Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4, Transparency, and Boycotting

Comments

• Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    ejoslin wrote: »
    EA releasing a buggy product is not "taking a stand," though. It's a company refusing to fix their product because, well, they had unpaid labor taking up their slack so consumers bought their game despite the problems, and used other products to fix them. That is hardly taking a stand, though -- that's a cost cutting measure that they really cannot count on in current games.

Thanks for clarifying. Everything I say, is disputed. I will just leave quietly for now. Have a great day!

Hey @jimmysnan, I opened this page and saw your comment before I could read any of the posts, so I'm not sure what's being disputed, but I want to let you know that your opinion is 100% welcome on this thread. There may be disagreements, but everyone should be able to feel comfortable expressing different ideas on this thread.

Perhaps if we find a post that we disagree with but acknowledge that it's insightful, we should go ahead and be a bit more generous in our clicks but still state how and why we disagree? I dunno :confused: I just don't want fellow simmers to feel like they aren't allowed to communicate on a thread that specifically states players want more transparency in communication (granted these two things are entirely different, but I still can't help but wince at the irony...)

• Options
    BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    For those that mentioned about competitors for The Sims; if I remember correctly, Maxis (?) has a patent that is valid for 20 yrs that prevents competitors from coming in to doing something like this. Once the 20 yrs are up, I think The Sims will start to have real competition, but I don't know.

Maybe if there is real competition, EA will rebuild their integrity with The Sims so as not to lose players to their competitors. Or.....they'll let The Sims just ride off into the sunset and focus on other games, allowing the life simulation torch to be passed on to other companies. Or....I could be utterly wrong and need to get some sleep.
  • Options
    teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    Baenre wrote: »
    For those that mentioned about competitors for The Sims; if I remember correctly, Maxis (?) has a patent that is valid for 20 yrs that prevents competitors from coming in to doing something like this. Once the 20 yrs are up, I think The Sims will start to have real competition, but I don't know.

Maybe if there is real competition, EA will rebuild their integrity with The Sims so as not to lose players to their competitors. Or.....they'll let The Sims just ride off into the sunset and focus on other games, allowing the life simulation torch to be passed on to other companies. Or....I could be utterly wrong and need to get some sleep.

How many years do we need to still wait? full 20 or less? :)) would be awesome to see some competition:))
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Options
    teaa5 wrote: »

How many years do we need to still wait? full 20 or less? :)) would be awesome to see some competition:))

I think we have about another 4-5 yrs left. :) I believe the patent was established before the actual release of the very first Sims game.
  • Options
    teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member

I think we have about another 4-5 yrs left. :) I believe the patent was established before the actual release of the very first Sims game.

Awesome news then:))) just couple years more and I hope we will see as many sims variations as possible and good ones;))
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Options

Awesome news then:))) just couple years more and I hope we will see as many sims variations as possible and good ones;))

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if there were others already working on the projects, but they wouldn't be able to go public with it yet until patent expiration. I know I just want to feel how I used to when the games were being announced for release, that excitement and anticipation. I really miss that. <3
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

Patent law can be pretty complicated. Wouldn't they just renew?

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options

But that patent is only specifically on the Sims, right? I don't think they can actually patent the life simulation genre. Just like they may have a patent on SimCity, but they cannot block other game companies from publishing a city builder game, which led us to Cities Skylines. So perhaps we will have another life simulation game in just a matter of time. The debacle of SimCity 2013 led to Cities Skylines, so it's entirely possible this will happen with the Sims. A wise company would be looking at all this untapped potential and discussing how they can get us to open our wallets to them instead.

I think it depends on how the patent was done. They would, no doubt have The Sims name copyrighted but it might be a little harder to have a patent on the process. Like I said patent law can get complicated. The Wizard Of Oz (the movie) was copyrighted but the promotional material, like posters weren't. A company waited until images went into public domain and started to use them. Warner Brothers still sued.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    There is a possibility to renew however I read that it prevented other companies from creating sandbox life simulators. It gives them a 20 yr head start on the potential competitors. Once that first patent is expired, competitors can come in and start their own version, however they can't of course call it The Sims nor can they use the same engines and AI The Sims uses. I think with the patent laws, you can hold off an idea for 20 yrs, but you can't claim the idea for life. After 20 yrs, competitors are allowed to work on the idea but just with their own developments. I wish I had more specifics, but I'm going to see if I can find the information. I came across it almost 2 yrs ago and didn't realize about the patent was preventing other companies from trying the sandbox life simulator.
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    There is a possibility to renew however I read that it prevented other companies from creating sandbox life simulators. It gives them a 20 yr head start on the potential competitors. Once that first patent is expired, competitors can come in and start their own version, however they can't of course call it The Sims nor can they use the same engines and AI The Sims uses. I think with the patent laws, you can hold off an idea for 20 yrs, but you can't claim the idea for life. After 20 yrs, competitors are allowed to work on the idea but just with their own developments. I wish I had more specifics, but I'm going to see if I can find the information. I came across it almost 2 yrs ago and didn't realize about the patent was preventing other companies from trying the sandbox life simulator.

