Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think that adding peer pressure into a game that is played by a lot of young people is

Hi guys,

I hope I am not interpreting to much into it, but this really concerns me...

Do you really think that adding peer pressure into a game that is played by a lot of young people is adequate.?

I mean... the way I understand the concept of the next expansion pack is that all the traits and personalitys of your Sims won´t mean anything as soon as they are a member of a group. Is that so?!

One of the examples EA gave us is that a lazy Sim will be able to do and like fitness the moment he or she joins a certain peer.

I guess most people would say that the latter is a good thing but I am worried about the general meaning of that "feature".

Do not have your own opinion, don´t do what you think is best, follow the leaders and do whatever the authorities are telling you to do.

And yes, I know that Sims is just a video game. But so far most of the games I know (especially when they are made for children too) are trying to educate their players or teach them some values. This might not always be apparent at first but if you look closely you will find those things in nearly every game (I now there are a few exceptions but I am referring to the majority).

So far, the Sims franchise (although it is a life simulation) was one of those games too. One example is the lack of racism and discrimination. Sims can be whoever they wanna be and they can love whoever they wanna love. Which is why in some countries the game cannot be sold for underage people (Russia for example, because of the possibility to have gay Sims). Sounds totally crazy in my eyes by the way...

But then they came up with the new pack. At first I was just really disappointed because of the weird trailer and the funny announcement but then I realised that I´ll probably end up buying it because I love the new town. Well.. and then they explained in great detail what the new groups actually will do.
I mean... there have always been groups of some kind in the game. But wheter Sim-you have been a member or not haven´t made a totally different Person out of you.

I really think that this is a step in a really wrong direction and a sign I won´t like to show to my children... There are even a lot of grown up people who have difficulties to distinguish between reality and fiction when they play video games (especially a simulation). Now... just imagine a 6 year old playing Sims 4...

ohh... if it would be the other way around... if I want you to imagine a 6 year old who always had been told that homosexuality is wrong, is playing a game every day in which gays are not discriminated at all... I think a lot more people would agree with me than they will now.

Sorry for the long text but it was something I felt needed to be brought up by someone.

Oh... and sorry for my english. Its not my mother tongue.

What do you think about this issue? Or isn´t there any problem at all in your opinion?
Please don´t zagadoo me. I cannot deal with something like this and will have nightmares eventually. Like this one time, when I dreamed about a scary woman that told me "YOU RULE" in this very creepy voice and then clapped her hands, releasing a bunch of mindless dancers.

Comments

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    The Sims 4 has no age limit.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    AmiRijoAmiRijo Posts: 677 Member
    Well first of all, a six year old should not be playing the sims, but I digress. I think you are making a valid point, but at the same time we could say the same about a lot of voilent games and how they instill "violent tendencies" into children. Which brings me right back to the age thing. Most of those games are rated M for mature like sims is rated T for teens. I don't think the majority of players in that age group look at sims and say "I'm going to take what I did here and apply it to my real life." I just feel you are reading too much into it.
    Origin ID: AmiRijo
    I signed http://www.sims2.net/pledge/
    ZfzDIiOeZzDJ6.gif
  • Options
    jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    I see where you're coming from but, in the context of the sims, I don't think it's quite as negative as you're describing it. For instance, you could make a lazy sim join an athletic club. In real life, lazy and out of share people can be inspired by athletic people and can be more likely to succeed with successful and positive people around them.

I mean, it does seem a little silly that an evil sim could join a good sim club, or a cheerful sim could join a gloomy club (I know there are actions that define clubs too, I just can't think of any good examples).

Anyways, I do think it's a little strange that it would kind of ignore their personality traits, but I think it's the only way to do groups in the sims. Otherwise, you'd have all kinds of conflicting issues. Now whether or not you like that or want to play it that way is up to you!
  • Options
    GleestickyGleesticky Posts: 508 Member
    I can see your point. But to be honest when the Sims series started out there were a lot of adult themes like dancers jumping out of cakes, and woohoo called play in bed. I honestly don't have a problem with the peer pressure group aspect being put in the game. Mind you I am 35 and way passed those teen years. I think if a teenager who is playing the Sims can't tell between reality and a game they shouldn't be playing video games. And a 6 year old playing the Sims is just wrong to me. The game is rated teen for a reason.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2015
    ichchen wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Do you really think that adding peer pressure into a game that is played by a lot of young people is adequate.?

I mean... the way I understand the concept of the next expansion pack is that all the traits and personalitys of your Sims won´t mean anything as soon as they are a member of a group. Is that so?!

One of the examples EA gave us is that a lazy Sim will be able to do and like fitness the moment he or she joins a certain peer.

I guess most people would say that the latter is a good thing but I am worried about the general meaning of that "feature".

Do not have your own opinion, don´t do what you think is best, follow the leaders and do whatever the authorities are telling you to do.

And yes, I know that Sims is just a video game. But so far most of the games I know (especially when they are made for children too) are trying to educate their players or teach them some values. This might not always be apparent at first but if you look closely you will find those things in nearly every game (I now there are a few exceptions but I am referring to the majority).

So far, the Sims franchise (although it is a life simulation) was one of those games too. One example is the lack of racism and discrimination. Sims can be whoever they wanna be and they can love whoever they wanna love. Which is why in some countries the game cannot be sold for underage people (Russia for example, because of the possibility to have gay Sims). Sounds totally crazy in my eyes by the way...

But then they came up with the new pack. At first I was just really disappointed because of the weird trailer and the funny announcement but then I realised that I´ll probably end up buying it because I love the new town. Well.. and then they explained in great detail what the new groups actually will do.
    I mean... there have always been groups of some kind in the game. But wheter Sim-you have been a member or not haven´t made a totally different Person out of you.

I really think that this is a step in a really wrong direction and a sign I won´t like to show to my children... There are even a lot of grown up people who have difficulties to distinguish between reality and fiction when they play video games (especially a simulation). Now... just imagine a 6 year old playing Sims 4...

ohh... if it would be the other way around... if I want you to imagine a 6 year old who always had been told that homosexuality is wrong, is playing a game every day in which gays are not discriminated at all... I think a lot more people would agree with me than they will now.

Sorry for the long text but it was something I felt needed to be brought up by someone.

What do you think about this issue? Or isn´t there any problem at all in your opinion?

This is my thoughts. They are taking what is already broken and making an Expansion out of it. What, Cinebar? what are you saying? I'm saying the traits and the emotions are already broken, for instance if one Sim is energized and standing next to some others they all become energized sometimes in this game. Well, they have cashed in on that broken feature to just make a clique out of it and sell it as though it is supposed to happen when it was just a broken thing to start with.

And here is another example they gave, a good Sim can join a peer and do mean things. I got news for them that is also broken in this game and they can 'All" do mean things already so they have cashed in on why are good Sims mean? and made an expansion out of it.

lol Seriously, that about sums it up. (the reason why it is now going to be an EP) ETA: Traits never mattered since day one, now they are going to sell it back to you as an EP and tell you it's a good thing traits don't matter since they will all do the same thing but now they get more money for that not mattering. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I welcome many things that offend people in the Sims; it is just a game, so games should not offend you what so ever. :#
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    The Sims 4 has no age limit.

Yes, it does it's rated Teen and younger kids shouldn't be playing.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

Besides that of course. :D

I meant like if you meet the age requirement, I welcome anyone even older to play the game. :p
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

Besides that of course. :D

I meant like if you meet the age requirement, I welcome anyone even older to play the game. :p
    Well that is kind of what an ESRB rating is... each level of rating tells you who the game is appropriate for. So T for Teens according to the esrb means 13 and up not specifically for teens. Just...ah...throwing that out there.
    ZfzDIiOeZzDJ6.gif
  • Options
    AmiRijo wrote: »
    Well that is kind of what an ESRB rating is... each level of rating tells you who the game is appropriate for. So T for Teens according to the esrb means 13 and up not specifically for teens. Just...ah...throwing that out there.

Agreed.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    The Sims is not for 6 year olds. I'm not crazy about the club concept myself, but for different reasons I suppose.
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    We're trying to spin the group user tool as peer pressure now? Come on, really?

People have asked for more open ended game play and this is them delivering. It's a way for us to manipulate sims that aren't in our household, however we chose to do so. If you want to spin the 'it's a bad influence for kids' argument then having groups is fairly tame to being able to drown sims and set them on fire.
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    Yeah, THIS feature in a T rated game is going to scar kids for life. *looks around at thousands of gory and violent video games and shrugs*

I find the idea of all the sims in a group basically having a hive mind kind of creepy and undesirable in my game, but to say it's bad for the kids is wayyyyy over exaggerating things. Plus, if a small kid is playing the game that's on the parents, not EA. This game is not made for little kids and everything should not have to be censored for kids who's parents don't care to read about games before purchasing for their child. Leave the parenting to the parents.
  • Options
    ichchenichchen Posts: 84 Member
    Well, in Germany and many other parts of europe you need to be six years old to be allowed to play.

Thats why I was using that example... But even if you have to be older in your area (probably America). I am pretty sure Sims is a game that attract a lot of kids...
    Please don´t zagadoo me. I cannot deal with something like this and will have nightmares eventually. Like this one time, when I dreamed about a scary woman that told me "YOU RULE" in this very creepy voice and then clapped her hands, releasing a bunch of mindless dancers.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2015
    Hi guys,

