March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seasons EP Impossible?

Comments

• MrSimmisMrSimmis Posts: 1,693 Member
    I think weather would come in an expansion pack with something else like vacations like other people are saying and I think the survey mentioned that to but the holidays and stuff like that will come in stuff packs like we are seeing with spooky stuff! Wouldn't be surprised if get festive stuff at christmas! To be honest I am actually hoping for festive stuff even though we have that free pack which offers some holiday items!
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    That's a ridiculous assumption OP. TS2 had Seasons and it had loading screens, TS4 will have Seasons. It's a guaranteed big seller for Maxis. They're not going to pass that opportunity up.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    will681 wrote: »
    Maybe the survey only mentioned two seasons because basically, there is spring(willow Creek) and summer(oasis Springs). I think they would have a world for fall and another for winter.

Not really Spring, that is why I said Spring is subtle so it would be in the details to actually make a difference. For example sims getting bee stings, flower allergies and rain. If the devs mix it up with vacations we would probably get 2 destinations a beach (Summer) and some skii resort for winter, just like in the sims 1. This would completely kill Fall and Spring and it would not make sense as a whole EP.

That's a ridiculous assumption OP. TS2 had Seasons and it had loading screens, TS4 will have Seasons. It's a guaranteed big seller for Maxis. They're not going to pass that opportunity up.

I hope its just a ridiculous assumption by this simmer. She said with the map the sim has it would be impossible to incorporate seasons all year round like the sims 2 or 3. Many people are saying it will be mixed with a vacations EP like in the sims 1 cause of that survey that came up a month ago or so, which by the way wasn't even that good.

Also I've heard a lot of speculation about pets being impossible with this game engine. Babies are attached to their cribs cause the animations were impossible to do and toddlers are not even in the game cause "they are too much work" to programme. So pets would have the same issues toddlers have in the making of this game.

I lost hope.
    21mbz47.jpg
    Maxis can make some pretty poor decisions, but I do not believe they'd set themselves up for such an epic fail and develop a game that can't have functional seasons or pets (their top sellers). I've no love for toddlers and do not miss them, but even those I believe will be added in a generations EP. Rachel Franklin's response was taken out of context by most simmers in regards to toddlers. "That’s the decision that we made based on all of the information that we had at the time. So absolutely, I feel like it’s the best decision for the game to date. I’m not talking about future stuff." When I read that statement, I do not see the "no toddlers ever" statement that other simmers saw.
    Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/14/the-future-of-the-sims-4-interview-it-is-kind-of-like-life-5390869/#ixzz3mxf7vrpY

The tendency to overreact and get dramatic is very strong on the forums. Speculation is just that, speculation. There is one thing that EA loves a lot, though, and that's a high grossing game. They're not going to pass up on the 3 things that could earn them the highest grossing EP sales.
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    The developers themselves talked about the issues with carrying for babies and that's why they are bassinet bound in the tech thread a few months ago. I'm sure someone like @Scobre can provide you with the links to the direct words of developers on that. That's why people think pets will be very difficult, it's not hysteria-it's based on the words of the developers themselves.
    Maxis can make some pretty poor decisions, but I do not believe they'd set themselves up for such an epic fail and develop a game that can't have functional seasons or pets (their top sellers). I've no love for toddlers and do not miss them, but even those I believe will be added in a generations EP. Rachel Franklin's response was taken out of context by most simmers in regards to toddlers. "That’s the decision that we made based on all of the information that we had at the time. So absolutely, I feel like it’s the best decision for the game to date. I’m not talking about future stuff." When I read that statement, I do not see the "no toddlers ever" statement that other simmers saw.
    Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/14/the-future-of-the-sims-4-interview-it-is-kind-of-like-life-5390869/#ixzz3mxf7vrpY

The tendency to overreact and get dramatic is very strong on the forums. Speculation is just that, speculation. There is one thing that EA loves a lot, though, and that's a high grossing game. They're not going to pass up on the 3 things that could earn them the highest grossing EP sales.

