Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It Suddenly Went Dark

So I started playing a game with my sim named Rain. (I just thought it was cool that that name showed up in the randomizer.) So I had made a nice little home for her on this lonely island she's "stranded" on. Definitely not an expert builder, but I'm still proud of it.

Screenshot-1743_zpszkodxbo9.jpg

Then, while Rain was spending her first night on this island, I got a message saying, "Rain wonders why the sky got dark all of a sudden." Then BOOM, huge meteor lands right outside her new home I spent an hour on!

Screenshot-1756_zps3uzs05c9.jpg

That is one big meteor. I still can't believe it, I've never had that happen before! (Don't have ITF btw.) Then...

Screenshot-1761_zpsvlqcyenr.jpg

Really confused about that pic. What was that big white blob? It never left behind a meteor, there was only one gigantic one from the first hit. No more, did cause more explosions and started fires though. Landed smack in the middle of the house too, right on top of Rain. I'm surprised she's still alive.

Screenshot-1763_zpsurcxu7hs.jpg

This is what that disaster did to her home. Turned it to ashes.

Screenshot-1767_zpsbzqz5yy4.jpg

Dang it! Now I have to rebuild it and she has NO MONEY, so time to start fishing. I guess the game really doesn't want to make this easy on her. Has anybody else experienced something like this? For me it's rare, actually it's the first time this has happened. I'd forgotten it could even happen. I guess I'm just lucky it didn't kill her. She would have ended up like my first legacy founder, who caught fire and burned on the first day.
Wearing a gas mask to flex on the coronavirus.

Comments

• duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited August 2015
    Try selling the meteor. They usually sell for a good chunk of simoleons. Eww. I just reread. It didn't leave a rock to sell? Ugh!
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • ARRenschARRensch Posts: 694 Member
    @duhboy2u2 thankfully the first hit left a really big one. It was the second that didn't leave any. Second caused the most damage though, least it could do was give me a few more. :( Thanks for reminding me I could sell the meteors though, otherwise I probably would've just left it there.
    Any time. Sadly I think the big ones only sell for like 5000? Probably not enough to rebuild.
    The meteor was maybe twice the size as my sim, but sadly only $2,991. Scrap from the explosions was only $52, leaving my sim with $3,043 to rebuild. Well, at least the furniture I chose was cheap and hey, it's better than nothing. :)
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Meteors come with Ambitions. In the more than three years since I started playing, I've only had two.
    Had a satellite fall on a sim and kill him and his new bride once. Can't remember if that was TS2 or TS3 though. They'd just moved in and decided to look at the stars.
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    Had a satellite fall on a sim and kill him and his new bride once. Can't remember if that was TS2 or TS3 though. They'd just moved in and decided to look at the stars.

I'll remember to never look at the stars.

Earlier this month I had a sim get struck by lightning for the first time. Seriously, this month has been crazy, it's just released everything it's been holding in! Lightning was hilarious though. My sim recycled the newspaper and then I debated whether or not to get the bills. She didn't have nearly enough money to pay it, but I thought I'd stick it in her inventory so she wouldn't have to go all the way back outside later. So she grabbed the bills and right then she got stuck in lightning. If she hadn't had touched those bills, she wouldn't have been hit. (She survived somehow, that sim is invincible or something.)

So I'll try to avoid paying bills in the rain.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    I'm sorry it caused trouble for you but wow, that is pretty rare for it to happen on the first night. Most people play for years with Ambitions installed and never see one.

I had one hit Liam O'Dourke and I made a thread about it:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/830567/meteor-kills-liam-odourke-picture-heavy/p1
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Is this deserted island the extent of your world or is there more to it we are not seeing? Think of it this way, if the dice were rolled and a meteor were to fall, it has to land somewhere. You may not have given it enough targets (lots) to have landed elsewhere in town.

If there really is an entire town with many lots besides that one then yeah, that's really bad luck. I probably would have reverted to a prior save and not played through it.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    igazor wrote: »
    Is this deserted island the extent of your world or is there more to it we are not seeing? Think of it this way, if the dice were rolled and a meteor were to fall, it has to land somewhere. You may not have given it enough targets (lots) to have landed elsewhere in town.

