Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Asylum Challenge

Comments

• Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    PhilErsk wrote: »
    Want to give this challenge a try but awful at building houses!! Any have a good starter house in their Gallery for this challenge?

@PhilErsk I downloaded the Rutledge Asylum made by Zakeira from the gallery. It was great for this challenge. You might need to make changes depending on which difficulty you are doing it on. It has 8 beds, but not sure which difficulty it is set up for, medium maybe? I don't recall.
  • ChromaggiaMagChromaggiaMag Posts: 31 Member
    My asylum unfortunately went by the wayside during the great uninstall/reinstall. I had some game issues (not all related to the asylum) so I deleted literally everything and did a fresh install to get a clean file again. When I get done with some other challenges I'll definitely have a go at the asylum challenge again.
  • kristinepunktumkristinepunktum Posts: 166 Member
    Oh, this is definately the next challenge I'll do!! I loved the Sims 3 version, and am currently building a psychiatric hospital that looks like a rehab facility, only I'll make it a bit grungy and icky. So what's the word on dishwashers - do they count as sinks? I wouldn't hope so, seeing as the dishwasher is ony able to do one thing, while a sink is able to do two things at the time..

I'll start recording this as soon as my Tiny Living Challenge is done!
    Also, it looks kinda silly having those Outdoors Retreat mattresses as beds (cheapest ones), but maybe I'll find some recolor that makes it look less... Campy. :smiley:
    My Youtube Channel
    Current challenges: The History Challenge, the 10 Baby Mama Challenge (Sims 3) and of course; The Legacy Challenge.

kEVfgAW.jpg
  • RoryPlaysTheSimsRoryPlaysTheSims Posts: 5,330 Member
    @simswithcheese I was interested in starting this challenge and was wondering what the final word was on the dishwashers. Are they allowed? Are they considered a sink?
  • FizzstixFizzstix Posts: 990 Member
    My Asylum challenge is pretty much ending. My main sim has completed her 2 aspirations (curator and painter), and got her career to level 10 (painter) basically 1 day before she is "due" to pass away from old age. I started on easy level, but tweaked it a little for the medium, by taking away beds and chairs when 3 of my inmates died from drowning. I also incorporated a little of my own personal flair. My main sim was nearing elder and I didn't want her genetics/legacy to die with her, so I found her a mate (Turned out to be Alexander Goth) and got her pregnant just before she turned elder. I have kept her child (a girl named Rose, that pretty much looks like her, same color hair and eyes), with her and aged her when the game said it was her birthday to a child. My insane sims are going to die very soon.. their age bars are starting to glow, and I was afraid the game would take away her daughter since she is still a child and has about 4 days before she comes a teen, so I got my main sim married to Alexander and moved him in. Apparently he has worked his way up the Champion Gamer career because he's already level 10 in that career. (I play with MCC mod, for story progression of the NPCs in my town.) When the rest of the inmates die, I plan to pretty much end the challenge and save Alexander and his daughter to my gallery to be able to possibly play them again at a later time.

I found this challenge fun to play. It is odd not micromanaging the other sims in the house. It was hard watching them drown in the pool. All 3 of them decided to go swimming when they were tired, and I guess couldn't figure out how to get out of the pool. They all just young adults still when it happened. I kept their tombstones in the back yard and they frequented the house and went crazy breaking things. It helped my main sim get her handiness up to level 7 and half. Rarely did I replace the items broken. I always had her repair. The simolean situation is very well off. They have acquired 102k. Three of the 4 remaining inmates have attained level 6 oracle career, and the 4th has level 5. I picked the path of oracle because it paid less simoleans than the other path. The relationship status between the inmates is pretty much all very neutral. They were constantly yelling and insulting each other, and then they'd chat and bring the red back to neutral. It's pretty humorous to be honest.
  • RLRL Posts: 305 Member
    I think I broke the rules. Basically, my story is that Clarissa McKinley (my main Sim) goes insane after a series of mishaps at art school, so pursues the Painter Extraordinaire aspiration in the asylum. There she meets another inmate, Thomas Trust, who is insane, evil and romantic. Basically, they were both nearing adult stage and after Clarissa finishes her aspirations they are going to move out together, and because she had so many satisfaction points (1 1/2 aspirations!) I kind of made them both drink a youth potion so I could play 'life after asylum'. Is that OK or have I failed?
    Check out the Sutherland ISBI!
    (Disclaimer: This blog is mainly an outlet for my weird humour)
    Click anyway! ⬇️️⬇️️⬇️️
    w2HyQcq.png
  • bellasim14bellasim14 Posts: 1 New Member
    during the challenge can we use our whim points to collect reward traits?
  • RLRL Posts: 305 Member
    Back on the thread! Clarissa and Thomas did move out together, and I moved them into the Crick Cabana lot, where I proceeded to make them have one two three four five SIX kids (i.e. I filled up the house to the max). He's almost an elder, but she's got longer 'cause they don't age while pregnant.

