that made Sims 3 so great! The reason I don't play Sims 4 is because it's terrible compared to Sims 3 and even Sims 2. The Sims 3 is by far my favorite Sims game and if I end up not being able to play it simply because EA is angry because Sims 4 didn't become the cash cow they wanted, I'll be done with The Sims and EA forever! And I honestly hope others will agree.
Favorite Packs
Sims 1: Hot Date
Sims 2: Seasons
Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
Sims 3: Seasons
Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
Sims 4: Seasons
Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg

Comments

• BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    I think they're trying to force players into giving them telemetry so they can figure out what they did wrong with TS4. I also believe based on previous telemetry being used to aid development of TS4, even if they had all the data in the world from players of TS3 they still won't figure it out.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    If an update causes your TS3 to be unplayable, can you not uninstall the update? My system always runs a backup before installing any software, I can revert by evoking the backup/restore point. (Unless it is one of the many forced updates on Origin. If all your TS3 or Digital copies, there may be no hope for it.)
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Shadoza2 wrote: »
    If an update causes your TS3 to be unplayable, can you not uninstall the update? My system always runs a backup before installing any software, I can revert by evoking the backup/restore point. (Unless it is one of the many forced updates on Origin. If all your TS3 or Digital copies, there may be no hope for it.)

I don't know if you can actually safely uninstall an update or not without messing up the game itself... then again, if the update makes the game unplayable, what would a person have to lose either way? Luckily, the recent patch (despite being annoying) hasn't negatively impacted my gaming experience with Sims 3... it still plays the way it did before, but now I need Origin to play it... which is what mostly bothers me. I haven't experience more lag or glitches since installing the patch (thankfully).
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    I think they're trying to force players into giving them telemetry so they can figure out what they did wrong with TS4. I also believe based on previous telemetry being used to aid development of TS4, even if they had all the data in the world from players of TS3 they still won't figure it out.

I suppose that could be a possibility... I certainly hope that's all they're planning to do! I definitely love The Sims 3 and will keep playing it until Sims 4 becomes as good (which isn't likely). Maybe the reason they wanted to connect Sims 3 to origin is for the same reason you suggest... who knows? Either way, as long as Sims 3 can still be played just fine, I don't mind it too much... I just wanna make sure I'll be able to play Sims 3 no matter what! It's my favorite Sims game.
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I'm being serious here... is EA so desperate for everyone to switch to Sims 4 that they'll do whatever it takes to make Sims 3 unplayable!? That's honestly what I feel like they're attempting to do... while The Sims 3 still plays even after the recent patch, I'm still cringing at the fact that it now requires me to be logged into Origin just to play it. This doesn't even make any sense! The Sims 3 already has its own launcher... WHY does it suddenly need Origin as well? One of the many reasons a lot of people didn't want Sims 4 is because it required Origin!

The Sims 4 received a lot of negative feedback and just didn't end up being the success they thought it would be, so now they're attempting to stop us from playing Sims 3 and "force" us to move onto the next (and worse) installment, "The Sims 4" (a downgraded version of Sims 3, often referred to as "Sims 2.5").

If my Sims 3 game ends up becoming unplayable because of an "update", EA can say GOODBYE to me and my money! I will NOT support them any longer and I certainly will NOT give them money anymore! Making games unplayable is NOT the proper way to get people to play your other games, EA! The Sims 4 is a flop... just get over it and actually try to make it better by adding stuff that made Sims 3 so great! The reason I don't play Sims 4 is because it's terrible compared to Sims 3 and even Sims 2. The Sims 3 is by far my favorite Sims game and if I end up not being able to play it simply because EA is angry because Sims 4 didn't become the cash cow they wanted, I'll be done with The Sims and EA forever! And I honestly hope others will agree.
    EA already lost my money. I was actually considering buying Get Together if it ever went on sale. Needless to say, I changed my mind. I will never spend another dime on anything EA makes.

But I don't understand why they think tying Sims 3 to Origin would make players more likely to switch to Sims 4. I ended up uninstalling all my games and am going to reinstall them through disc with my internet disconnected. If that doesn't work, I'll stick with Sims 2. Maybe some players aren't that stubborn. I don't know. But the best way to get me not to do something is to try to force me into it.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Do I think they are trying to stop players from playing TS3? I know they are trying to stop us from playing TS3 as they know that TS4 will not be able to compete. They see the predecessor as a threat so they try and eliminate it but I will not tolerate it, I will just not tolerate this action!

Despite the issues I may have had with TS3 in the past, I will still advocate for it, me and TS3 are like a long married couple, we have had our ups and downs but we got through it, we are lovers, we are fighters, we are warriors!

