Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 1 won't start

I have a new computer, and the game won't start on it.

I installed it, I got a pop up with a menu to press play, and once I do that, the pop up disappears and it won't start!

Yes, I've tried trouble shooting compatibility, running as an administrator, still nothing works!

I also tried downloading a "virtual xp", as suggested on many forums, it wouldn't work!!

If anyone has a solution, I'd love the help.

Comments

• FairyLights1FairyLights1 Posts: 759 Member
    ...*sigh*
  • hellojewbyhellojewby Posts: 1,316 Member
    are you running it on windows 7? i only know of 1 solution if it's windows 7.
    let's be friends on origin: hello0jewby
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
    Oh gosh, I love you! Thanks, gonna try this! :)
    hope it works!
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
    Yes, it did! Thank you, very much! :)
    you're welcome. i know the struggle is real!! lol
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • MsPrissy88MsPrissy88 Posts: 3,122 Member
    @hellojewby - Did you ever come across anything regarding TS1 and Windows 10?? I ask because, since I upgraded to Win10, I can't get my original game to work. And it worked just fine when I had Win8.1. I'm still wondering if it's because of 10. But, that's what I don't get. Windows 10 has EVERY kind of backward compatibility.
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
    I haven't the slightest clue. I haven't messed with 10 yet. Sorry :-/
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • ShimmyShimmyYaShimmyShimmyYa Posts: 545 Member
    Anyone else know of a Win 7 fix for this problem? I uninstalled the updated from September, and now the opening screen (the basic blue one that says The Sims, that shows up right before the game loads) will show up, and I can hear the disc spinning like it's trying to open the game, but then, nothing ever happens. The game just won't open.
    thnom_nom.gif

• cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    I did read something about windows 10 and securom (on crinricts site) not being compatible but I am not sure of sims 1 has securom. I thought it started with sims 2 - though today I had no problems launching and playing sims 2 discs using windows 10 (once in windows 7 compatibility mode).

I'm sorry re sims 1. I hope you are able to get it to work.
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited October 2015
    I think Sims 1 has SafeDisc which has the same issue as SecuRom. I haven't tried myself.

@MsPrissy88 Do you get an error message or what happens ? Here's a discussion on this at MTS: http://modthesims.info/t/561235
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

edited November 2018
    crinrict wrote: »
    I think Sims 1 has SafeDisc which has the same issue as SecuRom. I haven't tried myself.

@MsPrissy88 Do you get an error message or what happens ? Here's a discussion on this at MTS: http://modthesims.info/t/561235

Yeah, @crinrict. The Sims 1 disk does indeed have that SafeDisc which will not let it install/run/whatever with Windows 10.

But, thanks for the link. I'll have a look.

Post edited by MsPrissy88 on
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    MsPrissy88 wrote: »
    @hellojewby - Did you ever come across anything regarding TS1 and Windows 10?? I ask because, since I upgraded to Win10, I can't get my original game to work. And it worked just fine when I had Win8.1. I'm still wondering if it's because of 10. But, that's what I don't get. Windows 10 has EVERY kind of backward compatibility.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/859239/to-let-your-sims-collection-or-individual-downloads-up-to-making-magic-work-on-windows-10?new=1

Hope that helps you @MsPrissy88
    edited October 2015
    mcrudd wrote: »
    MsPrissy88 wrote: »

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/859239/to-let-your-sims-collection-or-individual-downloads-up-to-making-magic-work-on-windows-10?new=1

Hope that helps you @MsPrissy88

The only problem @mcrudd is that Windows 10 will not *let* the disk even spin up to the point where I could see the "install The Sims". This is because back then, EA used SafeDisk to protect whatever, and Windows doesn't even recognize this.

I mean, I *thank you* you "showing" me how *you* got it to work on your system, but I have tried everything. And since it won't work (for me, on 10), I just have to wait until I can get my laptop fixed. At least I know it worked on my Vista laptop.
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
    Thats very strange, because I just reinstalled all of my sims 1 disks just a few days ago, long after updating to windows 10. Are you sure the disks are not damaged or your cd player is not faulty in any way?
    Just to add, I had to click on the disk icon to get it to start spinning, it did not auto start. But once I double clicked on the disk icon it started running no problem.
    @mcrudd - The disks are fine. I cleaned them during the summer when I was installing them on my Windows 8.1 system. Then I recleaned them again right after I had upgraded to 10.

I also did what you said in the next step..... clicking on the icon. It still won't work - or, spin up.
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
    mmm and have you tested another disk in your diskdrive, maby its faulty. I know I am probably asking silly questions and you must be so frustrated but I am clueless and is just trying to help. I had my old computer not install my sims 3 because my disk was faulty, and I thought it was my sims 3 disks.
    Noooo... there's nothing wrong with my disk drive. Trust me, you're not asking silly questions. Yes, I am frustrated, but not with you. In a way, I am mad at myself *for* upgrading to Windows 10 (because I can no longer play the original series), but I'm more mad at Microsoft for their stuuuupid thinking that *this* (10) is a whole lot better than we already had!
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
    Is it just the first one that is causing this ? Perhaps you can download the first edition from a website (no idea where but I am sure there is a safe site somewhere) and then try your second disk and see if it does the same. I am really at a loss at how to help you, I wish I could though.
    I have the Deluxe Edition. And there's no where you can download anything from the original series anymore. Besides, even if there was such a site available, you would need a code for *that* download. Noooo.... I'm just going to have to wait until I have the money to get my Vista laptop fixed.

I know you've been racking your brain trying to think of solutions. But there aren't any. At least for me. You've been a big help, sweetie. Really.
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
  • missyp1353missyp1353 Posts: 1 New Member
    i have the same problem, i have a new laptop windows 10 and the disk wont even load to install
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    @missyp1353 Windows 10 won't play The Sims due to the game using SafeDisc which Windows 10 doesn't support. Furthermore, Windows Vista-8.1 systems with this update also can't play the game without removing the update.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Andy251991Andy251991 Posts: 5 New Member
    Here it is ,was looking for this thread, I got a xp laptop, it plays sims 1 just fine but when I add the expansion makin magic, sims wont even start loading it pops the picture makin magic but it stays on the desktop and never loads, whats the deal here lol so freaky, if anyone has suggestions plz help. Thanks