Their two eldest, sons Rhys and Jackson, have aged up into teens, and they have two sets of twin daughters, who are still children (Wisteria and Quartz, and Tabitha and Jada). It's amusing to see them talk to themselves and act all crazy while doing the dishes and performing daily work tasks.

My story now for them is that they have no idea how to function normally, so had way too many kids for their house size (they still live in Crick Cabana), and are now desperately trying to keep it together, keep their jobs and have functional relationships.

(I also discovered that there is an interaction called Apologise...In Bed when Clarissa was mean to Thomas and I wanted to get their bars back up).
    Check out the Sutherland ISBI!
    (Disclaimer: This blog is mainly an outlet for my weird humour)
    Click anyway! ⬇️️⬇️️⬇️️
    w2HyQcq.png
  • pinkdiamntepinkdiamnte Posts: 9 New Member
    Hi guys! Loving reading as much of this as I can,it's such a good task!

Could anyone tell me please if cleaning is allowed? And I cant repair an item unless my sim needs it right?

Thank you in advance :D
    I started this Challenge! Yay! So excited! :)

https://youtu.be/LIUDw_fC9Yg
  • AlexxkaAlexxka Posts: 14 New Member
    Can I do it with teens and children? I understand, none of them should be related, but I thinkk it would be fun if it was a crazy orphanage :D
    Alexxka wrote: »
    Can I do it with teens and children? I understand, none of them should be related, but I thinkk it would be fun if it was a crazy orphanage :D

That sounds like a great alteration to the challenge!
  • PunkyMonkey101PunkyMonkey101 Posts: 53 Member
    So I just started this challenge yesterday and everything was going alright, kinda, until bills began to be due. I really love this challenge but its a bit difficult, not that I'm complaining. :D
    Hi, my origin ID is Jokersandwich. :#
  • BPZKailaBPZKaila Posts: 1 New Member
    I'll be LPing an asylum challenge with a theme (to be announced on my channel - shh!). I just got my spreadsheet finished. xD There was no way I'd be able to keep track with just my feeble mind ehehe. Looking forward to it!
  • Sparkle_and_SimSparkle_and_Sim Posts: 2 New Member
    I know the rules say no patients can be related, but what about spouses? I'm making Joker and Harley Quinn as non-main characters and I want them to be spouses before we start.
  • ToblieToblie Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited February 2016
    Can we buy trait with out satisfaction rewards. I'm have one aspiration down and 3 to go and was wondering if steel bladder and stuff like that was allowed?

Edit it's ok I found the answer.
  • simplydawnsimplydawn Posts: 181 Member
    edited February 2016
    I'd like to start this challenge and was wondering if there is a modified rules summary out there that indicates what the current rules are? I'm now reading through 15 pages of posts dating back to 2014 and trying to find answers to questions I have; it seems as if some rules have changed since the original posting but there's so much information that it's a bit daunting to keep track of everything.

I was also wondering about a a few specific things: 1) Do chess chairs count as two of the maximum allowable seats or no? and 2) I've downloaded an asylum from the gallery but some items aren't the cheapest (like the bookshelves). Should I downgrade everything to stay within the rules? Also, to stay cheapest of all, do I use the children's items?

I've also watched a few LP videos from different Simmers on YT and I guess not all of the rules are followed exactly (extra seats, more expensive furnishings, etc.) and I'm not sure what's okay to do and what's not. Edit: Also, what about using cheaper items from packs - i.e., Gordian Cot (OR) and Solitary Sleeper (GTW) beds?

Edit: I bulldozed the lovely gallery asylum I had downloaded and opted to build a smaller/cheaper place just to save on bills. Another question I have watching LP vids, does one sink (medium) mean kitchen or bath but not both?

Thank you.
    Post edited by simplydawn on
  • DeeSanKeyDeeSanKey Posts: 12 New Member
    This is the first time I have been on the sims forums since the sims 2 was the biggest thing out, and am excited to start this challenge!

I will probably end up documenting the challenge through a video series, haven't decided yet.