Speak out, speak up and Sim on!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • DarkGamer7DarkGamer7 Posts: 308 Member
    Considering you need to fully update your game before you can install an EP if you have all the EPS and SPs on Origin like me, this of course is scary news. I havent tried playing yet after the patch.. I need to reinstall everything so I am stuck with the patch sadly
  • bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    You need to get a copy of the 1.67 super patch and save that somewhere.
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    I haven't installed the new patch (yet). I do think it's a good idea to be able to choose which EP's to use in a particular game, but I don't need that at the moment, and I'm much more concerned whether NRAAS Story Progression would still work. However, I don't think it would be in the interest of any company to sabotage their own product in order to sell another product, when they can simply sell both products. I'm sure Sims 3 is still making money for EA (I bought a new expansion pack only recently, and plan to buy another one soon, and judging by this section of the forum, other people are doing the same.)
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    I don't know that I think the latest patch for TS3 is proof that TS4 is a failure -- although I ALREADY think TS4 is a failure -- but I do think it's proof that EA wants to chain everyone and every game to Origin. I won't have Origin on my computer and am so glad I kept all my TS2 and TS3 discs and always play offline!
  • budewarminbudewarmin Posts: 371 Member
    I also don´t know what to think of that they suddenly wanted to update the sims 3. As I heard FPS limiter wont work anymore and that´s one of the major things that scare me. I spend over a thousand euros on a gaming pc and it goes easy over 500 fps without limiter, that will kill my pc for sure.
    I actually do believe they are breaking it so we would switch to the sims 4.
  • GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    BSIRegina wrote: »

I agree with this. I refuse to update my game. Origin is enough of a problem with TS4 let alone letting it royally mess my now beautifully working Ts3. No thanks.
    Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    edited November 2015
    Although I wouldn't put it past EA it makes no logical sence to try and kill a game that is still making money and still has a rather large following to try an get those players to move onto something they simply do not like (TS4). You can't force someone to buy something they simply do not want but, you can miff them beyond belief by taking away something they love and make them steer clear of any future EA products. If EA does in fact try to kill Sims 3 I predict the backlash would be beyond anything they could imagine.

Edited to add, I have personally spent no less that $500.00 (don't tell my husband!) on Sims 3 EPs, and store content, wonder if I could get a refund if they do manage to make my all time favorite game unplayable.
  • laydaywaylaydayway Posts: 259 Member
    i have spent around 250 on the store alone please don't tell my mom
    laydayway wrote: »
    i have spent around 250 on the store alone please don't tell my mom

Your secret is safe with me! ;)
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited November 2015
    It's my opinion that they are not doing it to destroy TS3. They are still selling it and I think it's selling very well.

I also doubt that the main reason is telemetry. Yes, they want to collect that, I guess they think that's the easiest way to figure out what players are doing with their games. I don't think it's a good substitute for actually communicating with customers but they seem glued to it regardless.

I think the main reason they decided to do it was because they want all their games tied to Origin. It gives them more control over their games. That's why they made Origin in the first place. It serves as DRM to prevent pirating and it eliminates the second hand games market, which cut into their profits. It also means they have more control over how long the game 'lives'. Eventually I wouldn't be surprised to see them shutting down games altogether like they do for Mobile games. I don't think that will happen any time soon, though, just what I think they want for the future.

Any problems that occur as a result of this update is just collateral damage IMO, and a lack of concern or knowledge about how it might affect their customers' games. In other words, they don't always consider (or probably care about) unintended consequences to their actions.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    edited November 2015
    I tend to think it’s more about increasing the overall number of Origin users; EA’s Peter Moore likes to mention that figure during interviews. By tying TS3 to Origin with this patch, it is likely that EA is looking to swell its customer base, not necessarily to boost purchases of TS4 specifically, but all their current and future titles in general. And as mentioned previously, it could also be about game telemetry and data collection. I don’t think that TS3 becoming unplayable for some people was a case of deliberate sabotage, although I feel for those that are having issues because of it.

What I do know is that I will not be patching. I will continue to play TS3 offline and bypass my launcher since I bought all the original disk versions. I uninstalled Origin some months ago and purchased the free games I had on it elsewhere. The only game I was concerned with losing was TS2UC, but that is still playable without Origin installed. I am not interested in logging into a client to play Sims games. If not using Origin means not buying newer EA games, so be it.

@PalmArrow – The only NRaas mods that were affected by this patch were the core mods (UntranslatedKey and ErrorTrap) and NC was obviously also broken. StoryProgression and the others are fine. And if you ever decide you don’t want to patch but would still like to choose which EP’s you use for a game, there is the Sim Game Selector over at MTS.

Edit: I didn't see your post till I refreshed, @HappySimmer3, but I agree.
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member

EA already lost my money. I was actually considering buying Get Together if it ever went on sale. Needless to say, I changed my mind. I will never spend another dime on anything EA makes.

