Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mass Hysteria Continued...

Hi all, I made a thread a year ago about the imminent release of TS4 and the affect it was having across a community of simmers. I thought it would be interesting to see whether feelings had changed a year down the line by asking the exact same questions I did a year ago. I feel like as users of this forum it can be difficult to communicate a point with out coming off rude or sarcastic, as there are so many contrasting views. So getting to the point, how did you feel about the game and where do you stand now? What improvements do you think should be made? What do you hope to see in the game in the future like expansions and stuff?

Here is the post from a year ago if you would like to have a little looksie :)
http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/775027/mass-hysteria/p1

You don't have to answer the questions, just be respectful of others and most of all be vocal :smiley:

Comments

• Options
    CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    How did you feel about the game and where do you stand now?
    I feel very bored with the game as I feel like i've already gotten everything out of it I could possibly get without meaningful new content. I feel like the game has a lot potential but it's unlikely to ever fulfill it as the attitude towards the introduction of key features seem to be 'too expensive, time consuming, difficult' etc. The devs say one thing and then turn around and say another. The base game was supposedly packed with the potential to do anything but at the same time we hear statements that the tech this time is more limited. 'We can't/couldn't get this to work the way we want it too' is a statement said quite often by the devs. The improvements that have been made aren't enough to make up for the many ways in which this game has regressed in terms of innovation and sophistication. I think it would be possible to make it great but the willingness to do so doesn't seem to be there this time.

What improvements do you think should be made?

I don't expect everything. I can live with loading screens and no colour wheel for example. What I couldn't forgive are no toddlers, a way to expand the current worlds we have and the old classic expansions like Pets and Seasons. I feel like I need all those things before I could take this game seriously as a Sims title.

What do you hope to see in the game in the future like expansions and stuff?

Unless the game has toddlers upon their release I wont buy any but if the game does have all lifestages then i'd buy things like Generations, Pets and Seasons. Those are the big 3 for me. I'd also buy an expansion that gave us drivable/ownable vehicles.
  • Options
    Winifred_WWinifred_W Posts: 136 Member
    I was not initially inclined to play S4 when I first saw the images in the game because they were so "cartoony". I decided to give it a go and ended up enjoying the game. I love the build features of the game, I think this is my favorite feature. I wish there was "CAS" in this new version of the game and I agree with previous comments about the need for open neighborhoods. I don't mind loading screens when traveling but find it annoying when going next door and have wait for the screen to load. It breaks up the immersion of the game.

I like S4 enough but I am waiting for more features and game play that match my family oriented play style. Parties are fine but I am not interested. I have put S4 on the back burner for now and have gone back to S3 to enjoy my style of play. I'm sure when more content comes out, I will probably come back.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    When it first came out I was only mildly interested. I was still playing sims 2 and I assumed sims 4 wouldn't run on my laptop. I didn't even try the demo. When they offered free game time in February decided to give it a shot and to my surprise I ended up buying it. So I loved the game when I tried it and I still do.

I expect them to handle some bugs, culling being the first priority. Another main focus should be bringing the toddlers back. I expect them to eventually add pets and seasons, but also make some fresh pack combos and throw in something completely new. Since I skipped sims 3 I honestly wouldn't mind them just re-doing the packs for that game, but I don't see that happening.
  • Options
    Remy_GenevaRemy_Geneva Posts: 142 Member
    @KatsKats I am sorry to hear that you were turned away, but I am glad you still find some up sides to the game. I do feel that it is important for EA/Maxis to get feedback from players of all ages, so that they make decisions based on the majority rather than the minority.
  • Options
    claudette84claudette84 Posts: 115 Member
    When the TS4 face and body sculpting tool was released, I was excited. I thought, "great! I can get closer to creating my Endora sim (Bewitched original series) than ever before." I've attempted to make her in every iteration of the game. Haven't been totally satisfied, but always trying to get there. Now, a year later, I'm feeling like the game isn't quite what I'd hoped. I can sculpt her face, but the hairstyles just aren't quite right. Can't find any CC that even comes close. No witches in TS4, so my Endora sim wouldn't have any powers. As far as traits, I'm not sure those quite fit her either. The TS4 traits seem so black and white, one dimensional. If I made an entirely trait free sim, I'm not sure that would even have much of an impact on the game. I feel like there just wasn't much thought beyond the body and face sculpting feature. Endora is a complex character. She's not entirely one way or another, so I'd like to see some gray area traits--something more complex. Maybe these things are coming. I really don't know. We don't get much communication from developers or gurus anymore. As for expansion packs, I'd like to see witches with special abilities, seasons, and some sort of university. I find that these are features I use most frequently.
  • Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited September 2015
    KatsKats wrote: »
    When it first came out, and before, I was on the fence. I decided, rather than to criticize something I've never played to go ahead and give it a chance. It's been a year. I've bought all the packs up to now to allow for more content.

