The Sims 4: High School Years EP launches July 28th! Click here to find out more!

Did gems become smaller at one point or??

shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
Okay guys, so this is the gem display rack from some time ago. These gems were found by a mermaid, under water I think. I don't remember anymore, but the shot is from a mermaid's house, I know that atleast.

12034476_10153208985542055_6306594202100476591_o_zpsnydpshw2.jpg

A long time ago, after playing this, I found a book-case display rack that I've since use manyyyyy times, because it can fit three gems in each shelf, and I hate these stupid EA display racks that take up so much space and only displays like four or five gems as opposed to like, twenty or thirty.

It wasn't until I spotted this screenshot that I realized my gems aren't so big anymore.

This is was my gems look like now, and have for a super long time.

12188143_10153274843812055_6310615180553999599_o_zpssmefjl45.jpg

I don't use any gem-shrinking mods that I know of. I only use a couple of nraas mods that are unrelated - and this book case. Cant remember where I got it but I think it was a sort of "empty bookcase" form Modthesims. Anyway, how big are gems suppose to be? Are they bigger if collected by an occult/special sim?? I have no idea what to make of this. I really miss having big gems - but I also want a super way of display them.

edit: it was this bookcase http://modthesims.info/d/400518

Comments

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Might those large gems in the first picture be from transfiguration with the WA Carter's Display Case? I've used that to make the skull cut gems and the large ingots, but I've never used it to make the large gems.
  • shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    TreyNutz, I didn't have WA back when I played with that mermaid. WA was the most recent expansion I got, hahah! I had almost all execpt that one when I had IP.
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,108 Member
    There are also, in the underwater treasure chests, large cut gems. The mermaid might have gotten the large ones from one of those. Your gem on the red pillow just looks normal size. You have to "large" them up to get the big ones (you need 10 of the small ones, I believe).
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    edited November 2015
    My gems always looked like picture 2, but boy are the gems in picture 1 Beautiful! <3

Edited kuz I kant speel!
    TreyNutz, I didn't have WA back when I played with that mermaid. WA was the most recent expansion I got, hahah! I had almost all execpt that one when I had IP.

IP is the most recent EP I've bought. But I still haven't played that world yet. Didn't know about the treasure chests.
    Ahaaa! Interesting. Why is it that the underwater ones are large? And how can I "enlargen" them by having 10 of the small ones? That's really interesting though. Is there a "cheat" to enlargen them? (like, the testingcheats etc)
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    TreyNutz wrote: »

IP is the most recent EP I've bought. But I still haven't played that world yet. Didn't know about the treasure chests.

I have it too, everyone says it's the most glitchy world, played it a bit, wasn't blown away....
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    @Charlottesmom Island Paradisio probably is the world with the single most routing problems. Shoot, they aren't limited to the world but include a number of the houses as well that have inside doors set as the "front door" of the house. Thankfully there are fixes for all of the Maxis worlds and they should be applied before playing any of them.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • AshpeefAshpeef Posts: 173 Member
    edited November 2015
    [...snip...] Is there a "cheat" to enlargen them? (like, the testingcheats etc)

No cheat needed, just put enough gems in the more expensive showcase (Carters Display Case) and 'transmogrify' the contents. This is done in game (Life Mode). The result depends on gem type, gem cut etcetera. You can also mix things up to get a whole bunch of surprises! Apart from gems, you can play with metals, artefacts and combinations. Some changes can be quite profitable, while others cost (much) more than you get back. The fun is in finding the right 'recipes'. The simplest: 10 gems of the same type and cut => 1 large of that type and cut.
    Post edited by Ashpeef on
  • MoonandStars83MoonandStars83 Posts: 1,735 Member
    @shakeninsane I believe the large-cut gems come from treasure chests.
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
    My Blog // Click me if you dare.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,557 Member
    I get the large gems two ways.
    The easy way is to send a Sim scuba diving and if he's lucky there'll be some large gems in treasure chests.

The other way is to get the Carters Display Case from World Adventures and put 10 of the same gem on it and choose the Transfigure option. Then I get 1 large gem.
    10 of a gem to get a bigger one? Jeez! I've got a werewolf partner to help out with finding gems and such, but I rarely get to find that many in so little time, especially of the same type. Or well, the most common ones are not that hard to come by, it would still take atleast ten days, granted I find the same gem every day, lmao.

