Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

OMG! Metro UK talks about the problems of The Sims 4 and his team!

Comments

• Options
    johnny49johnny49 Posts: 82 Member
    What Erpe is actually doing is keeping this thread alive so that more and more simmers will read the article that sparkfairy wrote. So keep on arguing Erpe! Good job.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    johnny49 wrote: »
    What Erpe is actually doing is keeping this thread alive so that more and more simmers will read the article that sparkfairy wrote. So keep on arguing Erpe! Good job.

I don't even know what this thread is about anymore. Hopefully sparkfairy does.

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

I don't even know what this thread is about anymore. Hopefully sparkfairy does.

This thread is now about your cute kitty avatar :p
  • Options
    CherbitDipCherbitDip Posts: 116 Member
    Erpe didn't like Sims 2 or 3 either because they were too "shallow". I'm struggling to understand the thinking behind defending a publisher that has went down a route that he/she clearly does not enjoy, so much they've already said it's unlikely they will enjoy Sims 5 if it ever comes out! However, all entitled to our own opinion and all that...
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited October 2015
    bekkasan wrote: »
    Ya know, it is kinda like talking with a brick wall. Some folks just argue for the sake of arguing and that is all I see with some posts and certain posters.

It really is a shame as I know that one particular person does not even like the game because they admitted they don't and don't play it. I don't understand the support for a company that does not deserve or need the support. Maybe they have shares and don't want the money to go down? They have enough of the kiss ups in the company that tell the PTB's what they want to hear, rather than the truth.

EA is a large company, they can spend their money on portajohns if they want to instead of fixing any of their games. But, as customers if we want changes with future games they need to hear our issues and complaints with the current game and that is what we are doing and that is what this person does not seem to understand or believe that it will do any good. I'm happy playing Sims3. I would like for Sims 5 to be better than Sims 3. I would like to know that my comments help, but, if it does not I can say I tried. I can say that I tried over and over again to get them to understand what we want in a game. I will continue to try over and over until I decided to give up. It is not that persons place to tell me to give it up. Anywhoo...they are on ignore now. My first ignore as I can't bear to read anymore of the drivel.

I just see the name and don't read it. I had it on ignore for a couple of days, but people quoting it made that move a pointless move. So, I removed the ignore and just don't read it now. For some reason, it's easier to ignore when there is no wonder or temptation over what's been said other than the fact that it was simply said.

@Miamine That was an interesting clip. I saw a lot of the same shallow crossover in another game we have been discussing for some time now. One thing that really clicked with me was "How the game tried to do a lot of things, but none of it with any real success or sense of focus." I think this is what my issue is. The bolded part speaks volumes to me as I have been feeling like things are slapped together in a senseless way.

In many ways, it feels as if the developers are grasping at straws, tossing what they grasped into the air, and then trying to build something out of things that don't always make sense when they're put together.

Take the emotions, for example. They are driven by two parts that make no sense when they're put together. For some reason, they thought it would be a good idea to use them as buffs triggered by traits and scenarios. They also thought it would be a good idea to use them as buffs triggered by decorations. Why they thought this would work is beyond my comprehension seeing as they often cancel each other out and make the entire emotional system dysfunctional. The first part makes sense to me. I feel emotions should be driven 1) by personality, and 2) by events that would trigger such emotions based on personality. It should not, however, be overwritten by a nicely decorated room.

Adding ghosts and family trees are another example. Yes, they added them, but they also felt no need to protect them from culling, making both additions completely pointless to add in the first place.

I recall them saying sometime near the beginning that they took the best parts from each game and decided to go with a reboot to bring us a fresh experience—I've already mentioned that I don't hang onto things, and I'm sure I'm not quoting word-for-word, but I do recall something along those lines being said. I just can't reference it. It also appears that this is exactly what they did, but again, the end result feels like they took the best parts, trimmed them down to the skeletal level, slapped them together without really knowing how or why they were doing it, and presented us with something truly whacky and crazy. Weirder stories—Yes—considering none of it makes sense.

My personal perception of the game when it first came out has been about simulating life. It's true, we really couldn't, but The Sims brought us close to it, and that was the first glimpse of many possibilities to me.

