Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seasons EP Impossible?

Comments

• PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited September 2015
    I cannot help but laughing when people in these forums start speculating about what's possible and what's not possible with the game's engine as if they were engineers or professional game devs. It happened with the sims 3 too, people were concerned that weather was impossible in the open world (which, by the way also had backdrops although they were farther away). But it happened. Since I'm no expert in the field, I cannot speculate about what's technically feasible but from a purely commercial point of view, I highly doubt EA released a sims game where weather was technically impossible to add, since they must be well aware that Seasons is always one of the best-selling EPs.
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    edited September 2015
    Maxis can make some pretty poor decisions, but I do not believe they'd set themselves up for such an epic fail and develop a game that can't have functional seasons or pets (their top sellers). I've no love for toddlers and do not miss them, but even those I believe will be added in a generations EP. Rachel Franklin's response was taken out of context by most simmers in regards to toddlers. "That’s the decision that we made based on all of the information that we had at the time. So absolutely, I feel like it’s the best decision for the game to date. I’m not talking about future stuff." When I read that statement, I do not see the "no toddlers ever" statement that other simmers saw.
    Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/14/the-future-of-the-sims-4-interview-it-is-kind-of-like-life-5390869/#ixzz3mxf7vrpY

The tendency to overreact and get dramatic is very strong on the forums. Speculation is just that, speculation. There is one thing that EA loves a lot, though, and that's a high grossing game. They're not going to pass up on the 3 things that could earn them the highest grossing EP sales.

Please don't think of Maxis now as the same Maxis that worked on wonderful games in the past. The team has changed a lot. Many gurus have left already. The in charge ones have left too. The new Maxis is merged with Mobile gaming team.

The new name is Mobile Maxis and it is different than the Maxis we know and are familiar with. This is a fact that we as players kept forgetting. The biggest sign was how TS4 was treated at release. From here it has been going down and down. No miracle will happen.

The latest merger was the last nail.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    QDog wrote: »
    I cannot help but laughing when people in these forums start speculating about what's possible and what's not possible with the game's engine as if they were engineers or professional game devs. It happened with the sims 3 too, people were concerned that weather was impossible in the open world (which, by the way also had backdrops although they were farther away). But it happened. Since I'm no expert in the field, I cannot speculate about what's technically feasible but from a purely commercial point of view, I highly doubt EA released a sims game where weather was technically impossible to add, since they must be well aware that Seasons is always one of the best-selling EPs.

People speculated pools weren't gonna be in the game, teens would be as tall as adults, toddlers wouldn't come back and cars were gonna be deco. All came true. I'm not speculating about weather , but people have and it wouldn't surprise me if they were right. Also people didn't see supermaturals in the trailer of get together, and oh yeah, they were right.

You can laugh all you want, but up till now simmers have pretty much predicted many of the things , if not all the things that are missing in this game.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    I will wait and see.
    I remember the arguments I had with simmers who said Seasons was impossible in The Sims 3.

I had a good laugh.
    Screenshot-186.jpg
    Screenshot-185.jpg

I am not as sure for TS4, but time will tell.

Awesome pics :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited September 2015
    The good thing is: After playing this game with all it's dlc my expectations are already at a minimum. It's impossible to disappointe me even more at this point. Maxis, if you somehow manage to bring back global (!!) weather - great. If it is not possible (since the Sims 4 in reality is a Sims 1,5 - the mobile version) I don't care.

It was your choice to use code and an engine from the 90's, now you have to deal with it.
    Post edited by HalloMolli on
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Member
    edited September 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited September 2015
    Orchid13 wrote: »

People speculated pools weren't gonna be in the game, teens would be as tall as adults, toddlers wouldn't come back and cars were gonna be deco. All came true. I'm not speculating about weather , but people have and it wouldn't surprise me if they were right. Also people didn't see supermaturals in the trailer of get together, and oh yeah, they were right.

You can laugh all you want, but up till now simmers have pretty much predicted many of the things , if not all the things that are missing in this game.

Yes but people speculated that pools were not possible because of the game's limitations and lack of terrain tools and you see how that went. I'm not saying you can't speculate that weather will not be added. What I'm saying is that we should not speculate about what is technically possible or not because we are not experts in the field and I very much doubt we can tell how powerful the engine is or what are its real limitations.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I have to agree that people cannot speculate what will or will not be in the game. You have to take Maxis at its word. As I said earlier in this thread, there are two seasons being considered according to a survey, not four. People who assume that there will be four seasons are, in fact, setting themselves up for a big disappointment. If Maxis were considering an EP that had four seasons, that is what they would have asked about.

