Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Culling/Family Tree issues - help!

PeachyKeen88PeachyKeen88 Posts: 652 Member
So I have had the No Culling mod installed for quite some time and have had no problems. I'm currently playing the fourth/fifth generation of my main save, and suddenly I noticed that the family tree was messed up. At that point all the ghosts still showed up in the trees, but everything was disjointed, meaning certain Sim's genealogies would go all the way back to the original founder but other descendants would only show to their parents, for instance.

So, checked to make sure I had Script Mods enabled (I did), then I installed MC Command center, which did not fix the problem (this is installed along with No Culling - could this cause a problem?). I then repaired the game and deleted my cache file. Still no fix. I do have some CC installed, which I guess is the next step (deleting it, I mean).

I'm quite upset because this is my main save and I don't want to lose the family tree, but at this point am seeing no way to save it. If anyone has any tips or experience with an issue like this, I'd really appreciate any help.
Post edited by PeachyKeen88 on

Comments

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    From what I've read in other threads. No culling mod hasn't worked for a while. To my understanding. People have moved to the mc commander to help with this issue. You may want to look into it.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    @kremesch73 - thanks for your response! I actually did install Mc command, which unfortunately is not resolving the issue. I'm not sure what to do now, or if having them both installed at the same time could have caused a problem. I've since deleted no culling but it's late and I'm tired and didn't get to test it that way yet.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Check population settings in MC Command Center: http://modthesims.info/d/551680

"Population_BypassCulling If enabled, the EA Culling process that deletes Sims will be deactivated. No culling will occur (although ghost cleaning can still happen if enabled in MC Cleaner). After changing, the game must be restarted for the changes to take effect. False"
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    @scobre - thank you! I will try that tomorrow. Fingers crossed that's it :)
  • Options
    sabreenesabreene Posts: 1,152 Member
    Hey Peachy! When you're using MC Command center, the default for it is to have culling left on. Most the options on MC Command are set up to mimic a vanilla game. You'll need to go into the settings and change them so that it stops the culling. You might (cross fingers) be able to roll back a save to before the damage happened too, since it saves five copies as .ver0, .ver1, etc., as you save.

You can change the settings by editing the .cfg file that MC Command Center creates in your mod file, or you can do it while you're playing in game, by clicking on any computer.

I'm going to paste directions here that I gave to someone else a little while ago, just in case that helps!

(pasted)

click on a computer in game
    go to MC Command Center
    go to MC Population
    go to Bypass Sim Culling
    If it says "Bypass Sim Culling is currently Enabled" then click cancel.
    If it says "Bypass Sim Culling is currently Disabled" then click OK

Then repeat the first steps:
    click on a computer
    go to MC Command Center
    go to MC Population
    go to More Choices
    go to Use Custom Population
    If it says "Use Custom Population is currently Enabled" then click cancel
    if it says "Use Custom Population is currently Disabled" then click OK

Note, by turning on the Custom population, the game will move npcs/townies into available houses. The default is to leave one open house. If you don't want them moving in, you increase the number of houses. There are also other settings you can change (set a number for maximum homeless, enable random visiting sims, show death notifications when someone dies that you're not playing, etc. You can follow the above steps to change them (computer-MC Command-MC Population-the thing you want to change)

(end paste)

You can ask questions for the mod over on the mod thread here:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/837115/need-help-with-mc-command-center-settings-ask-here

or feel free to pm me! I don't want to lose the Hasslichs!
  • Options
    olyanaesmeolyanaesme Posts: 338 Member
    Also, just a tip, you can use a free family tree maker online to keep track of your family! The family tree in game is always messed up for me, so I use FamilyEcho which is really great because I love keeping track of my family. True, you can't see the pictures, but at least you remember their names :blush:
    we way too young to get old <3
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    @scobre - thank you! I will try that tomorrow. Fingers crossed that's it :)
    No problem. You may have to set it up so it doesn't cull your ghosts too. All the available options are listed in that link I shared. There are a lot of them, so you can tweak the game to your personal preference.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Thank you for your information, it seems really interesting and I want to use these mods in my game as soon as possible! ;)
  • Options
    @sabreene @Scobre @olyanaesme THANK YOU guys so much. I am almost certain this fixed my problem.
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    Hey, i hope your problem gets fixed, although it sounds different from what i experienced a while ago. I hope you can roll back to an older save, because MCCC can't rescue what's not there anymore.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Since this has been resolved with the mod, could you move it to the bugs section and ask the SimGurus to fix this problem? It's ridiculous that we have to rely on mods for basic game play :angry: Why aren't the devs working on this when they acknowledged it was an issue?!
  • Options
    @marcellala - luckily I didn't actually lose anything. I always check to make sure my family tree is in tact right before saving. So when I noticed something had gone wrong, I just exited without saving until I got it figured out :)

@nanashi-sims - I absolutely agree with you there. I've always loved the sims games but I still find it pretty unbelievable that something like this has just been left to modders to rectify.
  • Options
    ImSandsImSands Posts: 332 Member
    I just experienced my second culling within a few days. Its so frustrating! All townies were wiped, just after I had managed to establish some kind of ingame relationships again. I dont understand why the game has to do that, only to then go back to regenerating new townies. I'm gonna now stop playing until this issue is fixed. Grumble.
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited September 2015
    Doesn't the family tree messing up after some generation? Believe I read somewhere it can only hold about 5 generations or something.
  • Options
    sabreenesabreene Posts: 1,152 Member
    If your population goes over 180, it will definitely cull your sims. It's possible now that even below that there will be culling. The only really way to stop it from happening is to install the mod, "MC Command Center" over on MTS.

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=551680

Once you install the mod, you have to set the settings to "use custom population" and "bypass culling" to true. There's some info above in the thread.

It's also possible you can stop some culling by counting your population and doing a "self cull". Note about this: Everyone counts as part of the population -- from the prisoners in the Detective career to the npc kids you've never met to your ghosts to your actively played sims. Also, the game will continue to make new people when it needs them (new pizza man, aliens when you go to the scientist career, etc).

If you need any help installing the mod, you can get it on the thread at MTS, or here on this site at:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/837115/
  • Options
    MeteoricDragonMeteoricDragon Posts: 245 Member
    I see this sim culling feature in MC command Center, but I don't understand how to use MC command center to turn off relationship culling? Are they not different types of culling?
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    edited May 2016
    I see this sim culling feature in MC command Center, but I don't understand how to use MC command center to turn off relationship culling? Are they not different types of culling?

Hello @MeteoricDragon .
    There are two types of culling that can be turned off using the MC Command Center mod. You can turn off " culling" and " relationship culling" .
    This is a link to a thread where you are able to ask questions about the settings in the mod.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/837115/need-help-with-mc-command-center-settings-ask-here
    The options to bypass these two types of culling are under the population section.

After you have installed the mod, click on a computer then click on MC Command Center button. Then click on MC Population button in the next menu. There will then be the two bypass culling options settings there to turn off culling.
  • Options
    MeteoricDragonMeteoricDragon Posts: 245 Member
    @rosemow

Thank you, i was searching for answers for a long time in the manual in the download file.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    @rosemow

Thank you, i was searching for answers for a long time in the manual in the download file.

You're welcome :) If you have questions about other settings in the mod, the thread link that I posted in the above post is a good thread to post questions.