Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tell me about mistakes you've made while playing The Sims 3

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    br560 wrote: »
    I was too horrified to get a screenshot, but a few years back, I forgot it's best not to sit things that have flames near the edge of the lot because they're more prone to catch the lot on fire.

It was a children's birthday party out by the pool and my sim child was coming to blow out the candles but this fire started and spread and a few children and adults who were standing close by and they caught on fire and burned to death, a few others standing around freaking out were suddenly on fire, even a firefighter who was using the extinguisher to try to put the fire out burned and died when he caught on fire...

The fire was still going when I quit the game without saving, but if I hadn't I'm sure my sims would've came out fine physically. They got out of the way in time, lol.

I never knew that birthday cakes can cause fires... woahhh

I've had so many birthday deaths... *cry* Those birthday cakes are ebil! Seriously though, my sims often age up without a party if I like them. Don't want them to burn up on their birthday!

That said, I have never had one cause that kind of destruction. Poor ApparentlyAwesome!

The worst birthday tragedy was this.
    I had a family. The father was already dead. He died while inventing something, which left her a single mother and widow, to raise their six children alone. The older kids were already teens, and there was one who was child, and she was pregnant with the last one at the time of his death.

Over time, the three oldest kids grew up, and had children of their own. So mom decided to have a family reunion, at this birthday party, this was for the youngest child. So in a household full of family members, both with children, grandchildren, and spouses, the darn birthday cake decided to catch on fire. It ended up killing over half of the family. I could have just quit and started over again, but decided to just let it play out. The mother, and the youngest were one of the few who were able to avoid this death trap.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2015
    The biggest mistake was to just save games in the beginning. That alsmost cost me my family when things went wrong, I could only just save them from destruction and had to start all over again with them. After that I've always made sure I 'save as' and number the files.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • OriginalMaraOriginalMara Posts: 1,669 Member
    Not really a horrible mistake, but...

So when I played Sims 1, I had a Sim named Jason Octavius.

When I got Sims 3, I decided to "re-create" him there. But when I was naming him, I added a letter to his last name, making it: Octavious. Which didn't realize till later.

I was kind of horrified and almost went right to City Hall to change it.

Now, though, it's kind of growing on me, and I'm not sure if I want to fix it back or not.
  • br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member
    Oh and leaving my game unpaused. Oops
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
  • ARRenschARRensch Posts: 694 Member
    Oh and leaving my game unpaused. Oops
    Oh so many times. Although it's usually I don't pause it before saving and then while it's saving I leave to go grab a quick lunch and when I come back upstairs, a full sim day has gone by and no one did anything productive.

When I was first trying to use cheats, I misread the instructions and pressed ctrl+shift+c to open the cheat box... except not at the same time. I was so frustrated, wondering why it wasn't working. That was the day I also found out that pressing c takes pictures. Lots of pictures.

And once I decided to start a legacy. On the very first day it started, my founder caught fire from me placing a rug in front of the fireplace and because they had a bathtub and not a shower, there was no way that they could put themselves out. There was no fire alarm. My legacy ended the day it started.

In my second household ever made, I had a mother and her toddler aged daughter. I thought (and still think) she was the most adorable child in the world and spent every second of the mother's life with the child until she fell asleep. (Eventually she had to get a job though.) Suddenly I realized the child was going to age up and I didn't want that. I didn't know you could turn off aging and so after she aged up, I deleted the save.
    Wearing a gas mask to flex on the coronavirus.
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I was too horrified to get a screenshot, but a few years back, I forgot it's best not to sit things that have flames near the edge of the lot because they're more prone to catch the lot on fire.

It was a children's birthday party out by the pool and my sim child was coming to blow out the candles but this fire started and spread and a few children and adults who were standing close by and they caught on fire and burned to death, a few others standing around freaking out were suddenly on fire, even a firefighter who was using the extinguisher to try to put the fire out burned and died when he caught on fire...

The fire was still going when I quit the game without saving, but if I hadn't I'm sure my sims would've came out fine physically. They got out of the way in time, lol.

I never knew that birthday cakes can cause fires... woahhh

I had the same thing happen as well. Weird. At least nobody got caught on fire and died. The dad sim put out the fire before the fireman got there.

My favorite fire had to be at the University. I didn't turn off the fireplace. Boom and bang there was some fire. I learned to change out the fireplaces in university.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Yeah - I love fireplaces, but learning that I really needed to upgrade them or have Fireproof Homestead was a steep learning curve.

My best accident was playing in a highrise in Bridgeport when I had first gotten Late Night. I read up on what cheats I needed to be able to build in the apartment building and place items not allowed by the HMO - like fireplaces.

So I make a totally swank urban crib for my Sim, and he's doing the Celebrity thing and getting to know people and decides to have a party and invite a 5-star Celebrity, the famous Pop Icon, Lola Belle. Wanting to make sure the loft looks its best, he lights the fireplace before stepping into the next room to mix Party Drinks just as the guests begin to arrive.

