Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

El Capitan and The Sims 3

So has anyone updated and how does the game run?
Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited September 2015
    I was just about to post :)

My game won't launch at all. I've bypassed the Launcher, re-patched 1.67. Purged, restarted. Nothing. Always the same debug error message:

ts3elcapitandebug.png

I'll uninstall and reinstall over the weekend. Urgh.

Edit - Wait! I really should follow my own advice sometimes.... After moving out the TS3 folder it's working. No idea why, nothing has changed in my game, I haven't even played it for days and nothing was saved when I played. I put the original folder back and then just deleted the cache files and tried again. Nope, had to remove the whole folder to get it working again.

Double urgh.

apple-signature.png
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    That's what happened to me last year when I upgraded to Yosemite. Had to reinstall all my store content which will take days. Probably will update over the weekend.
    That's what happened to me last year when I upgraded to Yosemite. Had to reinstall all my store content which will take days. Probably will update over the weekend.

Oh god :( At only 4 pieces at a time that will take me years :frowning: must be some kind of an authentication thing.

apple-signature.png
    I may try my other trick before reinstalling everything. Not sure if it will work, but it works to correct the game when it acts up for me. I love Time Machine.
    I may try my other trick before reinstalling everything. Not sure if it will work, but it works to correct the game when it acts up for me. I love Time Machine.

I know you do :) I hate it :D

apple-signature.png
  • callecalle Posts: 4 New Member
    Hello,
    I'm just new to this forum.

Do I get you right that Sims 3 does not work with OSX 10.11 El Capitan?

If you recommend to remove the "TS3 folder", is this the user folder in Documents/Electronics Arts? And will all the saved game information be lost afterwards?

We are playing Sims 3 from disk, not the download version. Does this make a difference?

What is this "other trick" you mentioned? Could you make Sims 3 work in El Capitan?

Lots of question from a newbie...

Thanks in advance!
    Chris.
    calle wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm just new to this forum.

Do I get you right that Sims 3 does not work with OSX 10.11 El Capitan?

If you recommend to remove the "TS3 folder", is this the user folder in Documents/Electronics Arts? And will all the saved game information be lost afterwards?

We are playing Sims 3 from disk, not the download version. Does this make a difference?

What is this "other trick" you mentioned? Could you make Sims 3 work in El Capitan?

Lots of question from a newbie...

Thanks in advance!
    Chris.

Mine's working now. Yes, that's the TS3 folder. I pulled mine out, launched the game so a new one was created, deleted the new Saves file and replaced it with my old one then copied over all my store content from the old downloads folder to the new one. Opened the Launcher, selected all the downloads and clicked install. Make sure to patch the store content when prompted and only copy over the .Sims3Pack files from the downloads folder :)

apple-signature.png
    Thank you,
    I will try the update to El Cpitan then.
    The other "trick" I mentioned is if you use Time Machine, to move just your saved games folder from the TS3 folder and then restore your game to an earlier version (the entire TS3 folder) so that hopefully you don't have to spend hours reinstalling all of your Store CC.
    Hi,

thanks for all the help.

I updated to El Capitan and then the game seemed to work just fine. But after it started up it failed because it couldn't read the game disk. After several tries I decided to uninstall and to download the game from Origin instead. Fortunately, due to fast internet connection and SSD, the installation went rather quick. But the Launcher doesn't even come up, it shows just a message box with "Unknown error".

So I deleted the Preferences folder from the fresh installed game another time and now the launcher started downloading an update.

Let's see how this continues.
    Finally, after all updates and EPs are installed again the game seems to run fine.
    Without all the information from this forum I'd have probably thrown it out of the window...
  • caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    Hello Mac simmers,

Long time no speak!

Just dropped by to see how everyone was getting on with their games in El Capitan. I updated my iMac to El Capitan a few weeks ago and it went really well - my game worked first time (which I was not expecting after seeing that others were having trouble) without having to move the folder or reinstall any content. I don't know why, I guess I was just extremely lucky on this occasion!

I've played for a couple of hours last weekend and this weekend and it seems to me that the game is running better than ever. I'm not having to purge RAM quite as often as I did previously. It's still a bit crashy in CAS but Live and Build mode are more stable than they've been for a while.

I'm really happy with El Capitan :)

xxx
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
    Great! I found that I let CAS load up and a then sort the clothes by EP/SP so it doesn't crash on me. I'll update this week and see how I fare.
    Update on updating. I updated last night to El Capitan it works beautifully! I didn't have to reinstall anything! *squee!*
  • marierauschermarierauscher Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello :) im a newbie here :/ can i ask some help plsss . I update to el capitan i uninstall and re install my game i just starting to play so really new one here but after the update i always got the message that need to put the disk even the disk is working well :/ helppp
  • tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    Hello :) im a newbie here :/ can i ask some help plsss . I update to el capitan i uninstall and re install my game i just starting to play so really new one here but after the update i always got the message that need to put the disk even the disk is working well :/ helppp

This error occurs frequently. Did you read the stickied help post, "A Mac User's Best Friend"? It would've led you to this.
  • AbbeyBominable1AbbeyBominable1 Posts: 1 New Member
    I know im kind of late but ever since i installed el capitan my sims 3 game won't even launch? I re-installed all of my sims 3 games and expansion packs (i checked and i still have all of my data so maybe i didnt?) but it still won't launch. I tried changing the script in the sims 3 launcher code, and taking out my sims 3 folder but it just won't launch :( Help?
  • SemajSimsSemajSims Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey Guys, I Have Sims 3 and I updated my mac version to El Capitan . A message keeps popping up and saying that "Unknown Error Occurred" and and then I tried bypassing the launcher in "info.plist" and then another message popped up saying "Unable To Start Game , Service Initialized failed (0X0175dcbb) . I need help my game won't start at all
    Ok, try moving the sims 3 folder to your Desktop (Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 3). Do Not Delete! Next start your game up and see it starts back up ok. If so, then you can add back your Store Content and saved games.
  • AlexApfelAlexApfel Posts: 5 New Member
    Hello Guys!
    Hello Guys!
    Since a few days I'm trying to get Sims 3 working on my iMac 27" late 2015.
    I followed all instructions from BluebellFloras blog (by the way, a big THANK YOU anyway for all those great tipps!), but I always get an unknown error. When I tried bypassing the launcher like SemajSims did, I got the same error - Service Initialized failed (0X0175dcbb).
    To move the '/Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3 folder' doesn't work for me.

I installed and uninstalled it 4 times (also followed BluebellFloras uninstall instructions) and at the 4th time of installation I did it in the following way and even got the basegame and 2 expansion packs working:

Install basegame
    superpatcher
    Open Sims 3 -> it works (can even start playing)

Installed world adventures/High-End Loft Stuff
    superpatcher
    Try to open it -> works
    Install newest patch
    Try to start playing -> works too

But this works just up to the High-End Loft Stuff expansion pack. After I installed Ambitions or any newer epansion pack I just got the 'unknown error' again...
    The odd thing is, that Ambitions and newer EPs don't create an alias in the Sims 3 folder?

Does anybody have an idea how to fix this?
    Here are my specs:

iMac Retina 5K 27" late 2015
    RAM: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB
    OS X El Capitan

Hope anybody can help. :(
    Have a nice day! :)
    You only need to run the SuperPatch one time. So do a complete uninstall once more.

Install Base game. SuperPatch. Install World Adventures (if you own it). This game will say it has a patch and that your current version may not be compatible. Don't worry it is. Let it install. Everything from World Adventures to Outdoor Living had a separate patch that was part of the game's installation. After that starting with Generations, you won't have that separate patch message.

The important thing is install the game in release order so that the game can build on itself properly. Here is the list:

Base Game
    World Adventures
    High End Loft (sp)
    Ambitions
    Fast Lane (sp)
    Late Night
    Outdoor Living (sp) Last one to have a separate patch that has to be run.
    Generations
    Town Life (sp)
    Pets
    Master Suite (sp)
    Showtime
    Katy Perry Sweet Treats (sp)
    Diesel (sp)
    Supernatural
    Seasons
    70's, 80's & 90's (sp)
    University Life
    Island Paradies
    Movie Stuff (sp)
    Into The Future

Make sure that you have a good copy of the SuperPatch before starting to install again. Here is the link to the SuperPatch.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/549552/official-ea-download-links-for-the-sims-3-cumulative-manual-update#latest

I also suggest a quick read of the post. The reason it is a separate download is because the Launcher cannot properly handle the file size of the patch. You game will then be patched to 1.67 which is the current patch number for the Mac.
    @AlexApfel

Glad I could help :)

Weirdly I responded to someone with the same Mac over at AHQ here yesterday - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/2015-27-quot-iMac-5K-Unknown-Error-Ocurred/m-p/5555921#U5555921

Reading that may help but let me know if you have any further questions.
    apple-signature.png

Thanks for your answers! :)
    I give it a try and will give you feedback. Hopefully it works, because it would be a great pity if I couldn't use Late Night and Ambitions.

@BluebellFlora Haha, nice coincidence! I already tried to edit the GraphicsCards.sgr, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. Do I really have to add “AMD Radeon HD 8800M Series” to the file? Because according to the AMD Website is my graphics card from the AMD Radeon R9 M300 Series?

@Tremayne4260 Do I have to open the launcher after every installation of an EP (from world adventures to outdoor living) to install the separate patches or do I have to open it after the installation of all EP's?