Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seasons EP Impossible?

Comments

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Neia wrote: »

Oh perhaps they could do something like attenuate sound effects when it snows ! I can't remember if it worked that way in previous Sims games. I love when you wake up and discover the snow has fallen all night, obviously in a Sims game, I know the snow is falling far before as I usually don't spend the night zoom in closely in the house, so no morning surprise.

Now that I think about it, children and toddlers should have a Playful moodlet (or Energized ?) when they see the snow outside, that would be cute !
    Sound effects would be nice. I know there were sounds for when it hailed and rained and when a tree caught on fire.

That would be super cute to see them excited with it. Probably playful moodlet would work. Oh I really want igloos again too and snowboarding ramps. It was cute, there was a special hot tub in Sims Vacation that had snow on it. Hot springs would be nice too which was in the Sims 2 Bon Voyage.

Sims 1 hot tub in the sunshine and snow.
    latest?cb=20130122040029
    sims1hottub-1.jpg
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    Now that I think about it, children and toddlers should have a Playful moodlet (or Energized ?) when they see the snow outside, that would be cute !

This is a great suggestion! <3 it!!!

Wow, I had to look it up to see when we received Seasons in TS3 (8th EP), and I'm surprised it was after Supernatural. It did take them a long while to release it. Total bummer. I had completely forgotten that it took that long. With TS2 it was the (5th EP), but still, you may be right in that we're in for a bit of a wait.

::insert extremely sad face::

Oh Seasons... I shall wait for thee! <3<3<3

tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

Wow, I had to look it up to see when we received Seasons in TS3 (8th EP), and I'm surprised it was after Supernatural. It did take them a long while to release it. Total bummer. I had completely forgotten that it took that long. With TS2 it was the (5th EP), but still, you may be right in that we're in for a bit of a wait.

Oh I didn't realize it was that long in TS3 either. :/
    At least, they'll have the time to add all our suggestions in it :wink:
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

Oh I didn't realize it was that long in TS3 either. :/
    At least, they'll have the time to add all our suggestions in it :wink:

Two and a half years for Sims 2, three and a half for Sims 3 :(
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    edited October 2015
    I've been following this thread for awhile but haven't really said anything because... well... sometimes you guys make me want to add Bailey's to my coffee. No offense intended. lol

Anyway, my take on the whole boycotting vs not boycotting issue is this.

If you hate TS4... boycott it and find something that makes you happy. Let your $'s speak for you but for the love of plumbobs don't let it turn you toxic.

If there is no TS5, then so be it. I am going to buy the things I like in TS4, and I don't rightly care how that affects TS5, whether it's negative or positive, because that's like comparing apples to oranges. If Maxis is unable to make TS4 stand on its own, then it has no business taking on TS5, from my point of view.

I know some of you might be thinking "I wish the Sims had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened." so you wouldn't have to suffer this disappointment you feel, and to that I say in my best Gandalf impersonation "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Sime friends, besides the will of evil."

Go forth to thy favorite sim titles fellow simmers, and SIM ON! Whether with blocky pixels, pudding faces, clay hair, or games fraught with babies inside dishwashers. I wish thee joy and I kind of hope the toddlers throw up on you. ;)

It's just I don't hate ts4 to the point that I would stop playing it. This doesn't mean I love it though, cause I'm not quite there yet. I think that the game is way more attractive than TS3 and I'm learning to love the cartoony look. I just dislike the gameplay. Many times I find myself bored with my sims cause they can't really play or do activities with other sims besides talking and maybe watching tv.

I think get together will fix that. I miss my sims playing catch, dancing together, playing football and stuff like that. Its also lacking NPCs and that bothers me. I also miss supernaturals and we won't get them for a while.

Scobre wrote: »
    I've been following this thread for awhile but haven't really said anything because... well... sometimes you guys make me want to add Bailey's to my coffee. No offense intended. lol

Anyway, my take on the whole boycotting vs not boycotting issue is this.

If you hate TS4... boycott it and find something that makes you happy. Let your $'s speak for you but for the love of plumbobs don't let it turn you toxic.

If you like TS4... buy it. Let your $'s speak for you and remember to provide feedback on what you liked and what needs improvements.

If there is no TS5, then so be it. I am going to buy the things I like in TS4, and I don't rightly care how that affects TS5, whether it's negative or positive, because that's like comparing apples to oranges. If Maxis is unable to make TS4 stand on its own, then it has no business taking on TS5, from my point of view.