"Oh! It's Lola Belle! Let me finish these drinks so I can greet... OMG! The living room is on fire!"

Guests continue to arrive, all running INTO the burning room to panic at the fire. There are so many, my Sim has a hard time getting to the blaze with a fire extinguisher. The fire spreads.

Oh, there's a smoke detector, sure... and a fireman comes to the lot, and gets into line for the elevator behind the party guests that continue to arrive, panic, run around and

"OMG! Lola Belle is ON FIRE!"

A party guest rushes to the rescue trying to extinguish her. He catches on fire!

Doomful notes! It's Grimmy! Lola has died. Her rescuer has died. OMG, another guest is on fire!

The firefighter makes it up the elevator, finally. Three Sim deaths by fire later, we manage to contain the blaze.

"Sim's Name's party was a roaring success! Sims all over town will be talking about this one for years!"

Sadly before I learned to grab screen shots, so I don't have any pics.
  • ARRenschARRensch Posts: 694 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »

"Sim's Name's party was a roaring success! Sims all over town will be talking about this one for years!"

Sadly before I learned to grab screen shots, so I don't have any pics.

Oh, haha! Nice writing on that one, I like the narration. If there's a fire, the party is always s success. Always.
    Wearing a gas mask to flex on the coronavirus.
  • JorvanJorvan Posts: 43 Member
    I'm not sure if it was a bug or if this sim was just that bitter but my teenage sim snubbed his best friend and no matter what I did, I could never repair the relationship. Like seriously, every time my sim tried to talk to her, he got ignored. I haven't used the snub interaction since....
    Screenshot-42.jpg

Come check out my story
  • Llandros2012Llandros2012 Posts: 620 Member
    I just made one of my mistakes with Sims 3 - I decided to play the game without the use of any mods and the game played beautifully. Everything has been running just great. However, there was a family that I needed but had to wait as the kid needed to age up before I could use them. So, I went about my business and when the time was right, I go to visit....only they aren't there anymore (it's only been about a week). They didn't get relocated to another house but completely removed from my game. I don't even have them in my relationship panel anymore.

My mistake was forgetting that EA's story progression will randomly select families to just delete for no apparent reason. I did notice that it gave me 4 single adult families, 2 elders, 1 adult and 1 young adult but I don't need them. The family was what I needed and now I either have to make my own to replace them or drop what I intended to do. I REALLY hate the emigration from the game and so I am putting the Story Progression mod from NRaas back in before any other saves get messed up. Not happy....not happy at all at the moment.
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Over using the cheat codes. Then the Games Lags LOL
  • xFalsifyxFalsify Posts: 3 New Member
    I don't know if this would even count as a mistake but since I can't think of anything else..

I wanted to start a legacy so I made my main character and had 3 kids with her, when the eldest one grew up into a young adult I was so excited to move out and watch and see how the rest of the family would do and see how many nieces/nephews my siblings would give me... but alas, I didn't know yet that EA's story progression is absolutely worthless and nothing happens with it, it was very anticlimactic. Thankfully now I have the story progression mod and I got it just in time for my 2nd generation in my newer game. Yay!
  • trollnexustrollnexus Posts: 508 Member
    Yeah, birthday cakes have like a 1% chance of catching on fire. I find it amusing but also horrifying XD

My mistake was that my inventor sim caught on fire while inventing, and I had no idea that could happen. I let just him die...

Later on, on this forum, someone told me that he could have just jumped into a shower and put himself out. Oops XD
  • Llandros2012Llandros2012 Posts: 620 Member
    xFalsify wrote: »
    I don't know if this would even count as a mistake but since I can't think of anything else..

I wanted to start a legacy so I made my main character and had 3 kids with her, when the eldest one grew up into a young adult I was so excited to move out and watch and see how the rest of the family would do and see how many nieces/nephews my siblings would give me... but alas, I didn't know yet that EA's story progression is absolutely worthless and nothing happens with it, it was very anticlimactic. Thankfully now I have the story progression mod and I got it just in time for my 2nd generation in my newer game. Yay!

That's exactly what I have had happen and it really does seem to be worthless. I hope you enjoy the story progression mod. It makes a HUGE difference!
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I remeber when I didn't have Mods installed and tried to play TS3 I had all kind of issues with tht EA bug-fest and was forced to get Mods installed to fix the issues.I wouldn't try playing my regular legacies without having my Mods in the game to provide w roking story progression more like the TS2 version and the option for rotational play in the town.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • sarahjayehsarahjayeh Posts: 15 Member
    edited August 2015
    I decided to do a challenge where I put 8 sims in a house and only control one of them. The idea was to create some sort of "Real World" situation where there was lots of fighting and drama, so I gave all the sims a lot of negative traits and I would try to fulfill as many of my sims wishes as possible. Almost as soon as I moved them into the house, my sim (a party animal) rolled a wish to buy an FX machine so I put one down in the main "party area" of my house. One of the sims I wasn't controlling was apparently a pyromaniac, so naturally almost as soon as the object was placed she went over and changed the setting to fire.