My interpretation about simulating life is about good and bad. It is about consequences and rewards. Creating my own scenarios and building my own vision of what life I would like to create and control. It doesn't have to be about reality, but reality plays a big part. I prefer to control several lives and treat them as a whole together. Others like to control single families and watch their generations grow. Whereas, others like to build worlds or homes we feel more at home in before placing our uniquely created sims in to play either of those ways. Telling stories became a pleasant side-effect to this ability to build and create. We could create an entire stage and place our own characters in it to be the stars of whatever story we were telling to ourselves or to others.

Unfortunately, much of that was taken away. I don't really care how or why it was taken, because the reality is that it was taken. With every step forward, two or more steps were taken back. The closed venue choices, missing life stages, tasks and goals, developers' decisions to guide us so much that we are limited in guiding ourselves, and the inability to customize most of what we see are all steps backward in my eyes. I feel that all the potential I saw in the past has been ignored and stripped away in a way that makes absolutely no sense to me in this day and age.

Advancement would have made sense. Freedom of creativity would have made sense. Freedom to tell our own stories and to create truly unique characters that are not all reactive to the same things would have made sense. Instead, I feel as though I have a world full of too many individual characters that are stripped from their individuality. I feel as though I have a world that is trapped in the same 'sameness' from neighbourhood to neighbourhood. I am no longer playing my vision, and I am no longer ruling that vision. Someone else is, and me and that someone else have very different views on what a life simulation should have been, could have been, and would have been if only they put some thought into it in a way that made sense.

Sorry to be rambling so much. I just feel I would have been happier if there were actual advancements in the freedom I once thought this game was so capable of. Instead, I feel like I'm staring at a bunch of beautiful birds with their wings clipped in a guilded cage that has no doors. It's all so pretty, but I can't really do anything with it.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    Actually I wrote it because they asked me to. I did my best to cover the biggest issues I had learnt since being here.

very well written and very true

so sad that this is how it is
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    CherbitDip wrote: »
    Erpe didn't like Sims 2 or 3 either because they were too "shallow". I'm struggling to understand the thinking behind defending a publisher that has went down a route that he/she clearly does not enjoy, so much they've already said it's unlikely they will enjoy Sims 5 if it ever comes out! However, all entitled to our own opinion and all that...

Let me get this strait. This person does not like sims 2 , 3 and 4. Only plays sims freeplay but wants to disagree with so many people in this thread for being disappointed with TS4 after paying EA a lot of money for an incomplete game when they promised a complete base game. I would like to know why this person is even posting in this thread. The only reason I can see is they just feel the need to disagree with people for no reason what so ever when they are not interested in any sims pc games
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    So let me get this straight, Erpe. You don't like TS4 and probably won't purchase any additional content, but you might. And you don't want people to complain about the game because you want someone to keep buying it because apparently you believe that others will stop buying if people are complaining. And if someone keeps buying you think that makes it more likely that they will make a TS5, athough you doubt that you'll like that game, either, but you might. And you don't think another company will make a life simulation game, especially if this one fails.

Are you sure about all this? :*
    No I am not. Just look at Virtual Families and Virtual Families 2 from Last Day of Work. They are life simulations. So are the two adult Singles games from Rotobee.

But are you sure that you just want more of such games instead of EA's Sims games?
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited October 2015

I know, lol! It's why this thread has been on the first page of this forum for days and days. :D

@kremesch73 that was a wonderful post, and describes very well my utter disappointment with this game. I would give you 100 awesomes for that post if I could.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options

Let me get this strait. This person does not like sims 2 , 3 and 4. Only plays sims freeplay but wants to disagree with so many people in this thread for being disappointed with TS4 after paying EA a lot of money for an incomplete game when they promised a complete base game. I would like to know why this person is even posting in this thread. The only reason I can see is they just feel the need to disagree with people for no reason what so ever when they are not interested in any sims pc games
    The irony is that I like the Sims Freeplay and I liked TS2 very much in the two years I played it. But everybody else seem to have liked especially TS3 much more than I did.

Even so everybody else but me seem to want EA to stop making big Sims games and only get smaller life simulations in browsers from mainly other companies than EA because this is what is likely to happen if your wish becomes true ;)

Have a nice future without Sims games ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Erpe wrote: »

The irony is that I like the Sims Freeplay and I liked TS2 very much in the two years I played it. But everybody else seem to have liked especially TS3 much more than I did.