I know some of you might be thinking "I wish the Sims had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened." so you wouldn't have to suffer this disappointment you feel, and to that I say in my best Gandalf impersonation "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Sime friends, besides the will of evil."

Go forth to thy favorite sim titles fellow simmers, and SIM ON! Whether with blocky pixels, pudding faces, clay hair, or games fraught with babies inside dishwashers. I wish thee joy and I kind of hope the toddlers throw up on you. ;)
    LOL this post made me chuckle, but very good. I do have another thread in OT for those that want to enjoy the Paradox sale going on now. So there are other entertainment choices. The Sims as hard as it may be at times isn't the only simulation game out there. There are many others.

Bailey's does sound really good right now. But ugh that is something I miss and should do again. I always thought it was funny babies and toddlers throwing up on my Sims for some reason. It made it feel more realistic. At the end of the day whatever happens to the Sims I agree is Maxis' decision.

Anyway what are you favorite seasons and what would you like to see? My favorite season is fall. I just love all the boots and coats and watching children and toddlers playing in puddles. The thunder storms and trees catching on fire can be quite entertaining too especially when the rain puts it out right away.

I actually miss all 4 seasons. I need them all or I get bored that's why it would kill me if they only add 2. Each season has a special thing. I miss winter the most even though i hate my sims being in outwear all the time. I miss rainy days too. I don't think i could just pick one season.

For TS4 I would love the festival grouds back and more thunderstorms. Since it would be the fourth remake of this EP i would expect: four seasons, natural disasters, emotions to work with seasons for example maybe spring will make sims flirty or winter will make them inspired i don't know, i also hope they bring the temperature system back like in TS2 where we could see when our sims were getting too cold or too hot, the game should also sync with get to work so sims can get sick according to the season, i expect some animals back too even if its random racoons or a fox and it has to be better than that chipmunk and NO costumes to replace NPCs.

I also think seasons should add more things for our sims to do like honey making, squeezing some fruits for juice, snow cones, maybe they can collect maple and sell it.

I think its time for a seasons EPs with new features instead of just picking the same ones over and over again.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    @Ponder_the_Sim , can I find the sim from your siggi in the gallery? I want to send her chain letters all day long.
    And a guru saying there is nothing about 4 that limits the ability to do seasons doesn't mean that there will be, nor how they will be implemented if they are. Or how many seasons. Just that they can 'do seasons'.

That's true but one of my biggest concerns has always been that in the end the engine could be a limiting factor for seasons. Allegedly it's not which is good, isn't it?

I wouldn't take an offhand twitter comment as gospel though either. If beards, bears, and a lounge chair animation are too hard and too costly to do in this engine, well, I'll believe it when I see it. ;)
    If you want to take those guru comments out of context then sure.

/shrug If thinking when they said making a bear would be too costly or that they don't have the tech to be able to easily do beards means that simple things are too hard and/or too costly for the engine is taking things out of context, then so be it. Until they really start to add on to the game with something other than new parties and a few objects I'm not seeing a ton of evidence to discredit that viewpoint.

a few objects?
    are you forgetting:
    pools
    ghosts
    half walls
    locking doors
    basements
    genealogy
    newcrest
    new careers
    all for free while working on other content, packs, and providing countless bug fixes.

And yes, you are taking those quotes out of context. The team couldn't justify the cost and work of animating a four-legged creature for a game pack that would provide nothing more than background noise. Animals are best saved for a pets EP.

They also couldn't justify the cost of chatting while fishing or cuddling in bed (said outright in one of the Ask A Guru threads) -- and these were just kind of part of previous sims games.

Multitasking came with some pretty severe limitations.
  • Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    I want raking and playing in leaves <3 I want pumpkin as a harvestable, and I want pumpkin pie, and pumpkin spice coffee recipes hehe.
  • AikeikoAikeiko Posts: 158 Member
    james64468 wrote: »
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    With the new Halloween SP coming up ppl have been complaining about seasons not been in the game, but this lady said that seasons aren't really possible in the sims 4 :/

Is it true?

I don't know what is true or not. Some facts is that Sims 4 gaming engine is more limited than the Sims 3 gaming engine. Think of The Sims 4 as a tablet game not as PC game. It would be very hard for them to add that.

Even the Andriod Sims Free Play has weather (If you get the Weather Vane from the Alien guy) If a phone / tablet game can do it, why can't TS4?
    edited October 2015
    ejoslin wrote: »
    @Ponder_the_Sim , can I find the sim from your siggi in the gallery? I want to send her chain letters all day long.
    And a guru saying there is nothing about 4 that limits the ability to do seasons doesn't mean that there will be, nor how they will be implemented if they are. Or how many seasons. Just that they can 'do seasons'.

