Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Comments

• pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    This isn't a new game. This is a game that was made for Achievers who like ticking things off a list and being told what to do. Players don't rule and don't control in The Sims 4. Instead, the game tells players what they must do if they want their Sim ton succeed in a career, especially the open careers.

The game tells players the kind of furniture they must have in a community lot such as a bar, or else the game won't recognize the lot unless that checklist has been met. Heck, I could open a bar simply by putting the objects in and nothing else on an open plot of land, no walls or anything...and it would be a bar as long as the list was checked off.

I have a lot more leeway even in The Sims 2 for creating a Community Lot.

As far as "Get Together" is concerned....I have a feeling even the Clubs will be limited to checklists and to-do lists...and they won't be nearly as open-ended as they should be. It'll be just another case of..."Oh, we never thought of this"...or..."That detail didn't occur to us." Just like they didn't think that when a Sim retires from one of the open careers they immediately lose skills and access to objects they had legitimately earned, but can no longer use. Limiting, much?

This might as well be just another tablet game.
    Where do we have lists what to do? I do what I want in the game I don't follow a list or task sheet.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    This isn't a new game. This is a game that was made for Achievers who like ticking things off a list and being told what to do. Players don't rule and don't control in The Sims 4. Instead, the game tells players what they must do if they want their Sim ton succeed in a career, especially the open careers.

The game tells players the kind of furniture they must have in a community lot such as a bar, or else the game won't recognize the lot unless that checklist has been met. Heck, I could open a bar simply by putting the objects in and nothing else on an open plot of land, no walls or anything...and it would be a bar as long as the list was checked off.

As far as "Get Together" is concerned....I have a feeling even the Clubs will be limited to checklists and to-do lists...and they won't be nearly as open-ended as they should be. It'll be just another case of..."Oh, we never thought of this"...or..."That detail didn't occur to us." Just like they didn't think that when a Sim retires from one of the open careers they immediately lose skills and access to objects they had legitimately earned, but can no longer use. Limiting, much?

Where do we have lists what to do? I do what I want in the game I don't follow a list or task sheet.
    Active/open careers, social events, aspiration steps...
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

You don't have to follow them.
    fullspiral wrote: »

You do if you want to get promoted, not throw a bad party, or accomplish the aspiration.

You do if you want to get promoted, not throw a bad party, or accomplish the aspiration.

But you can take your time getting promoted, you can throw parties without the rules, and take your time doing the aspiration too. It's a part of the game, but doesn't have to be the focus of the game.

But you can take your time getting promoted, you can throw parties without the rules, and take your time doing the aspiration too. It's a part of the game, but doesn't have to be the focus of the game.
    Only one of those things solves the problem.
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

What if I don't want to 'take my time' getting promoted or accomplish the aspiration? Even taking my time having to follow some of the inane tasks felt like 'work' for me, not fun. Like @SweetieKaye says only the party thing works as an answer but even so you miss out on content if you won't follow the party 'rules'.
    They should have an option to opt out of the micro managing tasks without having to cheat to succeed or be 'punished' by losing access to things. Then those who like it can keep it but those who prefer that sandbox can be catered to too.
  • ianxziianxzi Posts: 723 Member
    All they do is change the graphics and animations but leave all the stuff people actually want for future expansions so they can get hella $$
    original.gif
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    manda9801 wrote: »
    Pary wrote: »
    I've never seen anyone ask for a carbon copy of past games. What a load of utter nonsense. What people HAVE asked for, is the best from past games be returned in some fashion.
    The trouble with TS4 for me, and some others is that where previous games tried hard to expand and improve upon its predecessor, Sims 4 has done nothing but REmove, and hasn't improved upon much, if anything at all.

The world is full of fake backdrops, Sims so called "emotions" are just as bad as previous versions when they were touted as being so realistic and "emotional". They're not. I still find Sims from TS2 have way more balanced and supposedly realistic emotions than these TS4 flakes.
    They left out an entire lifestage supposedly to build this solid foundation... the solid foundation that in the beginning couldn't handle a pool, and still can't handle terrain tools and the addition of more facial hair. The beautiful open world from the previous iteration was not improved upon, to maybe prevent so many routing errors. Instead it was simply removed and the game went back to 1980's loading screens. And it's true - it's all because EA wasted tons of dev time on trying to push out some rubbish online version that already failed in the end, twice in the past.
    It doesn't even take advantage of newer hardware these days, you could run it on a potato and it looks like some simple child's Facebook or IPad game.

