Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

As a women this cartoon about sums up how I feel about a lot of the women's clothing in the Sims

our_everyday_problems_in_hilariously_honest_comics_678612496.jpg_resized_552_zps2l1qbps3.jpg

Replace clothing companies with EA and CC makers.

Luxury Stuff pack is a particularly bad example although I have seen some CC that makes even the trashiest outfit in that pack look modest.

And as for crop tops, you know I never actually in real life ever seen anyone wearing a crop top. It is annoying when they ruins a really cute top like the v neck top from Get to Work or the lattice work top from Get Together by making it a crop top.

One of the reason I why like the kitchen stuff pack so much was that I could imagine the young adults I know wearing them, they were cute with a lot of really nice detailing.

So can we have more clothes this that are in the happy zone between slutwear and frumpwear?
tsNVdyA.png
Gallery ID: Truet318, check out my latest builds on the gallery.

The Road goes ever on and on And I must follow, if I can,
Until it joins some larger way,
Where many paths and errands meet.

Comments

• SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member
    I'm happy my sims can wear anything they want without having to worry about what hangs out where.
    I think we have plenty of variety at the moment, they've done great work with Sims 4 clothes compared to previous games. There's plenty of different styles for each age in mind. Perhaps the crop tops are meant for the teenagers, as they can now wear same clothes?
    I wouldn't want them to change anything they are doing at the moment, I like what we've had so far. You can easily dress up or dress down outfits by adding accessories/stockings/leggings/hats.
    I guess it's more of personal taste than anything else, but I do hope they'll add more for everyone as time goes on, so it's good if it is being discussed.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,559 Member
    I'm sorry, Slawfish, I have to side with the OP on this one. Much of the women's apparel is far too 🐸🐸🐸🐸. Nor would I want my teens wearing it — that's far worse. What I would love to see, is the ability to create our own looks. I would love to be able to layer clothing of my own choosing, for instance, and not have to rely on the full outfits, which many are nice, but not always quite what I'm looking for. I'm ecstatic that we can now choose a hat of our own liking, without sacrificing the hair style that suits our Sims. Why can't we do this with a coat and/or vest? In RL I'm very choosy, I'll admit it. Many a time, (when I'm positively dragged out to do it), I shop for hours and come away with nothing. It's exhausting and frustrating. Sexy is 'more is less', not the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 'less is more' look of this day and age.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,559 Member
    edited October 2015
    Plum is a fruit. Plum is a color, not a euphemism for a word not on the list of approved verbiage. Stop censoring my speech!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Thank goodness there's no option for a female sim to ask a male sim if this outfit makes her look fat.
  • AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    Well the "beauty" of Sims vs. real humans is, of course, that none of them will ever need bras. LOL That said, I LOVED your cartoon you posted Moon_Willow and often wonder just that thing when shopping for real life clothing! I don't play TS4 (holding out until my beloved vampires and witches return dagnabit!) but I also found the clothing choices in TS3 not at all what I wanted. I have to wonder who the heck is the "style expert" coming up with this stuff and what, if ANY, kind of research they are doing!
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    I wear crop tops they look good especially with high waist jeans . I don't care if the bra shows a bit and you can always wear a strapless bra if it bothers you that much.

I love the ea clothing in ts4 and i hope they keep up thr good job
    21mbz47.jpg
  • TildeLTildeL Posts: 188 Member
    AmyCarolyn wrote: »
    A crop top is slutwear? Lol ok

You learn something new everyday.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    I totally relate to that cartoon in real life!!! LOL I'm frequently baffled in the dressing room. hahaha

In The Sims 4, though, I do feel like I have a decent variety of clothing. Outdoor Retreat gave me a lot of the "comfy" clothing that I felt the game was lacking on. I don't own Kitchen Stuff, but now that you've mentioned the clothing having a more relaxed fit I will take another look at that. I don't mind the more eyebrow raising fashions just because I play an incredible range of sim personalities. Sometimes I have a trailer park beauty, a demure bookworm, a flashy risque socialite etc, and I need clothing to address all those varying personalities. So I don't mind the crop tops or the dresses that defy gravity, as long as they're not completely overtaking my game. So far, I don't feel overwhelmed by any one type of clothing theme.

Remembering to deselect the clothing filter in CAS helps a lot with this as well. I'm not a huge fan of most of the full outfit formal choices in the game, (for my everyday joe sort of sims) and generally disable the formal filter and mix and match my own formal outfits with blouses and skirts/slacks.

Happy Friday and Happy Simming!
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    I would love to be able to layer clothing of my own choosing, for instance, and not have to rely on the full outfits, which many are nice, but not always quite what I'm looking for.

The ability to layer clothing and accessories in CAS would be awesome. For some of my sims, the cute little crop tops, sports bras, and tight-fitting, spaghetti-strap tanks are perfect, but for other sims, I'd love to be able to put them under a blouse or jacket or whatever. I would also like to be able to layer facial hair (I want stubble AND a goatee).

KGLsNuM.jpg
  • ElmawaElmawa Posts: 2,281 Member
    [quote=slutwear and frumpwear?[/quote]

This made me laugh! But yeah, I feel you! In RL it can be difficult to find clothes that are both cute and socially/professionally/church acceptable, usually you seem to get one or the other as most of the cute stuff shows the world your undies. And...strapless bras do not work for anyone above a B really...not unless you plan to spend a good portion of your day holding your bra up with your hands. No doubt there is someone who is the exception to this of course, but this has been my own experience. My sister who is smaller than me has always been able to wear those things, I on the other hand have never been able to, not without a whole lot of fussing all day.
    The clothing in the game this time around actually doesn't bother me too much though, as another person said, our sims don't need to worry about this stuff, but since I dress modestly myself I do have a tendency to pass over the sexier clothes options in favor of the stuff that I personally find acceptable.

• ZespriZespri Posts: 129 Member
    I like the clothing in TS4. The clothing of TS2 and TS3 is too old fashioned, I always had a hard time picking an outfit. I also don't like the crop tops, though, I tend to avoid them. It's too bad that the game doesn't give use high waisted jeans, it would at least cover the body a bit more in combination with a crop top. If I remember correctly we have a few high waisted shorts, but I don't like them. :') I guess I'm very picky.
  • Moon_WillowMoon_Willow Posts: 732 Member
    Elmawa wrote: »
    [quote=slutwear and frumpwear?

This made me laugh! But yeah, I feel you! In RL it can be difficult to find clothes that are both cute and socially/professionally/church acceptable, usually you seem to get one or the other as most of the cute stuff shows the world your undies. And...strapless bras do not work for anyone above a B really...not unless you plan to spend a good portion of your day holding your bra up with your hands. No doubt there is someone who is the exception to this of course, but this has been my own experience. My sister who is smaller than me has always been able to wear those things, I on the other hand have never been able to, not without a whole lot of fussing all day.
    The clothing in the game this time around actually doesn't bother me too much though, as another person said, our sims don't need to worry about this stuff, but since I dress modestly myself I do have a tendency to pass over the sexier clothes options in favor of the stuff that I personally find acceptable.

[/quote]

You've put your finger on one of the reason I feel uncomfortable about some of the clothes. In RL I'm a D cup so I know just difficult and uncomfortable it would be to wear some of those outfits in RL, Also where I live has milder summer temperatures than the US while at the same time having much higher levels of UV. We have the highest female death rate from melanoma on the planet. So any outfit that exposes a significant portion of the torso simply means that there is more area you have to slather the sun block on.
    tsNVdyA.png

• TheBlaireWitchTheBlaireWitch Posts: 762 Member
    *squints* Do you ever go outside or go on the Internet? Everyone is wearing crop tops. They're the in thing. Especially with high waisted pants. Or skirts. Or shorts.

I mean, I totally agree with the comic, for real life. But this is sims. They don't have to wear bras unlike real life where there are people who like to shame girls for their bra sticking out. Like. I just spent 50 bucks on this thing, I want people to see it.

Sims can be all shapes and sizes, wear whatever they want (no matter how much it clashes), woo-hoo with 50 sims, black, white, brown, blueblue, whatever, and not judged for it. Unlike real life. So let's try to keep Sims a game, cause that's what it is, and not turn it into a social stance on modesty.
  • SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    I've always disliked the majority of clothing for ladies in Sims games. Irl, I've always worked in environments that require professional dress. I only wear crop tops to bed or tank tops on vacation and have always felt "professional" lady sims get left out in the cold. I get wanting a variety of clothes to match all the different sim personalities, but they've always tipped the scales towards the mini-shirt/tight jeans side. Probably because it takes much less time to crank out 20 crop tops than 20 conservative shirts.

In fairness though, it's gotten better. Cast especially helped in TS3 and TS4 seems to have some decent options. The TS2 shirts were terrible and they didn't even fake the appearance of a bra :/
    *squints* Do you ever go outside or go on the Internet? Everyone is wearing crop tops. They're the in thing. Especially with high waisted pants. Or skirts. Or shorts.
    Not where I live, The high Ultraviolet may have something to do with that, it's bad enough to deal with sunburnt scalps and cleavages withour having to deal with sunburn because you are wearing a silly top.
    tsNVdyA.png

• TheBlaireWitchTheBlaireWitch Posts: 762 Member
    Not where I live, The high Ultraviolet may have something to do with that, it's bad enough to deal with sunburnt scalps and cleavages withour having to deal with sunburn because you are wearing a silly top.

Sounds like Australia.
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Zespri wrote: »
    I like the clothing in TS4. The clothing of TS2 and TS3 is too old fashioned, I always had a hard time picking an outfit. I also don't like the crop tops, though, I tend to avoid them. It's too bad that the game doesn't give use high waisted jeans, it would at least cover the body a bit more in combination with a crop top. If I remember correctly we have a few high waisted shorts, but I don't like them. :') I guess I'm very picky.

H&M stuff in TS2 was pretty haha. I agree with TS3. You should try some maxis match cc for TS4 , there is quite a lot :)

Back on topic. I love making all sort of sims, especially female ones and i have many different type of sims.

I have: country girls, preppy girls, punk girls, bussiness women, artistic more hippy girls , mothers and sexy girls.

The game has a lot of issues , but CAS isn't one of them
    21mbz47.jpg
  • GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    Lol I think you are judging too much. Plus I like to have more skimpy dressed women because it would fit some sims characters (like the calientes). Is like you are saying they should take away miniskirts too? I use them all the time. Not sure about the crop top but I know other people that during summer wears them. Or to a pool or beach party you would use a more summery bikini style top.
  • GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member

I mean, I totally agree with the comic, for real life. But this is sims. They don't have to wear bras unlike real life where there are people who like to shame girls for their bra sticking out. Like. I just spent 50 bucks on this thing, I want people to see it.

Sims can be all shapes and sizes, wear whatever they want (no matter how much it clashes), woo-hoo with 50 sims, black, white, brown, blueblue, whatever, and not judged for it. Unlike real life. So let's try to keep Sims a game, cause that's what it is, and not turn it into a social stance on modesty.

Lol exactly, never got why people would try to shame me or other women because the bra strap shows up a little. Even a cute lace bra or a basic strap, why would anybody be offended. Is not like it is made of plum or cheese lol.
  • ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    Not the first time I've heard this discussion or some form of it, but it is one of the first times I've seen "slutwear" make it on to these forums. Good job, OP.

@GalacticGal your censorship could've been worse. I had "pizzeria" censored and even SGDrake was confused how it fell under the category.
    edited October 2015
    GaiaPuma wrote: »
    Lol I think you are judging too much. Plus I like to have more skimpy dressed women because it would fit some sims characters (like the calientes). Is like you are saying they should take away miniskirts too? I use them all the time. Not sure about the crop top but I know other people that during summer wears them. Or to a pool or beach party you would use a more summery bikini style top.

Interesting how people feel that a request to have more clothing that is both attractive and tasteful is judgemental.

I'm not saying calientewear shouldn't exist in the game (is that term non-judgemental enough for you?) but has it occurred that some people would like say a non crop version of the lattice weave top coming with Get Together rather than some frumpy alternative.
    tsNVdyA.png

• SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    GaiaPuma wrote: »

Lol exactly, never got why people would try to shame me or other women because the bra strap shows up a little. Even a cute lace bra or a basic strap, why would anybody be offended. Is not like it is made of plum or cheese lol.

Why are you offended and trying to shame other women because they don't want to wear tummy shirts or have their bra strap showing a little bit? Some of us ladies have grown-up jobs, don't dress based off what we see on the Hot Topic internet page and also wouldn't appreciate a man walking into the office with a tummy shirt or his underpants showing just a little bit.

This isn't a conversation about shaming - no one is talking about fighting Instagram double standards as it relates to topless photos - we're talking having balanced choices for our pixel wardrobes. Shaming works both ways, ya noe.