Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

-: ATTN - if your game won't start, READ HERE :-

Comments

• Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Yes, that should work.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • wendyp7wendyp7 Posts: 18 New Member
    Ok, thanks so much! :)
    Just a couple more questions, if I follow the instructions will the changes be made permanently to my computer or just to the Sims 3 game? Also, should I do this with my EPs still installed (I have University Life, Pets and Seasons). Sorry if these are stupid questions, I've just never done anything like this before and I want to make sure I understand it properly.
    I meant "dumb questions" (autocorrect!) and lastly, does it matter that have the Intel HD Graphics 6000 graphics card in my macbook air? Do you think that'll mean i'll have to change the updates?
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    wendyp7 wrote: »
    I meant "dumb questions" (autocorrect!) and lastly, does it matter that have the Intel HD Graphics 6000 graphics card in my macbook air? Do you think that'll mean i'll have to change the updates?

You have to put in the details for your graphics card, the Intel HD 6000, not Intel Iris.

You are changing a game file, not a system file so no, it won't screw up your Mac. Just make sure you follow the instructions and make a copy of the GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files so if you do make a mistake you can just put them back, replacing your changes.

apple-signature.png
    So I would write "IntelHD6000" in the places he wrote "IntelIrisPro"?
    So I would write "IntelHD6000" in the places he wrote "IntelIrisPro"?

I've no idea, why not give it a go and find out? :)

apple-signature.png
    edited August 2015
    Ok thank you for helping me! I'll let you know if it works :)
    Sadly, it still doesn't seem to be working :( I tried updating the files the same way as you would for the macbook pro (substituting my macbook air's details in of course) and i'm still getting the same response, no change... Any suggestions?
    Sadly, it still doesn't seem to be working :( I tried updating the files the same way as you would for the macbook pro (substituting my macbook air's details in of course) and i'm still getting the same response, no change... Any suggestions?

:( Unfortunately no. It really is up to EA to come out with a fix.

apple-signature.png
    edited August 2015
    @wendyp7

Actually, you could try something.
    1. Click on the Apple logo > About This Mac > System Report > Graphics/Displays. Note down the number next to Device ID (it may be 0x1622? Just been into my local Apple store to have a look, the Device ID is 0x1626).
    2. Navigate to the GraphicsCard.sgr file and open it with TextEdit.
    3. Scroll down to near the bottom until you can see these lines of text:
      graphicscard-file.png
    1. After the line card 0x016A "Server IvyBridge GT2" hit Return to create a new line.
    2. In that new space type in card (your Device ID) "Mobile Broadwell GT3"

Let us know how you get on :)
    Post edited by BluebellFlora on
    apple-signature.png
    It worked! My game is able to run now :)
    My only concern is that the fan seems to be working awfully hard to cool down my macbook... Could this cause damage later on?
    edited August 2015
    It worked! My game is able to run now :)
    My only concern is that the fan seems to be working awfully hard to cool down my macbook... Could this cause damage later on?

I'm so pleased!!! I had a feeling it may have something to do with the processor too, that was the Broadwell bit. Can you confirm what you did so we can help others?

As for the fans, make sure your Mac is elevated so air can circulate underneath.

Well done :D

@igazor it was the processor too!

apple-signature.png
    First of all, thank you so much for helping me! :) I'm really glad we could get it to work!

Ok, so what I did is basically followed the steps that @tmethei explained in his thread, but I substituted in the updates I would have to use for my computer (because I have a Macbook air instead)

I started off by backing up my GraphicsCard.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files (I saved them outside of the Sims 3 folder just to make sure the copies wouldn't confuse things)

Then I went and checked the information and found this...
    Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
    Device ID: 0x1626

So I went into the GraphicsCard.sgr file with TextEdit and changed these lines...
    card 0x0152 "Desktop IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x0156 "Mobile IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x015A "Server IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x015E "Reserved - IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x0162 "Desktop IvyBridge GT2"
    card 0x0166 "Mobile IvyBridge GT2"
    card 0x016A "Server IvyBridge GT2"

With this...
    card 0x1626 "IntelHD6000"

After that was done I opened the GraphicsRules.sgr and replaced this line...
    elseif (match("${cardName}", "*IvyBridge*"))

With this...
    elseif (match("${cardName}", "*IntelHD6000*"))

Ok so lastly I added in the final change that you told me to do...

After the line card 0x016A "Server IvyBridge GT2" (which of course is now: card 0x1626 "IntelHD6000") hit Return to create a new line.
    In that new space type in: card 0x1626 "Mobile Broadwell GT3"

And then I opened the game and it started almost immediately! Problem solved :)
    @wendyp7 I'm so pleased we finally worked it out :) Thank you for explaining what you did.
    apple-signature.png
    No problem! I hope this can help some other people too :)
    edited August 2015
    Update: I had been playing my Sims 3 game a couple of times today and sometimes it would start great, but others it wouldn't (don't get me wrong though, this is 100x better than it not starting at all). In hopes of getting it to work again I did something that I read earlier in this thread and moved my Sims 3 (tm) folder to my desktop and this worked really well, my game started up again!

Everything was great until I accidentally deleted the original file... Now whenever I click on anything in the folder (EPs, Uninstaller etc.) it says it cannot open because the original copy can't be found... Is there any way to fix this? (I hadn't set up time machine) I'm really sorry, as a new Mac user i'm still finding everything super difficult to get used to and I end up making a lot of mistakes. :(
    Post edited by wendyp7 on
    Update: I had been playing my Sims 3 game a couple of times today and sometimes it would start great, but others it wouldn't (don't get me wrong though, this is 100x better than it not starting at all). In hopes of getting it to work again I did something that I read earlier in this thread and moved my Sims 3 (tm) folder to my desktop and this worked really well, my game started up again!

Everything was great until I accidentally deleted the original file... Now whenever I click on anything in the folder (EPs, Uninstaller etc.) it says it cannot open because the original copy can't be found... Is there any way to fix this? (I hadn't set up time machine) I'm really sorry, as a new Mac user i'm still finding everything super difficult to get used to and I end up making a lot of mistakes. :(

I think you've moved the wrong folder. You should be moving the folder from Documents > Electronic Arts. I think you've moved the file from your Applications > The Sims 3 folder? If that's the case just move the file back into your Applications > The Sims 3 folder.

apple-signature.png
    edited August 2015
    Yes, I noticed that later on... I think the problem is that I accidentally deleted the original file (The Sims (TM) 3), so now none of it's contents will open. From my understanding though this should only be a problem if I ever want to uninstall the game? And there should be a way around that...

As for my actual Sims game, it's still a little bit flakey in terms of when it will start/won't start and I can't really notice any patterns, but i'll let you know later if I do :)

I'm just worried because every time the game doesn't start I need to force quit and restart my computer in order to try again. Couldn't doing this over and over again cause damage in the future...
    Force Quitting an App won't damage your computer. Why are you restarting your Mac as well?

Is the Sims 3 App still in the Trash? Can you just drag it back into the Applications > The Sims 3 folder?
    apple-signature.png
    Just updated the opening post with a link to my really comprehensive guide on fixing the issue for all affected Macs.
    apple-signature.png
    edited August 2015
    I have to restart my macbook each time because when I try to open the game after force quitting it tells me that i can't because the game is still running. The only way i've found to fix this is by restarting my computer.

No, it's not in the trash anymore.

That's great! It's really nice of you to mention me in the guide you posted :)
    edited August 2015
    Go to Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor. You'll see the game in a long list of processes, probably highlighted in red. Select it then click on the little X in the top left corner of the window, below the green, red and yellow Xs.

You're welcome. I've been waiting for weeks for a MacBook Air user to finally try the fix and post their results, it's the only way we can work out fixes :)

apple-signature.png
    edited August 2015
    Is this for quitting the game? I can't find it in the list :(

I just can't help but feel like i've damaged it in some way already (I restarted probably 10 times the other day, in hopes of getting the Sims 3 to work). I'm probably just being overly cautious, but I just got my macbook about a week ago and it's like my baby LOL.

Also, should I keep The Sims (TM) 3 folder copy on my computer even though it's not doing anything? Or would it be better to just delete it.
    Post edited by wendyp7 on
    @wendyp7 It's for quitting the process which thinks the game is still running.

If you were restarting your Mac properly you won't damage it. Shutting it down by holding down the power button does have the potential to damage it. Might be worth completely uninstalling and reinstalling your game again because you've screwed up the game though :)
    apple-signature.png