Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think that adding peer pressure into a game that is played by a lot of young people is

Comments

• Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,453 Member
    edited September 2015
    AmiRijo wrote: »
    There is a lot I hold EA responsible for, but instilling "it's best to go along with the hive" because of the new EP. That's a crock.

Maxis is not responsible with anything regarding real life or if your computer cannot handle the game.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • HephaestionHephaestion Posts: 1,445 Member
    this thread makes me feel bad about myself. i'm going to go eat something.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Let's veer away from age for a second and focus on the claim of peer pressure, because honestly you can feel peer pressure at any age.

OP you are completely ignoring the fact that when you play in the social groups you dont have to go against your sims personality. I feel they advertised it that way because it's enticing to be different. To go against the grain of what your sim traditionally wants without the repercussions of a negative mood/🐸🐸🐸🐸 sim, well that may be inviting for some players. So this whole peer pressure thing is moot.

It all comes down to how the player wants to play, and if age and impressionability is an issue then they probably shouldn't be playing in the first place. That falls on their weak will and/or their parents bad judgement.

There is a lot I hold EA responsible for, but instilling "it's best to go along with the hive" because of the new EP. That's a crock.

The Sims in this game are already broke. Take for instance I build a 'good' Sim but they all learn the mischievous skills whether I make them learn that or not. So, this is just taking what is broken in my book and calling it an EP by saying look...'good Sims can be mean if they are in this group.' LOL they can already be mean on their own. It's a scam to use what is weird and wrong in this game (broken traits that don't actually work like the good trait) and get more money for it. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Maxis is not responsible with anything regarding real life or if your computer cannot handle the game.

True.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    If you are one of the posters who think the OP is seeing the pack incorrectly and it's not peer pressure.............

It's exactly how PC Gamer sees it.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-sims-4-get-togethers-clubs-introduce-peer-pressure/
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,453 Member
    If you are one of the posters who think the OP is seeing the pack incorrectly and it's not peer pressure.............

Then they're entirely wrong.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited September 2015

Holy holy -- I thought these forums were harsh. Those comments...

edit: Hahaha, hate it when I see a typo in someone else's quote ;)
  • HephaestionHephaestion Posts: 1,445 Member
    ejoslin wrote: »

Holy holy -- I thought these forums were harsh. Those comment...

i'm laughing out a lung.
  • AmiRijoAmiRijo Posts: 677 Member

Holy holy -- I thought these forums were harsh. Those comment...

Right?
    Origin ID: AmiRijo
    I signed http://www.sims2.net/pledge/
    ZfzDIiOeZzDJ6.gif
  • AmiRijoAmiRijo Posts: 677 Member

That's entirely their opinion and my opinion is that you're are giving EA far too much credit to create a peer pressure system that will affect their players.

That is what the original post is about, how this EP's "ideals" are going to affect the children.
    Origin ID: AmiRijo
    I signed http://www.sims2.net/pledge/
    ZfzDIiOeZzDJ6.gif
  • SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    XopaxPax wrote: »
    The Sims 4 i rated Teen, if a 6 years old is playing it, then he's wrong, not EA.

I played 1 and likely 2 when I was 6...

I had restrictions on what I was allowed to do until a few years ago.
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
    The Sims 4 i rated Teen, if a 6 years old is playing it, then he's wrong, not EA.

Yes, but should they leave out violence, crude humor and sexual content because you were allowed to play it? Or leave out alcohol references (in the T rating) just because you played it? I would say no. And should they leave out certain deaths and or upsetting fans when Sims die particular ways just because they are younger? Nope. That is why it has a rating.
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    What do I think about that issue? Is there any problem in my opinion?

Well..

TS4 is not meant for children. Being that it is not meant for an audience of six year olds, I do not have a problem with the fact that it will have peer groups with modified behaviors in an optional expansion pack.

TS4 is not here to raise your children. It is not a guide for how to live life, it is not a standard on morals and behaviors. Please don't even suggest that anything remotely risky, risque, dark, or suggestive be removed from this already nearly-naked, watered-down bro party.

If this form of 'peer pressure' is too much for the Sims franchise, where does that leave drowning your sims? Woohoo with aliens? Mind altering herbs in OR?

• Krish_Krish_ Posts: 116 Member
    Its a game, not real life.
    It's me @natashified returning :)

When will the flop era end? 2014-????
  • lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    I feel like political correctness has snuck into the forums. If your kid makes life decisions based on computer games you have bigger issues than an expansion pack.
  • LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    If someone is really thinking of doing what sims do, (such as putting on peer pressure) then that's them, and tbh we see it in movies, books, shows etc. So I honestly don't see anything wrong with it.
    People use sims to create their own stories not to actually model their life after ....
    LaAbby wrote: »
    If someone is really thinking of doing what sims do, (such as putting on peer pressure) then that's them, and tbh we see it in movies, books, shows etc. So I honestly don't see anything wrong with it.
    People use sims to create their own stories not to actually model their life after ....

I've never believed the theories that say video games and movies make people violent or "bad".....but when you look at the way the article I linked read......
    So you could have a lazy Sim that joins a fitness-based club and ends up working out whenever they're together, or a good Sim who ends up carrying out evil deeds because they've joined a club based around meanness. Naturally, you can also create "Fight Clubs" and use the rules to position them as rival gangs who will only ever pick fights with each other.

...............yes I can see kids making mean girls clubs and thinking it's okay.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    Hey parents think this expansion will have too many bad effects and ideas on your kid well the simple answer is DONT BUY IT FOR THEM.
  • GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    The group feature will work only when going on outings with your group not everyday
  • TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    I neither need nor want The Sims to be my conscience or my parent or to parent my children. I will take responsibility for myself and my kids. Thanks!

