Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

5 Reasons Spooky Stuff May Not Sell Well

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Member
    edited September 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • GhedrainGhedrain Posts: 48 Member
    I agree the pack should have been a free update such as with the other holiday items. However, I will still purchase it because it is fun for me to play around with spooky themed stuff. Halloween is not a holiday in the country where I live and so I want to have fun celebrating Halloween or "Spooky Day" in the Sims. As for the lack of content, stuff packs are supposed to be build/buy mode type of purchases not actual content implementation. To me it appears that the content packs cost more and add a lot more interaction to the game than the stuff packs.
  • SprinklesBonBonSprinklesBonBon Posts: 2,727 Member
    I'm looking forward to the pack actually...although I do agree it would make sense if this was in a Seasons game pack or something...make's me wonder if they aren't planning an individual stuff pack for winter :o (I'm not giving them any ideas lol). But I can't help but think about it.
    Still waiting for Toddlers...
  • lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    Halloween is awesome and I live in the UK although I'm originally from America but everyone I know in the UK celebrates Halloween (although I know some people don't) and I have a Simming friend who's a Aussie who runs building contest and she's putting some up based around Halloween. So I don't think it has to be just an American thing but to each is own :) and, happy Simming to you all!
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

• JasonSim16JasonSim16 Posts: 466 Member
    Honestly, the people who thought up The Sims franchise and associated games were AMERICAN so, of course, American holidays are going to be incorporated with the game. I'd rather that happen then lose originality in where the game was manufactured by trying to appease everyone globally. The game would have no distinction if they were trying not to offend and incorporate Everyone. I think it already does a good job as to why it has became a global game. I also think those American implements bring some of the US to different regions of the world.
    71rbpi.png
  • Angelllite7Angelllite7 Posts: 9,730 Member
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    While in my country it's not a big thing to celebrate Halloween, I always liked to throw Halloween parties in my sims' games, but the main reason was because we had a Spooky Day holiday that came with seasons and it made sense to throw a party on that day and go trick or treating and whatnot. In TS4 with the never ending summer it feels kind of weird celebrating holidays like Christmas and Halloween.

Where I live, we actually celebrate Christmas in Summer, so it's always been a little odd for me that it's celebrated in Winter lol which also means that Halloween is celebrated in Spring here.... makes it even weirder for me when watching Holiday movies tbh.

Same here, Aussie or Kiwi?

That is why I didn't like the fact Sims 3 Seasons forced the holiday party to be part of each season, it was just weird seeing my sims wearing coats with snow for Christmas. To me christmas is eating hot steaming roast wearing a nice summer dress and drinking ice cold white wine. So I like that we can throw a "spooky" party any time in this pack. So If I want to throw on in my sim game October but in the season of spring (when we finally get seasons) I can. :)

I undertand that. It could be cool for them to untie holidays from the seasons. A tropical Christmas, oh the possibility posibilities!
  • Lollipop234Lollipop234 Posts: 251 Member
    Spooky Stuff will be the first stuff pack I will not purchase. I know I have said that many times in the past and then ended up buying the pack anyway ( :# ), but this time I'm really not interested. Mainly because I know that I wouldn't use the items that much. The objects I have seen so far are not really suitable for anything else but Halloween, so most of the year they would be just useless items in my catalog and I really can live without them. The costumes are also something that I don't really care about right now. The pumpkin carving would have been a cute thing to have but that alone is really not worth the money for me. In my country Halloween isn't that big of a deal so maybe that's why I don't really care about this stuff pack. I rather get some custom content that I can take out of game as soon as Halloween is over!

But that's ok! No hate for this pack, I see many people are excited for it and really want to have that stuff in their games. I will save that money so I can spend it on other things or maybe the next pack they will release! No one is forced to buy this stuff pack.
    I'm playing the Sims since day 1.
    I hate my username (Please forgive my younger self)
    Origin ID: VanillaxSimmer
    Raines legacy family tree

Visit my simblr!
  • DyingLightDyingLight Posts: 309 Member
    JasonSim16 wrote: »
    Honestly, the people who thought up The Sims franchise and associated games were AMERICAN so, of course, American holidays are going to be incorporated with the game. I'd rather that happen then lose originality in where the game was manufactured by trying to appease everyone globally. The game would have no distinction if they were trying not to offend and incorporate Everyone. I think it already does a good job as to why it has became a global game. I also think those American implements bring some of the US to different regions of the world.