I've just taken the attitude of not to believe anything that is implied, and not to try to read between the lines. Take Maxis at its word, even if you don't quite believe that they would skimp that much.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2015

Yes but people speculated that pools were not possible because of the game's limitations and lack of terrain tools and you see how that went. I'm not saying you can't speculate that weather will not be added. What I'm saying is that we should not speculate about what is technically possible or not because we are not experts in the field and I very much doubt we can tell how powerful the engine is or what are its real limitations.
    Gurus actually said pools wouldn't be possible so that speculation was their fault. So does that make them wrong? Usually Simmers will blow anything said on Twitter out of proportion. So speculation is more for this iteration because the Sims 4 is so reliant on social media. A lot of misunderstandings can occur with few words. Gurus have stated that the Sims 4 engine is more limited than the Sims 3 engine. Were they lying about that then? So yes I agree Simmers and even yibsims can speculate on anything. Everyone is guilty of it one time or another. Speculating that seasons could come is just as bad as speculating that it couldn't. No one knows. Gurus said all life stages and cars would be in the base game. I wouldn't take their word on anything. The Sims isn't like how it used to be. It's gotten a lot more unstable in terms of communication and instability of the games. Sims 1 and 2 games were a lot more stable than 3 and 4. But lack of quality of games has been going down in general in the industry. My friend said it is normal. He has had so many series of games that he has liked be watered down. It actually worries me because things like slapping offend the Gurus. Romance has been watered down a lot too. Just thinking about weather makes me think it will be safe staged sitcom type of weather. No danger at all, just visual effects like TS1.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

And I have to laugh at people who assume if one plays the Sims they cannot be engineers and professionals. Ironic. You think everyone who plays the Sims is just 12 year olds or what? Really? You would be surprised if you make good enough friends with enough people here to find out some of the jobs players do in real life - and actually very few are just kids or people without professional careers. I know there are many Itt professionals, several C++ Programs - my son is one of those - But I have met Lawyers, Doctors, Ministers, Nurses - and all sort of professional PC and game folks play this game - never mind writers - there are tons of us that play sims - School teachers including Computer Science teachers - surprise - surprise - they like Sims games. Do not assume anything about the people behind the avatars or you may be very wrong. Enlighten your self and make some real friends on the forums - live and learn.
    Very true. I'm in the accounting/tax field myself. I've done some marketing too. I always laugh on what people assume how businesses act. That kind of attitude makes me think how easy it was for Enron to get away with so much. I find you are really smart and mature and have a lot of life skills Writin_Reg. I always enjoy reading your intelligent posts.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited September 2015
    @Scobre
    They never said pools wouldn't be possible, they said it wasn't as easy as some people think. Then people went wild with it, and said pools weren't possible. And here come the pools and people says they lied, I'm sure the same will occur when new beards, lounge chairs, toddlers, cars or seasons will arrive (because I have no doubt they will at some point)

Found it : SimGuruGraham confirmed they were possible on MTS back in August 2014 (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=527481)
    Q: So Graham are pools/basements doable in the future in your opinion with the new game engine?
    R : Sure they're doable. It's not an engine limitation, it's just work that needs to get done for it to happen.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2015
    Orchid13 wrote: »

And you can only speak for yourself. YOU maybe are not a professional. Don't speak for everyone.

As someone else said people actually speculated about the pools because that IS what the Guru's said. Go back to the posts from the Guru's when the game had just came out and you will see why that was said.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

Neia wrote: »
    @Scobre
    They never said pools wouldn't be possible, they said it wasn't as easy as some people think. Then people went wild with it, and said pools weren't possible. And here come the pools and people says they lied, I'm sure the same will occur when new beards, lounge chairs, toddlers, cars or seasons will arrive (because I have no doubt they will at some point)

