Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fencing lots creating rooms?

This has been getting on my nerves for quite some time now, but the house I'm currently working on makes use of fencing (Around the lot and inside the outside fence..if that makes sense) but due to fencing creating the area a room, it's removing everything I've put inside that space and creating a concrete floor.

If I try to decorate inside while the fence is already up (I've deleted the concrete it put down) it won't let me put any fences inside the main fence, it just shows a yellow line with nothing else. I've checked all layers (basement, second floor, etc)

How on earth can I get rid of this, because I'm so frustrated with it I've stopped work on three houses until it's figured out =(

Comments

• MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,176 Member
    What I would suggest is to skip a square or two in the fencing around the lot - thus not creating a room. Fill that square up with a tree or a hedge or large flower or something.

I'll show you an example of my own builds:
    dew7jq.png
    I did it for all these houses, building in a gate at the front and back (I used foundation walls as fences in this case and you can't put gates in foundations).
    2gw8fuw.png
    This is what it looks like up close.

Hope this helps.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • AikeikoAikeiko Posts: 158 Member
    Thanks for the tip, I'll do that instead to get around it.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    If you start a fence at a wall or corner of your house, it will create a floor in your yard. I create the back and side fences and add the fence from the side fence post to the house on each side last.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    I finally realized not to attach the fence to house to begin with, drag the fence to not away from the house.
  • mlee2768mlee2768 Posts: 259 Member
    @MDianaSanders

Thanks for the building tip and for sharing your builds. They are extremely pleasing to the eye and blend very nicely together in the neighborhood.

I also found your post on "Basic and Advanced Population Options - Population Limit, Story Progression, Aging, Supernaturals" to be an excellent summation for what is currently limited/lacking in the game. Simmers can never have too many options and control of our virtual worlds. ;)
  • RachelRosebudRachelRosebud Posts: 1,103 Member
    Aikeiko wrote: »
    This has been getting on my nerves for quite some time now, but the house I'm currently working on makes use of fencing (Around the lot and inside the outside fence..if that makes sense) but due to fencing creating the area a room, it's removing everything I've put inside that space and creating a concrete floor.

If I try to decorate inside while the fence is already up (I've deleted the concrete it put down) it won't let me put any fences inside the main fence, it just shows a yellow line with nothing else. I've checked all layers (basement, second floor, etc)

How on earth can I get rid of this, because I'm so frustrated with it I've stopped work on three houses until it's figured out =(

Have you tried clicking on the concrete - I think you should get a popup that says "Remove Floor" - this might solve the issue of having no grass since you're outside, etc, but it doesn't help the problem that if you already built stuff, it'll disappear once the concrete pops up.