Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

OS X 10.11 El Capitan official release thread

Comments

• glangendorfer128glangendorfer128 Posts: 40 Member
    edited October 2015
    Hello, I've been having issues with my game since El Capitan as well. At first the game would still run but all the colors would be wrong and I thought I could fix it by doing all the regular troubleshooting but it didn't work; finally I was able to fix it by changing the resolution. Except now the game crashes immediately when I get to the main start screen. Well, I don't know if I would say "crashes," but my computer will just shut down and restart itself.

I only own the digital deluxe base game, no EPs, SPs, or GPs. Upgraded from OS X Yosemite.

Version 10.11.1
    Macbook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010)
    Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 288 MB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited October 2015
    Hello, I've been having issues with my game since El Capitan as well. At first the game would still run but all the colors would be wrong and I thought I could fix it by doing all the regular troubleshooting but it didn't work; finally I was able to fix it by changing the resolution. Except now the game crashes immediately when I get to the main start screen. Well, I don't know if I would say "crashes," but my computer will just shut down and restart itself.

I only own the digital deluxe base game, no EPs, SPs, or GPs. Upgraded from OS X Yosemite.

Version 10.11.1
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

When you say it crashes and restarts itself, are you getting any error messages on the screen? That sound like a Kernel Panic. Your Mac has shut itself down to prevent damage. This can quite often simply be due to overheating. Are you making sure your MBP is slightly elevated so air can circulate underneath?

Have you set the graphics options too high? Try dragging the Options.ini file from Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 onto your desktop and relaunch the game.

Could you possibly have dodgy CC/Mods installed? If so, have you tried playing without them?
    Post edited by BluebellFlora on
    apple-signature.png
    edited October 2015

Version 10.11.1
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

When you say it crashes and restarts itself, are you getting any error messages on the screen? That sound like a Kernel Panic. Your Mac has shut itself down to prevent damage. This can quite often simply be due to overheating. Are you making sure your MBP is slightly elevated so air can circulate underneath?

Have you set the graphics options too high? Try dragging the Options.ini file from Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 onto your desktop and relaunch the game.

Could you possibly have dodgy CC/Mods installed? If so, have you tried playing without them?

I know it's a kernel panic, I've researched all about it because it happens from time to time. I have no cc or mods at all, but I will try removing the file to see if that helps (and I assume you mean Sims 4 not Sims 3).

I should also mention that all of my graphic settings are set to low.
    Yes, of course I meant TS4, lol I'll edit my post - sorry!

Kernel Panics are not good. You should get it checked out if it's happening regularly, and not just with TS4. Have you enabled Laptop Mode in game?
    apple-signature.png
    edited October 2015
    Yes, of course I meant TS4, lol I'll edit my post - sorry!

Kernel Panics are not good. You should get it checked out if it's happening regularly, and not just with TS4. Have you enabled Laptop Mode in game?

It used to happen with other apps, but I fixed that and now they only happen when I open TS4. See, I changed some of my graphic settings in-game (i don't remember whether I left laptop mode on or off, it's on I believe), but now I can't get to my settings before the computer restarts.

Before we go any further, is it linked to El Capitan? I've read some other posts and threads about the problems it has caused, and it's still unclear to me whether ts4 is compatible with it yet. Are we still awaiting a patch from EA?
    @BluebellFlora

My problem is resolved, thank you so much for your help. Moving that file allowed me to change my settings and the resolution has to be different...it will take some getting used to but at least I can play now!
    Deleting the Options.ini file sets your graphics options back to default so you should be able to get back into the game again.

I don't believe your problem is El Capitan, most users are playing with no issues on a variety of different model Macs. The one major issue with El Capitan is for those with NVIDA 6xx series graphics cards with 512 MB RAM (as stated in the second post). You don't have that. You do have an NVIDIA 330M though, does it have 256 MB RAM or 512 MB RAM?

Your Mac must have an issue somewhere to have been suffering from kernel panics.
    apple-signature.png
    @BluebellFlora

My problem is resolved, thank you so much for your help. Moving that file allowed me to change my settings and the resolution has to be different...it will take some getting used to but at least I can play now!

Great :) I think you were maybe pushing your Mac beyond it's capabilities and potentially damaging it through overheating, that's why it was shutting down.
    apple-signature.png
    Deleting the Options.ini file sets your graphics options back to default so you should be able to get back into the game again.

I don't believe your problem is El Capitan, most users are playing with no issues on a variety of different model Macs. The one major issue with El Capitan is for those with NVIDA 6xx series graphics cards with 512 MB RAM (as stated in the second post). You don't have that. You do have an NVIDIA 330M though, does it have 256 MB RAM or 512 MB RAM?

Your Mac must have an issue somewhere to have been suffering from kernel panics.

It has 512 MB. Could you post a link to one of those threads? I saw it but I didn't look into it BC I didn't know at the time if I had that or not.
    It's on this thread, first page, second post. Your game works on low settings, the affected users' games don't work at all.
    apple-signature.png
  • yoda65yoda65 Posts: 3,410 Member
    Hi! Hope a solution will be found for those with NVIDA graphics cards problems.

With my old Mac Sims4 works great, no crashes! :)
    works much better than the Sims3

El Capitan 10.11
    iMac (21.5 pouces, mi-2011) 2,7 GHz Intel Core i5
    16 Go 1333 MHz DDR3
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 Mo
    27-11-2015_185647_zpsyfowoxwm.png
    Gallery link - I wish Toddlers, Weather, Pets… in Sims 4
  • aka_moiaka_moi Posts: 86 Member
    Have been experience similar problems since upgrading to El Capitan. It starts to glitch after about 15 minutes and then crashes.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
    2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB
  • aka_moiaka_moi Posts: 86 Member
    > @aka_moi said:
    > Have been experience similar problems since upgrading to El Capitan. It starts to glitch after about 15 minutes and then crashes.
    >
    > iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
    > 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    > 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB
    >

Ok. So, I repaired my game, deleted all the old save files and started a new save file fresh. After 30 minutes. I haven't had the problems. So fingers crossed.
  • ShaunBowersShaunBowers Posts: 24 New Member
    Any updates on this yet? Missing my game quite a bit uh
  • SimGuruJanitorSimGuruJanitor Posts: 13 SimGuru (retired)
    Hey Folks,

Thank you for all the information.

We’ll be releasing an update in December that should address many of these issues.

Additionally, Nvidia recently released updated drivers for their 600 series GPUs that we believe is relevant. If you know how to update your drivers, we’d greatly appreciate hearing back from you if your issue was resolved. Most Mac players will not get these updates until Apple incorporates them into an official release, but we do not know when they will do that.

Many thanks!
    Hey Folks,

Thank you for all the information.

We’ll be releasing an update in December that should address many of these issues.

Additionally, Nvidia recently released updated drivers for their 600 series GPUs that we believe is relevant. If you know how to update your drivers, we’d greatly appreciate hearing back from you if your issue was resolved. Most Mac players will not get these updates until Apple incorporates them into an official release, but we do not know when they will do that.

Many thanks!

Thanks for the update. Shame it's taking so long, the game has been unplayable since the end of September for those affected.

All graphics updates come from Apple. It is not possible to update from NVIDIA as Apple write their own version of the drivers and bundle them in OS updates.
    apple-signature.png
  • ShaunBowersShaunBowers Posts: 24 New Member
    > @SimGuruJanitor said:
    > Hey Folks,
    >
    > Thank you for all the information.
    >
    > We’ll be releasing an update in December that should address many of these issues.
    >
    > Additionally, Nvidia recently released updated drivers for their 600 series GPUs that we believe is relevant. If you know how to update your drivers, we’d greatly appreciate hearing back from you if your issue was resolved. Most Mac players will not get these updates until Apple incorporates them into an official release, but we do not know when they will do that.
    >
    > Many thanks!

December? Uh, well it's better than never. Thanks for the update and y'all working to try fix it :smile:
  • ShadilyShadily Posts: 11 New Member
    Well, thank you. Hope we can keep playing. :( Until not see, not believe... haha :persevere:
  • FigwitFigwit Posts: 1,072 Member
    Hi guys. I am having trouble with Origin. I am using El Capitan 10.11.1 on 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7.

I am not sure if this belongs here because up to a couple of weeks ago, it was working on El Capitan. Then it just stopped. I can't remember anything happening to cause it not to work.

My problem is that I cannot load my friends' list in Origin. I just get the spinning cursor and then it times out with an error message eventually.
    Other functions seem to be working or I haven't yet discovered that they aren't.

I have removed Origin and reinstalled. I did a complete removal (thanks to Bluebell Flora's instructions on her site).

The friends' list works fine on my Windows computer so it can't be my account.

I am not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions?
    @Figwit

Which version of Origin are you using? The latest is 9.10.2.4863 - 398079 :)
    apple-signature.png
  • FigwitFigwit Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited November 2015
    You know I knew as soon as I posted that it would fix itself :) I have been putting off posting for a week or more but Murphy never lets me down.

I opened the main application to check the version and I saw there was a zip file in there for an update with today's date. I closed Origin and restarted and then it updated. Now it is working. Doh!

So thanks. Can ignore this now :)

Glad to have my friends list back though.
  • princess_megan89princess_megan89 Posts: 3 New Member
    Since installing OS X El Capitan games takes ages to load. When finally loads into game within household there is a serious lag in commands.

OS X El Capitan - Version 10.11.1
    MacBook pro (retina, 15 inch, Mid 2014)
    Processor - 2.2 GHz intel Core i7
    Memory - 16 GG 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics - Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I have get to work, Kitchen stuff, Spooky stuff, Patio stuff.

Game currently unplayable to lag in game.
    Since installing OS X El Capitan games takes ages to load. When finally loads into game within household there is a serious lag in commands.

OS X El Capitan - Version 10.11.1
    MacBook pro (retina, 15 inch, Mid 2014)
    Processor - 2.2 GHz intel Core i7
    Memory - 16 GG 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics - Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I have get to work, Kitchen stuff, Spooky stuff, Patio stuff.

Game currently unplayable to lag in game.

Can you try a clean game by moving your Sims 4 folder from Documents > Electronic Arts onto your desktop and reload the game? Repairing the game may help too.

apple-signature.png
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    Glad that the issues will be fixed in December. I haven't updated to El Captain yet cause I was seeing that the game isn't exactly too happy with the update right now.
    1FKDfKj.png
    Simfan923 wrote: »
    Glad that the issues will be fixed in December. I haven't updated to El Captain yet cause I was seeing that the game isn't exactly too happy with the update right now.

It's great but not if you have one of the affected NVIDIA cards!
    apple-signature.png