Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BUG]: UI Controls do not load properly when launching in Fullscreen (OS X 10.11)

ErikTheRodErikTheRod Posts: 47 Member
edited September 2015 in Mac - Technical Discussions
Issue

Various UI controls do not load their backgrounds/images properly when starting the game in Fullscreen mode, regardless of resolution/retina settings. The main menu and options settings seem to be most affected, in the game most appear just fine (except the 'NEW' badge on items).

The workaround is starting the game in Windowed mode instead, which does not cause this issue. Interestingly enough, the game can be switched to Fullscreen mode after launching and the issue does not occur. However, this requires toggling back and forth each time the game is launched to avoid this problem.

Conversely, if the game is started in Fullscreen mode and switched to Windowed mode, the issue persists until the game is restarted in Windowed mode.

Steps you took for Issue to occur

Start the game with the default settings in Fullscreen mode.

Picture

Imgur Album

Where does the bug occur ?

Immediately on game launch, I can see the issue in the game menu/options screen (see screenshot for comparison).

Mods/CC

No mods or non-Maxis content.

Expansion Packs/Game Packs/Stuff Packs

All expansion packs, game packs, and stuff packs currently available.

Occurring since

I have not noticed this occurring previously on OS X 10.11 (Yosemite). It has been several months since I have played, now using the OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) release candidate build.

Operating system

OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) (Release Candidate 15A282a).

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,584 Member
    Hello.
    You may like to move your thread to the Sims 4 Mac section of the forums. You can do that by pressing the cog wheel on the top right hand side of the thread, click edit, then change the location of your thread under the title of your thread.
    The Mac section of the forums is
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-on-mac-discussions
  • ErikTheRodErikTheRod Posts: 47 Member
    Thanks! Will do.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @ErikTheRod haven't seen any other reports of this, even those who are running El Capitan. I'm not experiencing it in either Yosemite or El Capitan either. Might it be 5K specific?
    apple-signature.png
  • danidrdanidr Posts: 1 New Member
    +1.
    Happens the same to me, too; I thought it was a video card issue at first, since I'm running it on a MacBook Pro Early 2011, but apparently it could be something software-related. I'm on El Capitan RC1 too.
    danidr wrote: »
    +1.
    Happens the same to me, too; I thought it was a video card issue at first, since I'm running it on a MacBook Pro Early 2011, but apparently it could be something software-related. I'm on El Capitan RC1 too.

Interesting. Which MacBook Pro - 13" or 15"/17"?

Just realised I haven't updated El Capitan to the latest release. I'll do it now and see if I experience it too.
    apple-signature.png
    @EriktheRod @danidr I'm running 15A282a now too and my UI is still fine. My iMac is ancient with an ATI Radeon card in it, so same vendor as you EriktheRod and possibly you danidr if you have a 15" or 17". What game version are you both running? Look in the bottom left corner of the main menu screen, not the GameVersion.txt file.
    apple-signature.png
  • ErikTheRodErikTheRod Posts: 47 Member
    Version 1.10.63.1220
  • geekchic96geekchic96 Posts: 154 Member
    This has been happening to me for months! It's very sporadic and it doesn't matter what mac I use.
    If you have Edge Smoothing turned on then turn it off. That can sometimes make a difference.
    apple-signature.png
  • KayneKayne Posts: 3 New Member
    edited October 2015
    I think it might have to do with the new El Capitan update and the "Get to Work" Expansion pack butting heads. having that being said, I downloaded The Sims 4 just a few days ago, and it ran just as smoothly in El Capitan as it did in Yosemite when I downloaded it. However, When I downloaded the "Get to Work" expansion pack after I updated to El Capitan, thats when I started noticing the same things that @ErikTheRod posted about. My screens look identical to his.
    Also I might add,
    Im running on a Early 2015 Macbook Pro 15" Retina Display (Non-5K)
    Tried the Edge smoothing trick that you mentioned, no luck :(

> @BluebellFlora said:
    > ErikTheRod haven't seen any other reports of this, even those who are running El Capitan. I'm not experiencing it in either Yosemite or El Capitan either. Might it be 5K specific?
    @Kayne Thanks for the info. I've seen a few reports on other forums now too so it is becoming more common. Did you try the fullscreen/windowed mode toggle? I managed to recreate it on my Mac once with a clean TS4 folder but then when I tried another new data folder it didn't happen. Weird. I'll add it to the bug thread.
    apple-signature.png
  • kaw2006kaw2006 Posts: 72 New Member
    This is happening to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    my graphics card is intel 5000