Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Did anyone think Sims spoke French at first?

icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
When I heard my sims speak for the first time, I thought they were speaking in French. So I thought we just got some weird copy that has the dialogue in French while the UI is in English. It just sounded that way to me. Or maybe some other real life foreign language.
Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?

Comments

• MACRONAUTMACRONAUT Posts: 200 Member
    My first experience of sims was on the Ps2. I remember after first playing I went into the language settings cuz I thought the speech was screwed up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    I though they were speaking some sort of Asian language lol.
  • Rojo De GuyRojo De Guy Posts: 784 Member
    <---- This Simmer right here, I thought it was more of a gibberish/baby talk when I first played with the Newbies on S1, Bob got a lot of red bars and he waved & shouted at me with dem words :neutral:

(I finally learned that its a language called Sim-lish when S2 came after and have my own access to the Internet) :lol:
    EfTVMcj.jpg
    "Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light"
  • DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    edited October 2015
    I knew from the beginning of the existence of Simlish, but there are times that I hear them say some things that sound exactly like a French, German, or Ukrainian word, even if it's a bit mispronounced.
    Post edited by DrewRowland on
  • tammi222tammi222 Posts: 478 Member
    I knew from the beginning of the existence of Simlish, but there are times that I here them say somethings that sound exactly like a French, German, or Ukrainian word, even if it's a bit mispronounced.

I think it is more of a case of, if you speak enough gibberish eventually you should stubble upon a word that actually means something in some language
    "I never like to do anything quiet if I can help it. Swords for everyone!"
    tumblr_mtugnbGcVr1rlg2wpo1_400.gif
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    tammi222 wrote: »
    I knew from the beginning of the existence of Simlish, but there are times that I here them say somethings that sound exactly like a French, German, or Ukrainian word, even if it's a bit mispronounced.

I think it is more of a case of, if you speak enough gibberish eventually you should stubble upon a word that actually means something in some language

Yeah, I think that may be the case.

I read that Simlish is partly inspired by my native language. One time in TS2, my sim answered a call from someone who asked whether this certain sim is available to talk. I said no, and my sim said something that sounded like "Hindi pwede" to me, which roughly translates to "No, you can't." :0 I was a bit surprised, and I'm not sure whether it was gibberish or actual words taken from a real language.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I think they just put the phrases through an algorithm* and then decide on pronunciation for the results.

*Like letter/syllable substitution or something.
  • HagfisherHagfisher Posts: 950 Member
    It's a mix of languages and nonsense. I was so confused when I heard them talking!

It's similar to Spore. Civilized aliens would speak a mix of languages and nonsense, and some of the languages were recorded backwards.

The Grox is Spore would sometimes say 999 horse or something to that extent.
    125722018d2ffda673d70ee3796940a120b51e40.png

• myrakiiimyrakiii Posts: 229 Member
    I though they spoke Swedish >.<
    hey there! i'm peachy, a sims 4 player that loves making characters!
    cas youtube!
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I figured it was some sort of made up language they created for the game.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • ashleyrenee210ashleyrenee210 Posts: 187 Member
    I knew they were speaking simlish but my mom would always ask me why they weren't speaking English and I always had to explain to her what it was lol
    Twitter: ashleyrenee210
    Tumblr: panicitsashleyatthedisco
    Origin: ashleyrenee210
    PSN: ashleyrenee210
  • Haids5987Haids5987 Posts: 8,465 Member
    I was laughing so hard the first time I heard them speak to each other! I knew it was Simlish, but I was so aghast at what it sounded like that my poor little girl self couldn't handle it!
    signature2.png?ssl=1&w=450
    **Also known as EmeraldCityTaurus***
  • GodlikeGodlike Posts: 305 Member

Didn't they kinda mix some kind of languages? The letters in TS2 look kinda like Thai, or that was what a classmate told me back then.

Reminds me though, I was a few months at a friend's wedding and it was in various languages so all families would understand and I'd swear some of it sounded among other words I recognized but also Simlish so I kinda had to chuckle at some parts there :D
    Lift me up - Let me go
  • MsPrissy88MsPrissy88 Posts: 3,122 Member
    The first time I had seen TS1 being played (long before _I_ decided to buy the game), I could have sworn they were speaking Spanish. I had even asked my friend - who was playing the game - "what the heck are they saying?" She was the one who had told me that it was a made up language.
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
  • Haids5987Haids5987 Posts: 8,465 Member
    Godlike wrote: »
    Didn't they kinda mix some kind of languages? The letters in TS2 look kinda like Thai, or that was what a classmate told me back then.
    I feel like this is correct. I vaguely remember reading something like this.
    signature2.png?ssl=1&w=450
    **Also known as EmeraldCityTaurus***
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    The very first time I ever played the sims I thought I was hearing a bit of French. At the time I didn't know anything about the game, nor of the Simlish Language.