Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any Way I Can Make A Used Code Work?

I Need a bit of advice here.
I bought a second hand copy of the Sims 4 from one of Amazon sellers, and the code does not work.
After contacting Origin with the problem, nothing has been sorted, I was told to contact Amazon, which I did, but they were puzzled as to how Origin would think they had "spare codes" and, frankly, so was I.
To summarize:
The code does not work because it has already been registered, or entered by the person who originally bought the game, so...EA? I also bought a second hand car and it works...all we had to do was for the old owner to fill a form and for me to fill another form, now the car is registered to me. Could not EA had thought about this and make it simple to transfer the game between owners? There is going to be a lot of disappointed second hand buyers.. Amazon has a few for sale, I told them about this code business, surely they might have known but the person I spoke to there didn't.
The code could simply be replaced for a new one by EA, why not? Why send me to Amazon? (just to pass the buck I assume...)
Last, I now have to send the game back to seller, I am not happy nor will the seller be. I have told Origin that I will not buy a new copy, and that it will be their loss because having the Sims 4 would mean buying things from the store, EP's and whatever else they sell but I guess they are making it difficult for me to spend my money, how nice of them!
Anyone else had this problem or have all of you bought a new game?

Comments

• ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    sorry @Omaira if you look below at terms of service you will see you are not purchasing a product like when you buy a music cd but rather a license to use the product. because of this its actually more on Amazon like say ebay to not allow such second hand products to be sold on their site.

the only bit of advice i can offer you is you could try another customer service at EA it has made a difference for some players in similar situation, its possible you could get a sympathetic agent i also know some have in the past sent proof of buying legally second hand to obtain a working code. and moving forward know most current games are like this, good luck
  • OmairaOmaira Posts: 666 Member
    Thanks ceejay402,
    The agent was very nice and I had no trouble with him and all the help he tried to give me but, no code... I know it's not like buying a car, I am just annoyed because it's a lot less than buying a car and seems more difficult to reach!
    It's a sad World when things go backwards...
    Amazon does sell a lot of second hand items and to be honest I totally agree with it, it makes money for the ordinary person and the company and I did not mind paying what I think is reasonable for this game, takes the big companies monopoly away from then too and that is another good thing! Free Enterprise!
    As for your advice to contact Origin again, I think I will this time I will put the cards on the table, after all for a new code (I can prove it was legally bought) I am willing to update and buy a couple of EP's , they might be able to sort it, I just don't want to send the game back.
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Codes can only be used once and once only.

I recommend that you get your money back if possible.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
    Good luck!
    Colton,
    Thanks for your post.
    Sadly if I can not get a code to make it work, that's what I will have to do.
    Last post I believe.. this is for ceejay and Colton as they reply with suggestions to my thread, I tried again today with EA help to see if they would issue me with a code but I wasn't lucky, they kept telling me to buy a new copy, which I am not going to do, and now it's "just because" two can be pig headed better than one.
    I have contacted Amazon and they are refunding me, I contacted the seller and he does not want the copy of the game back, he says it's not good to him if he can not sell it and he is not going to play the game so total loss for him.. shame EA... with all the money you make out of us..so here it is, looking at me.. all those silly sims smiling, useless, and I am so very annoyed.
    When the game goes down in price to a reasonable amount, I will buy it.. by them I will have cooled down a bit too, hot tempered being one of my traits!
    Thank you both, I followed both your advice and I did get my money back!
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @Omaira - we've seen Origin sales on the game now and then. Keep your eyes out for those! Often someone will post about them here, and EA and Origin generally do on Twitter too.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Thanks luthienrising
    I had problems with Origin, it would not complete the purchase due to something or another (I'm computer dummy) that's why I like my disc.. foolproof!
    I've followed one of the "advisers advice" and cleared my computer of corrupted files and all else (hopefully nothing important! I know I'm capable of damage!) so now I can try again, they also offered a bit of a discount as a token for not giving me a code, I'm not sure if it's still there though but it might be worth trying..
    Thanks, you looking into this helps my temper to cool down, nice people matter!
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    There are massive sales on sims 4 base game (and selected eps) most of the time. This is on origin.
    You can't use a code twice, most companies make games like this now. Previously it was harder to do.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
    So sorry :(@Omaira the only other thing I can offer is holiday sales have in the past have been some of the games biggest mark down.
    Thank you all,
    I'll be looking for the sales and I hope to be able to download from Origin, I'm one of those dinosaurs stuck in a time loop that still prefers my faithful disc.. as a matter of fact I'm just going to have a look now and if anything is good value I'll buy it, I don't mind so much for the game itself as to be honest I still playing the sims 3 and loving it six years on.. (as I said a dino, a T Rex when I get annoyed for that matter!) but a visit to the dentist has cool me down and perhaps is time for me to look around and find the game that I can play rather than but my head against a wall.
    But I really feel for those people who bought the game and do not want it anymore and would like to re sell it. I understand that EA offers a refund but what if it was a present and you don't want to tell the giver to return it?
    I don't know, it might be a way to stop fraud copies and all that, but as usual some innocents are paying the price.