Even so everybody else but me seem to want EA to stop making big Sims games and only get smaller life simulations in browsers from mainly other companies than EA because this is what is likely to happen if your wish becomes true ;)

Everyone wants EA to stop making big sims games? You keep putting words in others mouths that don't exist. This has to be one of the silliest thing you have stated. This thread is about the lack of content in the game. Maybe your in the wrong tread if you think people want a smaller game.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    gamekitten wrote: »
    Ark Survival Revolved not even finished has half a year to a year (they say summer but if it isn't ready I know they will delay it, so put a year). 40 developers working on the game( I think it is 40 too early to search their forums without my first cup of coffee completed). Open world (has rain, snow area and it snows and if you chop down a tree in the snow biome snow falls of said tree), swamp area, beach area, jungle area, forest, and a huge open world sandbox game. You rule because you can host a server, rent a server from other places, change game.ini and etc..The breeding was asked by the customers/players...and we got it.. ..They will be adding 100 + creatures to the game when they started they said 70+, but the customers/players asked for many types of dinos and mammals, so they are putting them in..
    Our newest dino..just hatched this am (an hatching an egg isn't easy and takes time)

15eg6di.jpg

And yes the grass sways..
    And I paid 30.00 dollars for this game...o.o

What amazes me most is the specs aren't even that high for that game. It looks amazing.
  • Options

Everyone wants EA to stop making big sims games? You keep putting words in others mouths that don't exist. This has to be one of the silliest thing you have stated. This thread is about the lack of content in the game. Maybe your in the wrong tread if you think people want a smaller game.
    So why are you fighting so hard to make TS4 into a failure? My problem is that people don't seem to understand how big EA or what type of company EA is. They seem to think that EA is just a small company who only have the Sims games to care about and which they therefore can force to change the game in the direction which they want.

But on the contrary EA is so huge that TS4 doesn't even get much attention from EA's top who only is interested in seeing if the game is worth continuing on all platforms or not. EA's board probably care much more about EA's many sports games than about the Sims games and they probably also care much more about EA's RPG games. So if people stop buying Sims games for the PC platform then it won't even be such a big thing for EA who already see other platforms as more important than the PC.

So if TS4's expansions don't sell very well then I am sure that EA without many considerations about it just will decide that the time for such big Sims games with that many expansions is over and that EA should only make smaller standalone Sims games for all the different platforms.

In other words: You are fighting a battle that you can never win - even though I too would like it more if you had could. But I won't give you a chance because I just can't find that chance no matter how hard I try to see it.
  • Options
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    gamekitten wrote: »
    Ark Survival Revolved not even finished has half a year to a year (they say summer but if it isn't ready I know they will delay it, so put a year). 40 developers working on the game( I think it is 40 too early to search their forums without my first cup of coffee completed). Open world (has rain, snow area and it snows and if you chop down a tree in the snow biome snow falls of said tree), swamp area, beach area, jungle area, forest, and a huge open world sandbox game. You rule because you can host a server, rent a server from other places, change game.ini and etc..The breeding was asked by the customers/players...and we got it.. ..They will be adding 100 + creatures to the game when they started they said 70+, but the customers/players asked for many types of dinos and mammals, so they are putting them in..
    Our newest dino..just hatched this am (an hatching an egg isn't easy and takes time)

15eg6di.jpg

And yes the grass sways..
    And I paid 30.00 dollars for this game...o.o

What amazes me most is the specs aren't even that high for that game. It looks amazing.

Even the specs for Star Wars Battlefront are lower than EA claims and the game looks 10 x better than the sims
  • Options

So why are you fighting so hard to make TS4 into a failure? My problem is that people don't seem to understand how big EA or what type of company EA is. They seem to think that EA is just a small company who only have the Sims games to care about and which they therefore can force to change the game in the direction which they want.

But on the contrary EA is so huge that TS4 doesn't even get much attention from EA's top who only is interested in seeing if the game is worth continuing on all platforms or not. EA's board probably care much more about EA's many sports games than about the Sims games and they probably also care much more about EA's RPG games. So if people stop buying Sims games for the PC platform then it won't even be such a big thing for EA who already see other platforms as more important than the PC.

So if TS4's expansions don't sell very well then I am sure that EA without many considerations about it just will decide that the time for such big Sims games with that many expansions is over and that EA should only make smaller standalone Sims games for all the different platforms.

In other words: You are fighting a battle that you can never win - even though I too would like it more if you had could. But I won't give you a chance because I just can't find that chance no matter how hard I try to see it.