If there really is an entire town with many lots besides that one then yeah, that's really bad luck. I probably would have reverted to a prior save and not played through it.

It's one of the hidden islands from Isla Paradiso. The world has a lot of places it could fall and for some reason it chose a random hidden island. Oh well... (And yeah I cheated once to get to the islands because I wanted to jump straight into the castaway part.)

I thought about quitting without saving and I had already saved right before she fell asleep so I'd be losing nothing since the meteor woke her up. But I went ahead and just worked through it, made the game much more interesting. And while the meteor didn't give much, it gave more than enough to rebuild. I did leave out the fridge (the pantry thing that came with pets), which probably is what drained my money in the first place. But hey, she can cook fish and fruit over the fire so I'm good. That feels more like a castaway meal anyway. :)
    I'm sorry it caused trouble for you but wow, that is pretty rare for it to happen on the first night. Most people play for years with Ambitions installed and never see one.

I had one hit Liam O'Dourke and I made a thread about it:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/830567/meteor-kills-liam-odourke-picture-heavy/p1

I'm really not that upset over the meteor just because it made it more interesting. Just disappointed I'd have to rebuild. But wow, that was definitely an inconvenient meteor. I guess I should be thankful my sim never died, then I really would have to start over.
  • KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    Wow! I really liked your little house you made before the meteor. It looks like a shelter she could have made herself. :)

I've only had two meteors ever, and luckily no deaths yet. I think it's funny how a meteor will really come out of nowhere, like you're not planning for it at all and suddenly BAM! But I guess I'm also glad they don't happen very often. :D
    giphy.gif

• yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    ARRensch wrote: »
    The meteor was maybe twice the size as my sim, but sadly only $2,991. Scrap from the explosions was only $52, leaving my sim with $3,043 to rebuild. Well, at least the furniture I chose was cheap and hey, it's better than nothing. :)
    Didn't you get compensation from the insurance company?? They're supposed to call and reimburse your sim for the lost property.....
  • mooredt21mooredt21 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Sorry for the mishap, but what a cool story.
    <----LOQUACIOUS LURKER HERE

***Please bring back Sims 2 style storytelling features and make them publishable.***
    ARRensch wrote: »
    Didn't you get compensation from the insurance company?? They're supposed to call and reimburse your sim for the lost property.....

Weird thing was I didn't. Maybe because it wasn't my sim's main house, just an owned lot? I had wondered about that too.
  • FuzzySlippersFuzzySlippers Posts: 81 Member
    Slightly off topic, but I just love your castaway shack!
    @FuzzySlippers, thank you!
  • trollnexustrollnexus Posts: 508 Member
    I once had a meteor hit a school...since it was a rabbithole and since apparently you can't ditch school even if you know a meteor's coming, my sim died, as well as all her classmates. I had to watch two dozen teens and kids die, as the grim reaper can only do one at a time. *shudders*

Anyway, my condolences for your sim's awesome house D: But that was a pretty nifty build before it happened, and hey, it makes for great storytelling!
    trollnexus wrote: »
    I once had a meteor hit a school...since it was a rabbithole and since apparently you can't ditch school even if you know a meteor's coming, my sim died, as well as all her classmates. I had to watch two dozen teens and kids die, as the grim reaper can only do one at a time. *shudders*

Anyway, my condolences for your sim's awesome house D: But that was a pretty nifty build before it happened, and hey, it makes for great storytelling!

I didn't know a meteor could hit a rabbithole. But I knew school was a death trap... (Yup, I'm still bitter about that horrible place.)

Your sim's parents must've been devastated, that's crazy!
  • trollnexustrollnexus Posts: 508 Member
    Yeah, meteors can hit rabbitholes. I've heard of people complaining that their sims in the military or science careers died, too. (Yeah, school is a terrible, terrible place. Especially high school.)

Yeah there was lots of crying all around town. I never knew something so apocalyptic could happen in this game! But meteor strikes are super rare in general. Every hour your sim is outside, there is a 0.001% chance, and that chance is bumped up to 0.01% if your sim is currently using a telescope. (I could be off by a decimal point, but I think those were the numbers.) There's just some dice constantly rolling in the background each time you have a sim outside.

So...you know. Make her a homebody XD