Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you miss recoloring?

Comments

• Options
    s1mszzangs1mszzang Posts: 797 Member
    edited November 2015
    unless it makes items all grey while loading i want it.... but if recolor tool makes everything grey 🐸🐸🐸🐸 like it did in th3 ? nah....
  • Options
    MrSimmisMrSimmis Posts: 1,693 Member
    Nah I moved on pretty easily! Another thing I don't miss was the crippling lag it created!
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

I really didn't think I would miss it. I actually thought I didn't need it because I play TS2 a lot but I missed it when Not in TS2. I had a hard time just making a house without it in TS4. :(

**CASt didn't create any lag. I might have been slow in rendering but no lag at all. :lol:
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I don't miss it even a little. It became the core focus of my gameplay in TS3 because I felt that there was never anything else for me to do in that game. Matching outfits and redesigning homes was my obsession. Just to show you how much it had changed my gameplay: it took me the entire run of the TS3 series for me to reach generation 10 with the family I was playing. In TS4, it's only been a little over a year and I'm about to start generation seven. I'm actually playing the game again! Live mode is where I want to be.

I'm actually glad to be free of CASt now for many reasons. Mainly, I just like that I can actually play the game and be fully engaged in the lives of my Sims again. I also like the challenge and realism of it. If I decide to redecorate a room in real life, I need to go out and pick wall colours and then find furniture and other furnishings that go with it. I can't go into Target and be like "Hey, I brought these curtains I was gonna use. Could you match the cushions exactly to these little flowers, and use this pattern, with this wood...." you see where I'm going.

It also leads to homes looking and feeling more authentic and real to me than the over-styled homes of TS3.
    Most of the time I miss the lol button. This time I actually miss disagree. Not that I don't believe you on a personal basis, but you make it sound like CASt compensated lack of gameplay and that most definitely isn't true (in fact, for me that's Sims 4). CASt doesn't stand between me and being engaged in the life of my sims. On the contrary, it's much harder to make them a house that has real personal touches. Favourite colour, favourite material, things like that.

Also I fail to see the realism. When I'm decorating my real life house, there are numerous stores I can go to. The choice in Sims 4 is so limited. Besides, being a shopper is just as realistic as being a designer. Playing Sims 4 is being a customer and going to Ikea with very limited choice (much more limited than the real Ikea, that also changes their collection every year), playing Sims 3 is being a designer. And that means you don't have to over-style a house, you can also make it old and under-styled. Just the way you want to. And then you put your sim in and start playing.

It wasn't so much that CASt compensated for lack of gameplay in general, it was that it was how *I* compensated for gameplay that didn't engage me. It was how I found a way to enjoy the game, because I really really wanted to. It's all personal taste, and mine is going to be different than yours.
    I didn't disagree with the personal part of your post, because you're not the only one who didn't like S3 gameplay and you're also not the only one who used the game for building only (or modelling only).

I disagree however when you state the reason you're glad CASt is out, is that now you can actually play the game and be fully engaged in the lives of my Sims again. As if there is a connection between the two. I also disagree being forced to choose from a limited amount of colours is realistic, especially when you are forced to combine a certain colour blankets with a certain colour frame when you choose a bed. That's not realistic at all. Realism is: a. being a designer who can create colours and patterns, or b. being a shopper who can go to a hundred different shops, being able to find colours that combine perfectly and next year the shop changes their collection. And if you can't find the right cushion for your sofa you buy some fabrics and sew them yourself. That's realism.

Another thing that strikes me - another subject - is how you state it took you the entire run of the TS3 series to reach generation 10 and in TS4 it's only been a little over a year and you're about to start generation seven. I played Sims 3 like a complete maniac for five years and I reached 20 generations when Sims 4 was released. That sounds like a lot, but I've only played this one family so in fact it isn't. The reason was, that there is so much to Sims 3, so much you can get out of every story, that I never was in a hurry. Playing seven generations in a year doesn't sound to me as if there was a lot to do. I often disable aging in Sims 3, when things go to fast, I want to enjoy my generations to the fullest. Quite often it took quite some time before children were even born in my game. So having seven generations in one year to me doesn't prove there's much more to this game than getting kids, age them and start a new generation..
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    s1mszzang wrote: »
    unless it makes items all grey while loading i want it.... but if recolor tool makes everything grey 🐸🐸🐸🐸 like it did in th3 ? nah....
    There's no difference in rendering a preset colour and a self created colour in the game. You'd notice. On my first computer I had this issue, but it took the whole lot some time to render, not just the surfaces I created myself.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    One of the biggest reasons I did not buy the game, besides no open world, missing base game features etc etc etc is no CAS+, no patterns. Who ever is in charge of the CAS of Sims4 does not even consider blends that will match when setting up their presets and has no style. It was horrible when I tried the freebie create a sim and again when I tried the trial. I have no desire to buy another game that I have to mod out the whazzo to play as well as provide style for my sims.
  • Options
    Sara74469Sara74469 Posts: 513 Member
    Not really.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    s1mszzang wrote: »
    There's no difference in rendering a preset colour and a self created colour in the game. You'd notice. On my first computer I had this issue, but it took the whole lot some time to render, not just the surfaces I created myself.