I read that article. I honestly don't care for toddlers either. However I understand why family players are upset. I myself quite enjoy legacies, but the culling is as much of a deal breaker as toddlers when it comes to family play.

I honestly doubt they will ever confirm "no toddlers" since ppl still wait for them and keep buying everything the devs come out with.

I hope seasons will make a proper come back with all 4 seasons, but so far the sims 4 has dissapointed me time after time.

I now for the first time look forward to the new SP even if we don't have fall. Spooky Stuff will make me go back to my game at least during halloween season which is perfect cause in november we get the new EP, which I actually look forward too. The only thing i hate about the new EP is the no new life state thing. Makes me wonder if we'll just get every single supernatural in one EP only.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited September 2015

Well, to be fair, I think the way most people took that statement is this -- they haven't been working on toddlers and they think that Rachel Franklin thinks that's a good thing for the game overall (a good sacrifice). The problem with the former is that a few of the press statements seemed to imply that toddlers were being worked on and when people would ask straight out, the answer would be "We can't comment on future content" which further lead people to believe that toddlers really were being worked on. When toddlers, ghosts, and pools were singled out as things that had been removed and then pools and ghosts were added back in, it really wasn't unreasonable to think that toddlers were also on the way.

Then they find out through a survey that toddlers are currently being considered for an expansion. After a year of being basically mislead, there are some very angry people.

Edit: I'll go on to say this -- since the last survey sent out mentions two seasons, if you are certain there will be all four, you're setting yourself up for the same kind of disappointment that the people who expected toddlers are now feeling. If they do do four, great, but do not count on it. It's not in the plans for now.
    The developers themselves talked about the issues with carrying for babies and that's why they are bassinet bound in the tech thread a few months ago. I'm sure someone like @Scobre can provide you with the links to the direct words of developers on that. That's why people think pets will be very difficult, it's not hysteria-it's based on the words of the developers themselves.

I heard that was the issue too. That is why I'm worried. Even though babies in the sims 1 were like that too and the sims unleashed was pretty good. It would be a shame if pets don't come back. The cartoony graphics would actually be great in pets if they go with a goofy look for pets.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »

I heard that was the issue too. That is why I'm worried. Even though babies in the sims 1 were like that too and the sims unleashed was pretty good. It would be a shame if pets don't come back. The cartoony graphics would actually be great in pets if they go with a goofy look for pets.
    Tech thread is found here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/782786/simulation-tech-talk-i
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Actually, if people want all four seasons, it may be a good idea to start bringing it up on twitter and asking why only two seasons were mentioned in the survey. Make it very clear how important four seasons really are, that you love spring and fall, that just winter and summer would make the game feel very incomplete. It probably wouldn't make a difference, but it might. They haven't started working on seasons yet, so maybe if enough people express an interested in a full seasonal pack, it may get them headed that way.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    ejoslin wrote: »
    Actually, if people want all four seasons, it may be a good idea to start bringing it up on twitter and asking why only two seasons were mentioned in the survey. Make it very clear how important four seasons really are, that you love spring and fall, that just winter and summer would make the game feel very incomplete. It probably wouldn't make a difference, but it might. They haven't started working on seasons yet, so maybe if enough people express an interested in a full seasonal pack, it may get them headed that way.
    That is a good idea. Might as well talk about it now while it being developed.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    edited September 2015

Even tho the survey says that, surely a bright person at Maxis would realise.. well we need four Seasons because, well, there are four seasons.
    But you got a point, they seem tone deaf about other things so a twitter reminder just may help. We can share pics of the four seasons, or jam their twitter feed with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1hEszuZ4lo

@Orchid13 & ejoslin I agree the tight lipped responses from the devs aren't helpful since it does nothing to reassure people.
    I definitely understand the disappointment and the frustration that accompanies your vision of a sim installment not being aligned with the dev team's, as that was my entire TS3 experience.

This
    is a fine idea and something I'll start doing with my twitter account.