Found it : SimGuruGraham confirmed they were possible on MTS back in August 2014 (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=527481)
    Q: So Graham are pools/basements doable in the future in your opinion with the new game engine?
    R : Sure they're doable. It's not an engine limitation, it's just work that needs to get done for it to happen.
    Ah thanks for the info about it Neia. Interesting. MTS does have a lot of respect for SimGuruGraham. :)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Thank you Scobre. I have met a lot of simmers since the first game came out and spent some time on all 4 forums of the series - and one would be amazed at all the professionals even devs from other companies I have met on sims forums because this game usually offered something for everyone. There is no other game quite like the Sims - so it is understandable to me. Over the last 16 years I have met so many Simmers for all professions including people in my real life that are professionals that I have been surprised to learn play Sims too. You just never know. We are all human no matter what our occupations are and who does not like to have fun? LOL.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    james64468 wrote: »
    I don't know what is true or not. Some facts is that Sims 4 gaming engine is more limited than the Sims 3 gaming engine. Think of The Sims 4 as a tablet game not as PC game. It would be very hard for them to add that.

It isn't a tablet game and does not use a tablet engine. ;)

I know for a fact you can take the code that Sims 4 uses and move the game to a tablet and a smart cellphone very easy. I have some programming experience I am not great at it. Have you ever programmed anything? Imagination for a second. Taking The Sims putting it on Windows computers, Tablets, phones, Android phone&tablets, and Apple computers&phone&tablets. The game is cross-platform that might be why EA moved The Sims studio under their mobile division. If there is going to be another Sims game it going to be cross-platform to get more money out of players. The animations will be very limited and the gaming engine will be even more limited. Mobile games are only built in 2D.

The Sims 4 wouldn't even be able to run on the new iPad Pro. To run on maximum settings, it would require more power than any tablet on the market right now. The Sims 4 uses a lot of RAM, lots of processing power, and and huge amounts of graphics power. Something that tablet games do not.

I mean, people have trouble playing the Sims 2 on current Windows Tablets. I doubt 4 is going to be on there soon.

And just an FYI, the Sims 4 has a much more powerful engine that the Sims 3. It's just EA have done very little with it.,

The point of cross platforming a title is not to take the entire game and port it over, that's impossible. Look at the differences between The Sims 3 on PC and The Sims 3 on console (PS3 & XB360) that is the product of cross platforming a title. PC is the most powerful platform to deliver a game on, consoles are the next tier, and mobile is the lowest.

It's entirely possible to bring Sims 4 to tablets; it wouldn't be the same game, but if you are playing on a tablet you aren't expecting a PC class game. Developers do it all the time, looking on the App Store you will see a few titles ported from PC or console. Now the difference is in the quality of the animations, the 3D models, the textures, and the sound. They're scaled down to run on a low performance device. The Sims 4 on a tablet would probably look like the PC game on laptop mode, with most features scaled down to run on a tablet, or removed.

So will we see a full fledged port of The Sims 4 on mobile? No, but we will for sure see a Sims 4 mobile at some point.
    It isn't quite true anymore that PC class games can't be brought to tablets in full version. I have a couple of such games on my iPad. But they usually require you to have the newest iPad. At least one of my games require iPad Air 2 or better and such games also use quite much memory. So the tablet should preferably have more than just 16 GB.

But this isn't relevant for Sims games though because obviously it would be a contradiction for EA to make a Sims game with such high minimum requirements for a mobile device and at the same time make the PC version have very low minimum requirements because EA thinks that many simmers are casual gamers who most often don't have the newest hardware. Therefore such a version of a Sims game is still unlikely to happen.
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    A few days a thread similar to this was going on in the stuff pack section, I made a reply there. And I'm going to paste it here.

"If anyone has a shred of common sense, they shouldn't listen to @Writin_Reg. She is making outrageous assumptions based on the fact that the base game files don't have the rain/snow effects. Weather like in sims 2/3 is entirely possible, just because we don't have the rain files already in the basegame, doesn't mean they can't add them. All of her assumptions rely on the fact they haven't added the weather files yet. Don't believe anything until it's from EA/Maxis. Speculation causes chaos in this community, so I suggest people be careful."
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    edited September 2015
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    A few days a thread similar to this was going on in the stuff pack section, I made a reply there. And I'm going to paste it here.

"If anyone has a shred of common sense, they shouldn't listen to @Writin_Reg. She is making outrageous assumptions based on the fact that the base game files don't have the rain/snow effects. Weather like in sims 2/3 is entirely possible, just because we don't have the rain files already in the basegame, doesn't mean they can't add them. All of her assumptions rely on the fact they haven't added the weather files yet. Don't believe anything until it's from EA/Maxis. Speculation causes chaos in this community, so I suggest people be careful."