I just built a scuba diving lot and placed some chests.. hopefully the chests "respawn" once opened, right? I can't remember if they did or not last time I played.

• MoonandStars83MoonandStars83 Posts: 1,735 Member
    If you want a cheat-like tip, you can buy uncut gems from the Consignment Store. They usually have common ones, as well as the more rare, and (if you have WA) the destination-specific ones.
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
    My Blog // Click me if you dare.
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,108 Member
    10 of a gem to get a bigger one? Jeez! I've got a werewolf partner to help out with finding gems and such, but I rarely get to find that many in so little time, especially of the same type. Or well, the most common ones are not that hard to come by, it would still take atleast ten days, granted I find the same gem every day, lmao.

I just built a scuba diving lot and placed some chests.. hopefully the chests "respawn" once opened, right? I can't remember if they did or not last time I played.

If I remember correctly, the chests are a one-time thing for each Sim. A different Sim can open them again and get the same treasure. They don't seem to work the way the treasure chests did in World Adventures.

• BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member

You can also nab gems in vacation worlds. Make sure your Sim has a Collection Helper to find them. Pretty much all my Sims end up with a lot of gems, mostly collected but a number of them from the consignment store too.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
    Once a chest has been opened they stay open. You don't get any more out of them.

Carl's guide has info on transfiguration.
    http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com
  • SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    If you have a werewolf you can just hunt hunt hunt, have piles of gems soooo quick, once your werewolf is good at hunting, you can even specify what to hunt for.
    Also, if you are using the carter display case for metal, you can have an alien transmute it a bunch first, I've had large compendium ingots worth over a million simoleans, its kind of silly really.
    Another way to get hundreds of gems quickly is to have World Adventures and put the board breaking object in your household.

Then if you have a Sim with high Martial Arts skill they will be able to break Space Rocks.

Space Rocks give gems when broken.

If your Sim happens to have the Disciplined trait they will break space rocks all day and all night if they can get away with it and you'll have more gems than you can cope with.

You will eventually probably want to remove that particular trait as there are just so many gems you can cope with in a single household.

It is a good idea to put the board breaker in a big room to leave space for all those gems to go.
    Breaking space rocks for gems requires completing the Timber Terminator Martial Arts skill challenge, and that requires the sim break 150 boards of oak or stronger. Disciplined sims do like to autonomously break space rocks; if you are looking for large gems that's not a bad way to go.

Using the collection helper in any world and just picking up all the uncut gems is the fastest way to accumulate many of them. The EP specific ones might require traveling though.

Transfiguring normal gems to large ones only takes 8 gems if you use the large Carter's Display Case. The smaller case holds 10; I'm not sure if 10 is required on the smaller one to activate transfiguration. I always use the larger case because it (oddly) holds less.
    edited November 2015
    One thing about the werewolf hunting for gems, is it will give you all kinds your game has, world adventure, supernatural etc. Best way short of placing your own gem spawners IMO.
    Second easiest way IMO, is training a dog to hunt.
    Breaking space rocks is nice, but unlike the first two methods it spawns them all over the ground and your sim still has to run around collecting them all.

Someone posted a screenshot of a large skull shaped tiberium a while back, now THAT sounds like a challenge to get, I wonder if its worth more than a large spire cut, and if you leave it out if it will change to spire cut, almost curious enough to go check, almost.

ETA: Another thing to consider if your sim has science, is you can just clone gems, for free, and quite fast, if you do it for tiberium and have a gemcutter, make sure to clone the raw form though, as the cut gem AND the gem dust will grow to large spire cut after a few days.
    I'm currently collecting spire cut tiberium from the combination of board breaker and gem cutting machine. I need 4 more and will try to transfigure it to see what happens.
    SimKeats wrote: »

Thanks for the link. I had a quick look earlier and couldn't find it and got a bit frustrated.

I will see if I can make a skull cut tiberium but it may take a while. I do have a lot of cut gems though so will have a look through my chests and see what I can find.

If you have the gem cutting machine and cut the tiberium there you end up with your cut stone plus gem dust and that gem dust will turn into spire cut if you leave it out.
    what does it mean for your sims to "have science" in order to copy stuff?
    what does it mean for your sims to "have science" in order to copy stuff?

Level 8 or 9 of the science skill from University allows your sim to clone items they have analyzed and obtained a sample of. Works for gems, metals, rocks, insects, harvestables, and sims.