There are some things I like very much about Sims4, such as CAS. I like the graphics and the look of the Sims and prefer them over Sims 3. The team has been responsive about some things, but it's not enough.

But there are too many things I dislike about it:

The focus is on young adults and partying and looks as though it will continue that way at least through November.

The fact that they sent me a survey and turned me away from it because of my age tells me they do not value opinions on content from all their players but only those in an age group more likely to support their vision of partying and youth.

The bugs that have yet to be resolved that were there from the beginning, such as the incest bug which has a very negative impact on me, or the culling problem. They have fixed some bugs that some people were getting, but these and others still remain. It's very much like they did with Sims 3.

The packs, while pretty and offer some new content, are very shallow and skimpy. The best one is the spa package. Since TS2, this has been a trend, but not nearly as bad in TS3 as it is now.

Angry poop and dying of embarrassment from walking in on someone in the bathroom as well as emphasis on "bro" behavior is a sign to me that Maxis is focusing on younger, immature players rather than on family play and those who prefer goofy humor. The Sims haven't had that appealing type of humor since Sims 2 and it's not improving.

I don't mind loading screens since mine are always fast, but I do object to having loading screens to visit neighbors. And I honestly think the neighborhoods are way too small. they should have double the number of houses/lots in each neighborhood, and no loading screens to travel within that neighborhood. That goes for the commercial neighborhoods as well.

The game feels much, much more task oriented, like an MMO: "bring me x number of these", similar to "created x number of paintings." It's taking a lot of the sandbox appeal away.

There are other things, some smaller and not deal breakers.

Overall, I have a difficult time convincing myself to go in and play. I'm trying a challenge someone suggested right now, but I'm not getting much out of the game these days.

^this^

Not much more to add except that I wish they would add a color wheel or something. Not having CASt really sucks. (Oh, I only have the base game but the principals still apply.)
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    I have been playing Sims 4, and 3 for that matter. But at the release of 4, I don't think I even logged 20 hrs on it...just couldn't get into it. Then after the release of OR, GTW and the Spa packs, along with basements and pools, I think I can get into it more and actually play more 4 than 3 now.

I will be getting GT this Nov. I have only one family, my first one but the rest are single, marrieds and shackups. I hate that the babies are an "object" and to interact you have to, "click on the bassinet??" That and the full-sized kid leaping out of the bassinet when aging if, shall I say, offputting to say the least. :# I do hope there will be some sort of ep, gp for more family activities and I'm hoping toddlers are in the pipeline soon. I would LOVE supernaturals and seasons but feel these too are a ways away too.

Since around the first of the year, I've logged almost 1100 hours so definitely enjoying it more. :)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    When the game was released I was on the fence. I was not sure about the lack of family trees, ghosts, toddlers, erc. I bought the game nevertheless and ended up loving it. I have been playing ever since. I must admit I had not played a sim game so consistently since TS2 (I got all TS3 EPs except for supernatural but only enjoyed them for a few weeks or months before I got bored).