Needless to say, this did not end well. Within only about 1 sim hour of moving them in, all 8 sims were dead. It was really tragic and I still feel really bad about it.
    Oh my god! I didn't know that that fire effect was real :O That makes for some terrific storytelling, though.
  • SelvaxriSelvaxri Posts: 274 Member
    PalmArrow wrote: »
    When the first Sim I ever played had her first birthday, I accidentally aged her directly from YA to elder. (That is to say, I didn't notice she had already aged up to adult by herself before the guests arrived. I had no idea what that weird shaking thing meant. So I had her blow out the candles on the cake, and she became an elder. On top of that, all the guests thought it was a terrible party. She went to sleep old and unhappy. I deleted the save and started a new game with her.)

I did that in my first game, I didn't know that "Announce Birthday" triggered an age up, then she went to blow out the candles of her cake.

I made the mistake of forcing my male ghost sim to Try for Baby with a lover with less than 5 hours remaining on his timer. When the child was born, it glitched the game. I couldn't change the active sim. I had to kick the child out to fix the glitch.

Aside from a few glitches, i've been learning what i can and shouldn't do in my Sim games.

Console Player- Don't have a PC to play yet.

Stories-
    Simple Life
    Ghost Fling/ GF- Naughty Uncle
    Mommy Dearest
    Casanova
    Home Wrecker
    Reynoso Legacy
    Phantom Romance- Experimental game, failure.
    Unlikely Couple
    Random- Kozen, Clique
  • MissCeeMissCee Posts: 1,309 Member
    The worse thing? The worst mistake is not stopping to save the game periodically.

Not only have I made this mistake to my tear-filled detriment, I stupidly continue to make it from time to time. Sometimes I even realize it and I caution myself to stop and save, stop and save now! And I intend to...in just another moment, just as soon as I move that wall, or add that final bit of decor to finish a room.

Just a moment, becomes in a minute, becomes when I take my next break, becomes a sad shoulda, woulda, coulda when the game freezes or crashes.

I have no one to blame but myself; I know better. I just get so caught up in decor and remodeling and building, etc, I lose my mind and often my project.

<3Blessings,
    MissCee
    @MissCee if you're interested, there is an Nraas mod called Saver, which does nothing to your game except to remind you to save every 30 real-life minutes XD You can also adjust the minutes to be however long you want, but 30 is the default. I use it now, because I've been burned way too many times before.
  • SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    When I first got Sims 3 I made this small family, the daughter (teenager) went to the swimming pool in Sunset Valley and I was exploring the places with her, I forget to check her needs because I was busy with going trough the town when I suddenly got pulled back only to see she died in the pool (I was a horrible player back then), so ofcourse the grim reaper came and that was my first time playing Sims 3 :D
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • DorothyLove12DorothyLove12 Posts: 36 Member
    Decided I wanted twins to I had my pregnant lady dance to "Kids" music all day and night. Ended up with quadruplets :#
    tumblr_inline_neai38Kp5p1qcra7v.gif
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Never try to age toddlers up in cas...it will make your game crash instantly! Well at least for me it did..weird.
    giphy.gif

• Dylan.WalshDylan.Walsh Posts: 115 Member
    The only and terrible problem that I had with The Sims 3 was caused by a bad CC. Those boots made the baby to look dark and also added to all sims in all the different life stages from female to male. The baby also deformed with lines upper lines around my home lot.
    I never had any way to unistall those for some reason the item installed on files inside the game. I didn´t have any option than erase the game to start all over again. In order to protect my saves I saved the most important files.
    After that I spent 15 hours to reinstall the games and the CC along with the sims3packages from
    the Store.

Since that day I always check every item before installing.

Quick guide and review of this problem here.

http://findingbadccsims3.blogspot.com/2011/12/sims-3-those-🐸🐸🐸🐸-boots-and-how-to.html
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,016 Member
    edited August 2015
    My worst mistakes were made in Sims 2. I didn't understand about aspirations at first. My Knowledge sim ended up talking to the volleyball Professor von Ball and finally got a visit from the Sim Shrink. He also went out to the curb and started begging for money with a tin cup. I had no idea what made him so nuts! :s

Also in Sims 2, I sent a sim to work hungry...or was it tired? Anyway, when he came home, he fell down on the sidewalk and died! :o Left a little dog alone with the Grim Reaper. Game over. I had to start again from an earlier save.

In Sims 3, my main mistakes in the beginning were about over-tasking the game engine: too much building, too many added lots, too much collecting, too many objects on the home lot, too many memories. I ended up with a save that took forever to load and finally had to sell a bunch of stuff and move that family to a new world. :/