Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SMALL UPDATE COMING TO THE PC VERSION OF THE SIMS 3

SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
*UPDATE*

Today we will be releasing an update for PC Windows version of The Sims 3 launcher to add the new Expansion and Stuff Pack Manager. During preparation for the release we have discovered that this update is not compatible with the current version of the Create-a-World (CAW) tool. We are working on an update for this particular issue and will notify you as soon as we have one.

Hello everyone!

Tomorrow (November 12) The Sims 3 website will be undergoing maintenance from 9am PT. During this time you may have issues accessing the The Sims 3 website. An update will also be available via Origin for The Sims 3 on PC only, which will include a new The Sims 3 Expansions and Stuff Pack Manager.

You can find out more information about the update and the new The Sims 3 Expansions and Stuff Pack Manager in this FAQ: http://help.ea.com/article/new-launcher-for-the-sims-3/

You can prepare to obtain The Sims 3 update by updating to the latest version of Origin, you will receive the latest version the next time you launch the Origin client.

If you have Origin running:
  • In the top left, select Origin
  • Click Exit
  • Re-launch Origin

You will automatically be updated to the latest version of Origin (Version 9.10.2.4863)
You can verify you have the latest Origin client by selecting HELP>ABOUT

You are now ready to receive The Sims 3 update tomorrow 12th November

Happy Simming!
Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
Post edited by SimGuruDrake on

Comments

• Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,453 Member
    edited November 2015
    I will pass along the news about a new update. o:)
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2F24.media.tumblr.com%2F2293ae00a319b8f98d9ae7d8fc16c0cd%2Ftumblr_mhmmp6X9Cc1rodkw5o2_500.gif&t=557&c=Z5d3aPQtUOiOsQ
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    Wow... I was not expecting this..
  • JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    Awesome! :smiley:
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Lukkas_LeonhartLukkas_Leonhart Posts: 44 Member
    awesome! :B
    jzHHpy3.jpg
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited November 2015
    Everyone, please please please please backup your save games before updating this.

EDIT: @Jessa_Dakkar My guess is that this goes mostly for lower spec computers and people struggling with all EPs. If you have an amazing experience, I see no reason why you should not play with them all :D

Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I wonder if I will still be able to bypass the launcher or if Origin will be required now? I really don't like the sound of this.
    I don't know. It's one of my concerns too, tbh. I'm also a bit concerned about EIG but we shall see tomorrow.

If you don't wanna be a guinea pig, don't update (make sure to turn off automatic updates)
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    AHQ Tutorial

• EisbergsEnteEisbergsEnte Posts: 146 Member
    edited November 2015
    "When choosing which packs to play with, we recommend selecting only a couple at a time. This will ensure you have the best game experience."

I think, they're just reminding us: The more stuff we have in our game, the slower it will run. ^^
    QNWOqEZ.jpg
    edited November 2015
    I hope it doesn't affect mods, whatever else it is they have up their sleeve.

*Backing up saves and hiding them under my bed where Origin can't find them*
    I don't think it will. It's an make it compatible with Origin patching/repairing thing mainly

Might be an issue if you have a mod for say seasons and disable that pack though.
    AHQ Tutorial

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @SimGuruDrake some of us are able to play with every installed and just turn off the things we don't want. Example I don't like playing celebrities so I turn that off. Is this update optional? I do have origin set up to ask me if I want to update. Thank you.
  • simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    I wonder if I will still be able to bypass the launcher or if Origin will be required now? I really don't like the sound of this.

I'm feeling worried about this, too. I just double-checked to make sure I have automatic updates turned off and I hope that's enough to safeguard me from this one. Now that the series is finished, I've gone nuts with mods and finally have my game EXACTLY the way I want it. I also hope it isn't necessary to install this update to be able to download and install the store content I've accumulated over the years. :/
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • Juliee101Juliee101 Posts: 479 Member
    I thought we were done with TS3, guess not.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    ahholladay wrote: »

I'm feeling worried about this, too. I just double-checked to make sure I have automatic updates turned off and I hope that's enough to safeguard me from this one. Now that the series is finished, I've gone nuts with mods and finally have my game EXACTLY the way I want it. I also hope it isn't necessary to install this update to be able to download and install the store content I've accumulated over the years. :/
    I only have to make sure I don't have the check mark in the launcher?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Lets be real, they are doing this because each expansion brings it's own set of issues and it's basically an option to turn them off.

I would have hoped they sent the last year fixing the bugs to make it playable -period- since no new content is coming out. Instead the packs I paid for now can just be disabled?

I'm appreciative of the fact they still care, but turning of content I paid for, rather than fixing the game breaking bugs that can know be fixed because no new content is jarring.

The Sims 2 didn't need this and I bet they won't do this for 4 either (since the Sims 4 with all content runs just as well as the Sims 1 base).
    The Sims 3 starts falling apart after 2 EP'S are installed.

Me too! :) I have about 25 mods in total, and have been slowly working on building up some CC here and there. I felt pretty good about the series being done and no more updates to stuff up the works, as it seemed to like to do. Updates are disabled for me.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @SimGuruDrake,

I have a question...

Please clarify exactly what is meant by that part I have outlined in red.
    originupdate_zps2dfeucff.png

Why is it now being recommended that we NOT play with all of the packs that we have purchased, installed and use, in our game? Can you please explain this little bit further, please? I have an AMAZING game experience. There are only a few SP's I haven't got, though I do intend to have them and play them. All. Simultaneously. Please elaborate.

The reason why it's not recommended is because the range of hardware the Sims 3 supports is tiny, and basically 90% of players don't have compatible hardware which is why it sounds like they are addressing everyone here.

I'm jealous because it seems you're one of the lucky ones (do you know your hardware specs by chance??)
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Lets be real, they are doing this because each expansion brings it's own set of issues and it's basically an option to turn them off.

I would have hoped they sent the last year fixing the bugs to make it playable -period- since no new content is coming out. Instead the packs I paid for now can just be disabled?

I'm appreciative of the fact they still care, but turning of content I paid for, rather than fixing the game breaking bugs that can know be fixed because no new content is jarring.

The Sims 2 didn't need this and I bet they won't do this for 4 either (since the Sims 4 with all content runs just as well as the Sims 1 base).
    The Sims 3 starts falling apart after 2 EP'S are installed.
    Ya. That's exactly why I just made sure this update won't happen next time I start my launcher. While you are sitting there, thinking my game fell apart in July 2010, I'll continue happily playing all 11 EP's.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    No way I'm letting Origin in my TS3 experience. I even loathe the Launcher and always play by bypassing it. (And, yes, my game and expansions are all legally bought.)
  • simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I hope so, @JoAnne65. Just to play it safe, I made sure the box in the launcher wasn't checked and I also made sure automatic updates were disabled in Origin. :)
    KGLsNuM.jpg

No, You have to turn them off in Origin.
    AHQ Tutorial

crinrict wrote: »

No, You have to turn them off in Origin.
    Oh, help, where, how? *opens Origin*
    5JZ57S6.png
    AHQ Tutorial