That's interesting. I know less than zero about copywrite law but your theory doesn't explain the existence of about a gazillion 1st person shooter and RPG games. Do they not have patents?

• Options

That's interesting. I know less than zero about copywrite law but your theory doesn't explain the existence of about a gazillion 1st person shooter and RPG games. Do they not have patents?

It's my understanding is that it's how the patent is written. EA/Maxis would have a copyright on the name but it would depend on what they included. Example....say they patented the animation of a Sim falling on their face with exhaustion. Another company might make a pixel person but no one else could do the exhaustion animation.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Could they make them fall backwards instead? hehe
  • Options

Copyright and patents aren't the same thing. To patent something is usually making a claim on an idea that hasn't been claimed yet. It's sort of the first come, first serve. Patents cater to inventions, research, ideas, designs, etc. Once the patent to the idea has been claimed, depending on the specifics of the patent, it prevents competitors from moving in for 10 to 20 yrs. It doesn't prevent them from creating the same claim, but they can't publicize it, they have to wait till the patents expiration.

The reason there are so many FPS games is because the first idea of FPS has long passed, and competitors are now free to come forward with their own ideas. However everyone has to use their own developments, engines, AI's, artwork, graphics, etc. Which those have copyrights to and doesn't expire. Those are for life.
  • Options
    bekkasan wrote: »

I guess it would be possible. My experience with things like this is as an artist. Copyrights on ideas, processes and intellectual rights can be very tricky. Things you might take as a given might not be possible. It's no wonder they have lawyers that do nothing but patents and copyrights.

• Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    edited September 2015

i think you are a little missunderstood, cuz i already see someone working on a life simulator and he don't looks like worried about anything.
    http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=563014
    he already started to work on it and is working to finish the prototype to kickstart it.

could be good your check your source cuz i don't recall have reading about someone holding patent over a game genrer maybe you are missunderstood what peoples can't do is making something which can be part of the sims patent like creater characters and call it sims, or use very simlike term.
    Post edited by Ellessarr on
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited September 2015
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    ejoslin wrote: »
    EA releasing a buggy product is not "taking a stand," though. It's a company refusing to fix their product because, well, they had unpaid labor taking up their slack so consumers bought their game despite the problems, and used other products to fix them. That is hardly taking a stand, though -- that's a cost cutting measure that they really cannot count on in current games.

Thanks for clarifying. Everything I say, is disputed. I will just leave quietly for now. Have a great day!

Your original assertion was that protesting is useless because it doesn't change things; and you gave as a example that you had protested many things in your younger years, and yet nothing changed. But, as I pointed out to you, there were changes, due largely in part to the tone and nature of the protests. Now, you're offended because people agree that protests change things...and therefore they don't agree with your assertion that protesting not only doesn't change things, we should stop doing it, because it's useless.

If you choose to get your feelings hurt because people didn't take your side in this discussion, that's on you. I should not be surprised, since this is how you usually react when things don't go your way. And, I'm sorry if you perceive this as a personal attack...by the way the comment about returning Vietnam vets was more of a generic "you" than a personal you. Sorry you perceived that as a personal attack also.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Ellessarr wrote: »

i think you are a little missunderstood, cuz i already see someone working on a life simulator and he don't looks like worried about anything.
    he already started to work on it and is working to finish the prototype to kickstart it.

could be good your check your source cuz i don't recall have reading about someone holding patent over a game genrer maybe you are missunderstood what peoples can't do is making something which can be part of the sims patent like creater characters and call it sims, or use very simlike term.

That looks like a TS1 fan project :confused: I don't think EA would sue the creator, but from what I see at the moment TS4 wouldn't be much different in regards to game play, and TS4 has more complexity and better graphics. If 20 years is the deadline before competition can produce a similar game, let's start writing to Paradox Interactive now. Because that will mean that when TS5 is announced it's free game for everyone else. PI will have the same amount of development time :smiley: Ah well, I can dream, can't I?!
  • Options
    edited September 2015

That looks like a TS1 fan project :confused: I don't think EA would sue the creator, but from what I see at the moment TS4 wouldn't be much different in regards to game play, and TS4 has more complexity and better graphics. If 20 years is the deadline before competition can produce a similar game, let's start writing to Paradox Interactive now. Because that will mean that when TS5 is announced it's free game for everyone else. PI will have the same amount of development time :smiley: Ah well, I can dream, can't I?!

actually the graphics are like that because he is "working alone" for now, he is trying to finish that "project to try the kickstart and can get more peoples to help and as he told he he sucess we could get better graphics if him get some true 3d artists but for now he told which he will keep the sims 1 style but the game still a open world like sims 3 and build to hold much more sims or a large population, well is being developed for medium to high end computers not deep bottom as maxis.