I might start on twitter. Even this thread helps, I hope. Thank you to everyone who has participated in this particular thread. Hopefully the devs are aware of it.
    @Orchid13 & ejoslin I agree the tight lipped responses from the devs aren't helpful since it does nothing to reassure people.
    I definitely understand the disappointment and the frustration that accompanies your vision of a sim installment not being aligned with the dev team's, as that was my entire TS3 experience.

This
    is a fine idea and something I'll start doing with my twitter account.

TS3 was a big dissapointment for me too, thats why I was excited about TS4.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member

Even tho the survey says that, surely a bright person at Maxis would realise.. well we need four Seasons because, well, there are four seasons.
    But you got a point, they seem tone deaf about other things so a twitter reminder just may help. We can share pics of the four seasons, or jam their twitter feed with

The same bright person who thought toddlers, should not be part of the game :tongue:
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited September 2015
    james64468 wrote: »
    With the new Halloween SP coming up ppl have been complaining about seasons not been in the game, but this lady said that seasons aren't really possible in the sims 4 :/

Is it true?

I don't know what is true or not. Some facts is that Sims 4 gaming engine is more limited than the Sims 3 gaming engine. Think of The Sims 4 as a tablet game not as PC game. It would be very hard for them to add that.

It's not so much the gaming engine, but think of how the game is structured, with the backdrops to make neighborhoods look bigger than they actually are. Then imagine snow in the game -- will those backdrops be able to change to show snow on the buildings? Or will you have snow on some of the lots while the backdrop buildings have no snow? Same situation with fall and the changing of the leaves. There is a snow park in Sims FreePlay, but it's on a separate lot, off to the side of the world; I'm assuming for snow we'll have a vacation lot like @catloverplayer suggested at a ski resort with all the various snow activities. They could possibly add rain but probably not much else.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    With the new Halloween SP coming up ppl have been complaining about seasons not been in the game, but this lady said that seasons aren't really possible in the sims 4 :/

Is it true?

I don't know what is true or not. Some facts is that Sims 4 gaming engine is more limited than the Sims 3 gaming engine. Think of The Sims 4 as a tablet game not as PC game. It would be very hard for them to add that.

It's not so much the gaming engine, but think of how the game is structured, with the backdrops to make neighborhoods look bigger than they actually are. Then imagine snow in the game -- will those backdrops be able to change to show snow on the buildings? Or will you have snow on some of the lots while the backdrop buildings have no snow? Same situation with fall and the changing of the leaves. There is a snow park in Sims FreePlay, but it's on a separate lot, off to the side of the world; I'm assuming for snow we'll have a vacation lot like @ catloverplayer suggested at a ski resort with all the various snow activities. They could possibly add rain but probably not much else.

That would hardly look like an EP
    21mbz47.jpg
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

Well, to be fair, I think the way most people took that statement is this -- they haven't been working on toddlers and they think that Rachel Franklin thinks that's a good thing for the game overall (a good sacrifice). The problem with the former is that a few of the press statements seemed to imply that toddlers were being worked on and when people would ask straight out, the answer would be "We can't comment on future content" which further lead people to believe that toddlers really were being worked on. When toddlers, ghosts, and pools were singled out as things that had been removed and then pools and ghosts were added back in, it really wasn't unreasonable to think that toddlers were also on the way.

Then they find out through a survey that toddlers are currently being considered for an expansion. After a year of being basically mislead, there are some very angry people.

Edit: I'll go on to say this -- since the last survey sent out mentions two seasons, if you are certain there will be all four, you're setting yourself up for the same kind of disappointment that the people who expected toddlers are now feeling. If they do do four, great, but do not count on it. It's not in the plans for now.

I took the quote as meaning that they chose not to rush toddlers to get them in the game at release time, which gave them more time to focus on other features so at the time that was the best decision. I'd rather they take an extra year or so to get them right than to do a poor job and leave nobody happy.