The Sims 3 store used to sell things associated with another cultures. There was a set that had stuff from india, mexico, africa, XVIII france among others. It is close-minded to assume that just because the game is made in america, everything must relate to the american culture. IMO bringing things from other cultures into the game makes the game more interesting. Anyway, I don't have any problem with a Halloween themed stuff pack, many cultures (not just America) celebrate that holiday, even Mexico, which also celebrates the day of the death (or something like that) just a few days after halloween, that's why they celebrate both holidays at the same time.
  • ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    I don't get all the hate for this SP. The lovers hate on the add on's, the haters love the add on's hate the base game. Lord have mercy what the Sims has come to. I can't! LOL

This pack was one of the most requested "sets" for the Sims 3 store, it never came to be released. "The Sims" has a history of adding in or incorporating ideas that weren't done in the previous series early in the next. It's been like this since Sims 1 into Sims 2. University was a big requested thing during the end of The Sims. But everyone was like "university??? Why is this the first EP". University didn't go over well when it was announced but became a fan favorite. Another example is the constant "more jobs taking your Sims to work! More vacation destinations" those didn't get done in Sims 2, and were promptly released in Sims 3 (World Adventures/Ambitions). Flash forward to Sims3 to 4. What was one of the most requested expansion packs that didn't make it in Sims 3 because WA was a botch? Vacations, and Open for business. The First "Game Pack" coupled with the base games set up allowed vacations to be introduced very quickly, and I see more "destinations" with themes being game packs in the future. Then there was GTW which was obviously a way to show off what the new engine can do (working hospitals, police stations, science labs) and businesses. It's always been like that.

So I totally get why this stuff pack was done. I hate that it's getting so much hate right now. I absolutely love it! If the Sims 4 lasts 5 years like Sims 3 did, and they release approximately 10 SP's a year, that's 50 stuff packs! I'm sure you'll get something you want in another! Why all the hate!?

I hate when people get mad at other peoples stuff. Im not into the whole supernatural thing, but I loved that it made so many simmers happy. I bought it to enjoy it with everyone else.

If you don't want it, don't get it, but why such huge complaints? Stuff Packs are little niche concepts to help everyone get what they want in game.

:(
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    @Conclue Again I'm not "hating" on anything. The flavor of the day is again disappointment. This might have been a fun pack for me but I can't even build what some elements in the pack are used for until my ghosts stop being culled.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
    I'd like to add that if I was playing the Sims 4, I would have been refreshing origin all morning. I'm so happy this pack was done and can not wait to play with it in game.

As angry as I am with decisions that were made for the base game launch, and the seemingly lack of interaction with the communities since the launch; I do think the new era of "content" add on packs are way better than it used to be. We're getting more bang for our buck with GP's taking over Stuff Packs place and Stuff Packs being little DLC content packs for 10 dollars and we get more than we would have in the Sims 3 store. The GP's allow for great themes to be done that don't need to be in EP's. They're even adding "content" beyond objects and clothing for the Stuff Packs, like a store set. I absolutely love how they rearranged all that. Who says you need to buy everything that is released?

For those simmers out there like me, think of it this way. EP's and GP's are the offical add on packs, and "Stuff Packs" are little DLC sets you can add to your game. If you follow the rule of "Get everything" like I do and always have, (except the store stuff) limit that to the "big add on packs" like Expansions and Game Packs and allow the DLC stuff packs to be extra stuff if you want it.

Okay rant over. I love how I rant about how they messed up with Sims4 and what they did right with Sims 4. LOL
    @Conclue Again I'm not "hating" on anything. The flavor of the day is again disappointment. This might have been a fun pack for me but I can't even build what some elements in the pack are used for until my ghosts stop being culled.

100% agree with you. I refuse to move on to the Sims 4 until it's brought up to par. What was the sense of this limited restricted engine with limited control and custom ability (You could add lots for days in Sims 2, along with Sims) and then have a game that's constantly "clearing out" unplayed Sims. It's ludicrous.