Gameplay and even the UI have been simplified. Probably so it's not so difficult for today's casual gamer who just doesn't want to put in any effort. It's more than likely quite true when EA's Rich Hilleman says that EA's games are "too hard" for their players to learn these days. Clearly a simple audience needs simple games in their eyes.

Edit - I'll go and sit in the "haters" corner as well. And hate. Because this travesty of a game deserves plenty of it.

"Run it on a potato" - You are my hero!

Lol.
    I seriously hate this game....downgrading a PC game so everyone can play it. Blasphemy I tell you!! Dang it!! What a smack in the face as a PC gamer.

At the age of 8, knowing that my family computer couldn't play it, I worked my tail off picking up dog poop to save up and buy a new computer just so I could play Sims 2. At 8. At 15 I sucked up to my annoying older brother to play Sims 3 until I could buy a new PC to play it. If someone really wanted to play a game they'll figure out a way to get a machine to play it. I'm sick of hearing that excuse for this game.

Dead Space 3 and Battlefield 4, 2+ year old games (from EA) have higher specs than this game. Why didn't EA cater to those fans? Why the sudden emphatic sentiment to focus on low budget PC players? I'll tell you why, EA/Maxis supposedly saying "we made this game for lower end computers" is a big fat excuse for their stripped down game. Since when did AAA PC game producers give a plum about low-budget PC gamers? Never I tell you! These gaming industries are friends with these graphic card/gaming division PC industries. I remember when Sims 2 was announced they released the specs for that game a year before it was coming out. The specs for that game were pretty high given the time it was released. I also remember, when Alienware computers were "the thing" in terms of commercialized PC gaming, EA and Dell striked up a close-knit relationship because Sims 2 advertisements were all over Dell/Alienware sites to encourage prospective Sims 2 simmers to buy their machines. (I remember because I would go to the dell site faithfully as a child to sit and dream that I could afford one so I could play it.) Same thing with Sims 3, EA were holding hands with AMD Graphics company..still are! Now you're gonna tell me I can play this game on an Intel integrated graphics card?!? Ridiculous.
    Shame on you Maxis.

Shame on you PC gamer developers of the Sims 4! You are suppose to be the creators of the virtual realm and push the limits of PCs with your awesomeness, that is your oath as the true knights of PC games. Not create games that my little niece's leapfrog can play. I'm so mad right now! Like the OP I too ask this simple question regarding the Sims 4. Why!??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/
    Yours Truly,
    A Proud Hater.

What if I don't want to 'take my time' getting promoted or accomplish the aspiration? Even taking my time having to follow some of the inane tasks felt like 'work' for me, not fun. Like @SweetieKaye says only the party thing works as an answer but even so you miss out on content if you won't follow the party 'rules'.
    They should have an option to opt out of the micro managing tasks without having to cheat to succeed or be 'punished' by losing access to things. Then those who like it can keep it but those who prefer that sandbox can be catered to too.

If you don't want to take your time and play "sandbox" then by all means, go for the goals. Do you really care about that content so much though? Does that couch mean that much to you that it ruins the game? lol

I am not a fan of locked content and I have said that right from the start. But I am not going to throw parties and try to get a couch just to have that couch. And I am not going to get all 🐸🐸🐸🐸 just because I can't have that couch. There are lots of couches. My livingroom only needs one.

I just have a different perspective I guess. I play with telemetry on. And I hope they record that I don't play to unlock things and that those things they lock mean nothing to me.

I have motherlode. I RULE my game. ;)
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

If you don't want to take your time and play "sandbox" then by all means, go for the goals. Do you really care about that content so much though? Does that couch mean that much to you that it ruins the game? lol

I am not a fan of locked content and I have said that right from the start. But I am not going to throw parties and try to get a couch just to have that couch. And I am not going to get all 🐸🐸🐸🐸 just because I can't have that couch. There are lots of couches. My livingroom only needs one.

I just have a different perspective I guess. I play with telemetry on. And I hope they record that I don't play to unlock things and that those things they lock mean nothing to me.

It just irritates me having content behind locks. Really does! Because there really isn't huge amounts of options in the base anyway so it limited me more. Claustrophobic is how it felt! It's not about getting 'plum' I won't use that word-it's that I like variety :)

I'm not against *some* tasks. But I do dislike overly specific repetitive tasks. Previous games managed to strike a balance on skills etc most of the time which allowed you to pick multiple paths to fulfill that. I like my sims to succeed, it's part of what I enjoy. I don't want to cheat my way through the game always though.

Yeah I don't want telemetry on. Don't like the current T&Cs on the game data personally. But I agree and hope they learn that from you too ;)

It just irritates me having content behind locks. Really does! Because there really isn't huge amounts of options in the base anyway so it limited me more. Claustrophobic is how it felt! It's not about getting 'plum' I won't use that word-it's that I like variety :)

I'm not against *some* tasks. But I do dislike overly specific repetitive tasks. Previous games managed to strike a balance on skills etc most of the time which allowed you to pick multiple paths to fulfill that. I like my sims to succeed, it's part of what I enjoy. I don't want to cheat my way through the game always though.

Yeah I don't want telemetry on. Don't like the current T&Cs on the game data personally. But I agree and hope they learn that from you too ;)

I ignore tasks I think are foolish. I will do the odd one I am okay with and makes sense to my play. TBH, I think I have had maybe 3 parties since S4 launched. I have had zero weddings. I don't play that way so their guidelines mean absolutely nothing to me. Most of my sims don't take on "careers" so that means nothing to me. I either motherlode, or get them to collect or paint or write for money. It depends on the story for the family.

I said in another thread that I have had maybe 3 or 4 of my sims reach the top level of a career, and that is for the same reason....part of their story and what they mean to my community.

I can't remember, do the drums, guitar and piano all add to the one skill in 3? I don't mind if they are different in 4. I have yet to get a sim to max violin or guitar. The only one maxed was my Diana Krall sim, and that was because she was Diana Krall! She might come in handy down the road with new EPs. ;)

• Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    What I am wondering when I read some of these comments, is that maybe Sims 4 is the last installment and there will not be a sims 5. Just my wondering, no facts. Maybe they are looking for reasons not to continue the series. Low sales of sims 4 could be a good excuse reason for them not to make a sims 5. Not having a good enough engine, another, not enough time, another, not a big enough fanbase, could be another. There are no facts for this it is purely speculation on my part.
    We also tend to just pick out parts of posts and not read all of the post and really stop to understand the posters meaning. I was accused of misunderstanding when I did that in another post, where someone made a statement about children, isn't that the same thing? That just parts of a post are jumped on and the rest of the post even though it makes sense, it is ignored? Just my observation.
    That was part of the ultimatum given on a Twitter account before the Sims 4 release. It has since been taken down. But Simmers do bring it up especially since it was said by a Guru.

Here is a link to some of those quoted statements. http://www.pcgamesn.com/sims-4/maxis-future-sims-if-sims-4-isnt-successful-there-wont-be-sims-5

Just wanted to point out here that that statement was retracted immediately after it was posted. The Maxis employee explained that he was only frustrated because commenters were asking about TS5 the very day that TS4 went live. That quote has been misused ever since.

The Sims 4 is not a sandbox.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Sims 4 is great when you want to cheat and go completely sandbox, or when you like to paint by numbers. But if you want your imagination to interact with what the game suggests you to do (in your own way), that's not possible. It's either 'do whatever you want to do and don't mind me' or 'do this and do that or else'. It's not: 'hey, here's an idea for you and you may decide for yourself how to do it, when and where'.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    ^ This! It's either/or. That doesn't spell sandbox flexibility to me!
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
    Shadoza2 wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    What I am wondering when I read some of these comments, is that maybe Sims 4 is the last installment and there will not be a sims 5. Just my wondering, no facts. Maybe they are looking for reasons not to continue the series. Low sales of sims 4 could be a good excuse reason for them not to make a sims 5. Not having a good enough engine, another, not enough time, another, not a big enough fanbase, could be another. There are no facts for this it is purely speculation on my part.
    We also tend to just pick out parts of posts and not read all of the post and really stop to understand the posters meaning. I was accused of misunderstanding when I did that in another post, where someone made a statement about children, isn't that the same thing? That just parts of a post are jumped on and the rest of the post even though it makes sense, it is ignored? Just my observation.
    That was part of the ultimatum given on a Twitter account before the Sims 4 release. It has since been taken down. But Simmers do bring it up especially since it was said by a Guru.

Here is a link to some of those quoted statements. http://www.pcgamesn.com/sims-4/maxis-future-sims-if-sims-4-isnt-successful-there-wont-be-sims-5

Just wanted to point out here that that statement was retracted immediately after it was posted. The Maxis employee explained that he was only frustrated because commenters were asking about TS5 the very day that TS4 went live. That quote has been misused ever since.
    So, the lesson here is one most people heard growing up: Watch your mouth! Or keyboard, in this case.
  • Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    The new group system looks really cool and customizable. It says "sandbox" to me. I think the devs have heard those who dislike the goals, and are going to continue to add more open ended play like this.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    The new group system looks really cool and customizable. It says "sandbox" to me. I think the devs have heard those who dislike the goals, and are going to continue to add more open ended play like this.
    That's actually one of the things I'm curious about. Will it be 'do this and do this, check, check' for the clubs, or will it indeed be more free than that. For me that will be the difference between buying it and not buying it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MaddannaMaddanna Posts: 127 Member

Glad you're enthused about this :smile: As for me I think I'll wait to see how open ended it is, it may change my stance on the game yet (never say never right?). If you buy it on release let me know how you found it and why.

Happy Simming!
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    That's actually one of the things I'm curious about. Will it be 'do this and do this, check, check' for the clubs, or will it indeed be more free than that. For me that will be the difference between buying it and not buying it.
    Exactly why I'm not pre-ordering. I'll wait to see how it's received first and if I change my mind, I'll wait for a sale.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

Yes but you can just give the person the objectives they need and send them alone to work and they still get promoted. So really you don't have to follow the tasks or the lists.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • MaddannaMaddanna Posts: 127 Member
    @mizztourettes welcome to the forums! :smiley:
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    meeoun wrote: »
    meeoun wrote: »
    simsjammy wrote: »
    And if the sims 4 was an exact replica of past games people would complain about that as well.

And where did anyone say they wanted a carbon copy? Please link to any statements you've ever seen that what people are looking for is exactly the same. In all my time here I've never, ever, seen it but it seems to be an assumption you often use. I'd like to see where you get that from.

I believe they are referring to OP stating that previous games could have been used as a mold. In addition, many players are saddened by features that were in previous games but not this one. So maybe carbon copy is a bit of a leap, but I understand where they are coming from. People want the same features at the expense of old features.

However, if it were the other way around and all features were copied over and no new feature were added, I'm sure people would be just as upset.

She said 'exact replica'. Using previous games as a reference should be part and parcel of a sequel.

I don't believe that would ever happen btw ;) All the bases managed to be different but also an upgrade in several ways to try to innovate. Not so for TS4. It's regressed in many ways and only made small improvements.

in my opinion the sims 3 was a huge step down from 2, and the sims 4 is a huge step up from 3. it's opinion.

YES! I agree! Sims 3 never played well for me on a good computer, I could never save.

That stinks. I had to play it on my brother's PC back when it was released. There some things I didn't like about 3 but I LOVED open world. With Storyprogression mods and open world together my sim's world felt so real! I was hoping Sims 4 would've been a combination of the past series.

I'm sorry you didn't get this experience.

Thanks I also wish I had that experience, as I kept buying the EP's etc as I thought it would get better it got worse! LOL

I bet it did considering your computer couldn't handle the base game. (Referring to your first post). :C

Computer can handle the game my computer guy told me that the specs were messed up and the game plays on some computers and others not so well .

System Information
    Time of this report: 11/5/2015, 14:21:07
    Machine name: MONEYPIT
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1.150930-1750)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: MSI
    System Model: MS-7816
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/23/13 09:57:05 Ver: 04.06.05
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16324MB RAM
    Page File: 3117MB used, 29591MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Not Available
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.10240.16384 64bit Unicode
    simsjammy wrote: »
    in my opinion the sims 3 was a huge step down from 2, and the sims 4 is a huge step up from 3. it's opinion.

TS4 is not in the same class as the previous versions. It shouldn't be called The Sims 4.