But I don't understand why they think tying Sims 3 to Origin would make players more likely to switch to Sims 4. I ended up uninstalling all my games and am going to reinstall them through disc with my internet disconnected. If that doesn't work, I'll stick with Sims 2. Maybe some players aren't that stubborn. I don't know. But the best way to get me not to do something is to try to force me into it.

I admire your fortitude and probably because I'm just as stubborn. Although I have spent money on TS3 in the past while (bought a couple of new expansion packs for my daughter) I made sure I bought them at the cheapest possible price which was less than $12 each. I don't want any more money than necessary going into their pockets.

I don't think they're doing this in an effort to get players to just switch over to TS4 so much as they're could be trying to glean more info and data to try to make TS4 a better game.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    Assuming it's for telemetry - whatever the hell that is - frankly I think it's a fancy word for "we don't know what we're doing," I've got some telemetry for EA - give the widest possible number of choices for any situation and action and you please the widest number of people. Keep your vision. We don't want it. What makes Sims so great, or at least did, is the players' vision, not the company's.
  • RsandaRsanda Posts: 257 Member
    I think people just overreact too much. I understand ranting because of issues, lag etc. but ranting "that" much just because the game is now tied to Origin is overreacting for me. It's not only EA who does that. Almost every game require another client to run, such as Steam, Origin, UPlay etc. This is the future of gaming. You need to understand that. Every game released from now on will be tied to another client. I am even surprised that they waited that long. If I were EA, I would have done the same thing in 2012 with no distinction between CD and Online purchases. And they are at least giving a choice for you to not update.

By the way, I hate running games with a client but that's the future of gaming so we have no choice but to accept. Ranting grants us nothing.
    Not a native English speaker. Sorry for any mistakes
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited November 2015
    It does seem strange they did it now, I thought they had forgotten all about Sims 3. But I stay far away from Origin and didn't do the update. (if they really want to do something for me for Sims 3, release more store stuff or even an EP and see what happens with sales of that EP).
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    bklienhart wrote: »
    You need to get a copy of the 1.67 super patch and save that somewhere.

I strongly recommend this! :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I think the main reason they decided to do it was because they want all their games tied to Origin. It gives them more control over their games. That's why they made Origin in the first place. It serves as DRM to prevent pirating and it eliminates the second hand games market, which cut into their profits. It also means they have more control over how long the game 'lives'. Eventually I wouldn't be surprised to see them shutting down games altogether like they do for Mobile games. I don't think that will happen any time soon, though, just what I think they want for the future.

I doubt EA will shut down the ability to play Sims 3. Computers themselves will eventually do that for them. The new upgrades get too new and things don't work. That will still anger way too many people, unless they wait to the point where average players have all moved to computers that can't support the game anymore.

My guess is, they're going to have an Origin sale over Black Friday and the following Monday and Sims 3 games will be included. and/or they're about to release a complete pack and decided to give Sims 3's complete pack an extra feature over Sims 2's Ultimate Edition.

berginon wrote: »
    I think people just overreact too much. I understand ranting because of issues, lag etc. but ranting "that" much just because the game is now tied to Origin is overreacting for me. It's not only EA who does that. Almost every game require another client to run, such as Steam, Origin, UPlay etc. This is the future of gaming. You need to understand that. Every game released from now on will be tied to another client. I am even surprised that they waited that long. If I were EA, I would have done the same thing in 2012 with no distinction between CD and Online purchases. And they are at least giving a choice for you to not update.

By the way, I hate running games with a client but that's the future of gaming so we have no choice but to accept. Ranting grants us nothing.

My kids (21, 18 and 13) have no issues with digital downloads but they grew up with that lack of physical copy, I like having the game in my grubby paws, I like to have control over my games. Which is why I have Sims 3 all on disc (yes I do have to launch through Origin because my game was just purchased last Christmas) I will however hold off on the latest update till all the shenanegans are fixed. I want to play my game forever if I have the hardware for that. I want control over my game I'd hate to be playing 8 years from now and have my game disappear one day because EA decided to pull it from Origin because it was not longer profitable. Not sure if that would ever happen...hope not.
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    berginon wrote: »

Oh, I have a choice. Actually, I have multiple choices. They're called "other gaming platforms".

The thing about Steam and the other clients is that's how I bought it. If I paid for a digital download, I have no problem with the client because that's how I purchased it to begin with. I did not buy 21 Sims 3 digital downloads. I bought 21 discs and I was not expecting those discs to be rendered useless. No point in even going to the store in that case. I could've left them all on the store shelves.

If someone took all of my books and gave me an e-reader as replacement, I'd be furious because I paid for physical books! Same thing here.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif