Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Homeless Sims and Nraas SP - OK

thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
Hey, guys!
I want to protect all my homeless sims against Story Progression. I read on the nraas page that I can do it by simply adding them to the empty houses of my neighborhood. It works well in Appaloosa Plains, but Moonlight Falls has too many unique townies for me to save.

I noticed that SP doesn't touch NPCs in the Service Household. I've just configured all my homeless guys to this household in hopes they'll be spared. I also added them to the roles manually using register, in case register doesn't count them as candidates. Now I might save the start of my neighborhood and pray for their lives.

Is there another suggestion?
Post edited by thuggishsplicer on

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2015
    If a sim is homeless but fulfilling a Service Sim or Role Sim function, then NRaas SP's (that is the SP we are talking about rather than EA's, right?), Manage the Homeless should prevent them from being removed from the game. Not as safe (for the Role Sims) as making them residents, though. You'll need to watch their aging because if they age out of the acceptable range as set in Register for their assignments while homeless, they may end up totally unemployed and lose any form of protection.

If a sim is homeless but in a rabbithole (or Showtime) career slot, then it's the game that has generated them. NRaas SP's Manage the Homeless will run them out of town, as will Overwatch if you have that setting on. There is no protection for those sims as long as they are homeless as they are meant to be transient.

If it's really EA's story progression we are talking about, then all bets are off. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Sorry for forgetting to mention, it's really Nraas SP. ^^

It seems that my best options are changing all unique homeless into residents or turning off SP's function until they move in or die.
    I'll stick with the second one for a while until I find room for them all.

EDIT: OR, I can force-kill them all and wait until my neighborhood has room. So I can use Debug Enabler to ressurect them and move them into town. Hmmm... I hope it works.

Thanks again for the help, @igazor !
  • Options
    Well, keep in mind that you can't make residents out of Service Sims anyway (maids, butlers, babysitters, newspaper, mail, and pizza deliverers, etc.). I mean you can, but they will lose their Service assignments immediately and either the game or Register will spawn new ones as needed. You must have a lot of Role Sims then that you have grown fond of!

And you're welcome. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    I didnt realize that story progression deleted homeless sims other than when it asks if you want to purge them, now I'm kind of worried :o
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Once I added several Service Sims to my town (maids, postmen, firefighters...), but it created duplicates in the mini-sims part.

Anyway, there are some great sims hidden among them, too. My main goal is to keep the data of non-residents that are shipped within the town for future use without saving hundreds in my Library or having the town overpopulated at the very beginning or opening a new town in order to export them.

I'd rather have pudding faces doing most of the role and service jobs.
  • Options
    I wonder if there is a setting for NRAAS SP that could make them game try and immigrate them into town?
  • Options
    Yeah! That's true! I can only have them immigrated manually.
  • Options
    orbeezbabiesorbeezbabies Posts: 79 Member
    I love that Story Progression deletes homeless townies. You get rid of the riff raff that way as they weigh your town down. :) I guess I will have to delete homeless looking homes now.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    What I do to keep my homeless pre-mades is to use NRaas Master Controller to add them all to one or two houses in town. You can raise the household limit for only those houses, with lot options, and put them all in there. Eventually, some of them will move out to other houses on their own, whether by moving in with someone else, marrying a townie, or moving into a recently vacated home.
  • Options
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've had homeless sims moved into town living on a community lot before and it's how I could manage the ones I move into town.I've started testing live with Ambitions and had to get my Mods back for that stage of testing.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    So, how do you even select the homeless sims anyhow?
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've got an example below.They're actually living on a community lot.
    22113584371_cf88fbbb19_c.jpg
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    SimKeats wrote: »
    So, how do you even select the homeless sims anyhow?
    Run MasterController on City Hall or an in-game computer. The commands that require a sim to be instantiated (materialized on screen rather than off the screen hibernating like they do when off-duty) such as Focus won't show, but the others like Family Tree will. You can also filter to Homeless in MC using the built in filters.

To add them to a house though, it's just NRaas > MC > Add Sim on the target lot (not on City Hall, not on the sim) and filter to find the homeless sims you want. If you click on the homeless sim and try to do that, I think you might end up adding them to your household.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Hey, just to add an extra.

I usually go to an empty house and use NRaas > MC > Add Sim. For the filter, I choose "Town Family". All family names without a head (i.g. "Parrott - Kanoa Parrott" [That's a resident family, the head of the family is Kanoa Parrott], "Bell" [It's just a last name] are homeless groups. I click on one of them and choose all the sims or some of them to be added to the house - that creates a new family.

But you have to do it at the very first second you start a new neighborhood. Pause it and check all empty lots (or go to your super lot) in order to add them, or else, they'll be removed little by little.
  • Options
    SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    Not precisely certain why you want to keep your homeless from being removed unless it is the unique character of Moonlight Falls NPC's such as the Summerdream Fairies. What I have frequently done when I have seen an EA pre-made I particularly like is to go into CAS and save the Sim to the bin. That way I can add the sim back whenever I want.
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • Options
    MiyuEmiMiyuEmi Posts: 2,404 Member
    I always allow my Nraas SP to purge the homeless population when I start a game and then I never think of them again.