Is there like a losing point though? Like if somebody dies, you lose the challenge or something?
  • SkyeChimesSkyeChimes Posts: 376 Member
    I have been thinking of starting this challenge and have been trying to work out rules for myself with get together content. I have decided that I will allow my asylum household to have a club and that I would treat it as if it was group therapy. My controllable sim must be the leader. Only household members may be in the club and it must be invite only- absolutely no one else no exceptions. The club may only meet three times a week and each meeting may only last up to 2 sim hours. At least One "to-do" club activity must have negative consequences (like be mean to everyone, or sabotage objects) and at least two "not-to-do" activity must be something that is normally a desired outcome (like clean or garden). Once club rules are set they may not be changed again until the controllable sim completes a milestone of their aspiration, at that time since they have made progress on their therapy goals they may make 2 changes to the rules. The reason I'm being so restrictive is that clubs are really powerful in how they alter behavior of non-controlled sims - but at the same time I want to play with it in an asylum because I would love to have a club that causes more chaos - also I like the idea of group therapy changing the other patients behavior.
    DeeSanKey wrote: »
    This is the first time I have been on the sims forums since the sims 2 was the biggest thing out, and am excited to start this challenge!

I will probably end up documenting the challenge through a video series, haven't decided yet.

Is there like a losing point though? Like if somebody dies, you lose the challenge or something?

As far as I know, there are no penalties for anyone dying. If that was the case, I would have lost points twice. 2 of my roommates died in the pool. Apparently they weren't wise enough to get out when they were tired.
  • MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member
    I started an easy mode game. Doing freelance botanist first.

I just realized that means I'll have to grow a cowplant.

I sense dead sims in the future >:)
  • MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member
    edited February 2016
    Ok I had to share this. One of my crazies has the new klepto trait and every day he steals something from work. Usually it's just dirty dishes for some reason but occasionally he'll bring a book home. The titles of the books: 'How I Left Your Father' and 'The Frequently Ending Story' :D

@simswithcheese question, can we call the repair man on easy level?
    Post edited by MocaJava on
    dawnderee wrote: »
    I'd like to start this challenge and was wondering if there is a modified rules summary out there that indicates what the current rules are? I'm now reading through 15 pages of posts dating back to 2014 and trying to find answers to questions I have; it seems as if some rules have changed since the original posting but there's so much information that it's a bit daunting to keep track of everything.

I was also wondering about a a few specific things: 1) Do chess chairs count as two of the maximum allowable seats or no? and 2) I've downloaded an asylum from the gallery but some items aren't the cheapest (like the bookshelves). Should I downgrade everything to stay within the rules? Also, to stay cheapest of all, do I use the children's items?

I've also watched a few LP videos from different Simmers on YT and I guess not all of the rules are followed exactly (extra seats, more expensive furnishings, etc.) and I'm not sure what's okay to do and what's not. Edit: Also, what about using cheaper items from packs - i.e., Gordian Cot (OR) and Solitary Sleeper (GTW) beds?

Edit: I bulldozed the lovely gallery asylum I had downloaded and opted to build a smaller/cheaper place just to save on bills. Another question I have watching LP vids, does one sink (medium) mean kitchen or bath but not both?

Thank you.

I can help with a few of these questions. :)

1) For the chess chairs, @simswithcheese said, "Chairs used for chess tables and computers don't count towards the total number of chairs."

2) As for the bookcase, I am using the bookcase that came in the Asylum I downloaded from the Gallery. Since it isn't a skill building item, I'm thinking it doesn't matter about how cheap the bookcases are.

3) As for the sink, yes, only one sink. I deleted mine out of the bathroom and I only have one sink in the entire Asylum and it's in the kitchen.

I hope this helps. @dawnderee

• Laq810Laq810 Posts: 8 New Member
    Just started this challenge last night. Super excited about it. After watching a few LP versions on Youtube, I'm thinking about recording the series as well. I haven't made a video for The Sims since TS2, so this should be fun, lol.
  • simplydawnsimplydawn Posts: 181 Member
    dawnderee wrote: »

Thank you.

I can help with a few of these questions. :)

1) For the chess chairs, @simswithcheese said, "Chairs used for chess tables and computers don't count towards the total number of chairs."

2) As for the bookcase, I am using the bookcase that came in the Asylum I downloaded from the Gallery. Since it isn't a skill building item, I'm thinking it doesn't matter about how cheap the bookcases are.

3) As for the sink, yes, only one sink. I deleted mine out of the bathroom and I only have one sink in the entire Asylum and it's in the kitchen.

I hope this helps. @dawnderee

I did the cheap bookcase (now upgraded) and only one sink so I'm good there. BUT chess chairs don't count?!!! I've been playing this challenge for several weeks thinking they counted. I will go home TONIGHT and add two more seats. My Sims thank you, Rory. :)