As for the expansion, it could mean getting toddlers in a patch that would be released about the same time as a Generations pack that adds pre-teens as well as expanded play for all the age stages. Just like they gave us the dishwashers in conjunction with the Kitchen Stuff pack. Doesn't mean you'd have to buy the pack to get toddlers.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Given that variations on Seasons and weather add-ons have been part of every Sims 4 add-on survey since 2013, I see no reason to think that weather and seasons can't be done. My impression was that they've been looking at how seasons/weather will be packaged, not whether they'll be added.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

I wouldn't count on that at all. I take Maxis at their word, and nothing more. If they're wondering if people are interested in two seasons, that's what is on the drawing board. If people want four, you better let them know.
    edited September 2015

I took the quote as meaning that they chose not to rush toddlers to get them in the game at release time, which gave them more time to focus on other features so at the time that was the best decision. I'd rather they take an extra year or so to get them right than to do a poor job and leave nobody happy.

As for the expansion, it could mean getting toddlers in a patch that would be released about the same time as a Generations pack that adds pre-teens as well as expanded play for all the age stages. Just like they gave us the dishwashers in conjunction with the Kitchen Stuff pack. Doesn't mean you'd have to buy the pack to get toddlers.

The problem with taking the quote that way is that they haven't been working on toddlers at all. They're just now considering them along with preteens for an expansion pack. I think a lot of people assumed that was what they meant before release, when they said they didn't include toddlers, ghosts, or pools. Then ghosts and pools were added.

It's not that they didn't want to rush toddlers or they wanted toddlers perfect -- it's that they never started them. And for a year, they knew people thought they were working on them, and would just say, "We can't comment on future content." And then RF said it was the best decision to date just shortly after people realized that toddlers in fact had not been worked on.

It made a lot of people who had been giving them the benefit of the doubt very upset.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

It isn't a tablet game and does not use a tablet engine. ;)

I know for a fact you can take the code that Sims 4 uses and move the game to a tablet and a smart cellphone very easy. I have some programming experience I am not great at it. Have you ever programmed anything? Imagination for a second. Taking The Sims putting it on Windows computers, Tablets, phones, Android phone&tablets, and Apple computers&phone&tablets. The game is cross-platform that might be why EA moved The Sims studio under their mobile division. If there is going to be another Sims game it going to be cross-platform to get more money out of players. The animations will be very limited and the gaming engine will be even more limited. Mobile games are only built in 2D.

The Sims 4 wouldn't even be able to run on the new iPad Pro. To run on maximum settings, it would require more power than any tablet on the market right now. The Sims 4 uses a lot of RAM, lots of processing power, and and huge amounts of graphics power. Something that tablet games do not.

I mean, people have trouble playing the Sims 2 on current Windows Tablets. I doubt 4 is going to be on there soon.

And just an FYI, the Sims 4 has a much more powerful engine that the Sims 3. It's just EA have done very little with it.,

The point of cross platforming a title is not to take the entire game and port it over, that's impossible. Look at the differences between The Sims 3 on PC and The Sims 3 on console (PS3 & XB360) that is the product of cross platforming a title. PC is the most powerful platform to deliver a game on, consoles are the next tier, and mobile is the lowest.

It's entirely possible to bring Sims 4 to tablets; it wouldn't be the same game, but if you are playing on a tablet you aren't expecting a PC class game. Developers do it all the time, looking on the App Store you will see a few titles ported from PC or console. Now the difference is in the quality of the animations, the 3D models, the textures, and the sound. They're scaled down to run on a low performance device. The Sims 4 on a tablet would probably look like the PC game on laptop mode, with most features scaled down to run on a tablet, or removed.

So will we see a full fledged port of The Sims 4 on mobile? No, but we will for sure see a Sims 4 mobile at some point.

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited September 2015
    @Orchid13 wrote: »
    I wish all these players who speculate would just shsh sometimes, if they don't know

EA already asked players if they want Seasons in a Survey, it means its possible;

Weather & Disasters:
    Experience the awe-inspiring beauty and power of nature as never before as weather plays a major role in shaping your Sims’ lives and environments. How will you prepare your home for severe conditions? Will you weather the storm and help rebuild your neighborhood after disaster strikes, or tempt fate and take part in a little looting?

