March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Windows 10 players solutions for sims 1 :)

mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
edited October 2015 in The Sims (2000)
Installing the mod that bypasses the disc and running the game in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2 fixed the problem for me. A modified Sims.exe to do this can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByvqSle1TbhCSGJETG1Ha3lEUUE/view?usp=sharing

I have uploaded it to Google Drive, as the website I found it on was a bit sketchy. I scanned it with my anitvirus and it came up normal... Google Drive also scans anything you upload with it's antivirus, but regardless use at your own risk. Please note that this is not a link to a pirated version of the game, just a fixed Sims.exe that will allow the game to launch on Windows 10. I own the game and installed it on my computer via the installation disks. Obviously you will have to own the game too for this to work.

Instructions on getting it working:

1.) Make sure you already have the game installed on your computer.

2.) Go to :C > Program Files (x86) > Maxis > Sims. Rename the Sims.exe to sims.old. Make sure you keep this file in case the new one doesn't work.

3.) Download the file and move the new Sims.exe to the same folder (:C > Program Files (x86) > Maxis > Sims).

4.) Launch, run the game in compatibility mode if necessary.

5.) If it works, enjoy. If not, remove the new Sims.exe and change the old one to it's original name.

Good luck.

Hopefully this helps anyone who's spent hours searching the internet trying to find a solution to this issue.

All credit goes to this simmer here. It worked for me, I had each game installed up to making magic. I had to click on cancel everytime it told me to laod the disk the first few times but now my game loads no problem.

Just a reminder if you don't play the game in full screen you will have the black box issue and it can easily be resolved by just pressing the control, alt and delete buttons and just exiting out of that screen. Once you back to the sims screen the black box will be gone ;)

Just like I showed other simmers here
mcrudd wrote: »
I do the black screen everytime I load it, all you do is hit the control alt and delete key and then cancel the page then its back to normal :)
So game loads with just a black square
h3w9ccv.png

Hit the control alt and delete buttons
Nzig0Dt.jpg

That screen will come up, it has cancel at the bottom, just hit the cancel button. I can't printscreen that page so had to look for this one on the internet via google image

When the above page exits your game will be perfect minus the black block
sm4q8kw.png

This only happens if I play my game in minimised windows, when I was playing it in full screen it did not happen one time, game ran perfectly, I just prefer minimised screen ;)

I hope this helps some of you to play on windows 10 :)
Post edited by mcrudd on

Comments

• shadowiciashadowicia Posts: 591 Member
    Oh thanks so much for this info.
  • Kaitlyn609Kaitlyn609 Posts: 9 New Member
    for this sims mod do you need to place it in a mod file like in sims 3? sorry if that's a stupid question.
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    shadowicia wrote: »
    Oh thanks so much for this info.

Its a pleasure :)
    Kaitlyn609 wrote: »
    for this sims mod do you need to place it in a mod file like in sims 3? sorry if that's a stupid question.

I don't exactly know what you mean, but I found this guide on how to install sims 1 cc
    http://www.thesimsresource.com/helpcenter/view-post/post/23072/Installing The Sims 1 Downloads
  • hummingbird41556hummingbird41556 Posts: 921 Member
    edited November 2015
    Just the info I have been looking for! Thank you so much. I hope this works. I miss my original game! Unfortunately, I keep getting the message that this file cannot be downloaded and is unsafe. Any other ideas?
    for the sims.exe it was the folder name I was meant to change? I'm sorry I'm not very good at this.
    nvm I got it, thank you very much for the link @mcrudd . Happy I got to play the sims 1 again.
    Kaitlyn609 wrote: »
    nvm I got it, thank you very much for the link @mcrudd . Happy I got to play the sims 1 again.

Yay glad you came right, post lots of pics of your gameplay :)
  • penguinliliespenguinlilies Posts: 1 New Member
    Installing the mod that bypasses the disc and running the game in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2 fixed the problem for me.

what do you mean by this? do i need to download windows xp sp2?
    also i tried to put the new sims.exe file in the sims folder but i got "fatal error, could not find the sims data directory"
  • SxHazelSxHazel Posts: 5 New Member
    I've managed to install my Sims Deluxe Edition game onto my PC but when I'm adding the above Sims.exe file to my C drive to then run it, nothing happens.