That's true but one of my biggest concerns has always been that in the end the engine could be a limiting factor for seasons. Allegedly it's not which is good, isn't it?

I wouldn't take an offhand twitter comment as gospel though either. If beards, bears, and a lounge chair animation are too hard and too costly to do in this engine, well, I'll believe it when I see it. ;)
    If you want to take those guru comments out of context then sure.

/shrug If thinking when they said making a bear would be too costly or that they don't have the tech to be able to easily do beards means that simple things are too hard and/or too costly for the engine is taking things out of context, then so be it. Until they really start to add on to the game with something other than new parties and a few objects I'm not seeing a ton of evidence to discredit that viewpoint.

a few objects?
    are you forgetting:
    pools
    ghosts
    half walls
    locking doors
    basements
    genealogy
    newcrest
    new careers
    all for free while working on other content, packs, and providing countless bug fixes.

And yes, you are taking those quotes out of context. The team couldn't justify the cost and work of animating a four-legged creature for a game pack that would provide nothing more than background noise. Animals are best saved for a pets EP.

They also couldn't justify the cost of chatting while fishing or cuddling in bed (said outright in one of the Ask A Guru threads) -- and these were just kind of part of previous sims games.

Multitasking came with some pretty severe limitations.

I'll quote myself:
    I think expecting the sims 4 and it's timeline to be exactly like it's predecessors is only going to lead to disappointment.

If you don't think multitasking is worth certain sacrifices then that's fine, but I'll give up talking while fishing for all the situations that multitasking provides and contributes to.

And again, there's nothing saying cuddling wont be added in later.
    @ejoslin
    Do you remember where they talked about cuddling in bed ? That's something I would like to see returning, so I'm interested if there is any information about it.
    edited October 2015
    @ejoslin
    Do you remember where they talked about cuddling in bed ? That's something I would like to see returning, so I'm interested if there is any information about it.

It was in one of the eariler ask the gurus, I believe it was SimGuru Daniel (but I could be wrong -- this was close to a year ago). Basically, it was about chatting while fishing and cuddling in bed, and the guru said it would be very expensive to implement them. I'll give a quick look for it in my history, I guess, but it wouldn't be easy to find.

Edit: I can't find it, which means it was NOT SimGuruDaniel who wrote it. I'll look more later. I just remember it because it was when people were asking about cuddling in bed and chatting while fishing and these were things I was interested in and it made me sad to realize they most likely would not be coming back, though whoever answered did say it was possible.
    Orchid13 wrote: »

I actually miss all 4 seasons. I need them all or I get bored that's why it would kill me if they only add 2. Each season has a special thing. I miss winter the most even though i hate my sims being in outwear all the time. I miss rainy days too. I don't think i could just pick one season.

For TS4 I would love the festival grouds back and more thunderstorms. Since it would be the fourth remake of this EP i would expect: four seasons, natural disasters, emotions to work with seasons for example maybe spring will make sims flirty or winter will make them inspired i don't know, i also hope they bring the temperature system back like in TS2 where we could see when our sims were getting too cold or too hot, the game should also sync with get to work so sims can get sick according to the season, i expect some animals back too even if its random racoons or a fox and it has to be better than that chipmunk and NO costumes to replace NPCs.

I also think seasons should add more things for our sims to do like honey making, squeezing some fruits for juice, snow cones, maybe they can collect maple and sell it.

I think its time for a seasons EPs with new features instead of just picking the same ones over and over again.
    Yeah it would stink to only have two seasons. I mean I know EA has an office in California, but doesn't mean Sims should have two season California weather only. I love all four seasons as well. But it would be nice to be able to pick if you want to have 1 season or 2 seasons or 3 seasons or 4 seasons.

Festival grounds were a lot of fun. I think fairies could even change the weather at them when there was a tome there.

Those are all really nice ideas and yes it would be great to have that back. Neighborhood critters would be nice to have again. More nice ideas and yes juice squeezer in TS2 was great. I also hope Sims can arrange flowers again like TS2. I'm ok with some beloved old features coming back like some of the ones you mentioned along with some new ideas. It would be so cute if toddlers could make mud pies, eat mud, and play with ant hills. A sprinkler system that could both water plants and kids could play with would be nice. I actually loved the slip and slide that was in TS3. A tire swing for children would be cute as well as a teeter totter. It would be cool if they could build forts as well. I really hope Sims can swim in water again too. I wouldn't mind having houseboats, lifeguards, and boats back either. But I better stop before this becomes a vacation/season suggestions. XD
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    Seamoan wrote: »
    Seamoan wrote: »
    You all do realize that updated technology doesn't make object creation more difficult, right? It actually makes it less difficult and much quicker to accomplish. We're not talking about animating movies, we're talking about animating an NPC to have a couple few animations, using the logic and tools that they already built.

The thing that would make it more difficult to make a bear (lolololololol because as @Jarsie9 said above, it's a matter of sticking the bear costume on a sim and making 2-3 unique animations - which would take about an afternoon for a professional to accomplish), is lack of people. If there aren't the human resources to do spread out the work, then yes, it would become more difficult to divert resources to anything beyond what is planned out in stone.

Again, that falls into the "not my problem or concern" category. If EA doesn't feel like properly staffing their dev department, I'm not giving them my money so they can continue the pattern and I can continue getting subpar games. I'm not fond of companies trying to reprogram me into accepting their "new visions" when their "new visions" are totally based on giving the customer less in favor of making more money.

Exactly. How did animating a bear suddenly become this huge complex process pushing the envelope of technological advancement costing untold amounts of money and man hours? :o I mean seriously, its a frickin' bear. It shouldn't be that hard.

Now if Maxis had just said "look we had to let all our animators go due to cost cutting", at least that would make sense. As you said though, that's really their problem, not mine. All I want to see is a quality product, but at least it would have made more sense than saying "oh yeah, animating a bear is just like super hard and expensive dude, sorry".

It's insultingly funny. If technology makes these things so much harder, then we would never ever have new technology. What would be the point? "Oh no boss lady/man, it took me a week last year to create this thing, but since they upgraded photoshop, visual studio and blender, it's now going to take me a month because of progress. And I'll be taking a long lunch today to go pick up my new iphone that promises to increase the time for text delivery between users and cap the download speeds because of progress!" :D

Yep advanced technology is supposed to make things easier not harder. The Sims 4 developers are the only game developers who make technological advancement sound like going backwards and the sad thing that some players agree with them too, as if they are not playing other games to see what can be done!

Just throwing out a few comments made by gurus about difficulty and cost and how it relates to TS4.

June 26th, 2014
    One of the really big changes with Sims 4 and something that was an early directive for the game was to put powerful tools in designer's hands so that they could focus on adding content and increasing the depth of the content in the game without needing an engineer to implement or iterate on new functionality and new interactions every time we wanted something. ~ Graham Nardone

January 30, 2015
    Maxis is having us downgrade some software to a more cost effective version, which means I'm playing the Progress Bar game this morning!
    @ RosiaMia_ Worried? Nope, it's just dev tools & the cheaper version is quite sufficient. Heck, it saves money so we can spend elsewhere! ~Steve Lansing

So yeah, they themselves said it would be easier and less expensive.

Yep all is EA thinking about this game how to make its building cost "CHEAPER"
    That was the case since the release of the game and until now.

This game is never going to get better with this kind of mentality.
    The more people boycott the game and its packs, the less their revenues will be so the cheaper they would want to go and cut things more harshly.
    This will be a continuous cycle and the game will suffer big time in the coming months because of this strategy.

Therefore I am also quite sure that the sales numbers for the Sims 4 will be the deciding factor for EA when EA determins the size of the budget for the Sims 5. People should boycott TS4 only if they want TS5 to be a smaller and cheaper game.

TS5 will be a mobile game. That has been decided already. It will be a cross platform game if it will be made.
    I don't care about if there will be TS5 or not. I am done with that and got over it already. All I know is that I will support any game that gives me the value of my money.

I am not going to support a game that is going backwards in its development.
    I don't think that TS5 will ever be made if EA assess that it won't be profitable as a PC game - and I doubt that we will see mobile versions of TS4 either like we did with TS3. The reason is that EA already has the Sims Freeplay which seems to just get more content all the time which proves to me that it is very profitable even though people aren't forced to pay. So for mobile platforms I just don't believe that EA wants to make new Sims games which compete with the Sims Freeplay. The reason is that EA probably doesn't want to use money on making another Sims game which most likely only would steal customers from another already released mobile Sims game.

I therefore also don't see a mobile version of TS5 as very likely because I find it much more likely that EA will just let Firemonkeys make the Sims Freeplay version 2 instead. Remember that the Sims Freeplay seems to be much more successful than any earlier mobile Sims game made by Maxis. This indicates strongly that EA now only will let Maxis make Sims games for PC and consoles while EA instead will let Firemonkeys make all the mobile games.

So either TS5 will probably still be a PC game (with a possible version for consoles too) or it won't be released at all. If not then it won't at all be the first time that EA has stopped a successful game series when sales numbers go down because they had released a dubious game with low sales numbers. EA is therefore likely to do that again with the main PC version of the Sims series - all though EA still maybe could make smaller Sims games like Medieval or Life Stories even if the main Sims series was stopped.

I don't encourage people to neither buy TS4 to support the series to continue nor to boycott TS4 hoping to increase the chance for toddlers or whatever people may use as a reason because none of those actions are likely to have any effect. Only maybe about 1% of the game's customers ever visit this forum and only very few of those forum users are likely to participate in either a boycott or in a campaign to support the continuation of the series by buying extra games. Such actions will be like pooring a few gallons of water into the oceans hoping that the water levels in the oceans will then raise so much that it really matters ;)
    edited October 2015
    Found it! It was SimGuruJim. We definitely wanted Sims to be able to fish and socialize at the same time. Unfortunately, there are technical restrictions that make that a very expensive proposition. Same answer for the bed. But, trust me, these are on our radar and we want them too. So, if these are important to you, make sure to mention them, and if there is enough interest, they may move up on our list of priorities.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12947649/#Comment_12947649

Edit: This post is also the reason I keep talking here about the things I want added to the game. They WANT to hear us and know what we feel is important. At least they did when this was written.

It is a limitation with the engine, I would imagine, that would make these so difficult and expensive now when they weren't in previous iterations of the game.
    edited October 2015
    @ejoslin You should make a thread about it, and I (and Im sure many others) will support it.
    edited October 2015
    @ejoslin You should make a thread about it, and I (and Im sure many others) will support it.

It's been done, many times. Just do a search for "cuddling." As you can see, we talked directly to the gurus about it as well. I don't think that was the first time we heard that something was "very expensive" therefore low priority. Babies not tied to cribs, same reason.
    You know, this is what I think bothers me most about the whole, "Fans want a lot of things." (laugh) Yes, we do want a lot of things, but so many of the things that are being asked for were things that were in the previous games -- and I'm talking base game. It is not the fans' fault that the Sims team went with a new engine that couldn't handle what were considered basics in older games.

As far as seasons goes, though, right now, two are being considered. They may consider fans who ask for four 'asking for a lot." But I'd still ask. They do want us to like the game, after all. The engine wasn't the fault of most of the programmers either.
    Found it! It was SimGuruJim. We definitely wanted Sims to be able to fish and socialize at the same time. Unfortunately, there are technical restrictions that make that a very expensive proposition. Same answer for the bed. But, trust me, these are on our radar and we want them too. So, if these are important to you, make sure to mention them, and if there is enough interest, they may move up on our list of priorities.

Edit: This post is also the reason I keep talking here about the things I want added to the game. They WANT to hear us and know what we feel is important. At least they did when this was written.

It is a limitation with the engine, I would imagine, that would make these so difficult and expensive now when they weren't in previous iterations of the game.

Thanks a lot ! I was looking into the Ask a Guru thread but you've been quicker :)

It seems it was more about relaxing in bed, than what I had in mind for cuddling (which was while sleeping), but relaxing in bed is something I would like to see too. I would definitely support your thread about it ! The fact that those are on their radar is a good news, there has been an interest for lounge chairs too, which seems like it might be the same sort of thing so hopefully it has already move up their list of priorities a little !
    edited October 2015

Thanks a lot ! I was looking into the Ask a Guru thread but you've been quicker :)

It seems it was more about relaxing in bed, than what I had in mind for cuddling (which was while sleeping), but relaxing in bed is something I would like to see too. I would definitely support your thread about it ! The fact that those are on their radar is a good news, there has been an interest for lounge chairs too, which seems like it might be the same sort of thing so hopefully it has already move up their list of priorities a little !

Look how old the ask a guru is :/ If you read all the comments leading up to it, you can see it's about relaxing in bed, cuddling in bed, and chatting when fishing. And it's close to a year old, and nada. There have been several threads about this subsequent to this particular Ask A Guru session. I believe there was one about the invisible line down the bed from earlier this week or last week.