Seasons:
    Experience the joys and challenges of changing weather! Seasonal festivities, outdoor attire, and new activities like skiing, sunbathing, and face painting guarantee that Sims will have plenty to do no matter what the temperature is outside.

Please don't listen to anyone outside of EA, because they literally know nothing about the Sims 4 :)

Says the guy that got that which is an Aprils fool joke put out by another site. Really Jack - Jack? No the only reference EA has said about weather was in the coming ep surveys where they mentioned Vacations like a winter vacation. There was also a supernatural ep mentioning elementals that each could control one of the 4 elements - wind, earth, fire, water on a sim like making it rain on a sim, or hit one with lightning - etc. I have seen both of EA's ep surveys as they were posted by simmers who got them - and the one you said was actually an April fools joke to make people think they were getting awesome weather and disasters.

SEE Jack:

http://simsvip.com/2014/04/02/april-fools-around-the-simming-community/

Don't quote me unless you read carefully. The April Fools joke was that EA confirmed natural disasters, the Survey was real. Read the article VERY carefully next time.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2015
    I wish all these players who speculate would just shsh sometimes, if they don't know

EA already asked players if they want Seasons in a Survey, it means its possible;

Weather & Disasters:
    Experience the awe-inspiring beauty and power of nature as never before as weather plays a major role in shaping your Sims’ lives and environments. How will you prepare your home for severe conditions? Will you weather the storm and help rebuild your neighborhood after disaster strikes, or tempt fate and take part in a little looting?

Seasons:
    Experience the joys and challenges of changing weather! Seasonal festivities, outdoor attire, and new activities like skiing, sunbathing, and face painting guarantee that Sims will have plenty to do no matter what the temperature is outside.

Please don't listen to anyone outside of EA, because they literally know nothing about the Sims 4 :)

Says the guy that got that which is an Aprils fool joke put out by another site. Really Jack - Jack? No the only reference EA has said about weather was in the coming ep surveys where they mentioned Vacations like a winter vacation. There was also a supernatural ep mentioning elementals that each could control one of the 4 elements - wind, earth, fire, water on a sim like making it rain on a sim, or hit one with lightning - etc. I have seen both of EA's ep surveys as they were posted by simmers who got them - and the one you said was actually an April fools joke to make people think they were getting awesome weather and disasters.

SEE Jack:

Don't quote me unless you read carefully. The April Fools joke was that EA confirmed natural disasters, the Survey was real. Read the article VERY carefully next time.

It was real for Tropico another game entirely. I read the article several times since it came out and have in fact seen it in play in Tropico 5. YOU go read it very carefully.

In this post it was quickly changed to to reflect the first one was the joke, retracted, and she added this one in it's place. Also we do not even have a Sims 4 neighborhood view as we do not have an actual map - obviously - by them confirming this was a prank - The “Sims 4 Disasters” post is actually from a game called Tropico 5. This was the most successful prank, as truth behind the latest survey further “confirmed” by prank.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited September 2015

Weather & Disasters:

Seasons:

SEE Jack:

It was real for Tropico another game entirely. I read the article several times since it came out and have in fact seen it in play in Tropico 5. YOU go read it very carefully.

In this post it was quickly changed to to reflect the first one was the joke, retracted, and she added this one in it's place. Also we do not even have a Sims 4 neighborhood view as we do not have an actual map - obviously - by them confirming this was a prank - The “Sims 4 Disasters” post is actually from a game called Tropico 5. This was the most successful prank, as truth behind the latest survey further “confirmed” by prank.

Read it a few more times if you have to.

There was a Survey a few days before April Fools that WAS official and what the prank was that SimsVIP used a picture from Tropics 5 to confirm that the Weather was confirmed.

She even says it here:

"as truth behind the latest survey further “confirmed” by prank"

Basically the Survey was true, and it made the prank seem real.

The Survey was real; users got it:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/745049.page

The PRANK was that disasters were confirmed. The Survey was not a prank.