However there are some things that the game still needs (apart from the obvious EPs such as Seasons etc.): first of all they need to adress culling. I'd be happy if they just addressed family ghosts culling because I just love looking back at my family trees and this is currently impossible (without mods) due to culling. Secondly, we need a world creator tool. Since I love historical neighborhoods, i have recreated PleasantView in the early 1900s using some mods etc. however it would have been much easier to just be able to download custom neighborhoods directly. Finally, last but not least, we need toddlers and pre-teens (right now toddlers would just not be enough!!) and a generations EP to go with them. With those three additions I would be the happiest simmer ever!
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited September 2015
    Before release (you can actually look it up in the german forums) I was a defender of The Sims 4. Today this fact is really embarrassing to me since I have never felt so much negativity towards anything in my life like I feel now about this... insult.. of a game.

But to be honest I am only mad at myself 'cause I can't stop buying stuff for a "game" (I prefer the term app) which I effectively stopped playing 3 days after release... .
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Things have changed over the last year, it is less 'lovers' and 'haters' as it was a year ago and more people sharing their deep concerns over the future of the franchise. There are still people who enjoy TS4, and most enjoy it without needing to complain but there are still many who are unhappy and many are anxious after a series of bizarre events, namely the gamescom announcement of Get Together and the recent interview which has got a lot of people talking.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    edited September 2015
    the only thing i use sims 4 for is to make sims to share to the gallery
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    I really enjoyed it when I first got it. But now b/c it's just too repetitive I don't play it. I do play The Sims 2.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2015
    How did you feel about the game and where do you stand now?
    As much as strangers like to name call me, I don't hate the game still. I just got bored and stopped playing it. Interview killed all hope I had for the game. It felt like I got trolled by Maxis honestly.

What improvements do you think should be made?
    LOL where to begin? Public relations needs a complete overhaul and they need to get rid of the "You Rule" slogan. Better communication between the community and staff even if it is difficult some days. Get rid of the telemetry figures. It doesn't help the Sims and just a lazy approach to take. I think it is one of the reasons why Simmers are so unhappy now. Actually listen to how people play their play styles. I know SimGuruDaniel does try and I appreciate that. But there are a lot of play styles taken away. If things like CAW can't be possible, at least offer a compromise like the Sims 2 Town Editor system. Enough all or nothing approaches to features. There should be options for all sorts of players so as not to feel alienated out. Scrap the culling, fix emotions and reactions, and actually make sure the core game can actually support challenges that packs may bring. Like I think worlds might need to be redone in order to support challenges like seasons. Multitasking needs to be addressed with the babies and babies need to be freed because that not working could effect pets badly. Bring toddlers back in a patch and put preteens in an EP to fund both those life stages. Take the time to develop the packs. Simmers don't mind waiting a little longer for higher quality products. Don't remove supernaturals from EPs, but allow them to enhance those products.

What do you hope to see in the game in the future like expansions and stuff?
    I hope enhancements of past packs. I don't want to see same old same old packs. For example University Pack can be expanded into a complete School EP. Pets could include either a safari, a zoo, or a fair and include exotic animals. Weather can include more intense natural disasters like a toggle for earthquakes, hurricanes, volcanic eruptions, and other things. A sports pack would be cool and EA Sports team could help with that. Vacation spots need to be different locations this time. I would love to see some new places inspired by Australia, Iceland, South America, and India.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    @Scobre Good points :smile:

I agree, they should just recycle former EPs but instead they should enhance them. Take a look at TS3 University Life compared to TS2's, they took a fairly cool idea and made it into what is in my opinion, one of the best EPs I have ever played! :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    bludhoundbludhound Posts: 297 Member
    I preordered the game with a neutral mindset, planning to take advantage of the GGG refund if I didn't like it. I ended up liking it due to the CAS and multitasking, so I kept it. My only major complaint at that time was the lack of pools.

What I did not foresee was the game's utter lack of lasting appeal (at least for me). There were also things from TS3 that I eventually missed enough to hamper my enjoyment of the game (cars, huge neighborhoods). I stopped playing after about a month. I went back to the game for a bit when pools were introduced, and that was when the limited neighborhood editing hit me hard. I'm not sure if it was introduced at launch, but in TS3 I could add decorations and move lots about in the neighborhood. No such luck in TS4. The lack of terrain tools felt restricting too. All-in-all, TS4 did not suit my playstyle.

