Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is this enough proof that The Sims 4 is a flop?

stacylynn79stacylynn79 Posts: 269 Member
I've just reread an article that I first read back in April 2015. I've noticed something on the 2nd reread. This is from a well-respected gaming site, at least respected by me.

From the site:

"In 2013, Maxis released a reboot of SimCity that was plagued with all sorts of problems, which may have been what led to this final closing. Neither SimCity nor the recent release of The Sims 4 performed very well, according to a person familiar with the goings-on at the studio."

The emphasis is mine. This is an article discussing EA closing down the Maxis studio, and a source within the studio (I'm assuming) has told the author that The Sims 4 isn't selling well.

This could also be why we haven't heard anything about the sims 4 sales figures.

Let me know your opinions about this. Here's the full article.

http://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-simcity-developer-maxis-1689454903

On a side note, the closing of the Maxis studio could also be why SimCity isn't being updated, and is abandoned. It goes to show that bad decisions can kill a franchise, and it only took one game for SimCity, because fans seem to love SimCity 4 and the iterations before it.

To keep this thread from being moved out of the Feedback forum, I'll post my feedback to EA, and u do the same.

EA, Listen to your fans. It's our vision that u should make a reality, not your own. I don't want to be forced to play my sims game a certain way, I want to play it how I want to play it. You all have messed up big time by not listening to us. I don't have to play your game and I don't have to give you my money! Your not entitled to it. And if you don't care, then say bye-bye, because you will have ruined yet another beloved franchise!
Post edited by SimStaffJessica on

Comments

• stacylynn79stacylynn79 Posts: 269 Member
    edited September 2015
    Okay, no? :p

I'll keep my eyes open for more trickles of info, because, obviously, EA isn't going to give it to us.

I look for articles that quote inside sources because I ❤️ Inside sources and usually trust them.
    Post edited by stacylynn79 on
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    edited September 2015
    On the subject of sales number, didn't we just find out that the Sims 4 sold about 2 million for it's first year (half of what the Sims 2 made on its first year. Can't find info on Sims 3 first year sales)
    Post edited by LoveMcQueen5683 on
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2015
    On the subject of sales number, didn't we just find out that the Sims 4 sold about 2 million for it's first year (half of what the Sims 2 made on its first year. Can't find info on Sims 3 first year sales)
    Two million physical copies yes. Sims 3 first week sales were 1.4 million which was record breaking. http://www.cnet.com/news/sims-3-sets-franchise-sales-record/
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    As much as I loooovvvveee this game even I wish maxis would try some new things for example an amusement park expansion pack with carnival rides,games,foods etc. I feel this would sell very well.

They also need to bring back returning favorites like cars,restaurants and apartments something a lot of people have been asking for and in addition family play,an easy create a world feature and of course weather and seasons along with vacations. Currently there is no tropical location to take our sims to and there is no nautical theme.

Granted, these things (apartments, vacation, night life, seasons, university, pets, etc) usually come out later in an expansion pack. It's just a matter of letting time pass, which could be a few years after release.
  • HephaestionHephaestion Posts: 1,445 Member
    oh, it's a flop. a big, fat, secret flop.
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    Is it really a flop for selling over 2 million copies in it's first year and most likely more digital copies in it's first year? There are allot of great games that sell allot less copies and they haven't flopped just due to the low sales numbers. If selling millions of copies makes a game a flop, then I'm guessing in order not to be a flop, a game has to sell over 10 million or something? Most games don't even reach 1 million copies sold in their first year.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
    edited September 2015
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    Is it really a flop for selling over 2 million copies in it's first year and most likely more digital copies in it's first year? There are allot of great games that sell allot less copies and they haven't flopped just due to the low sales numbers. If selling millions of copies makes a game a flop, then I'm guessing in order not to be a flop, a game has to sell over 10 million or something? Most games don't even reach 1 million copies sold in their first year.

Source? If this is true, then I would have expected it to sell more! Their great vision! It must sell double just because of its sheer awesomeness and them giving fans exactly what we want and then we'd flock to it in droves like never before!

Either way, it's under performing, which means it's not selling as well as they had hoped.

Most games might not sell as well, but most games don't become franchises and have a loyal fan base. Most games, because of its fans, don't go on to become best selling franchises. And most games don't have loyal fan bases that introduce even more loyal fans to the game and help make that game franchise one of the publisher's best selling franchises. But for a big publisher's best selling franchise, I'd expect it to sell more than its sold, and, apparently, they do, too!

(I ask for a source because I'm pretty sure EA hasn't released any sales info, so where does it come from?)
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

Source? If this is true, then I would have expected it to sell more! Their great vision! It must sell double just because of its sheer awesomeness and them giving fans exactly what we want and then we'd flock to it in droves like never before!

Either way, it's under performing, which means it's not selling as well as they had hoped.

Most games might not sell as well, but most games don't become franchises and have a loyal fan base. Most games, because of its fans, don't go on to become best selling franchises. And most games don't have loyal fan bases that introduce even more loyal fans to the game and help make that game franchise one of the publisher's best selling franchises. But for a big publisher's best selling franchise, I'd expect it to sell more than its sold, and, apparently, they do, too!

(I ask for a source because I'm pretty sure EA hasn't released any sales info, so where does it come from?)
    I'm actually the one that found it. VGChartz: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/72139/the-sims-4/ It is 2.04 million physical copies. That site uses NPD software just like this chart does. http://simsvip.com/2015/05/29/esa-report-the-sims-4-top-selling-pc-game-of-2014/
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    edited September 2015

Where is this proof that it sold 2 million copies? EA has never been mum on the sales of any Sims game. They love to toot their own horn. They had no problem letting us know how many copies where sold with Sims 2 and Sims 3, yet nothing officially in regards to Sims 4. Yes, supporters have been making this claim that Sims 4 has sold well, but EA has said nothing. And if EA did release some numbers, would they actually include those who bought the game, but then returned it and got their money refunded? I'm sure they wouldn't, that would make it look even worse.
    Post edited by GoldenBuffy on
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• WindelyWindely Posts: 652 Member
    edited September 2015
    I thought so, but then Rachel said that "In TS4 you rule" thing and I totally changed my mind. And DANCED!!!
    Geeky-Katy-Perry-Dancing-Music-Video.gif
    Dina Caliente. ♡ TS2. ♡ Nina Caliente.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited September 2015
    As much as I loooovvvveee this game even I wish maxis would try some new things for example an amusement park expansion pack with carnival rides,games,foods etc. I feel this would sell very well.

They also need to bring back returning favorites like cars,restaurants and apartments something a lot of people have been asking for and in addition family play,an easy create a world feature and of course weather and seasons along with vacations. Currently there is no tropical location to take our sims to and there is no nautical theme.

And lastly we need more added to swimming pools and more sports activities. I miss playing catch and volleyball. And in addition throw in more game and stuff packs. All of this will make TS4 money.

Not to sure about how Get Together will do yet as we don't know enough details and won't till October.

I want TS4 to succeed cause if it ends to early there will be no Sims 5.

Hmmm, don't take what the guru said to heart about that. Mike Laidlaw (at least I think it was Laidlaw -- it was one of the upper devs) said the exact same thing about Dragon Age 2, and yet they still made DA Inquisition. The Sims has been too successful -- they're not going to scrap it even if one iteration isn't as successful (and I have no clue whether it is or isn't).
    edited September 2015
    As much as I hate the sims 4, EA won't easily give up on one of its best selling franchises. I have always said from the beginning that even though there is wide spread disappointment that the series will continue because it's still bringing in the sales. Lower than expected sales expectations doesn't mean it's not bringing in a lot of money for EA.

One thing I'm hugely curious abt is if the sims studio will finally admit that they let fans down when they start doing interviews for the sims 5 release. I hope that right now we're being punked and they're saying these clueless things because if they tell fans that they made bad decisions then they could potentially hurt sales, so they have to keep a positive opinion abt the game.
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited September 2015

It really depends on how much they expected to sell and what their projections and goals were. 2 million may sound like a lot of copies in a year, but this is also a AAA title from a franchise that's been established for over a decade. I mean, look at GTA V which sold, what, like one million copies in one day? Obviously, that's ridiculously successful, but the reason why I used that example is because in AAA gaming it's a pretty big scope. These games sell in huge numbers and they expect them to continue to do so.

It's hard to guess what's performing well and what's under-performing when it comes to a huge corporation unless you have some extra info. My best guess is that TS4 under-performed. When you look at how many copies TS2 and 3 sold in their first years, when you look at the quick response from Maxis, the "keep yelling at us" and "it's tough when you don't meet your fans' expectations" and "here are free pools" and "try the game for free" and "if The Sims 4 doesn't do well there won't be a Sims 5." I don't know, you combine all of that and it kind of sounds like a rush to try to make up some numbers. But, who knows? Only they know how happy they are with it and whether or not it's met their goals. And they're not telling.
    IHJCfa6.jpg