What I do want is for them to put out new and innovative material in the game. Are cliques my idea of innovative? No, but the world doesn't revolve around me. My decision is "Do I spend money on this or not?" I chose "Or not" but my decision should never dictate someone else's decision.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Huh, I wonder if you could make a "try for baby" club in order to add in some rudimentary story progression.
    Huh, I wonder if you could make a "try for baby" club in order to add in some rudimentary story progression.

I'm sure there are players thinking of salaciousness.

• trollnexustrollnexus Posts: 508 Member
    In real life, my sister is a really shy person, but she joined Toastmasters, which is a club that teaches and encourages people to give speeches. Basically public speaking. I don't see this as "peer pressure"; I see this as a positive activity that has made her feel a lot better about herself. Did it suddenly make her not-shy overnight? Nah. She's still shy in general and gets nervous about doing presentations at work. But at least she's able to get up there instead of freezing in place. This club makes her act in a way not typically characteristic of her...but it's something she chose for herself, and she's happy doing it.

That's how I envision this Get Together expansion. In a sim's day-to-day life, s/he will act normally, but while with this group, they will step out of their comfort zone. That's how it's been described so far, and it looks promising.

Will it actually work the way it's described? I don't know. After seeing all the glitchy messes of the past, I'm pretty pessimistic about the ability of the development team to actually carry out these concepts, but they are pretty good about persisting in trying to fix bugs, so I guess we'll see. That would be my only concern, really, but it's two months too early for it.

Whether this expansion will encourage peer pressure behaviors or lead to a bunch of sims being mean to others is a matter of the player, really. Assuming that this feature doesn't glitch up badly, it should be an optional feature. If you do use it, you can totally encourage nice behaviors in your sims and have a happy world, assuming it works properly. So I don't see what the problem is.

What will kids learn from it? Well, that is up to parental input, isn't it? A good parent will be involved enough with his/her kids' lives to know what kind of media they're consuming, and if s/he sees anything troubling, s/he'll sit down with the kids and talk about it. If you had a kid, OP, and you were worried about this development, wouldn't you just sit your kid down and talk about it? You can't stop the world from producing troubling things. If it's not this game, it'll be something else. But a good parent talks to his/her children about it and teaches them what morals to value. A good parent would say, "Okay, this feature can be fun, but remember that doing such and such in real life would not be okay, because real people are not sims."
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited September 2015

I let my niece play part of Sims 2 when she was 5. The only part of the game I let her play at that age was Create a Sim - picking the Sim's hair, clothes, looks etc. Five year old girls love dress-up. I was also looking over her shoulder the entire time so she wasn't playing on her own.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    trollnexus wrote: »
    In real life, my sister is a really shy person, but she joined Toastmasters, which is a club that teaches and encourages people to give speeches. Basically public speaking. I don't see this as "peer pressure"; I see this as a positive activity that has made her feel a lot better about herself. Did it suddenly make her not-shy overnight? Nah. She's still shy in general and gets nervous about doing presentations at work. But at least she's able to get up there instead of freezing in place. This club makes her act in a way not typically characteristic of her...but it's something she chose for herself, and she's happy doing it.

That's how I envision this Get Together expansion. In a sim's day-to-day life, s/he will act normally, but while with this group, they will step out of their comfort zone. That's how it's been described so far, and it looks promising.

Will it actually work the way it's described? I don't know. After seeing all the glitchy messes of the past, I'm pretty pessimistic about the ability of the development team to actually carry out these concepts, but they are pretty good about persisting in trying to fix bugs, so I guess we'll see. That would be my only concern, really, but it's two months too early for it.

Whether this expansion will encourage peer pressure behaviors or lead to a bunch of sims being mean to others is a matter of the player, really. Assuming that this feature doesn't glitch up badly, it should be an optional feature. If you do use it, you can totally encourage nice behaviors in your sims and have a happy world, assuming it works properly. So I don't see what the problem is.

What will kids learn from it? Well, that is up to parental input, isn't it? A good parent will be involved enough with his/her kids' lives to know what kind of media they're consuming, and if s/he sees anything troubling, s/he'll sit down with the kids and talk about it. If you had a kid, OP, and you were worried about this development, wouldn't you just sit your kid down and talk about it? You can't stop the world from producing troubling things. If it's not this game, it'll be something else. But a good parent talks to his/her children about it and teaches them what morals to value. A good parent would say, "Okay, this feature can be fun, but remember that doing such and such in real life would not be okay, because real people are not sims."

I totally agree. Good parents will not let young children be babysat by computer games nor the television, but will spend time with their kids teaching them good judgment. This process continues into the teenage years. The club feature can be used for both positive peer influence and negative peer influence. If someone wants to start a book club with their Sims, they can. If someone wants a chess club for their Sims, there it is. If a player wants the nerds and jocks groups back from Sims 3 University, they can define what the nerds and jocks do or wear. If they want a Scout troop, they can make one. If they want to make a story about rival gangs, they can. I remember growing up doing this with dolls - having a criminal gang, as the enemy of the other dolls, who were always doing dastardly deeds, and who ended up going to jail for their deeds at the end of the play session. We also played superhero teams with our dolls a few times. I don't see a lot of difference between playing with dolls in this way and playing with a computer game in this way. Having the clubs feature simply enables more storytelling features. Players don't HAVE to play with clubs, but they are able to. Why should game companies have to limit their games to please overprotective parents for something that is teen-rated? Teens are familiar with peer pressure already since they were in grade school. Why shouldn't there be stories both about positive peer pressure and negative peer pressure? Cautionary tales can go a long way in teaching.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.