As far as spooning goes, the beds themselves look like they're actually two separate beds, and the sims never go onto the other side of it. When they sleep, the line down the center isn't invisible.
    edited October 2015

I miss Sims lounging in the recliner/lounge chair and bed when reading a book too. I mean nothing like a rainy day for a Sim to lay down and enjoy reading a good book.

@ejoslin I am starting to cringe whenever the word potential is used though or that we are asking too much. It is like what are we to expect? Sims 4 not reaching the potential of the Sims 1 or Sims Freeplay even? Nope, sorry I won't be compliant about that. I want better for the game and not a repeat of SimCity 2013.

But I do love this song about potential:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgwAo7HmmhU
    You know, this is what I think bothers me most about the whole, "Fans want a lot of things." (laugh) Yes, we do want a lot of things, but so many of the things that are being asked for were things that were in the previous games -- and I'm talking base game. It is not the fans' fault that the Sims team went with a new engine that couldn't handle what were considered basics in older games.

As far as seasons goes, though, right now, two are being considered. They may consider fans who ask for four 'asking for a lot." But I'd still ask. They do want us to like the game, after all. The engine wasn't the fault of most of the programmers either.

I've understood this answer as a "We can't everything at once, things takes time, there's a lot of things so some of them takes longer". And that was the case in previous games too, we didn't have everything at once either : Pets or Seasons are popular requests but still took time to come.
    Scobre wrote: »

I miss Sims lounging in the recliner/lounge chair and bed when reading a book too. I mean nothing like a rainy day for a Sim to lay down and enjoy reading a good book.

I couldn't agree more, every time I play my bookworm Sims and they are sitting for reading I pity them.
    edited October 2015

I've understood this answer as a "We can't everything at once, things takes time, there's a lot of things so some of them takes longer". And that was the case in previous games too, we didn't have everything at once either : Pets or Seasons are popular requests but still took time to come.

But this isn't about expansion pack stuff. These were basic base-game things that are being requested that are now too expensive because of their current engine, or because of multitasking, or most likely, both. They're also not new-shiny things.

People have been making threads and asking for this stuff, being ignored, being called "hater," getting people trying to shout them down, etc. I also understand that not all things can be done at once, but I'd certainly like a clue whether they're going to be done at all.

But this is why you see people say, "no, too hard, too expensive." Because that has been what we've been told about many, many things. And I believe these things are technically difficult and expensive to implement. But what I don't understand is why they chose an engine that made these things so technically difficult and expensive. Or why they thought people wouldn't notice/care.

Edit: I'll add this: We learned not too long ago that toddlers have not been worked on at all. They're considering them for an expansion pack, and if they do that, they'll work on them. Toddlers in my game, I really don't care, but they're symbolic of so many things to me where people asked, were polite, never let it go, and were mislead and nothing happened at all.

I couldn't agree more, every time I play my bookworm Sims and they are sitting for reading I pity them.
    Yeah I mean I know it is such a small thing, but it is like all those little things that made my Sims feel special. Daydreaming in bed was nice too. Reading while sitting on the bed just isn't the same. Makes it feel like the bed is more like a couch.
    edited October 2015

But this isn't about expansion pack stuff. These were basic base-game things that are being requested that are now too expensive because of their current engine, or because of multitasking, or most likely, both. They're also not new-shiny things.

People have been making threads and asking for this stuff, being ignored, being called "hater," getting people trying to shout them down, etc. I also understand that not all things can be done at once, but I'd certainly like a clue whether they're going to be done at all.

But this is why you see people say, "no, too hard, too expensive." Because that has been what we've been told about many, many things. And I believe these things are technically difficult and expensive to implement. But what I don't understand is why they chose an engine that made these things so technically difficult and expensive. Or why they thought people wouldn't notice/care.

Well I also have things in my base game that were in EPs before : gardening and fishing for example, which came in Seasons only in TS2, or kids playing the violin (second to last TS2 EPs), or the dating system. Whether sticking to the same set of features or mixing them is better is a subject we probably could fill a whole thread about. And everybody has a different opinion about it most likely.

I think people may be overinterpreting the too hard, too expensive. As far as I know of, it was only used when talking about the scope of an EP or GP in particular, not in a broadest sense. There's not that much things for which they said "No, it won't happen" : CaSt and open world mainly. And teens height changing I think. Sadly this forum is an echo chamber and some things the Gurus said are repeated and distorted (like the impossible pool) so it's quite hard to keep track of everything. That's sad if it stops people from posting their feedback and suggestion though.

But looking in a Ask a Guru threads, they have added quite a lot of things already, it may not be enough for some, but still a good thing.