well only time will tell if him will sucess many great works are starting at kickstarter, anyway let's give some credit he is working alone, then work in code the world, code the ai, and many others things while working in the graphics alone is not something easy.

something is telling me which maybe nextr year we can get a surprise from paradox, they are smart and since they are working in the same area i believe which maybe we can get something until next year in E3 or gamescon.

what is more important is ea start to be afraid of have competition and lost the "pose as king" of simulator when they are ruling over a "empty realm" with none competition, is really easy be reing supreme when no one is working on it anyway this give total freedom for then do whatever they want without have to worry if is good or no.
  • Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member

I'm not a member of Mod the Sims, I wonder if the person is looking for someone to do objects and animations :)
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    knazzer wrote: »

I'm not a member of Mod the Sims, I wonder if the person is looking for someone to do objects and animations :)

if you want to help, you can join the mother and contact him or try to go to his own created forum he is really looking for help for what i read
    http://lifesimulationgame.proboards.com/
  • Options
    missmani09missmani09 Posts: 692 Member
    I'm curious. Why do you think transparency is a good thing?

The lack of transparency is a good thing :p because we don't need these infos, what we need is a game, nothing else.
    I would have to disagree with your comment about the first two Sims years not being amazing. The base game for TS1 and TS2 were not only amazing to play, they were amazing in their sales success.

From my point of view

The Sims 2 :

EP01 University - Interesting
    EP02 Nightlife - Interesting
    EP03 Open For Business - Annoying
    EP04 Pets - Annoying

The Sims 3

EP01 World Adventures -> Very disappointing
    EP02 Ambitions -> Interesting
    EP03 Late Night -> Interesting
    EP04 Generations -> Empty shell and very disappointing

The fact that you find TS2 Open for Business to be "annoying" is a total shock.

That was one of the highlights for TS2.

So let me ask you. Do you enjoy the retail system in TS4? Because it is a total and complete joke in my opinion.

Eh, to each it's own.
    Toddlers are FINALLY HERE!!!
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    Is lack of transparency is a good thing for Maxis / EA?
    NO.

Is it okay to boycott a product that you are unhappy with? If yes, is it okay to talk about this?
    Yes.

And in regards to the current state of TS4 game, do you "get it"? If you do, what specifically about this game makes you keep playing? If you don't, why not?

Count me among those who refuse to buy this game. I continue to frequent the forums because I hope that will not always be the case. However, I do NOT see myself ever buying this game until it has seasons, weather, holidays, pets and the supernatural lifestates (witch and vampire at a bare minimum). But I also hesitate even then because I hear the gameplay itself is so bad. Again, I keep tuning in to listen for and advocate changes.
  • Options
    mwyatt139mwyatt139 Posts: 374 Member
    @AmaraRena same here exactly
    Link to my Facebook feel free to friend me: https://www.facebook.com/Spiritualanddifferent
    Link to my blog: https://www.merismusings.wordpress.com
    Link to my Twitter (used mainly for promoting my blog): https://twitter.com/BridgetW1990
    Add me on Origin: mwyatt139

event.png
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    bekkasan wrote: »

I guess it would be possible. My experience with things like this is as an artist. Copyrights on ideas, processes and intellectual rights can be very tricky. Things you might take as a given might not be possible. It's no wonder they have lawyers that do nothing but patents and copyrights.

I hate to say it, but I think a life simulator that is similar to the Sims would be a hard thing to pull off legally. Anything that gets too close to the Sims is fair game for a lawsuit. Similish, for example, is a gibberish language - another company would have to use a real language or hire a linguist to create something totally unique. There would have to be multiple changes to avoid doing a straight copy, much more so than a city simulator like SimCity/Skylines, because the Sims themselves are complex, unique objects that need to be able to grow and interact and Maxis has already covered the bases. Another company would have to be innovative enough to incorporate the fun of a life simulation into a whole new system.

As far as copyright/trademarking, I always think about Edgar Rice Burroughs and Tarzan/John Carter. He wrote those characters/stories in the beginning of the last century and by copyright law, they are now public domain. But if you try to write a Tarzan movie/book/comic without his family's permission, you will get sued to kingdom come because he also trademarked the characters themselves. Nevermind that it's over one hundred years later, he established a company that his family has kept up so his characters would always stay within the parameters of his original vision. Same with Harry Potter - just try to write a book about a teenage magician in a boarding school with black hair, a scar on his forehead and 2 teenage magician friends - you can get sued for both copyright and trademark infringement. Game of Thrones? George RR Martin will gleefully sue your grand kids out of existence if your story gets too close to his characters/universe/story.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it's impossible and would throw dollars and cents at any company that is willing to try, but I do think that it's a lot more complicated than the Cities/Skylines comparison because of the specifics (traits being a good example) in the Sims themselves.

And now I'm sad. :'(
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top