I totally agree with what you are saying seeing it makes no sense to have a pack that changes who the sims are - that we made to be a certain way - and basically makes the traits rather pointless. It was something that came to mind when I first heard about the coming ep and is about as welcoming as dead fish under the floor boards of my home on a hot humid day. Even though I'd love to have another world, especially one based on Europe, I cannot justify doing so if the ep is going to alter the perception of my sims population like that. With the touted main feature of the game is based on that - and recalling the last club like mentality of Sims 3 University clubs and how annoying it was long after the sims had gone to University - never mind the sims who did not even go to college still get constant annoying pop ups about not spending time with my jock or geek friends and apparently my sim losing some of who they were because of it all. Is a new world worth all that annoyance? I think not.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Alysha1988 wrote: »
    Yeah, THIS feature in a T rated game is going to scar kids for life. *looks around at thousands of gory and violent video games and shrugs*

I find the idea of all the sims in a group basically having a hive mind kind of creepy and undesirable in my game, but to say it's bad for the kids is wayyyyy over exaggerating things. Plus, if a small kid is playing the game that's on the parents, not EA. This game is not made for little kids and everything should not have to be censored for kids who's parents don't care to read about games before purchasing for their child. Leave the parenting to the parents.

Video games do not make people violent; it is their fault for thinking violence is okay (and they have something wrong with them anyway). ;)

I do agree however.

Nothing should be censored. I welcome everything that offends people. Video games are not real and should allow everything in it; real life issues should be included as well. :)
  • Options
    Well, in Germany and many other parts of europe you need to be six years old to be allowed to play.

Thats why I was using that example... But even if you have to be older in your area (probably America). I am pretty sure Sims is a game that attract a lot of kids...

And again, those 12 year olds playing Call of Duty, which is a war game where they kill a crap ton of people... how many of those games have actually turned those kids into killers? So why would sims with negligible "peer pressure" (which you don't even have to play that way) cause all this kids to have a complex and reflect that in their daily lives?
    ZfzDIiOeZzDJ6.gif
  • Options
    AmiRijo wrote: »
    And again, those 12 year olds playing Call of Duty, which is a war game where they kill a crap ton of people... how many of those games have actually turned those kids into killers? So why would sims with negligible "peer pressure" (which you don't even have to play that way) cause all this kids to have a complex and reflect that in their daily lives?

No video game can influence people to become crazies. It is all their personality.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Just because a game attracts kids doesn't mean that games have to exclusively cater to them. I can let my kids play whatever at whatever age, but I'm not going to hold a gaming company responsible for the content in said games. That's the parents' responsibility. I do NOT want all my video games to be safe for 6 year olds to play. In fact, I want none of them to be.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2015
    Hi guys,

I'm not sure what's going on here, don't even understand what the problem is, but I suggest reading the blog post once more.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    ichchenichchen Posts: 84 Member
    > @AmiRijo said:
    > ichchen wrote: »
    >
    > Well, in Germany and many other parts of europe you need to be six years old to be allowed to play.
    >
    > Thats why I was using that example... But even if you have to be older in your area (probably America). I am pretty sure Sims is a game that attract a lot of kids...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > And again, those 12 year olds playing Call of Duty, which is a war game where they kill a crap ton of people... how many of those games have actually turned those kids into killers? So why would sims with negligible "peer pressure" (which you don't even have to play that way) cause all this kids to have a complex and reflect that in their daily lives?

Well... Most people even if they are of a young age are able to distiguish between wrong and right, good and evil, allowed not allowed...
    I totally agree with you that war games won´t turn you into a soldier. But that is because people play the game knowing "ok, this is fun but I cannot do and I won´t do this in real life".

But the problem behind those peer pressure is not that apparent. A CHILD won´t join one group and say "oh no, all my individuality is lost". That is because this process is far to complex that a child will understand it. What it will realise, however, is that doing what the other group members are doing actually is fun... and there we go.

Don´t forget. I did not know that you need to be older in your area to play Sims 4. I was referring only to children...
  • Options
    But the problem behind those peer pressure is not that apparent. A CHILD won´t join one group and say "oh no, all my individuality is lost". That is because this process is far to complex that a child will understand it. What it will realise, however, is that doing what the other group members are doing actually is fun... and there we go.

Don´t forget. I did not know that you need to be older in your area to play Sims 4. I was referring only to children...

Children won't join a evil cult if they play a game about a cult... It all depends on their personality; if they think it is right to do bad stuff or think doing violence in real life than in video games in real life, then there is something wrong with them.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Let's veer away from age for a second and focus on the claim of peer pressure, because honestly you can feel peer pressure at any age.

OP you are completely ignoring the fact that when you play in the social groups you dont have to go against your sims personality. I feel they advertised it that way because it's enticing to be different. To go against the grain of what your sim traditionally wants without the repercussions of a negative mood/🐸🐸🐸🐸 sim, well that may be inviting for some players. So this whole peer pressure thing is moot.

It all comes down to how the player wants to play, and if age and impressionability is an issue then they probably shouldn't be playing in the first place. That falls on their weak will and/or their parents bad judgement.

There is a lot I hold EA responsible for, but instilling "it's best to go along with the hive" because of the new EP. That's a crock.
    ZfzDIiOeZzDJ6.gif