That is true. The computer specs/graphics cards did make a difference in rendering for me in TS3. :+1:

CASt doesn't cause Lag.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Yes. You are stuck with really terrible decorating choices, about 10 hair colors, very few choices in makeup -- removing this instead of optimizing it was, IMO, a huge mistake. It's one of the biggest reasons I'm back to Sims 3.
  • Options
    dmama1314dmama1314 Posts: 262 Member
    I don't miss it because it was ridiculously laggy. I do wish there was just a color wheel. Not all the fabrics and textures, but the wheel. I would like to have more color options for furniture without having to hunt down recolors.
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    VERY MUCH SO! Every single time I play. I love to build and decorate the interiors and the inability to re-color and patten swap is like a straight jacket. I still like the game but I will never love it without that aspect being returned at least in some fashion. AND I DON'T EVEN CARE IF IT'S FREE. I'd pay full EP price just for that alone. It's not going to happen but I would.
  • Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    Now that I think about it, no. I don't miss recolouring that much.
  • Options
    webdznrwebdznr Posts: 572 Member
    YES. And is one of the reasons I don't play 4 anymore.
    The Sims 4 :: Think 'inside' the box.
  • Options
    HeyYoDiscoNickHeyYoDiscoNick Posts: 463 Member
    I don't miss it even a little. It became the core focus of my gameplay in TS3 because I felt that there was never anything else for me to do in that game. Matching outfits and redesigning homes was my obsession. Just to show you how much it had changed my gameplay: it took me the entire run of the TS3 series for me to reach generation 10 with the family I was playing. In TS4, it's only been a little over a year and I'm about to start generation seven. I'm actually playing the game again! Live mode is where I want to be.

I'm actually glad to be free of CASt now for many reasons. Mainly, I just like that I can actually play the game and be fully engaged in the lives of my Sims again. I also like the challenge and realism of it. If I decide to redecorate a room in real life, I need to go out and pick wall colours and then find furniture and other furnishings that go with it. I can't go into Target and be like "Hey, I brought these curtains I was gonna use. Could you match the cushions exactly to these little flowers, and use this pattern, with this wood...." you see where I'm going.

It also leads to homes looking and feeling more authentic and real to me than the over-styled homes of TS3.
    Most of the time I miss the lol button. This time I actually miss disagree. Not that I don't believe you on a personal basis, but you make it sound like CASt compensated lack of gameplay and that most definitely isn't true (in fact, for me that's Sims 4). CASt doesn't stand between me and being engaged in the life of my sims. On the contrary, it's much harder to make them a house that has real personal touches. Favourite colour, favourite material, things like that.

Also I fail to see the realism. When I'm decorating my real life house, there are numerous stores I can go to. The choice in Sims 4 is so limited. Besides, being a shopper is just as realistic as being a designer. Playing Sims 4 is being a customer and going to Ikea with very limited choice (much more limited than the real Ikea, that also changes their collection every year), playing Sims 3 is being a designer. And that means you don't have to over-style a house, you can also make it old and under-styled. Just the way you want to. And then you put your sim in and start playing.

It wasn't so much that CASt compensated for lack of gameplay in general, it was that it was how *I* compensated for gameplay that didn't engage me. It was how I found a way to enjoy the game, because I really really wanted to. It's all personal taste, and mine is going to be different than yours.
    I didn't disagree with the personal part of your post, because you're not the only one who didn't like S3 gameplay and you're also not the only one who used the game for building only (or modelling only).

I disagree however when you state the reason you're glad CASt is out, is that now you can actually play the game and be fully engaged in the lives of my Sims again. As if there is a connection between the two. I also disagree being forced to choose from a limited amount of colours is realistic, especially when you are forced to combine a certain colour blankets with a certain colour frame when you choose a bed. That's not realistic at all. Realism is: a. being a designer who can create colours and patterns, or b. being a shopper who can go to a hundred different shops, being able to find colours that combine perfectly and next year the shop changes their collection. And if you can't find the right cushion for your sofa you buy some fabrics and sew them yourself. That's realism.

Another thing that strikes me - another subject - is how you state it took you the entire run of the TS3 series to reach generation 10 and in TS4 it's only been a little over a year and you're about to start generation seven. I played Sims 3 like a complete maniac for five years and I reached 20 generations when Sims 4 was released. That sounds like a lot, but I've only played this one family so in fact it isn't. The reason was, that there is so much to Sims 3, so much you can get out of every story, that I never was in a hurry. Playing seven generations in a year doesn't sound to me as if there was a lot to do. I often disable aging in Sims 3, when things go to fast, I want to enjoy my generations to the fullest. Quite often it took quite some time before children were even born in my game. So having seven generations in one year to me doesn't prove there's much more to this game than getting kids, age them and start a new generation..

Again, we're different. In my case, I cycle through more generations simply because I'm playing in live mode more. And I never turn off ageing. I like that time is a factor in a Sim's life, and have since it was introduced in TS2. I like that I have a set amount of time with my Sims. It makes each moment feel more special. And I've actually been taking my time starting the next generation relative to what I used to in 3. I've been enjoying long, drawn out courtships, and waiting to have children until it felt “right" for that particular family.

In TS3 I'd rush to the next generation, always having my Sims marry their high school sweetheart the minute they aged up to YA, and having a baby immediately after. TS4 marks the first time I've ever had a Sim have their first child in the adult stage.

I definitely rushed through generations in TS3 because I had nothing better to do. I always kept thinking “this generation will finally be engaging and fun...no wait, this one!" The reason why I didn't rack up a million generations was because I kept leaving the game to recolour something, or I'd just not play at all for months and months.

You seem to really want to prove me “wrong" somehow. That's how it comes across at least. I get that you feel that TS3 has more to offer. When you look at the facts and list numbers of features side by side it definitely would seem that way. But even with all of it's various expansions and features there was nothing in it for me. It always felt empty. For whatever reason it didn't have the thing that made me want to play. So no matter what they heaped on top of it, the game still wasn't fun to me.

I've said before that the TS4 basegame was better for me than TS3 with all of its expansions. You can throw facts and figures and your own perspective at me all you want, but that's how I feel and my feelings are valid. They're different from yours, different from a lot of people's, but you can't prove them right or wrong. You can't proclaim one superior and the other inferior. We're just different, we see things differently, and that's totally great!
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    Strangely no..
    I loved it in the sims 3 and used it all the time that everything was recolored so when I heard it would not be in the base game I was really upset and it was nearly a deal breaker for me. But I haven't had any issues at all in fact I like it alot more without cas because alot of the time the patterns looked really weird and distorted but with sims 4 alot of the objects have a more cleaner and organised pattern. I probably would like it more in CAS though but I'm perfectly happy without it.
  • Options
    Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    In my brief experience with TS4, yes - it was pretty much unbearable. I didn't think I used Create-a-Style that much, but apparently I do.

There are just so many times when I simply want two different items to match, or I want a colour to be a little darker/lighter, whatever. Not having CasT makes building and decorating really aggravating.
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Options
    KaelKael Posts: 2,197 Member
    Yes, it's so annoying and just cuts the creativity and versatility in half. I used to buy the store sets(clothing mostly) for Sims 3 and do mockups/recolors to show what you could do with the items. But with this new system there's no point because everything looks the same.

In the system of 3 you really had the ability to transform some of the clothing into something completely unexpected with coloring/patterns. It is sorely missed in the Sims 4.
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    Not that much really. I mean, it was super great as a tool for creating stuff, almost crafting, but for the tiny modifications needed in a day to day gameplay it was quite heavy and slow and somehow, at least for me, it just used to break my immersion until I started to avoid editing anything :/
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    bekkasan wrote: »
    One of the biggest reasons I did not buy the game, besides no open world, missing base game features etc etc etc is no CAS+, no patterns. Who ever is in charge of the CAS of Sims4 does not even consider blends that will match when setting up their presets and has no style. It was horrible when I tried the freebie create a sim and again when I tried the trial. I have no desire to buy another game that I have to mod out the whazzo to play as well as provide style for my sims.
    Agreed. Too bad they couldn't consult a professional stylist/designer. Maybe the presets would be more tasteful, at the least.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    jusMehjusMeh Posts: 424 Member
    luvalphvle wrote: »
    I still haven't moved into the Sims 4 yet. I probably will eventually, but I'll wait until there are more EPs and stuff out. Anyway, one of my favorite things in the Sims 3 is the ability to recolor. Do you personally miss that in the Sims 4 or is it something you're fine without?

I couldn't stand to play this game w/out CASt. It's one reason I haven't bought TS4 yet.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yes, why I've been trying to learn how to do that myself.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Yes!!! So much! Especially with the furniture. I don't really mind the clothes, I use a lot of CC, so I've got a great variety of different outfits with different colors in my game, but this doesn't happen with furniture and I'm a bit OCD when it comes to matching styles and stuff. But this doesn't happen as often as it did when I began playing the game last year, so I guess you'll get accustomed to it as well. :)
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Not at all. I found CaST a chore, I don't want to have to make cc each time I spot a badly dressed townie, or each time I want to add a room to a house. I love that they've gone the other way in TS4, with the gallery and the premade room and clothes, it's really easy to make Sims and houses. And if I want more creativity, I can still make a cc outside of the game.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    What I gather from this thread:

Those who don't miss CASt - too slow/lagging, too much work, or don't care for creativity
    Those who do miss CASt - need for more creativity/too limited, can't get around the restriction

Not surprising. If it heavily slowed down your game or you're not an artsy person, of course you wouldn't care for it.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Yeah I was really bummed out when i heard the color wheel was gone..I love using it for clothes and wall colors and furniture.
    giphy.gif