I just think the best thing about Sims 4 is the games engine (so you can travel between worlds, and everything interconnected game play wise), and the new concept of add on packs. I think they nailed that aspect. I whole heartedly agree with you.

Look at my case. I finally am getting a "set" i really wanted in the Sims for years. We got some in 2, even better in 3 (but no decorations really) and finally now we have a set that even gives us some PC items to hold us over until a Seasons/Holiday EP is re-created for Sims 4 but will likely just "blend in well" with that EP's features, but I can't even enjoy it because they have disappointed me so badly with the Sims 4 that even when I thought "let me give the game a chance while it's on "game time" I realized "whats the sense until culling is fixed". I wouldn't buy this game now if toddlers, cars, seasons were all released in two weeks with a bug like that culling thing. NEVER. Why bother?

I'm *STILL* enjoying all that hardwork I put into Pleasantview, Bluewater, my custom Sim City downtown and the beautiful destinations for vacations. SO MUCH WORK, and it's still a joy to play. I know Sims 4 will get there soon, but I dont know when.

Do we know who the new EP is for the Sims 4?
  • ByondTime89ByondTime89 Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited September 2015
    I didn't get it, but I'm curious to know how it sold on its first day.
    Gallery & Origin ID: ByondTime89
    I was just reading some of SG Grahams tweets. It looks like more goals to unlock the lama costume. You have to throw a party and get a gold medal.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • JustKeepSimmingJustKeepSimming Posts: 3,447 Member
    edited September 2015
    I disagree, coming from an employee of a retailer who has stocked this - this stuff pack has been selling like hot cakes amongst the big game release that we had today!
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I was just reading some of SG Grahams tweets. It looks like more goals to unlock the lama costume. You have to throw a party and get a gold medal.

FYI, people who've done it are saying it's an easy goal to meet.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

Easy or hard isn't the point. Did you ever have to unlock any content when you bought a stuff pack or store content for TS3?

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

Easy or hard isn't the point. Did you ever have to unlock any content when you bought a stuff pack or store content for TS3?

I have no idea. Unlocking content has never been a big enough deal for me to pay that much attention. I was simply providing information. It might be of interest to someone who's playing the game.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited September 2015
    Nevermind. :|
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
    Nevermind. :|

I was about to respond when you edited your post. I don't feel entitled to anything. I'm not even buying the pack. i was posting information for players who already feel there is too much do this to get that going on in the game.

I have no idea. Unlocking content has never been a big enough deal for me to pay that much attention. I was simply providing information. It might be of interest to someone who's playing the game.

That's what I was doing also....providing information.

• Ulfric_GrimbrandUlfric_Grimbrand Posts: 681 Member
    I like spooky, horror type stuff, and I'm hoping this fits some of my need for spooky. Will I get it? Yes, as soon as I can. Will I keep the stuff year-round in my house? Definitely. Will I turn Willow Creek into a Gothic - Victorian neighborhood again? Oh yeah, bring on the spooky! (Well, as spooky as The Sims can get anyway).

Who ever disagreed with this statement, I just want to say, you're being a plum. What is there to disagree with what I intend to do with it?
  • TessaLee74TessaLee74 Posts: 278 Member
    I disagree, coming from an employee of a retailer who has stocked this - this stuff pack has been selling like hot cakes amongst the big game release that we had today!

Are the stuff packs sold in stores?
    I like spooky, horror type stuff, and I'm hoping this fits some of my need for spooky. Will I get it? Yes, as soon as I can. Will I keep the stuff year-round in my house? Definitely. Will I turn Willow Creek into a Gothic - Victorian neighborhood again? Oh yeah, bring on the spooky! (Well, as spooky as The Sims can get anyway).

Who ever disagreed with this statement, I just want to say, you're being a plum. What is there to disagree with what I intend to do with it?

Don't worry some little special snowflake has picked you to disagree with today.

• Ulfric_GrimbrandUlfric_Grimbrand Posts: 681 Member

Don't worry some little special snowflake has picked you to disagree with today.

Just have to adore those wonderful tolerant people who believe that if you don't think as they do, that you need to be punished.

What retailer is that? In a B and M store?