Thank you :) I think I know what thread you are talking about cause I actually got worried cause of that exact samd assumption of the files. I believe it was one about spooky stuff being dissapointing without a season EP or just fall in general.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • WrwurWrwur Posts: 321 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    Screenshot-186.jpg
    Screenshot-185.jpg

God I miss Seasons, so beautiful...
  • LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    edited September 2015
    As a few people have mentioned seasons is one of the most loved and demanded games by simmers. Honestly? If I had to choose any expansion that I wanted right now it would be seasons! But I really want them to work on it and make it perfect. Spend time figuring out how the game would work with it, figure out how to make it perfect. I don't want a half 🐸🐸🐸🐸 seasons lumped in with another EP. I want it to be beautiful in its own right. Seasons in sims 3 added allot of family aspects for me. The holiday events, trick or treating for the kids, family snowball fights. I really enjoyed the festival grounds as well! But I feel like they should break away from that and give us something new. I'm hopig for seasons a few years down the line when everything is more settled.

I get the whole 'each neighbourhood is a separate file' thing and why it could cause speculation that its impossible to sync them together. They created the game. I'm 100% sure they can make work arounds for anything they want! Some things will just take more time than others. If they do make weather for just away lots in a holiday expansion though I may actually end up giving up on the makers a bit. They know the importance of full weather. But then again they removed toddlers. Toddlers I can ignore (for now) but if we get seasons in one place and not another I don't know if I could personally support the makers anymore. They have claimed to listen to the community, and in some ways they have shown that. But leaving big features out, making us pay for things like hot tubs which have always been in the base game... I don't know. At this point in time I wouldn't put it past them to mess this up a bit as well.
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    LunaNova wrote: »
    As a few people have mentioned seasons is one of the most loved and demanded games by simmers. Honestly? If I had to choose any expansion that I wanted right now it would be seasons! But I really want them to work on it and make it perfect. Spend time figuring out how the game would work with it, figure out how to make it perfect. I don't want a half 🐸🐸🐸🐸 seasons lumped in with another EP. I want it to be beautiful in its own right. Seasons in sims 3 added allot of family aspects for me. The holiday events, trick or treating for the kids, family snowball fights. I really enjoyed the festival grounds as well! But I feel like they should break away from that and give us something new. I'm hopig for seasons a few years down the line when everything is more settled.

I get the whole 'each neighbourhood is a separate file' thing and why it could cause speculation that its impossible to sync them together. They created the game. I'm 100% sure they can make work arounds for anything they want! Some things will just take more time than others. If they do make weather for just away lots in a holiday expansion though I may actually end up giving up on the makers a bit. They know the importance of full weather. But then again they removed toddlers. Toddlers I can ignore (for now) but if we get seasons in one place and not another I don't know if I could personally support the makers anymore. They have claimed to listen to the community, and in some ways they have shown that. But leaving big features out, making us pay for things like hot tubs which have always been in the base game... I don't know. At this point in time I wouldn't put it past them to mess this up a bit as well.

Even that doesn't make much sense when you think about it : time of the day and day of the week are already synced when you switch neighbourhood or world, why would the current month be any different ?
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    edited September 2015
    All what I know that THE REAL Sims 4 should've had basic seasons in the base game. The game being the 4th installment in the franchise was supposed to have more advanced game play.

The Sims 2 was supposed to have Seasons and specifically rain in the base game itself. But because a technical issue of having the rain going inside the houses delayed that and they later released it in an expansion pack.

So the question is why the TS3 and TS4 base games did not have basic seasons? How come the team of TS2 had the desire to add seasons in the base game?

Answer is: 1- Not the same team that worked on TS2 worked later on TS3 and TS4. There might be some of them but most of them were not the same. Even the producers. So all the talk about the other two games having the same team is just BS.

2- GREED of EA, A greed that is increasing every day. The cow plant in the Sims game depicts EA in real life. The more you feed it the bigger it gets and the hungrier it gets. A non stoppable greed.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • giallorossigiallorossi Posts: 167 Member
    What lady said that? As long as these ladies who say things about the game aren't ladies from the Sims Team, do not believe what those ladies say. :smirk:
  • LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    Maybe it'll be like freeplay and a combination of Sims 2. We'll have weather only limited to the lot.

I didn't think people would be doubting seasons though, but now I can see why. We either don't get it, which I doubt, or we get it but really limited.

I'm not surprised.