Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• MDancer9112MDancer9112 Posts: 1,086 Member
    marcellala wrote: »
    So, patch is out, no freebie, just three bug fixes (and one is a bug that was "fixed" in a prior patch). Happy anniversary!
    I wish i could give you a "sarcastic awesome". EA!
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/852811/september-1-2015-patch-notes#latest

So those toddlers people were sure we're coming are still missing? Tsk. I don't think Maxis staff understand the meaning of priority...

They were meant to buy a muffin and stick a candle on top, but it was too expensive according to Maxis.
    giphy.gif
    Me watching GT at Gamescom.
    I'm back!!^-^
    Paradox forum name: aMazingSimmer
  • clover24clover24 Posts: 887 Member
    Looks like Lizzy will stay preggers for a few years, maxis obviously likes all my save files with pregnant sims to stay that way, becuse without toddlers i am not under any circumstances playing and having a baby turn into a ten year old.
  • Bluefairy286Bluefairy286 Posts: 254 Member
    I've just seen what the new expansion pack is, looks like EA is only concentrating on the young adult lifestyle. If you're the kind of player who wants your sims to settle down and have a family there is not much to do.
  • Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    edited September 2015
    So, patch is out, no freebie, just three bug fixes (and one is a bug that was "fixed" in a prior patch). Happy anniversary!
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/852811/september-1-2015-patch-notes#latest

So those toddlers people were sure we're coming are still missing? Tsk. I don't think Maxis staff understand the meaning of priority...

Yeah, and i also already had my fair share of "it's your fault for expecting something"-bashing today. Eventhough i didn't even expect something. oO
    Well, in the broader sense, i did expect something more from the game as a whole, but i knew we wouldn't get it this time around and maybe never for free, so i don't know how you would call that.
    I still can't really be truly angry before the anniversary is officially over, but that made me angry already lol
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

Yeah, and i also already had my fair share of "it's your fault for expecting something"-bashing today. Eventhough i didn't even expect something. oO
    Well, in the broader sense, i did expect something more from the game as a whole, but i knew we wouldn't get it this time around and maybe never for free, so i don't know how you would call that.
    I still can't really be truly angry before the anniversary is officially over, but that made me angry already lol

Ignore it @marcellala you know those 'I told you so' people do it to upset you. They are not worth your time or effort ;)
    Hi all, diggin through the thread for suggestions today. While I'm doing that can I get you guys to help in defining our style of play?

How does this sound:

What is ‘family play’?

Family play focusses on the simulation of a sim from cradle to grave within a family unit. Family players tend to pay particular attention to one or more families, taking joy in watching their sim grow, and achieve developmental milestones. They often show an interest in genetics, and in general are looking for rewarding, impactful, interactions between family members. Some may make huge families and watch their family tree stretch through the generations; some my play with a small nuclear family – it makes no difference. The one thing they all have in common is the desire for believable, lasting familial relationships, and engaging family activities.

Sounds perfect to me @esharpmajor :) I think that you should add that the families look very different though-some may be 'traditional' but others may be supernatural, or blended families etc etc :)
  • MDancer9112MDancer9112 Posts: 1,086 Member
    The saddest thing for me is that...I was actually looking forward to gamescom.
    I knew they wouldn't add toddlers because, come on now, its EA.
    But I thought we'd have something like more vacations or showtime and I was PRAYING FOR APARTMENTS TS2 STYLE!!
    And I saw Get Together.
    And I was like:
    tumblr_mo3547ZRcC1r7clejo1_500.gif

Many years ago, I remember thinking about TS4 when I had extremely high expectations.
    So I wanted these graphics:
    mirrors-edge-catalyst-800x450.jpg
    Ha, I dream to hard :'( ...
    giphy.gif
    Me watching GT at Gamescom.
    I'm back!!^-^
    Paradox forum name: aMazingSimmer
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    :'( Toddlers mentioned here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/852754/glitz-and-glam-update#latest Why Maxis why? Why do you offer toddlers and babysitters and cool babies for that game but not Sims 4? I want a play center for toddlers too. *Grumbles and makes one in TS2.*

Is it me or is Freeplay actually getting better treatment than TS4 is?
    It is which is sad.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited September 2015
    Wait.....one of the those bug fixes involved a case of incest. :smiley: Yay cas cheat won't cause incest anymore <3. That means just the rotational gameplay one needs to be fixed now. Hopefully the conversation one won't occur again, but I think it has been fixed.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited September 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • trollnexustrollnexus Posts: 508 Member
    Thanks for the warning about the Origin update, folks D: Thank goodness I can still open TS3 without it.

Haven't taken any pictures because raising a family of werewolves is hard T_T I've been playing Lilly's family (Lilly's now an adult! Time flies!) and because she's Family Oriented, she always wants a baby. Her husband is named Klaus Sanguine, and he's also a werewolf. Anyway, Klaus immediately shipped their daughter off to Art School, but they've had three sons running around, and apparently if one of them turns into a werewolf, this triggers a chain reaction where all the other boys turn into werewolves because the little "terror" moodlet pops up as a result of the first transformation and makes them cranky, so all of them become werewolves and all of them become late for school. Grr.

But I'm feeling some peace now as the oldest son got married off, the second son was shipped off to Art School as a teenager, leaving just the third one as a kid. Also have a fourth son who is currently a toddler and now there's a new baby on the way. Lilly wishes for 10 kids! I haven't seen that wish in a long, long time.

I don't know how some of you folks handle multiples. I'm already pulling my hair out as it is XD Kudos to you folks!
    trollnexus wrote: »
    Thanks for the warning about the Origin update, folks D: Thank goodness I can still open TS3 without it.

Haven't taken any pictures because raising a family of werewolves is hard T_T I've been playing Lilly's family (Lilly's now an adult! Time flies!) and because she's Family Oriented, she always wants a baby. Her husband is named Klaus Sanguine, and he's also a werewolf. Anyway, Klaus immediately shipped their daughter off to Art School, but they've had three sons running around, and apparently if one of them turns into a werewolf, this triggers a chain reaction where all the other boys turn into werewolves because the little "terror" moodlet pops up as a result of the first transformation and makes them cranky, so all of them become werewolves and all of them become late for school. Grr.

But I'm feeling some peace now as the oldest son got married off, the second son was shipped off to Art School as a teenager, leaving just the third one as a kid. Also have a fourth son who is currently a toddler and now there's a new baby on the way. Lilly wishes for 10 kids! I haven't seen that wish in a long, long time.

I don't know how some of you folks handle multiples. I'm already pulling my hair out as it is XD Kudos to you folks!
    Hired help. Maids, butlers, nannies, and robots have always helped me in the past. If all else fails, use mood cheats to boost them before they starve to death.
  • crockatailcrockatail Posts: 312 Member
    edited September 2015
    Well,It isn't Rachel Franklin dancing and taking selfies.
    Post edited by crockatail on
    Scobre wrote: »
    Wait.....one of the those bug fixes involved a case of incest. :smiley: Yay cas cheat won't cause incest anymore <3. That means just the rotational gameplay one needs to be fixed now. Hopefully the conversation one won't occur again, but I think it has been fixed.

Where is the incest bug fix? The one with the friendship thingie?
  • Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    That truly is awesome @esharpmajor - now you just need to tag a few gurus ;)
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    I agree on stop refering to the vision

And to tell it clear 1 time.... if it is more life you shot pas it

I think I get the vision i think many do we just don't like it
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    Okay, wow we have done a lot of talking about how to fix the communication break down between the team and the fans in this thread! I'm trying to smush it down into a handful of specific points before adding it to the list of demands suggestions we've come up with. Did I miss anything/get anything wrong? Let me know and I'll change it. Also if you see anything you think I can cut please tell me because my verbosity is very nearly a disease. The italicized parts are there for clarity, but might be unnecessary, idk. :#

10-step Process to Repair Communication with the Fan Base

1. Change your policy on discussing future content to be less stringent.

We don’t need to know everything, but there are certain cases where continued silence is hurting the franchise; namely toddlers and other missing base game features. Rachel has spoken about how the sims is now a “live service”. Very well, but a live service game requires a high level of openness with the fan base so that players are reassured about what they will receive for their continued support. The old policies of silence and secrecy need no longer apply.

2. Change your advertising strategy.

The current ‘trendy’ advertising strategy of S4 is only cementing the divide within your fan base. No. More. Selfies.

3. Stop referring to your ‘vision’ in interviews.

It does none of us any good since none of us understand what your vision is. You say you were focussing on the sim and what makes them real – but you removed many of the developmental milestones that make a sim who they are. Your explanation of your vision sounds lovely, but it is completely at odds to what family players are experiencing in game.

4. Reconsider your decision to veer away from ‘normal life’ simulation.

It was the very heart of your game. Some interesting points on this topic can be found here: Life Simulator vs Sims 4

5. Make a public statement regarding the omission of family play, and what you intend to do about it, in no uncertain terms.

6. Bring back Ask a Guru with less restrictions.

If our more pressing questions have been addressed in official announcements I think you’ll find these sessions to be less prone to drama and derailment.

7. Release a series of developer diaries on the recovery process you outlined in step 5.

8. Start treating your official forums as the resource that it is.

Whether you want feedback on a specific point, are brainstorming for new ideas, or want to get some answers to a survey, we’re here for you! Why pay small focus groups when you have a huge captive audience literally chomping at the bit to have their say? We want to help. Use this information in conjunction with your game telemetry. Or, better yet, take your game telemetry out back, and shoot it.

9. Encourage your social media followers to come to the forums by directing them to polls, contests, and various events outlined in step 8.

The more simmers are here, the more return you will see out of step 8. I think you’ll find it’s easier for a customer to give comprehensive feedback when they are not limited to 140 characters.

10. Profit! :p

Love it. If only the Gurus had the intelligence to take it all in.
    Does somebody know if the plants fix means you have to plant new plants or are the old ones ok after harvesting?
    I am glad that they haven't announced anything "exciting and fun" for the anniversary. The forums would have a meltdown. But on the other hand it will be very sad if the anniversary passes by with nothing? I had such hopes for this game. And it's kind of silly to still be here on the forums of a game that I can't even stand to play.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
    Does somebody know if the plants fix means you have to plant new plants or are the old ones ok after harvesting?

I don't know about after harvesting or not, but it sounds like you need to replant to fix them. You could try letting them mature then planting from the produce? It depends how patient you feel...

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    Okay, wow we have done a lot of talking about how to fix the communication break down between the team and the fans in this thread! I'm trying to smush it down into a handful of specific points before adding it to the list of demands suggestions we've come up with. Did I miss anything/get anything wrong? Let me know and I'll change it. Also if you see anything you think I can cut please tell me because my verbosity is very nearly a disease. The italicized parts are there for clarity, but might be unnecessary, idk. :#

10-step Process to Repair Communication with the Fan Base

1. Change your policy on discussing future content to be less stringent.

We don’t need to know everything, but there are certain cases where continued silence is hurting the franchise; namely toddlers and other missing base game features. Rachel has spoken about how the sims is now a “live service”. Very well, but a live service game requires a high level of openness with the fan base so that players are reassured about what they will receive for their continued support. The old policies of silence and secrecy need no longer apply.

2. Change your advertising strategy.

The current ‘trendy’ advertising strategy of S4 is only cementing the divide within your fan base. No. More. Selfies.

3. Stop referring to your ‘vision’ in interviews.

It does none of us any good since none of us understand what your vision is. You say you were focussing on the sim and what makes them real – but you removed many of the developmental milestones that make a sim who they are. Your explanation of your vision sounds lovely, but it is completely at odds to what family players are experiencing in game.

4. Reconsider your decision to veer away from ‘normal life’ simulation.

It was the very heart of your game. Some interesting points on this topic can be found here: Life Simulator vs Sims 4

5. Make a public statement regarding the omission of family play, and what you intend to do about it, in no uncertain terms.

6. Bring back Ask a Guru with less restrictions.

If our more pressing questions have been addressed in official announcements I think you’ll find these sessions to be less prone to drama and derailment.

7. Release a series of developer diaries on the recovery process you outlined in step 5.

8. Start treating your official forums as the resource that it is.

Whether you want feedback on a specific point, are brainstorming for new ideas, or want to get some answers to a survey, we’re here for you! Why pay small focus groups when you have a huge captive audience literally chomping at the bit to have their say? We want to help. Use this information in conjunction with your game telemetry. Or, better yet, take your game telemetry out back, and shoot it.

9. Encourage your social media followers to come to the forums by directing them to polls, contests, and various events outlined in step 8.

The more simmers are here, the more return you will see out of step 8. I think you’ll find it’s easier for a customer to give comprehensive feedback when they are not limited to 140 characters.

10. Profit! :p

@SimGuruDrake you might want to look at this! Well I am guessing you don't, but you should!

I don't know about after harvesting or not, but it sounds like you need to replant to fix them. You could try letting them mature then planting from the produce? It depends how patient you feel...

I'll try it out, but i'm just concerned with this fix if it means you have to replant. Because how can i replant stuff in non-editable spaces?!
    One teen (not of my household, so i can't pick it up)) left his homework book on a picnic table in the non-editable public space. It has been lying there next to my house for two whole generations now and while it's kind of a running joke, it also drives me nuts lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top