When you say 'rename the old one just in case it doesn't work' - what alternatives do we have if the file doesn't work? is it because this is for all expansion packs and I just have the deluxe edition? I'm not sure what other alternatives I have to get this game running on Windows 10.
  • EternalRoseEternalRose Posts: 763 Member
    edited September 2016
    I hope this helps with the administrative error, reinstalling Sims Complete Collection......feels like the millionth (Is that even a word. :blush: ) time now.

Edit: It worked! Thank you! :)
    Post edited by EternalRose on
    It works but only with the 800x600 resolution. :( Anybody know how to get it to work with the 1024x768 resolution? I already tried the -r 1024x768 trick that someone mentioned, but not sure if its just not working or I didn't type it in right. :/
    Nope, it still not a solution. Game has tons of glitches that are so bad it makes it impossible to play!!! We need a fix EA/Maxis!!! Please fix this issue asap!!! :'(
    Installing the mod that bypasses the disc and running the game in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2 fixed the problem for me.

what do you mean by this? do i need to download windows xp sp2?
    also i tried to put the new sims.exe file in the sims folder but i got "fatal error, could not find the sims data directory"

I no longer have sims 1,2 and 3 on my laptop since sims 4 became bigger I uninstalled it. So unfortuanatly I can't help you sorry.
    SxHazel wrote: »
    I've managed to install my Sims Deluxe Edition game onto my PC but when I'm adding the above Sims.exe file to my C drive to then run it, nothing happens.

When you say 'rename the old one just in case it doesn't work' - what alternatives do we have if the file doesn't work? is it because this is for all expansion packs and I just have the deluxe edition? I'm not sure what other alternatives I have to get this game running on Windows 10.

If I remember correctly, I am sorry this is a while ago now, the file mentioned is for sims making magic, so you will need to have that one with your deluxe to let it work sorry.
    I hope this helps with the administrative error, reinstalling Sims Complete Collection......feels like the millionth (Is that even a word. :blush: ) time now.

Edit: It worked! Thank you! :)
    It works but only with the 800x600 resolution. :( Anybody know how to get it to work with the 1024x768 resolution? I already tried the -r 1024x768 trick that someone mentioned, but not sure if its just not working or I didn't type it in right. :/
    Nope, it still not a solution. Game has tons of glitches that are so bad it makes it impossible to play!!! We need a fix EA/Maxis!!! Please fix this issue asap!!! :'(

I could also only play 800x600 but then I did a thing in the properties that allowed me to play full screen. I think I had to add a -w at the end of the target in properties. I will try and find that for you, since I found it online for myself.
    I am sorry, I can't find it, but I am almost sure it was -w
    Ok thanks I was thinking it was -r,lol I'll give it another try, but for some reason the run with no disc mod/hack made the game really messed up & wasn't worth playing because it glitched every few seconds very bad. :(
    Ok thanks I was thinking it was -r,lol I'll give it another try, but for some reason the run with no disc mod/hack made the game really messed up & wasn't worth playing because it glitched every few seconds very bad. :(

I did not have any problems with the game itself, but it turned out my laptop was not windows 10 compatable so I had to revert back to windows 7. Doing that I lost everything so I never reinstalled the others, only 4 :) I really hope you come right or that EA considers doing a big sims collections game on Origin in the future like they did with the sims 2 collections editions. That would be awesome.
  • SinuceSinuce Posts: 1 New Member
    mcrudd wrote: »
    Just a reminder if you don't play the game in full screen you will have the black box issue and it can easily be resolved by just pressing the control, alt and delete buttons and just exiting out of that screen. Once you back to the sims screen the black box will be gone ;)
    I hope this helps some of you to play on windows 10 :)

@mcrudd
    I was looking for exactly this piece of information.
    Thank you very much for sharing this advice back in 2015 :)
    Happy to help, I am only playing sims 4 now, my computer had a spaz so I got rid of 1, 2 and 3. I miss them though.
  • Gmeister88Gmeister88 Posts: 1 New Member
    I have all expansion packs up to unleashed but can't get it to work, do I need superstar and making magic as well or will this only work for complete collection?
    Windows 10
  • HoverDrumsHoverDrums Posts: 13 New Member
    It messed my game up too, but probably not as bad.
  • Purplekitty28Purplekitty28 Posts: 7 New Member
    I didn't think this thread is still running but its worth a shot. When ever I try to install the no cd patch it comes up 'cannot find data directory' . I've heard of multiple people who have had this problem and fixed it but no one seems to be showing how to they did it?