You again make no sense and are putting words in others mouths that dont exist. . The sims 4 was a failure from the beginning being an incomplete base game and it is continuing to be a failure not giving the customers what they paid for and were promised. Not only an incomplete base game but a buggy unplayable ( for some) game

Many people complaining about sports titles too. This is what happens when a company does not deliver a game the players want and or an unstable game
  • Options
    Even the specs for Star Wars Battlefront are lower than EA claims and the game looks 10 x better than the sims

This is something I just don't understand. It's leading me to believe that Maxis doesn't actually know how to develop games.
  • Options
    mskubemskube Posts: 483 Member
    @kremesch73 that was an awesome post I think you have a way of putting other people's thoughts into words at least for me anyway.
  • Options
    kremesch73 wrote: »

This is something I just don't understand. It's leading me to believe that Maxis doesn't actually know how to develop games.

I just think they were too lazy to build a game from scratch when they realized Olympus was not going to work on line. Rather than scrap it and start from scratch they decided to refurbish Olympus , rename it the sims 4. I think they underestimate the intelligence of their repeat customers who have been long time simmers
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member

Hee! You make it sound like we need your permission!

TBH, I think they will do that anyway, and you know what? If TS4 is the best they can do and it's only going to get worse from here on out, then I don't much care if they make TS5.

In any case I don't need your permission to complain. :D
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    CherbitDipCherbitDip Posts: 116 Member

Why on earth do you point the finger of blame at the fans? I genuinely do not understand where you are coming from!
  • Options

Why on earth do you point the finger of blame at the fans? I genuinely do not understand where you are coming from!

Exactly its the company that puts out a game that makes it a success or failure not the customers. If the company does not deliver a product the customers want, the customers stop buying or wont buy the product
  • Options

Exactly its the company that puts out a game that makes it a success or failure not the customers. If the company does not deliver a product the customers want, the customers stop buying or wont buy the product
    Yes a few hundreds or maybe even a few thousands stop purchase the game because even though they like Sims games with many expansions they think that TS4 resembles TS1 (which sold in millions) more than TS3 (which those few hundreds or thousands liked) and they therefore feel insulted because EA and Maxis didn't obey them. But EA still sells millions of games and earn more money than any other game company. So feel insulted - it is your own problem.

Other game companies could make life simulations too. But the problem is that no other game company than EA would ever take the risk to use 4 whole years and hundreds of employees to just make a basegame which later needed expansions. Even EA only does it because the previous versions of the game has proved successful. Another game company can't use any of EA's codes or rights but would have to make the game more different. This would be extremely risky because such a game might flop and the company could lose so many millions of dollars that it could even threaten the company's existence. Therefore other companies will only make much smaller life simulation games which cost much less to develop and therefore don't have so much risk.

Also EA will stop making so big Sims games if just a single big Sims game flops.

So punish EA - and you will instead just punish yourself. EA will survive much longer than the big Sims games will.
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member

Yes a few hundreds or maybe even a few thousands stop purchase the game because even though they like Sims games with many expansions they think that TS4 resembles TS1 (which sold in millions) more than TS3 (which those few hundreds or thousands liked) and they therefore feel insulted because EA and Maxis didn't obey them. But EA still sells millions of games and earn more money than any other game company. So feel insulted - it is your own problem.

Other game companies could make life simulations too. But the problem is that no other game company than EA would ever take the risk to use 4 whole years and hundreds of employees to just make a basegame which later needed expansions. Even EA only does it because the previous versions of the game has proved successful. Another game company can't use any of EA's codes or rights but would have to make the game more different. This would be extremely risky because such a game might flop and the company could lose so many millions of dollars that it could even threaten the company's existence. Therefore other companies will only make much smaller life simulation games which cost much less to develop and therefore don't have so much risk.

Also EA will stop making so big Sims games if just a single big Sims game flops.

So punish EA - and you will instead just punish yourself. EA will survive much longer than the big Sims games will.

There is not self punishment in not purchasing something that you do not want.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Punish EA. ? LMAO. Your comments are so way off from reality. We have been punished by EA giving us such a garbage incomplete game with bugs that make the game unplayable. I would be punishing myself if I continued to give EA money for a game that is not worth my money. But that wont happen. There are plenty of other good companies that give a good product I will spend my money on

You know how many stopped playing or stopped buying or wont buy. I would like to see those figures. You can include me in those figures.

I do have to thank you though for keeping @sparkfary1 article at the top of the forum almost at 30k views