Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

gimp or blender?

Hi, I am about to torture myself and learn how to make custom content, i will be downloading the sims4 studio and was wondering which program which is the best accompanying program out of gimp or blender? Or is there another one i'm not familiar with?
Origin name: Beatrix85

Comments

• _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member
    Hi @Nataria, it's great to hear you're going to work on making custom content :)

GIMP is a 2D editor that can be used for making images. Images can be used to make recolors of objects, hair, clothes, and other things for Sims 4. Blender is a 3D editor that is most often used for making 3D meshes that can be used to make new objects, hair, clothes, and other things.

If you're planning on making recolors you will only need a 2D editor and GIMP is a good one. If you're planning on making meshes you will need a 2D editor and a 3D editor. Blender is a great choice if you need a 3D editor.

Sims 4 Studio has a lot of tutorials that can help if you have questions about how to get started. Object, build, and tuning tutorials are HERE. CAS and pose tutorials are HERE. If you use a Studio tutorial and need more information I hope you will feel welcome to post in the tutorial thread so someone can help :)
  • NatariaNataria Posts: 587 Member
    Thank you @_orangemittens_ . That really has clarified things for me... :) I think i am going to get frustrated and fail miserably but at least i tried.. plus who knows. I might be okay at it :)
  • _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member
    You're welcome :) If you're absolutely new to making things using a 2D or 3D editor probably the best thing to start with is a recolor. Starting with that lets you learn one thing at a time because you can make new textures for existing items but if you make a brand new item you're almost certainly also going to have to make textures for it too.
  • NatariaNataria Posts: 587 Member
    I just recoloured my first object.. Im so proud of myself...Bright purple/pink floor I will only use because i created it.
    Now i want to recolour everything in my game... making new items... seems... uh hard..

22365602013_bb88f7be3a_b.jpg