I think I do this because prior to getting an SP mod and when the game first came out (think I was on base game only), one of my sim children got a boyfriend at school and then he was just suddenly...poof. This was my introduction to the homeless sim population. He was still listed as her boyfriend, but I couldn't visit him and realised he clearly didn't actually exist in the town so I decided to ensure that I only partnered sims with NPC/townies who were actually intended to be part of the town population. If I see a sim that my sims are compatible with, I'll often CAS them and partner my sim with them.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
    Crowley Family Legacy Patriarch - Jonah Crowley
  • Options
    munchiepoomunchiepoo Posts: 1,386 Member
    I have NRAAS SP - what exactly is a homeless sim, where are they, what do they do, why are they there? I always purge them.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    @MiyuEmi - Funny, I take the opposite approach and embrace my towns' homeless populations (just not to the extent that the OP has) and always keep both SP and Overwatch's clean up, run out of town functions off. If I find a sim that I or my sims like, it is our duty to find out more about them, including where they live either through in-game social interactions or by using MasterController to learn more about them. If they do turn out to be homeless, then I have the luxury of giving them a home or adding them to an existing household myself as described earlier in this thread so they won't be volatile anymore.

The embracing is only up to a point, though. If my world of say 160 residents has 500 homeless, then something is wrong there and requires investigation. More like 15 beyond the usual Service and Role sims would be fine, though. To take a townwide "reading" using MasterController, on City Hall or an in-game computer,
    NRaas > MC > Demographics > Population > and "X" to dismiss the filter

@munchiepoo - Homeless sims are non-residents who appear in your world. They perform their functions and then sometimes wander about town but usually go off the map (or into an unreachable NPC "apartment" unit if you have LN style apartments) to hibernate when they are off duty.

Some of them you pretty much must have like Service and Role Sims. Even the Grim Reaper, Uni Mascot, Paparazzi, and Time Traveler sims are considered homeless, although of course those are special cases. The ones with any of these kinds of assignments are in a service pool and are not the ones targeted by SP or Overwatch's cleanups.

But the game itself, not SP, also spawns homeless sims and gives them regular rabbithole jobs to provide residents with co-workers and bosses when it thinks there aren't enough residents to fill those slots. It also spawns homeless sims to fill Showtime career slots whenever it feels like it. The children of these types of sims may show up at your kids' schools as fellow students. We are to think of the game-spawned homeless really as commuters from another town, not as vagrants who hang out sleeping on park benches or something like that. If your game thinks it needs sims in these slots and you set SP and/or Overwatch to purge them all the time, the game will just stubbornly keep generating more of them to refill the slots.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    @MiyuEmi - Funny, I take the opposite approach and embrace my towns' homeless populations (just not to the extent that the OP has) and always keep both SP and Overwatch's clean up, run out of town functions off. If I find a sim that I or my sims like, it is our duty to find out more about them, including where they live either through in-game social interactions or by using MasterController to learn more about them. If they do turn out to be homeless, then I have the luxury of giving them a home or adding them to an existing household myself as described earlier in this thread so they won't be volatile anymore.

<snip>
    Oh goodness, I love this! I feel the same way about all the Sims in my towns and the homeless, especially. They are a resource and I like making sure I use all resources available if possible.

I also want to thank everyone for this thread. It's been a long time since I've got much play time out of TS3 so I'm having to relearn and learn a lot of new stuff. This thread is very helpful.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    RVallantRVallant Posts: 5 New Member
    I thought the NRASS assigned them jobs first as the priority is to fill the jobs etc before it eliminates homeless sims.
  • Options
    RVallant wrote: »
    I thought the NRASS assigned them jobs first as the priority is to fill the jobs etc before it eliminates homeless sims.
    It depends on how you have the settings arranged. SP's Manage the Homeless and Overwatch's Clean Up All Homeless aren't very discriminatory. But with those off, homeless employed sims will still wander in and out of the game over time. Homeless unemployed ones may well be given jobs along the way.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Hey @BSIRegina ! I'm glad this thread was useful for you.

@RVallant , @igazor is right, I noticed that service and role sims tend to exist for a longer time than co-workers. Once I edited the homeless teachers at a school and later they were all replaced. The same happens for those showtime artists. First you have them as singers, then they become firefighters and after that they are removed. On the other hand, I noticed that Taxi Drivers and Carpool drivers are kept by the game much longer. I do think that dancers, too, but I need to test more.

Since this topic has being going on longer than I expected, it's good to report that the action I chose has been working like a charm.

I force-killed all unique homeless sims (I mean those shipped with the World) and I have them safe in the mausoleum. First, I added them to an empty lot in order to kill them as residents. I can use their genetics to change role npcs that I feel like changing. (it's better than going to CAS all the time. Play with genetics is much easier and faster) When I have room in the city, I'll test ressurecting them with DebugEnabler and add them to a lot. I hope that works.

I know that if I ressurect them, they'll be added to my household, but it's just a matter of using MC to add them to the empty lot I want.

• Options
    And if anyone was still wondering "gosh why the heck would you want to keep homeless sims?" Certain towns have homeless sims that are part of the family tree of townies, I guess you could think of them as out of town relatives.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    With my current game I'm trying to get rid of my homeless sims. In the past I've tried to grab a few and have them in my games.

The reason I'm getting rid of them now is I have so many Sims in the town that I'm playing that I have to try to keep my population down. I've been making my own Sims since 2009 and I still have most of them in my library - over 300 of them to be precise. Probably over 400. At the moment I want to play with my own sims plus the townies I have already incorporated in my game.