I went on to purchase Outdoor Retreat and Get to Work in order to expand the game in hopes that it would become more enjoyable, but I too grew weary of them quickly. I was super-excited about OR as I love nature and the outdoors, but it didn't hit the spot either. Something was missing at the core. The series to me had always been about creativity and customization. That was what TS4 was seriously lacking, except in the CAS department. I didn't want an easy Build mode; I've always wanted a powerful one. I've also complained so much about the lack of CAW that I'm not gonna beat the dead horse here. That was when I decided that the game, at its very heart, just isn't my cup of tea. GTW was the very last add-on that I bought for TS4, and it will probably remain that way for the foreseeable future.

I don't have any issue with the lack of toddlers or the closed-worlds. However, I'm already very disappointed in the game and imagine the disappointment felt by people who actually want toddlers and open-worlds.
  • Options
    Remy_GenevaRemy_Geneva Posts: 142 Member
    The general consensus around these forums and on other game review websites is that this game lacks content and I feel like a lot more can be done to make it feel "full" and "busy". Although everyone wants content in different forms, for example free updates and paid expansions. As there isn't an open world, more content shouldn't cause any major problems like what some people dealt with in TS3.
  • Options
    bludhound wrote: »
    What I did not foresee was the game's utter lack of lasting appeal (at least for me). There were also things from TS3 that I eventually missed enough to hamper my enjoyment of the game (cars, huge neighborhoods). I stopped playing after about a month. I went back to the game for a bit when pools were introduced, and that was when the limited neighborhood editing hit me hard. I'm not sure if it was introduced at launch, but in TS3 I could add decorations and move lots about in the neighborhood. No such luck in TS4. The lack of terrain tools felt restricting too. All-in-all, TS4 did not suit my playstyle.

You couldn't edit neighbourhoods in TS3 until Ambitions but due to the size of the base worlds, there was no serious concern about lack of place to add new Sims and not long later we got the CAW tool :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Hi all, I made a thread a year ago about the imminent release of TS4 and the affect it was having across a community of simmers. I thought it would be interesting to see whether feelings had changed a year down the line by asking the exact same questions I did a year ago. I feel like as users of this forum it can be difficult to communicate a point with out coming off rude or sarcastic, as there are so many contrasting views. So getting to the point, how did you feel about the game and where do you stand now? What improvements do you think should be made? What do you hope to see in the game in the future like expansions and stuff?

Here is the post from a year ago if you would like to have a little looksie :)
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/775027/mass-hysteria/p1

You don't have to answer the questions, just be respectful of others and most of all be vocal :smiley:

I replied to that thread. :)
    I hadn't bought it yet, and before that I was really considering skipping it.
    CK213 wrote: »
    Curiosity buy, like The Sims Medieval.
    I may just get the base game and buy up the rest later, perhaps 4 EPs in. It may take a while to adjust to the new art style and no create-a-style. I plan to play TS3 primarily until TS4 has more EPs.

I wasn't thrilled with what I saw in TS4, but I had to try if for myself.
    There were a lot of features that I liked about the game, but the things I did not like canceled them out. I wasn't interested in playing families without toddlers and I couldn't stand teens looking like they are at the end of their age stage. I quit playing.

I bought Outdoor Retreat and Get To Work thinking maybe I just need more things to do. I stopped playing within a month and picked up TS3 again. I bought the party stuff pack and the Patio pack. I stopped buying after that, although Spa Day does look good. Cool Kitchen stuff looks like a very weak pack for the theme, so it's a skip. I am interested in what EA is creating for group play, but Get Together is really not the EP I need right now.

I may get Spa Day and Get Together because I do enjoy group play, but it's the EA expansion pack survey that is giving me a little hope for the future and has me thinking about continuing with TS4. That Generations EP--I want it. I really shouldn't buy anything until it's confirmed and I feel like it could get me to play families in this game.

I really should have been even more conservative than my original post and not even considered buying the base game until at least 4 EPs came out.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds