Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• JoieWilderJoieWilder Posts: 2,513 Member
    Eeee! I'm so excited. I can't wait to read all the amazing stories these prompts will inspire. I hope I can come up with something good for this one.
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    edited October 2015
    @Carewren123

Hey there everyone here is the poll VOTE NOW. Just as a reminder please choose a different story for Each place ^^ 1st place choice will get 3 points, 2nd place choice gets 2 points and 3rd place choice gets one point. The story with the most points wins :)

Let me know if it works for you or if anything is fishy ^^ The poll will be open for 5 days. Happy voting!
    Post edited by Julyvee94 on
    Oh this vote is harder than I thought it was going to be. I thought I knew exactly who I wanted to vote for but now it's so hard to decide!
  • BruNCC93BruNCC93 Posts: 209 Member
    Voted!
    Finally got time to finish everyone's stories and wow it's incredible to see how different they are despite the prompt
    Awesome work everyone and good luck! :smiley:
    [
    It's going to be a long five days!
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Yay for the new theme! I will start brainstorming soon! :)

And you for the poll, but ahhh! I need to re-read some stories before I can vote :tongue: I am fairly certain I know which 3 are my favorites, but I'm having an issue deciding the order to vote for them in. Hmm...
    snvAF3B.png
  • sabreenesabreene Posts: 1,152 Member
    I just finished reading them all a few days ago, but I still feel like I need to go back and read them all again. Narrowing it down and then putting them in order is hard!

I'm also excited about the new prompt, but as per usual have no ideas yet. Well, that's not exactly true. Ever seen a cat play with a laser pointer? My process is similar. Only there's about twenty laser pointers all swinging wildly about while my mind tries to follow them all... and just when I'm about to go, a-ha! got one! --that laser pointer turns off. So nope, got nothing. I'm sure something will come... five days before the end of the month :blush:
    Aw man @BBQPenguinWings that story I wrote for Krysti to tell at your event could have totally been turned into a submission for this month! Haha oh well :tongue:
    snvAF3B.png
    Handling the poll is fun ^^ I can see which countries the participants are from and how long they took to vote ^^ lol!
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Hello all!

I stumbled across this thread last night and got so caught up in it I read the whole thing (including all the last round stories) in one marathon session! o.O Y'all are such good writers! I like how everyone is so open, supportive and respectful of each other too, it feels very friendly and optimistic in this thread. I love that! <3

I enjoyed writing back in the day and was very involved with roleplay, writing contests, short stories, group stories for the exchange, writing prompts, etc., etc. on my old TS2 forum. We also participated in JulNoWriMo and NanoWriMo. So, I'm intrigued. I like the idea of having an entire month to write. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and like to take my time with any project I'm involved in, whether it's building, writing or photo editing.

The point of all my rambling is that I'm seriously thinking about entering, it sounds like a lot of fun. Especially since there isn't a quick deadline to stress me out. hehe BTW I voted in the poll too! Now, I just need to think of something to write! It's been forever since I've written anything so I'm very rusty and dusty. ;)

Perhaps something will come to me in a dream, I need to get some sleep. *yawns* Have a great day/night!
  • MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    I already have an idea for this month :) excited!

I sort of do. Just to see if it will work in practise :)
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
    sabreene wrote: »
    I just finished reading them all a few days ago, but I still feel like I need to go back and read them all again. Narrowing it down and then putting them in order is hard!

I'm also excited about the new prompt, but as per usual have no ideas yet. Well, that's not exactly true. Ever seen a cat play with a laser pointer? My process is similar. Only there's about twenty laser pointers all swinging wildly about while my mind tries to follow them all... and just when I'm about to go, a-ha! got one! --that laser pointer turns off. So nope, got nothing. I'm sure something will come... five days before the end of the month :blush:

That's my entire process broken down in one paragraph. :D I am such a pantser that everything I write is "in the moment". Perhaps I waste time writing stuff, only to find it doesn't work, but it's exciting! :)

August was soooooo hard to choose. I'm thinking that this September's entries are no different.
    dustshaela.jpg
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Hello all!

I stumbled across this thread last night and got so caught up in it I read the whole thing (including all the last round stories) in one marathon session! o.O Y'all are such good writers! I like how everyone is so open, supportive and respectful of each other too, it feels very friendly and optimistic in this thread. I love that! <3

I enjoyed writing back in the day and was very involved with roleplay, writing contests, short stories, group stories for the exchange, writing prompts, etc., etc. on my old TS2 forum. We also participated in JulNoWriMo and NanoWriMo. So, I'm intrigued. I like the idea of having an entire month to write. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and like to take my time with any project I'm involved in, whether it's building, writing or photo editing.

The point of all my rambling is that I'm seriously thinking about entering, it sounds like a lot of fun. Especially since there isn't a quick deadline to stress me out. hehe BTW I voted in the poll too! Now, I just need to think of something to write! It's been forever since I've written anything so I'm very rusty and dusty. ;)

Perhaps something will come to me in a dream, I need to get some sleep. *yawns* Have a great day/night!

Welcome! You get a high-five for your effort!
    k7attzm.gif

You should enter, it's really fun and challenging. So awesome to see where everyone takes the theme each month.
    dustshaela.jpg
    I think his has been discussed before, but I have a weird question :tongue: If we have something we've written that doesn't meet the challenge rules (making it ineligible for "official" submission), but it still fits the prompt, can we post in the the thread just for fun/to share? And then write a real entry later??

I ask because I'm participating in one of the Freezerbunny Holiday events (for @BBQPenguinWings ) and part of participating included writing a short scary story. I know I can't submit it for the challenge, but I wonder if I'd be allowed to share it just for fun because it fits the theme? Maybe? I was already thinking of adding a few screenshots to it and posting it on my "Sims Shorts" website anyway.

(But I also don't know if Wings minds if I share the story anywhere else before she posts her Halloween Spooktacular! So let me know either way, wings! I could wait if you want!)

I'm going to attempt to make a final decision and go vote on the September stories now :tongue:
    snvAF3B.png
  • StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    I think his has been discussed before, but I have a weird question :tongue: If we have something we've written that doesn't meet the challenge rules (making it ineligible for "official" submission), but it still fits the prompt, can we post in the the thread just for fun/to share? And then write a real entry later??

I ask because I'm participating in one of the Freezerbunny Holiday events (for @BBQPenguinWings ) and part of participating included writing a short scary story. I know I can't submit it for the challenge, but I wonder if I'd be allowed to share it just for fun because it fits the theme? Maybe? I was already thinking of adding a few screenshots to it and posting it on my "Sims Shorts" website anyway.

(But I also don't know if Wings minds if I share the story anywhere else before she posts her Halloween Spooktacular! So let me know either way, wings! I could wait if you want!)

I'm going to attempt to make a final decision and go vote on the September stories now :tongue:

I believe that discussion was regarding my first months entry and the verdict was that you can only share your final submission here.

edited October 2015

I believe that discussion was regarding my first months entry and the verdict was that you can only share your final submission here.

Aww, okay :( Bummer! I would have loved to share. Thanks for the answer though!
    snvAF3B.png
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    I actually have an idea right away! I had already come up with two ideas yesterday that could both work depending what the prompt was, and it looks like only the second one will work.
    @CitizenErased14 no one can keep you from posting it in your Sims shorts though XD the verdict was just so this thread could focus on the actual submissions and that submissions dont get overshadowed by uneligible entries ^^
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    @CitizenErased14 no one can keep you from posting it in your Sims shorts though XD the verdict was just so this thread could focus on the actual submissions and that submissions dont get overshadowed by uneligible entries ^^

Yes, @Julyvee94 but no one looks at my short story blog unless it's from this thread :lol:

Oh well, maybe I'll spam the lounge with it and hope someone will read it :tongue: (not really "spam", I'm not THAT bad... Haha)
    snvAF3B.png
    Ugh, I'm kicking myself because I'm stumped for ideas! I shouldn't have been so eager and written that ghost story ahead of time :lol:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    edited August 2016
    September's Final Submissions

September's Theme: It all started when I opened...
    Opening phrase: Instead of an actual theme, this month everyone must begin their story with the same phrase.

*Feel free to change the "I" to another pronoun if you don't plan to write your story in 1st person.
    *Also just as a quick reminder the maximum number of screenshots has been increased to 12.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Submissions:

The Gift by @CitizenErased14 (2nd Place Winner)
    The Butterfly Effect by @Ruby10990
    Oxford Manor by @lizzielilyyyy
    Affliction by @putacece4lyfe
    Hidden Sadness by @Pegasus143
    Room with a View by @JoieWilder
    Welcome Home by @Jes2G
    Change of Plans by @BruNCC93
    A Bad Idea by @RachelRosebud (3rd Place Winner)
    Mishandling Misinformation on Mondays by @sabreene (1st Place Winner)
    The Spice Merchant's Story by @CathyTea
    You're the Writer by @aroseinbloom
    My Boyfriend & My Best Friend by @Carewren123
    Post edited by Carewren123 on
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Hello all!

Welcome!
    edited October 2015
    edited October 2015

I would prefer it to be on my post, that way the readers read it on my event. Having it on this thread not as a submission takes away from that. But you will be credited and your blog linked to abd if you add pictures they can go to your blog and abd see your illustration :)

. But if you would like to give me another story andtake that one for submission here since it hasn't been posted yet, i dont mind.